PDA

View Full Version : Here's a topic that wont get this tread closed

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 04:27
A few days ago here at dcemu there was a posting about buying M rated games for those under 17 and how you can be given 1-4 years and a fine. I think that's taking it too far. what do you all think?

ICE
June 5th, 2007, 04:30
thats retarded. im sorry.. thats mentally challenged.
whats the punishment for sneaking into a rated R movie if your under aged?

pibs
June 5th, 2007, 04:31
I doubt every store follows that law, some store owners will be more than happy to take your money. but my brother has encountered this problem where he couldn't purchase devil may cry 2..... what a shame!

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 04:32
Yeah my question is if a parent buys Manhunt(first M rated game that came to mine) for their 16 year old son or daugther wll they be taken to jail???

parkermauney
June 5th, 2007, 04:33
Quiet insane. Almost as insane as this (http://digg.com/tech_news/Man_Uploads_Episodes_of_24p_Faces_3_Years_Jail).

weirdelf
June 5th, 2007, 04:34
Well, 24 is pretty crap, but maybe 3 years is too much...

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 04:39
yeah 3 years for unloading is garbage. I could see 3 years for making illegal copies of games but not for unload a few shows of 24....

steve520
June 5th, 2007, 04:43
wow im screwed i have all the devil may crys and god of war. that is a dumb fine

weirdelf
June 5th, 2007, 05:02
That's 16 years.

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 05:09
well if thats the case i have a number of.....Roms of my psp total about 140 so at 3 years a piece that's 420 years....im done for and that doesnt even conut the ones on y flash drive. even if i got a month for every game i'd be away for life. The line has to be drawn some where......

weirdelf
June 5th, 2007, 05:12
In London in most shops they don't really give a crap how old you are.

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 05:28
Yeah its the same way here in Flint(where is that place?!?!). they dont care but at the local gamestops they ask for id about 70-84% of the time.

SnesR0X
June 5th, 2007, 06:08
I have bought, DMC1, DMC2, DMC3, Halo 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica: X, Resident Evil Outbreak: File 2, Resident Evil 4, REmake (of res 1) Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil Dead Aim, Killer 7, GTA: Liberty City Stories, and probably some other stuff, before I was 17

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 06:39
nice!

SnesR0X
June 5th, 2007, 06:53
yes, tis nice. Only I forgot about all my 360 games XD
Dead Rising, Gears, Oblivion, Crackdown, and yeah those are my mature games :D
Only one time I remember I was rejected, I was at an EB at Park Royal and wanted to buy condemmed for pc, the guy asked me if I was 17, and I went phht, no

mastersho
June 5th, 2007, 19:05
what did say after that???

dejkirkby
June 5th, 2007, 19:27
In the North-West of England, if there are loads of people in the store, they'll ask for ID, but if it's empty-ish they'll not bother.

SnesR0X
June 5th, 2007, 22:46
what did say after that???

what did he say you mean?
"I cannot sell this game to you then."
I was honest because I know he was going to ask for ID

Vampbri-n
June 6th, 2007, 00:56
In purto rico they really don't give a dam on what you buy as long as you pay for it.

acn010
June 6th, 2007, 01:06
Quiet insane. Almost as insane as this (http://digg.com/tech_news/Man_Uploads_Episodes_of_24p_Faces_3_Years_Jail).

omg, that is so retarded... mayube cause it contains military stuff??? may help terrorist with ideas from that show???

weirdelf
June 6th, 2007, 01:09
I think they arrested him for unleashing this crappy show on the entire world.

acn010
June 6th, 2007, 01:20
maybe ha ha ha... its based on military stuff, thats why

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 02:30
A few days ago here at dcemu there was a posting about buying M rated games for those under 17 and how you can be given 1-4 years and a fine. I think that's taking it too far. what do you all think?

Here in the UK we have these on anything kid's aren't allowed.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/assets/features/BBFC-18.gif

When I was 15 I bought GTA for PSone (a few months later I bought the London add-on), when I was 16 I bought GTA2, then a day before my 18th birthday I got GTA3 (my mum bought it for me)...

