PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS selling higher than PSP?!

Lord_Rob
June 6th, 2005, 23:37
As i was reading the reports i found out that the the DS, a little bug compared to the PSP in capability is selling at a higher rate than the PSP in Japan! :eek: To me that was crazy...the DS doesnt have the power NEAR where the PSP does and has no advantage over it except for the Dual screen. This is a really ominous thing to me...lets hope it doesnt continue... :confused:

Cap'n 1time
June 6th, 2005, 23:44
well rob, power dosnt make a good gaming machine.. but as i cant even find any decent software for the DS, i must agree with you. but nintendo still kicks ass.

Lord_Rob
June 7th, 2005, 01:09
By power i meant that the ds cant play movies or music or photos

nexis2600
June 7th, 2005, 01:36
DS is selling because of nintendogs and new colors.

Christuserloeser
June 7th, 2005, 02:24
The way I see it:

Where the PSP is 'nothing but a portable PS', the DS is something new because of that "no advantage over [the PSP] except for the Dual screen" thing that you've recognized correctly.
The DS is also downward compatible to the GBA and thus runs a lot of cool 2D games, homebrew and even emus.

I'm not exactly sure why it's such a problem for you if the DS is selling better... Be happy and enjoy your games instead... Both handhelds should be worth their money, I guess.

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 05:16
The way I see it:

Where the PSP is 'nothing but a portable PS', the DS is something new because of that "no advantage over [the PSP] except for the Dual screen" thing that you've recognized correctly.
The DS is also downward compatible to the GBA and thus runs a lot of cool 2D games, homebrew and even emus.

I'm not exactly sure why it's such a problem for you if the DS is selling better... Be happy and enjoy your games instead... Both handhelds should be worth their money, I guess.

well, actually the upcoming DS games are nothing to cry about.. im glad i own both.

shade
June 7th, 2005, 09:05
By power i meant that the ds cant play movies or music or photos

Actually if you get the right device it can.

If the console wars was bassed on power then the X-Box would have sold 90 million not the PS2, people don't always want power.

DS is selling because people like, I love it and I can't wait for some of the upcoming games. DS is not for everyone neither is PSP, the sooner PSP fanboys get that into their head the better.

tidusuk123
June 7th, 2005, 09:48
I sold my PSP because for me it was useless right now - the only real feature that was appealing to me was the MP3 player (a bit big to carry just for an MP3 player). I didn't really like playing my PSP on the bus or train because there would be a hundred eyes preying on me!!! And when i'm at home, i'd rather play Pro Evo Soccer on the PS2 or games on my XBOX, or my GC - and eventually the PSP became obsolete. So I bought the Nintendo DS and I love it - it's just unique with the touchscreen (the mini games in Mario 64 are so much fun), and it is different to my consoles - the N64 is upstairs is buried in the attic!

I think the PSP has had a better start in terms of games, but the touchscreen is more appealing for the audiences and the low price tag makes the decision even easier for many people.

I'm just waiting for decent games to arrive on both handhelds because I was bored of my PSP after about 3 weeks, and now I haven't TOUCHED my DS in like 3 days - but I only have 2 games...

ptr.exe
June 7th, 2005, 10:55
Why are you so shocked? many gamers have realised that the PSP is basically a portable PS2 (PS2 games being ported to PSP) which many see a waste of money since they already have the home console. Whereas the Nintendo DS is an original piece of hardware.

The DS can play movies/music/photos via its backwards compatibilty with GBA and using the Movie Player Advance which only costs £13 and uses CF cards.
Nintendo have also released the PlayYan, an official movie/music player, although Japan only at the moment.

I agree that in the US and Europe there are no new DS games, but in Japan there are plenty and thats why its selling well, when the games start coming out over here the success in Japan will be repeated here.

Spark
June 7th, 2005, 12:19
No offence to anyone, and I'm not usually the fan boy type, but anybody with any intelligence can see that the DS is a bit crap, I mean just look at the Episode III game on there, it doesn't look altogether different from the GBA version, and when a console's best attribute is what many consider to be an inferior and less enjoyable port of a 90's launch title, you know something can't be right.

The Japanese usually don't tend to agree with us Westerners though, and like the whole originality thing, which I will admit the DS does, to an extent, have going for it, and that's why they were all about a lot of DC titles which never really made it big outside of Asia (ie Samba De Amigo and Bass Fishing).

I'm sure that the DS will continue to outsell the PSP over there for the forseeable future, but in my opinion it's still by far an inferior piece of kit in comparison, and I certainly wouldn't buy one at the going rate.

