PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys like nirvana

ninja9393
June 3rd, 2007, 23:08
i was having a flame war on youtube with a guy who said kurt cobain was a waste of time.

I think nirvana is a great band

Triv1um
June 3rd, 2007, 23:10
Too be honest I'm not a big fan of there music.

I think kirt cobain is a terrible musician but a good song writer.

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 23:13
Untalented music. Alternative rock must die.

ICE
June 3rd, 2007, 23:13
kurt was the man. unbelievable artist. his guitar playing was perfect for his style.

love them.

quzar
June 4th, 2007, 02:05
I almost lost my virginity to "Rape Me", a scene which, it turns out, was being videotaped by a camera my little sister hid.

weirdelf
June 4th, 2007, 02:07
I liked some of their songs.

VampDude
June 4th, 2007, 03:14
I have all Nirvana's albums, the songs were cool but what made them cooler was that Kurt Cobain was never sober when he recorded. Which if you listen to their last album "In Utero" you can hear in Kurt's voice that he's been drinking and possibly drugged up, freakishly cool! :D

Classic80s
June 4th, 2007, 03:21
I only like 5 or 6 songs by them, the others suck imo.

ninja9393
June 4th, 2007, 03:26
my top 5 nirvana songs

1. Come as you are
2. Heart Shaped Box
3. Smells like teen spirit
4. Lithium
5. In bloom

ICE
June 4th, 2007, 03:38
in utero was their best album imo.

http://youtube.com/watch/v/M63ZdfCFehU

http://youtube.com/watch/v/fIuKo2Srn14

good stuff ;)

VampDude
June 4th, 2007, 04:04
In Utero was said to be Kurt Cobain's ANTI-Nevermind album which was supposedly to go against everything from the last album (I think I read that in a magazine back in 2005)...

...I don't know why thou?

ICE
June 4th, 2007, 04:06
honestly smells like teen spirit kinda sucked. in utero was almost new wave and that was awesome.

VampDude
June 4th, 2007, 04:16
Nirvana albums in order from the best (well what I think the order is)

#1 In Utero
#2 Incesticide
#3 Nevermind
#4 Bleach

The others are either LIVE or Compilations, so they don't count

pibs
June 4th, 2007, 04:17
bleach was pretty cool cuz of that one song but i don't really like grunge.

ninja9393
June 4th, 2007, 04:21
i liked nevermind

ExcruciationX
June 4th, 2007, 04:50
I'm not a big fan of them.

SnesR0X
June 4th, 2007, 16:40
Foo Fighters is way better

bah
June 4th, 2007, 17:01
Used to be my favourite band (when I was a teenager).

Favourite song would probably be D7 (from the nevermind tour CD or bootlegs) or Lithium.

Its nice to be able to play any of their songs without any sheet music/tabs within a cpl mins of messing around :)

steve520
June 4th, 2007, 17:37
my top 5 nirvana songs

1. Come as you are
2. Heart Shaped Box
3. Smells like teen spirit
4. Lithium
5. In bloom

Agreed!

ICE
June 4th, 2007, 17:38
have you guys ever heard them just improv? it was incredible.

Triv1um
June 4th, 2007, 20:53
No really, they sound so rough they can make anything work.

As in musical tallent, they suck so badly.

ExcruciationX
June 6th, 2007, 05:14

Agreed.

SnesR0X
June 6th, 2007, 05:21
Agreed.

OMG spam.

lol, I agree with you, to a degree. I liked some of their songs, but not much of em

ICE
June 6th, 2007, 05:22

i disagree. kurts melodies were awesome. most of their popular songs were just heavy. listen to some of the lesser known ones or listen to their unplugged album.

plus does anyone really rock harder than this?
http://youtube.com/watch/v/1rRukQikoZ0

ExcruciationX
June 6th, 2007, 05:28
lol, I agree with you, to a degree. I liked some of their songs...
No ISO talk!

ICE
June 6th, 2007, 05:51
oh and this pretty much is awesom :D
http://youtube.com/watch/v/209ArurxVG4

the_eternal_dark
June 6th, 2007, 09:59
have you guys ever heard them just improv? it was incredible.

Hell yeah!

bah
June 6th, 2007, 11:01
I like this vid:
3limq8huF80

BTW, if your under 18 (bleach is from 89) then keep in mind your commenting on a band/music scene that existed before you were born. When I was 13 I didn't have a whole lot of respect for the likes of the rolling stones, Beatles or Bob Dylan(his old stuff), you live you learn.

