PDA

View Full Version : Sdload

Cap'n 1time
June 6th, 2005, 22:26
not sure if this was already covered, as it seems to be 6 month old news, and I wasnt exactly here that much during thoes months but..

I recall a much hyped (on dcemu at least) memory card that had some kind of loader that would allow you to run homebrew code from a memory card... today I thought about this, so I googled it and found this... gcdev.com link. (yah, if this hasnt been covered yet, some one should be shot). anyways... read...

FROM GCDEV.COM:

On New Year's Day, January 1st, 2005, I bring to you the first release of my latest GameCube project!

NO more tolerating PSO for homebrew development!
NO need to modify your GameCube for fast GC code testing cycles!

I bring to you SDLOAD! SDLOAD is an SD (Secure Digital) card / Action Replay bootloader. With just an Action Replay (ANY revision works fine) and an SD card adapter for your GameCube, you can be booting code from the SD card or even your PC network within seconds! I estimate it takes around 10 to 15 seconds from the time you turn on your GC to the time you can have homebrew code running on it.

Once you have installed the loader, all you do is turn on your GameCube, press A to "Start Game", open and close the DVD disk cover, and you are instantly greeted with my SDLOAD DOL selection menu. I have even added a network boot feature so you can use SDLOAD in conjunction with PSOload to instantly boot code from your PC to the GC through the network. As well as this, I have included a nice reload feature so that any GC program can exit back to the SDLOAD menu screen by branching to a location in RAM.

Download SDLOAD Release V1.00 HERE!!!!

I hope this will revolutionize GameCube development. This method works on all GameCube consoles, so you can take your SD cards along to friends' houses as well and show your homebrew programs to them. Once you have the files on the SD card, no PC is needed.

Also, there is NO need for a method to run code on the GC in order to install this loader. ALL you need is an Action Replay, SD card adapter for the GameCube, PC SD card reader, and an SD card.

The only down-side is that many people do not own SD card adapters for the GameCube yet, but they can be bought for only $30 at Lik-Sang. I include instructions in the readme file for making your own adapter if you want to do so, or feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] (remove the NOSPAM before e-mailing) if you would like me to make and sell you an adapter for cheap. Read the readme.txt and install.txt files for crystal clear details about this project and for information on how to install and use it.

also, here is a pic.

http://www.gcdev.com/screenshots/sdload.jpg

Cap'n 1time
June 6th, 2005, 22:31
welp, im gonna double post, this has been covered already... but just because its so damn cool, il leave it up to the mods to delete if they feel like it.