Christuserloeser
June 7th, 2005, 13:15
Hm, that's a very interesting point of view you have there. Never thought of that. Really. Now you've made me change my mind completly. How could I be such a blind person?! Thanks for bringin' light back into my world that's been full of darkness before. Thank you. Thank you for insulting every DS user with your incredibly logical conclusion that because of some average game beeing basicly the same as its GBA counterpart, the whole system has to be "a bit crap" and "anybody with any intelligence can see that".
Let me ask you where the video gamin' world would be without the "whole originality thing"? =P

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 13:56
hey hey, lets not get all defensive over our favorite handhelds now! both are just kicking off in my opinion.

ptr.exe
June 7th, 2005, 15:59
I agree that technically the DS is an inferior machine, graphically PSP is far better than DS, PSP has far more built in features that DS, the main problem is that the PSP may as well be called PS2P, in many peoples eyes its £150 for something they have already at home on a big screen - I know thats not true but with ports like THUG2 and GT4 many people won't see the point.
Because of this the DS is better - its original, not just a portable version of something consumers have already.

As for Episode III that game is basically a straight port of the GBA version hence the crap graphics, laziness on the developers part. Again i agree that Mario 64 is just a re-hash of a game that most played already, DS deserved something better at launch. Nintendo have made a great bit of fun hardware and now only need to make more games.

In conclusion PSP is crap :p

Darksaviour69
June 7th, 2005, 16:51
well i have never bought a handle before, and the psp just does not interest me (except for the HB) but i am interested in the DS... not enought to buy one yet, but i'm interested, the touch screen and dual screen is different, and thats what i want these days something different, i'm sick of playing clones!

nintendo plan is to sell the DS to people that would have not bought a GB/GBA or PSP etc, they are selling to non gamers.... and its seems that its working!

aseddon130
June 7th, 2005, 19:35
with some people saying a PSP is just a Portable PS2 ... well, EXACTLY ... that for me is an awesome thing. And you say the DS is original? er.. no! its just a handheld N64 with a touch screen - ok the touch screen is cool but the games and the console itself are unoriginal and boring (same can be said for the PSP - since that also has some ports of its own, but at least they are ports of good games)

the main reason that the DS isnt better than the PSP is that when Homebrew gets going properly then it will be a much better handheld console to do it on, i dont even think theres one emulator for the DS yet (think some1 mentioned to me a GBC one) and thats been out much longer than the PSP.

when the PSP gets GBA emu compatibility, and Sony re-evaluate the price of it - the DS is doomed !

PS: I aint being biased or a 'fanboy' because i got both, and it is my personal opinion!

tidusuk123
June 7th, 2005, 20:04
I don't think the PSP is crap, in fact its great. I think the main reason for DS selling better is because of it's appeal to audiences. It's attractive when you hear that a handheld has two screens, and a touchscreen. It also has a strong line-up of games backing the system and it's NINTENDO! Everyone loves Nintendo (ok not everyone but almost) with the NES, and SNES - so we trust them.

shade
June 7th, 2005, 20:55
Everyone has there own opinions.
Me? I want to playe something different, I get so board with sequals like ridge Racer and Wipeout, I don't really want to play PS2 games on the go.

I want a console that can provide me with some innotive gaming, the DS has done that using the touch screen as a different control method has gone down well with me, it's gone down so well that I'm playing my DS more then my GC & PS2, Pac-Pic and Wario Ware are so much fun! and I can't wait for Kirby, meteos and Another Code. Gameplay and Innovation over graphics for me.

To the people who are slagging off the DS I have a question, Have you actually played some of the innotive games on the DS for a good amount of time? because if not then you really don't have a right to slag it off, how can you make an opinion of something you have not tryed. Same goes with people who are slagging off the PSP.

tidusuk123
June 7th, 2005, 21:17
I had both! Sold the PSP - but I have to be fair, I only owned Ridge Racers on the PSP so don't have the best experience. Ridge Racers was far too regular - race opponents, win races, unlock new cars blah blah blah.

Then I played Mario 64 - The adventure is great, but even better are the mini games! I love all those touchscreen mini games and breaking those records.

I think that the DS has more potential to become something increadibly fun, addictive, and different - and at the same time a regular games console BUT I think overtime those PlayStation classics such as Pro Evo, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy may make the PSP stronger - even in Japan. It's all up to Nintendo and developers to get the games right. Only a matter of time people!!