...Age restrictions don't mean squat, they're just there as a recommended age guideline they shouldn't have to be followed. Plus when I was a kid I watched all kinds of movies, I watched stuff like The Exorcist and other cool horror movies like Stephen Kings IT from when I was 6! (my parents let me) :D

The King
June 6th, 2007, 02:38
baw no one really pays attention to that tipe of stuff.

if you were to count how many rated M games i have you would go nuts and on top of that i let my 10 year old brother play them with me and he even play's it by himself and wat they going to do to my parents nothing really

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 02:46
baw no one really pays attention to that tipe of stuff.

if you were to count how many rated M games i have you would go nuts and on top of that i let my 10 year old brother play them with me and he even play's it by himself and wat they going to do to my parents nothing really

By law all shopkeepers are to check people's age when selling M/R rated items, when I worked at Blockbuster Entertainment I was told to check people's age all the time...

...One time one kid didn't know his own date of birth and he started to stutter and get upset cause he kept changing the date and I threatened to call the police, then his ugly grandma came and had a go at me! (for doing my job) lol :D

The King
June 6th, 2007, 02:54
By law all shopkeepers are to check people's age when selling M/R rated items, when I worked at Blockbuster Entertainment I was told to check people's age all the time...

...One time one kid didn't know his own date of birth and he started to stutter and get upset cause he kept changing the date and I threatened to call the police, then his ugly grandma came and had a go at me! (for doing my job) lol :D
lol now that was unlucky

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 02:57
lol now that was unlucky

The kid was 14 and arrogant, after the incident of him getting his gran to have a go at me he never came back when I was working :rofl:

kcajblue
June 6th, 2007, 02:58

...One time one kid didn't know his own date of birth and he started to stutter and get upset cause he kept changing the date and I threatened to call the police, then his ugly grandma came and had a go at me! (for doing my job) lol :Dhow would someone forget their own birthday?

The King
June 6th, 2007, 02:58
rolf he feared you man

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 03:01
how would someone forget their own birthday?

He was trying to make himself older, but the year he gave me he would've been 19 and not wearing school uniform (unless he was sick in the head)

rolf he feared you man

People all over fear me, he angered me! lol

The King
June 6th, 2007, 03:43
you dont seem like a person to be feard at

gunntims0103
June 6th, 2007, 03:59

The topic is based on this post. Stay on topic, or don't post at all :mad:

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 04:44
you dont seem like a person to be feard at

I don't, but as Guntims said - Back on topic

I was doing my job, if a shop keeper sells someone who is underaged a dvd or a game that is intended for mature/adults tht shop keeper can get into a lot of trouble if reported. And it can work the other way if someone underage is persistently trying to get something they are under aged for, the reason I told that kid in the store I would call the police on him...

...Age restrictions are there for a reason, they're there for a forced guideline of how old the player/viewer has to be to watch/play. If a parent has bought a game/movie for their child and it has a M rating it is down to the parents to know what they have gotten the child and whether they should supervise the child or not, as it is their responsibility at the end of the day.

The topic is based on this post. Stay on topic, or don't post at all :mad:

I think I've gone back on topic? (well I don't think I went off topic) ??? :confused:

kcajblue
June 6th, 2007, 04:57
id rather have my child (if i had one) play violent video games rather than watch violent movies.

SnesR0X
June 6th, 2007, 05:00
why games over movies? I'll let them do both, not right away of course

kcajblue
June 6th, 2007, 05:07
i would let them watch violent movies. but when theyre a little older.
i chose games over movies because movies are way more graphic than games.
movies are supposed to be more realistic.
games are just animated 3d characters.

SnesR0X
June 6th, 2007, 05:18
but within the next couple of generations of game systems, you know they are going to be photo-realistic
therefore, the games could possibly get more violent, and possibly a higher age rated game maybe?

kcajblue
June 6th, 2007, 05:28
then maybe that when ill wait for them to get older.
not until 18 though.
thats asking for too much.

or wait for them to get an M rated game themself.
then ill tell them its okay for them to have it.

Vampbri-n
June 6th, 2007, 11:13
id rather have my child (if i had one) play violent video games rather than watch violent movies.

when you do you shouldn't get god of war, cuz i heard they were making a movie, and once a kid plays the gam hes going to just have to just watch the movie, trust me my little brother kept annoying me to get cars the movie from blockbuster:(

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 12:57
but within the next couple of generations of game systems, you know they are going to be photo-realistic
therefore, the games could possibly get more violent, and possibly a higher age rated game maybe?