I'm just glad I grew up before the goths cross bred with the new-age 'punks' and gave birth to the whole emo crowd.

EDIT: Cant have a nirvana thread without a mention of the pixies :)
tTTPv8_95KY

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 13:14
i disagree. kurts melodies were awesome. most of their popular songs were just heavy. listen to some of the lesser known ones or listen to their unplugged album.

plus does anyone really rock harder than this?
http://youtube.com/watch/v/1rRukQikoZ0

Nirvana have had a good portion of their songs covered by other bands, so Nirvana in many ways still rock! :D

Yobumtin
June 6th, 2007, 20:27
Well in my opinion Kurt Cobain was one of the greatest musicians. Maybe not so guitar wise but his voice is unique. After reading his biography I'm really interested in his life and how his death came to be. My favorite songs are "Half the Man I Used to Be", "Come as You are", "Breed" , "Heart Shaped Box", and "Lake of Fire".

ICE
June 6th, 2007, 20:34
ive never seen a guy smoke and sing at the same time..

anywho they played "baby music" on purpose. they wanted to keep it simple and focus on melody. they had some of the most unique songs since oh i dunno the pixies.

Dull Blade
June 6th, 2007, 21:07
I'm just glad I grew up before the goths cross bred with the new-age 'punks' and gave birth to the whole emo crowd.

Who would of ever thought two not too bad groups people could turn into such a disaster. I like alot of punk music and alot of goth music. It like they took all the worst qualities of those groups formed them together, found it wasn't bad enough and decided to get some more bad qualities to put into. Thats EMO in a nut shell.

Anyways, I like Nirvana. I have a few of their cds but I dont lie their over used songs like "Smells like teen spirit". I liked it at first but just like kurt i grew sick of it.

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2007, 23:31

Thanks to Nirvana and their untalented, sad, ugly music, you see a lot of emos. Also I saw a lot of emos listening Nirvana.
I miss the 80's, when the people enjoyed the life.

pt9087
June 7th, 2007, 00:44
Nirvana were crap! FFAF are the new age!

bah
June 7th, 2007, 09:37
Perhaps mainstream music was more 'cheery' in the 80s, but it was surely no less hollow and commercialized.

Listening to culture club or blondie (later, disco style blondie) wouldn't be making me any happier than 90s rock. The clash were great.

Nirvana became probably the most commercial rock band of the early 90s. Not in a guns n roses schlock rock way, but in the level of production, promotion and attention the lables were giving to the genre at the time.

But they still had some great songs.

Blaming nirvana for emos is like blaming the blues for them.
Music expressing sorrow or anger has existed a long time and is often much more meaningful than happy poppy songs.

That doesn't mean you should go and wallow in your self pity, dress in all black, wear eye makeup and cut yourself while in the fetal position because life is just too cruel.

To quote the man, bill hicks:
“Because you know if you play New Kids on the Block albums backwards they sound better. "Oh come on, Bill, they're the New Kids, don't pick on them, they're so good and they're so clean cut and they're such a good image for the children." **** that! When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who ****ing ROCKED! I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit! I want someone who plays from his ****ing HEART!”

souLLy
June 7th, 2007, 10:49
Nirvana fit into the Radiohead category for me: bands that make decent albums, are competent at what they do but are massively over-rated. I do however like Kurt's way of saying something obviously incredibly close to the bone and then saying something totally random afterwards to throw you off of the scent.

From the alternative scene of the early to mid 90s, I think the Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins were better. But all of them should be applauded for killing off hair metal.

quzar
June 7th, 2007, 11:14
Nirvana fit into the Radiohead category for me: bands that make decent albums, are competent at what they do but are massively over-rated. I do however like Kurt's way of saying something obviously incredibly close to the bone and then saying something totally random afterwards to throw you off of the scent.

From the alternative scene of the early to mid 90s, I think the Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins were better. But all of them should be applauded for killing off hair metal.

I agree. It's also amazing to note that the Chili peppers have been together for over 20 years. The self titled album came out in 84, and even though they weren't as ridiculously popular as they have become, they were performing when glam metal was still all the rage.

It's almost the most interesting little point that while the big sound rock metal people were ODing on coke (as was the style of the age) people like the peppers and nirvana were up to their necks in heroine. It really shows the big transition in the times.

Drugs via music:
40s-50s Morphine (Hank Williams)
50s-60s Bennies
60s-70s LSD (Hendrix)
70s-80s Coke (way too many)
80s-90s Heroine
90s - ? i unno... e?

Yea, I thought I had much more to say about that, and I probably could, but ya'll see the point.