Fly On
June 7th, 2005, 21:26
I don't see how having 2 screens is so innovative. I have not seen the dual screen used effectivly in any game at all. All it does is prevent a crowded screen, and if Nintendo was so worried about that, then they could have made just one big screen to play on. To me, the only real innovation is the use of the stylus (Just look at Nintendogs and Metroid Prime:First Hunt), and that had me content for a time, but after a while I wanted something else.
I have owned a DS since it launched in the U.S.(and played and completed several games), and I don't think it can match the PSP in terms of actual gameplay.

All in all, I guess it's all a matter of preference-and I prefer the PSP :D

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 21:32
well, generally I think it's "he who controlls square rules the earth", and i dont agree with that, but alot of people do.. anyways, this is one of the first times square-enix will have strong support for two consoles of oposing companies, and because of the vast differance in hardware between the competition, we will see differant styles of games between each one.. so while exclusive games might come on one system, differant exclusives will come on another.

and i forgot what my argument was.. im very tired.. mabey someone can get at what i was trying to point out.

tidusuk123
June 7th, 2005, 21:41
well, generally I think it's "he who controlls square rules the earth", and i dont agree with that, but alot of people do.. anyways, this is one of the first times square-enix will have strong support for two consoles of oposing companies, and because of the vast differance in hardware between the competition, we will see differant styles of games between each one.. so while exclusive games might come on one system, differant exclusives will come on another.

and i forgot what my argument was.. im very tired.. mabey someone can get at what i was trying to point out.

Firstly Lol!! Secondly, I think you were trying to say that Final Fantasy will be on both consoles when I said that "games like Final Fantasy may make the PSP stronger" and not only on the PSP...

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2005, 21:42
Firstly Lol!! Secondly, I think you were trying to say that Final Fantasy will be on both consoles when I said that "games like Final Fantasy may make the PSP stronger" and not only on the PSP...

yah... somthing like that. man, that was stupid. XD

shade
June 7th, 2005, 22:16
I don't see how having 2 screens is so innovative. I have not seen the dual screen used effectivly in any game at all. All it does is prevent a crowded screen, and if Nintendo was so worried about that, then they could have made just one big screen to play on. To me, the only real innovation is the use of the stylus (Just look at Nintendogs and Metroid Prime:First Hunt), and that had me content for a time, but after a while I wanted something else.
I have owned a DS since it launched in the U.S.(and played and completed several games), and I don't think it can match the PSP in terms of actual gameplay.

All in all, I guess it's all a matter of preference-and I prefer the PSP :D
I suppose your right about the dual screen format, it hasn't been used that well but games like Sonic Rush and Another Code will change that. The touch screen has, Pac Pix is a good example of that, drawing pac man arrows and bombs and seeing them come to life is very cool and proves that the DS can give anb innotoive spin to a tryed and testsed concept, also games worth a mention with the use of the touch screen are Nintendogs and Wario ware Touched.

tidusuk123
June 7th, 2005, 22:29
SPRUNG used the dual screens brilliantly, also it was very useful in Mario 64 - again the minigames used it excellently too. Has anyone played the one where you use the slingshot?

shade
June 7th, 2005, 23:31
the one withe the bombs? yeah that was cool. mario 64 DS was a Rehas but I got to appluad Nintendo for the amount of extras they put in the game

Vimes220
June 7th, 2005, 23:48
my 2 cents.

I think the DS is an exiting piece of equipment, dual screen, bult in mic, touch screnn the possibilities ar fantastic. but what have they done with it...... come on, be honest!!
now they have released a couple of games that use the features and games sales are up, thats only to be expected.
but they released nintendogs, for gods sake, its a bloody tamagotchi!!!!!
until Nintendo release some decent software on the DS i'll stick with my PSP.

and on a side note, i don't think i could go down graphicly after useing the PSP. Everyone who see's it has to pick their jaw off the ground.

Lord_Rob
June 7th, 2005, 23:57
Ok the DS definitly has some enthralling things about it... touch screen....mic....dual screens. That definitly pust some edge into the games and that itself makes the games more original. Which means that every game will be different in a way. That is deffinatley attractive...at first. But in a few months people are going to stop and think about the psp. And the truth is if you evaluate the two on a piece of paper... like a chart. One side psp other side Ds and you list all the good qualities and you think...the psp will have more better things in it. Movies...WiFi...Text...Music....Photos...Homebrew. Yeah the DS will eventually get homebrew, but c'mon how much fun with emulators will you have with 2 buttons? The truth is once people realize it the PSP will stand out more

Vimes220
June 8th, 2005, 00:03
If people want a DS they will get one, good on them if thats what they want.

