PDA

View Full Version : Japan Wii’s a lot: 5-to-1 sales over the PS3!

gunntims0103
June 4th, 2007, 20:31
news via itwire (http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12643/532/)

Tokyo gaming research firm Enterbrain says that the Nintendo Wii is outselling the Sony PS3 by a factor of five to one in May, accelerating from four to one in April, in the latest bad PS3 news.

Sony can’t even get a lucky break in Japan, where the Wii is seriously outselling the PS3, as reported by Bloomberg. Bloomberg quotes the Tokyo gaming research company Enterbrain Inc with the information, and say that while Nintendo sold 251,794 Wii consoles, Sony only sold around 50,000 units.

This compares with 11,082 Xbox 360’s from Microsoft, showing they are doing even worse in Japan, although naturally they are still selling units at more than 2000 per week, while the Nintendo DS is doing to the PSP what the Wii is doing to the PS3: also outselling it five to one.

Enterbrain’s figures are 620,670 DS handheld consoles compared with only 123,673 PSP’s.

This is all despite the Wii having the worst graphics, standard definition instead of high definition, no hard disk, the inability to play DVD movies, no Blu-ray or HD DVD – but simply a unique control mechanism that has caught the imagination of people around the planet.

At figures of around 50,000 units sold for the PS3 in May, Sony are still selling over 10,000 PS3’s per week, which is nothing to be sneezed at, and as programmers release better quality PS3 games and that take better advantage of the PS3’s own motion sensing capabilities, we should start seeing an upsurge in PS3 sales.

But for now the Wii rules the roost, with a long hard slog ahead for Sony and Microsoft to take back the initiative, especially come the big holiday/Christmas season later this year, in what will be the biggest console gaming battle to be fought ever.

Give feedback via comment

Demolition49
June 5th, 2007, 04:00
Im glad to see nintendo are on top, i wonder what kind of war we are going to see next generation. amazingly powerfull consoles with amazing motion that is very refined. Were getting close to sci fi now lol.

Basil Zero
June 5th, 2007, 18:45
I'm happy to see Nintendo back in the top as well.

If a company's going to make a game system, they should make it affordable.

cswallstreet
June 5th, 2007, 21:32
Nintendo Deserves to be on top they helped create gaming afterall.

Man
June 5th, 2007, 22:07
Nintendo Wii, BEST SYSTEM EVER !!! well im not saying that out of pure fanboyism, because i usedto be a hardcore hater of all things nintendo, but after paying half the price of an xbox 360, and a quarter of the price of a PS3, im pretty dam happy, i love my Wii to peices.

alienanthropologist
June 6th, 2007, 05:50
Until recently, I'd completely forgotten about videogames. For me, they were a thing of my childhood. I enjoyed them then, but as I grew up and got a job and a house and resposibilities, there was no time to spend on such thing. My interests changed. Then came along the Wii.

And now I've gone back to my childhood years of being obsessed with videogames. The Wii's invigorated my interest in something which, to be honest, I had abandoned and to which I had no plans to return. People often label the Wii and the DS as "childish", but actually, with games like Wii Play, Wii Sports, Brain Academy, ect, I think they are the most mature systems.

A bit more than a year ago I thought Nintendo was dead, so I'm quite glad of the way things are going and I'm looking forward more releases.:thumbup:

mcdougall57
June 7th, 2007, 17:01
nice to see nintendo in the game.just 3 more million units to catch up with the 360 and its had a year extra

Demolition49
June 8th, 2007, 02:21
microsoft much be feeling pretty crap right now.