PDA

View Full Version : VC/DC 0.1a released

OneThirty8
June 5th, 2007, 17:28
This VideoCD/MPEG player for Dreamcast has just recieved a much-needed update.

THIS PLAYER PLAYS:
(S)VCD
MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 program streams (*.mpg, *.mpeg)
MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 elementary video streams (*.m1v, *.m2v)
MPEG elementary audio streams (*.mp1, *.mp2, *.mp3)
Dreamcast Sofdec movies (*.sfd, untested and won't play audio)
Playstation2 pss movies (*.pss, barely tested and won't play audio--this may change)

New in VC/DC 0.1a:
-No longer has horrible sound.
-Support for ID3 tags in MP3 files.
-Fast-Forward actually works.
-You're now able to replay a VCD without opening your Dreamcast's lid by pressing Start.

Get at it here: http://www.storm-studios.net/onethirty8/vcdc.html

Dull Blade
June 5th, 2007, 21:04
Its nice to see some more advancement in the dwindeling DC homebrew scene. Dont use VCD any more though, but I might give it a try.

miggi03
June 5th, 2007, 23:14
Very nice and thanks for your hard work.

Masta-G
June 6th, 2007, 10:27
Awesome work:)
I really like video players.
it would be nice if it came up to a point where I can play KVCD's (TUS releases)
They seem to stutter a bit..

OneThirty8
June 6th, 2007, 16:28
Thanks for the good feedback!

Awesome work:)
I really like video players.
it would be nice if it came up to a point where I can play KVCD's (TUS releases)
They seem to stutter a bit..
I assume that the KVCDs you're trying are using a resolution like 528x480 or 528x576? I think those are the "standard" KVCD resolutions for NTSC and PAL. Something that big will probably stutter some.

guyTHP
June 6th, 2007, 21:35
Nice one! I'll give this a go with my VCD's (... Ok, I only have one.. But it DOES star Bruce Cambell!) :D

siastbill1
June 7th, 2007, 21:10
So does this run SVCD's then (mpeg2 480x480)

OneThirty8
June 8th, 2007, 03:04
So does this run SVCD's then (mpeg2 480x480)
Yes, it should play them--people reported that they worked in the last version and I haven't removed the autodetect code for SVCD--but I can't promise that they'll play well just because that's a lot more pixels to decode and transfer to the PVR than VCD. I don't have any SVCDs to test with and I haven't really had the time to make one. If they don't play well, regular VCD is probably your best bet. I've been able to watch the Star Wars trilogy, and aside from the occasional audio hiccup those play back pretty well.

My goal with the project is to support as many features of VCD 2.0 as I can, so it will probably never have full support for SVCD anyway. But I am trying to figure ways to make the player faster. I know of at least one bottleneck but I haven't figured out a solution that I know how to implement well.