PDA

View Full Version : The Best Linux System

splodger15
June 5th, 2007, 21:19
I have knocked my brains for a bit on whether I should get Linux what would you say was the best system to get.

Triv1um
June 5th, 2007, 21:22
System?

You mean distro right?

Ubuntu is the best distro out there at the moment.

splodger15
June 5th, 2007, 21:35
yeh distro sorry.

S34MU5
June 5th, 2007, 22:09
Is distro short for distribution?

In my opinion Windows XP is a stable enough OS for me.

Junixx
June 5th, 2007, 22:10
I would recommend Ubuntu but I've seen other people try PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) and they said alot ff things work right out of the box (figuratively speaking)

Triv1um
June 5th, 2007, 22:34
Is distro short for distribution?

Yes it does.

Ubuntu now has the biggest community and comatablilty of all other distros.

you are seriously best going for Ubuntu. nothing compairs at the moment.

quzar
June 6th, 2007, 02:28
Red Hat, Mandrake, SUSE, and many more commercial-grade distros are all great.

kcajblue
June 6th, 2007, 02:41
i heard someone say those are the most hated ones.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
June 6th, 2007, 03:52
the commercial ones suck. get ubuntu. if kubuntu wasent so buggy, i would get that

ExcruciationX
June 6th, 2007, 05:01
I pick just one that works correctly on my system (in my case Fedora Core 6 on my iBook and Kubuntu on my iMac G3)

Just pick one that works for you and stay with it.

Quzar, Red Hat has been discontinued (they're now doing Fedora), and Mandrake is now Mandriva (Mandrake and Connectiva merged).

splodger15
June 6th, 2007, 08:46
Hmm I might check out Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help people.

souLLy
June 6th, 2007, 09:09
You can run a Ubuntu disc as a 'live disc' which means it will run from the CD, so you can try it before you install it all to the hard drive. It will run slower but it's a good was to see if it's for you.

the_eternal_dark
June 6th, 2007, 09:55
Also, splodger15, if you have Nvidia or ATI graphics, pick up Envy here http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html (get the stable release). If you need more stuff, I can get it to you or point you in the right direction. I just switched everything here to Ubuntu 7.04, laptops and all, and I'm very happy, especially with Wine (CounterStrike Source on Linux, hells yeah).

quzar
June 6th, 2007, 10:04
I pick just one that works correctly on my system (in my case Fedora Core 6 on my iBook and Kubuntu on my iMac G3)

Just pick one that works for you and stay with it.

Quzar, Red Hat has been discontinued (they're now doing Fedora), and Mandrake is now Mandriva (Mandrake and Connectiva merged).

Yea yea, details details =P, it's all mostly just name changes. And to the "commercial distros suck" you've obviously never used any. There is a reason they are able to sell boxed versions of something that can already be had for free. Ubuntu is mostly a fad. I've seen it as being most popular amongst youngsters who have never used any form of linux but hear that it's 133t and takes a bite out of the MAN M$.

Not to say it isn't a great distro, but it's hardly the be all end all of linux.

the_eternal_dark
June 6th, 2007, 10:08
Yea yea, details details =P, it's all mostly just name changes. And to the "commercial distros suck" you've obviously never used any. There is a reason they are able to sell boxed versions of something that can already be had for free. Ubuntu is mostly a fad. I've seen it as being most popular amongst youngsters who have never used any form of linux but hear that it's 133t and takes a bite out of the MAN M$.

Not to say it isn't a great distro, but it's hardly the be all end all of linux.

So true, I remember when everyone was all into FC5 and SUSE a while back.

I'm using Ubuntu at the moment mostly for the ease of set up on my computers. The drawback, NO ROOT! Sudo commands are getting old.

Also, why isn't anyone using BSD anymore?

XioN980
June 6th, 2007, 10:14
my advice, dual-booting is terrible if linux is the second os your installing, i just really dont like grub, if you change your mind you've got a hard time ahead fixing it /fix mbr is highly unstable (except in vista)

Depends what you use i spose, i dont really like linux much, ok ill be honest it annoy's the living **** out of me

What exactly do you need it for?

the_eternal_dark
June 6th, 2007, 10:18
my advice, dual-booting is terrible if linux is the second os your installing, i just really dont like grub, if you change your mind you've got a hard time ahead fixing it /fix mbr is highly unstable (except in vista)

Depends what you use i spose, i dont really like linux much, ok ill be honest it annoy's the living **** out of me

What exactly do you need it for?

I use it for school, programming, games, etc.

Cap'n 1time
June 7th, 2007, 03:34
Yea yea, details details =P, it's all mostly just name changes. And to the "commercial distros suck" you've obviously never used any.

Hehe, that was me. I've used them, and I'll explain to you why in my opinion they suck.

Redhat - cool package management... 5 years ago. RPM's are now a waste of time thanks to debians apt-get package management. Terrible community of know nothings who flame for the hell of it. Sorry, charging money for mediocre updates is not cool... especially for a linux distro. FAIL!

Mandrake (or whatever the hell they call it) - Most overused garbage of all time (at one point). Pretty much Redhat with different management. People used it because it looked pretty.. Lame excuse if you ask me. FAIL!

Suse - This was originally just a "super distro" with RPM support. It came with everything you ever didn't need. Now its owned by novell (which is garbage in its own right). The only thing cool they have ever accomplished was Mono... oh wait.. they hired different people to do that. FAIL!

I personally think ubuntu has really boosted interest in linux more so than any previous distribution in the past (only because people were too stupid to understand slackware, and debian didnt come off as pretty). Ubuntu is my preferred distro.

Junixx
June 7th, 2007, 06:31
Yes it does.

Ubuntu now has the biggest community and comatablilty of all other distros.

you are seriously best going for Ubuntu. nothing compairs at the moment.

Man I was really surprised at how big the ubuntu community was, and how helpful they are too. Actually, most problems that I had had already been answered..just had to search the forums. I like my gfxgrub too :thumbup: ......and beryl...and screenlets...and...other random crap

Also, splodger15, if you have Nvidia or ATI graphics, pick up Envy here http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html (get the stable release). If you need more stuff, I can get it to you or point you in the right direction. I just switched everything here to Ubuntu 7.04, laptops and all, and I'm very happy, especially with Wine (CounterStrike Source on Linux, hells yeah).

I don't think I ever really had the best experiences with that when I had my ATI card.... I ended up removing everything and then compiling them from source, but my Nvidia driver installed through Envy perfectly... just a heads up ;)

the_eternal_dark
June 7th, 2007, 11:06
I don't think I ever really had the best experiences with that when I had my ATI card.... I ended up removing everything and then compiling them from source, but my Nvidia driver installed through Envy perfectly... just a heads up ;)

It worked for an old ATI Rage I had, so it may just depend on the card. Not many people are using ATI anymore anyway and that may be the reason you had some problems with the install. I'm willing to bet it is an older driver.