If people want a PSP they will get that.

people were all slagging off the PSP for defects before it was available in most places yet i'd be more concerned about people scratching the DS touch screen.

shade
June 8th, 2005, 00:34
Ok the DS definitly has some enthralling things about it... touch screen....mic....dual screens. That definitly pust some edge into the games and that itself makes the games more original. Which means that every game will be different in a way. That is deffinatley attractive...at first. But in a few months people are going to stop and think about the psp. And the truth is if you evaluate the two on a piece of paper... like a chart. One side psp other side Ds and you list all the good qualities and you think...the psp will have more better things in it. Movies...WiFi...Text...Music....Photos...Homebrew. Yeah the DS will eventually get homebrew, but c'mon how much fun with emulators will you have with 2 buttons? The truth is once people realize it the PSP will stand out more

ROFL, you know nothing, have you actually seen a DS? It has four face buttons and two shoulder buttons, also DS has Wi fi as well.
Ds qualities Innotive games, cheaper games, Nintendo Online!, backwards compatibility. Both consoles have there own unigue qualities.

people are going to stop and think about the psp- What the hell is that about, do you think that suddenly everyone is going to get a PSP? No its not going to happen as said in this thread everyone is different and have their own gaming preferences. Some people like DS some people like PSP.

Lord_Rob
June 8th, 2005, 00:55
I mean a and b buddy, lol :p

Lord_Rob
June 8th, 2005, 00:58
I mean when people decide which one they want they will stop and think...and when they do they should relize that the psp is better...but you were right about the wifi :). But thats just my opinion people can get whatever they want.

Christuserloeser
June 8th, 2005, 01:56
I suppose we've been watched and have become a cartoon:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=142

Cap'n 1time
June 8th, 2005, 02:22
I suppose we've been watched and have become a cartoon:

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=142

heh heh... save that link for the future.

quzar
June 8th, 2005, 09:54
I've never seen such an utterly opinion based and factually lacking argument ever. This has been flame bait and a flame-fest since the first point.

They are two different things in the same category. It's like comparing apples and oranges. You can't simply say one is better than the other. For me(for example) I have an mp3 player, and an ultra-portable class laptop that can be used for DVD play so a psp only has games going for it, and so I only have the need to judge it by the games and physical design. On the other hand, I already have a GBA, and a capable cellphone for emulation and pda functionality, so the DS loses points there.

It is 100% up to the needs of the person. Not everybody wants or needs a handheld to also play music and movies (especially when, for official movies, it is on a format that is otherwise useless except on it) and not everyone wants a game handheld machine to just play games (apparently?).

The fact that the DS is outselling the PSP is an indication of what most people want. With the proliferation of portable media devices prior to the release of the PSP, it shouldn't be all that surprising that people aren't going to be attracted to these aspects of it, and since the GBA had become the major handheld game system for the past 3+ years, it shouldn't be surprising that backwards compatability would be enticing.

Stay away from flaming or SOMEONE might be tempted to close this topic.

ptr.exe
June 8th, 2005, 10:47
Quzar, ive seen no flaming, there's been alot of inaccuracies *cough*LordRobisatwat*cough* but so far its been a discussion. Theres no reason for closing this topic.

Lord Rob, the features you said the DS doesnt have, it does - WiFi, Homebrew, and via PlayYan movies and music, but that really doesnt matter i'd rather decide based purely on its ability to play games. The abilites of each handheld summarise each companies view; Sony - powerful machine, nice look yet lacking in any originality/innovation. Nintendo - Creating something practical and yet with a range of interesting features that can give developers room to create innovative and new styles of gameplay. So again it really comes down to graphics vs. gameplay, and everyone knows that if the industries big companies continue to focus on 'realism' in games and don't bother trying new ideas then the market will stagnate into a sea of Fifa Street clones, and crap FPS.

shade
June 8th, 2005, 10:56
Lord Rob, the DS also has X,Y L and R. Go look at a picture of the console.

I got the advance movie player which is fine for me as I don't need an MP3 player for hardcore use, I like inovation as I'm starting to get really board of games recently as they are all getting samey.
People will get whatever they want. When Pokemon gets released in Japan for DS with online play, the DS will probably then outsell PSP for a long time.

ptr.exe
June 8th, 2005, 13:43
When Pokemon gets released in Japan for DS with online play, the DS will probably then outsell PSP for a long time.

And Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS both have online modes and will shift alot of DS consoles. I think DS will always outsell PSP in Japan, but as for the rest of the world im not sure.

shade
June 8th, 2005, 13:47
Nintendo will probably cut the price in the states before the end of the year which will boost sales as for the UK, I'm not sure.

ptr.exe
June 8th, 2005, 13:55
Read something on GameCentral today, about some rumours about Nintendo's plans for the European release of PSP, these are only rumours though:

1) Nintendo cut the price of DS.
2) Nintendo release new colours of DS and start marketing campaign again.
3) Nintendo release GameBoy Advance Micro on the same day as PSP.