Never, in the UK we've always had a set age thingy

There's...

U - Suitable For All
PG - Parental Guidance
12 - Suitable for the age of 12 and above
12a - Suitable for a 12 year old, but accompanied by an adult as may contain unsuitable scenes
15 - Suitable for the age of 15 and above
18 - Suitable for the age 18 and above (adults)

Maybe a 15a age restriction will emerge for movies and videogames alike, as some 18 rated movies/videogames I think the age is set too high and there isn't much to go on from some 18 rated titles and they may as well be rated 15

SnesR0X
June 6th, 2007, 20:20
well Jack Thompson would disagree I bet :p

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 22:23
well Jack Thompson would disagree I bet :p

So who is Jack Thompson then? And does he have anything do do with age restrictions on movies/videogames?

wolfpack
June 6th, 2007, 23:30
So who is Jack Thompson then? And does he have anything do do with age restrictions on movies/videogames?

no because hes just a lawyer that cant win a case and doesnt know shit!

mastersho
June 6th, 2007, 23:39
Jack thompson is one of the main people leading the charge on the anti-gaming laws.

SnesR0X
June 7th, 2007, 00:27

He is hated by gamers everywhere, and is the one who tried (but failed) to get Bully pulled off shelves before it was released. He made outrageous claims that it was a Columbine simulator, and that if kids got the game they would start massive killing sprees. He went on the detail things about the game that were completely false, since he had not seen the game at all he made up stuff to make it sound worse. He demanded that Rockstar show him a copy of the game before it's release so he could judge weather it was right for people to buy it. This of course goes against free speech but that did not seem to matter to Jack. He ended up taking it to court after ERSB gave it a teen rating, and lost terribly, and when the judge went over the game seeing fit for the teen rating, he apparently called the judge an idiot, and said there was gay sex in it, if you count two boys kissing as gay sex, which is all there was. He has gone against Rockstar for Manhunt, GTA games in general, and more recently he threatened to sue Kotaku because some of the member of the forum said that he should be "Beaten in the head of a baseball bat" or something along those lines. He made an agreement with Rockstar after they threatened to sue him, so that he can't sue them anymore. I would have sued the bastard to the ground, since he made clear public announcements about the game Bully that were in no way true at all, so that really is illegal.

So in other words, he is a complete and total douche-bag

VampDude
June 7th, 2007, 01:07
He is hated by gamers everywhere, and is the one who tried (but failed) to get Bully pulled off shelves before it was released. He made outrageous claims that it was a Columbine simulator, and that if kids got the game they would start massive killing sprees. He went on the detail things about the game that were completely false, since he had not seen the game at all he made up stuff to make it sound worse. He demanded that Rockstar show him a copy of the game before it's release so he could judge weather it was right for people to buy it. This of course goes against free speech but that did not seem to matter to Jack. He ended up taking it to court after ERSB gave it a teen rating, and lost terribly, and when the judge went over the game seeing fit for the teen rating, he apparently called the judge an idiot, and said there was gay sex in it, if you count two boys kissing as gay sex, which is all there was. He has gone against Rockstar for Manhunt, GTA games in general, and more recently he threatened to sue Kotaku because some of the member of the forum said that he should be "Beaten in the head of a baseball bat" or something along those lines. He made an agreement with Rockstar after they threatened to sue him, so that he can't sue them anymore. I would have sued the bastard to the ground, since he made clear public announcements about the game Bully that were in no way true at all, so that really is illegal.

So in other words, he is a complete and total douche-bag

I hate people like that, people don't go on killing spree's by playing violent games. They do so on their own free will, or if they were crazed!

SnesR0X
June 7th, 2007, 07:15
http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/629272/Jack_Thompson_vs_Adam_Sessler.html

I implore you to watch this, you will get pissed off and laugh at the same time at some of the things hes say/demands

PLZKLLME0080
June 7th, 2007, 14:23
buying M rated games FOR those under 17? they must mean if its not the parents buying it. i think everyone in the age group of 17-25 doesnt care, over 25 maybe, parents will definately like this, and everyone under 17 will be a little mad. :mad: