PDA

View Full Version : UK cell phone owners spend more on games than ringtones

Shrygue
June 5th, 2007, 19:38
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/05/uk-cell-phone-owners-spend-more-on-games-than-ringtones/)

A recent market study revealed that consumers in the U.K. are spending more money on downloading games than ringtones, music, or videos. Research firm GfK M² estimates the mobile gaming market is worth nearly four times the current value of music downloads and eight times the video download market.

Surprisingly, much of this growth has taken place over the last year, says GfK. In 2006 there was "less activity in the mobile gaming market as well as poor phone functionality, limited game offerings and perceived high prices". Even though most game downloads in the U.K. go for £5 or more, gamers seem happy to pony up the cash. It's only a matter of time until free ringtone sites convert their annoying banner ads and "give away" cheesy game knock-offs.

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2007, 00:07
well they are cheap and good

VampDude
June 6th, 2007, 18:50
I get my Games and Ringtones FREE (via bluetooth exchanging), well Ringtones not exactly FREE cause I own the CD's that I convert into ringtones...

...I don't see how they make so much money when people have bluetooth and infared for exchanging data/ringtones/games

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2007, 23:28
when people have bluetooth and infared for exchanging data/ringtones/games

Isn't that illegal?

VampDude
June 16th, 2007, 06:15
Isn't that illegal?

Not that I'm aware of?

Bluetooth exchanging is very popular in the UK, one time I was on the train and I received a whole load've items from an unknown sender. I always have a picture of something weird and funny on my phone (like a random picture of my poo), which I feel it's nice to share! (cause I'm strange) :D

Triv1um
June 16th, 2007, 10:23
Well i just play freeware PocketPC games.

And i have MP3 ringtones off my CD's.

gdf
June 16th, 2007, 15:18
i rarely go near my mobile yay!

i turn it on once a week.

VampDude
June 17th, 2007, 02:58
i rarely go near my mobile yay!

i turn it on once a week.

lmao, I bet you only topup once every year or two! lol

I topup something like £30-£40 a month, which I only spend when my girlfriend makes me call her cause she can't be bothered to get her own credit to call me :p