This is probably nonsense but even if its true i don't think it'll make much differance.

shade
June 8th, 2005, 14:20
Price cut would be good but they need games, perhaps Nintendogs and Mario Kart, possibly pack Play Yan with the DS or something like that.
If Nintendo don't do something then they will suffer in the long run.

tidusuk123
June 8th, 2005, 14:47
Prices for DS in the UK have already gone down - last I checked in GAME, they were selling a DS with 2 games for £109.99

englishrick
June 8th, 2005, 14:52
I can't see what all the fuss is about this dual screen idea,its old hat.. When I was a wee boy I had a DONKEY KONG handheld and that had dual screen(and we're talkin back in the 70's)...Just my 2 bits worth

tidusuk123
June 8th, 2005, 14:55
I can't see what all the fuss is about this dual screen idea,its old hat.. When I was a wee boy I had a DONKEY KONG handheld and that had dual screen(and we're talkin back in the 70's)...Just my 2 bits worth

when im 40 years old as well, i may think the dual screen is boring or nothing innotative, but at the moment i like it.

quzar
June 8th, 2005, 16:53

I own a widescreen game and watch too, does that make the psp useless?

shade
June 8th, 2005, 17:33
Thats's the game and watch, remember that the DS features a touch screen as well.

Fly On
June 8th, 2005, 19:04
Yeah, the only thing I really like about the DS is the touch screen (Picto Chat! Take that PSP :P). Other than that, its bulky in design, the screens themselves are relativly small, and blah blah blah.
The one thing the DS has is definetly games. Nintendo has so many extremely popular franchises to draw from. Take price into account, and you have a big lead in sales on Sony's PSP.
This reminds me of the Game Boy/Game Gear competition a decade ago. Obviously the Game Gear appeared more flashy, but Nintendo won out in the end.

I'm still a PSP fan!

Lord_Rob
June 8th, 2005, 20:04
Quzar, ive seen no flaming, there's been alot of inaccuracies *cough*LordRobisatwat*cough* but so far its been a discussion. Theres no reason for closing this topic.

Lord Rob, the features you said the DS doesnt have, it does - WiFi, Homebrew, and via PlayYan movies and music, but that really doesnt matter i'd rather decide based purely on its ability to play games. The abilites of each handheld summarise each companies view; Sony - powerful machine, nice look yet lacking in any originality/innovation. Nintendo - Creating something practical and yet with a range of interesting features that can give developers room to create innovative and new styles of gameplay. So again it really comes down to graphics vs. gameplay, and everyone knows that if the industries big companies continue to focus on 'realism' in games and don't bother trying new ideas then the market will stagnate into a sea of Fifa Street clones, and crap FPS.
Wow i did have a few(heh) inaccuracies...thanks for pointing that out...:) But the thing tht really matters is what people want, the PSP could be 100 times better and some people might still want the DS. Some people just love sticking with Nintendo and not Sony... its all up to them

ptr.exe
June 8th, 2005, 20:35
Lord Rob, thats okay i was only joking :D To be fair i know very little about PSP :p

Lord_Rob
June 8th, 2005, 23:09
:( :.............................................

Heh just kidding...

quzar
June 9th, 2005, 02:03
Wow i did have a few(heh) inaccuracies...thanks for pointing that out...:) But the thing tht really matters is what people want, the PSP could be 100 times better and some people might still want the DS. Some people just love sticking with Nintendo and not Sony... its all up to them

you know, not everyone is so political as you seem to be with videogames. oftentimes average people don't buy a system because of the company making it, but what it offers.

Lord_Rob
June 9th, 2005, 02:42
True but for the people who do.....thats the case.

leggy
June 9th, 2005, 08:00
I bought the PSP cos hardly anyone else had one, it looked fantastic and it does so many things!

No regrets at all (apart from the damn power brick that has packed in after a few uses)

shade
June 9th, 2005, 08:29
Agreed, the DS offered me potential innovation, that is why I brought it, if it was just a portable N64 then I probably would not have brought it.

ptr.exe
June 9th, 2005, 12:08
so were all agreed - its what your looking for in a handheld that determines what console is better.

Well im happy i have my DS to play, and can't wait for the upcoming online games :)

Cap'n 1time
June 9th, 2005, 14:52
im still undecided as to my favorite... actually. my favorite is neogeo pocket. there ya go. NEOGEO POCKET IS THE GREATEST HANDHELD ON EARTH!