PDA

View Full Version : Region Changer v0.3 Released

Mark30001
June 6th, 2007, 04:20
A new version of Region Changer, an application used to patch the Dreamcast's flash binary into a region of your choice, has been released!

Current version: 0.3

What's new:
- fixed a bug where broadcast & language read/write was swapped (PsyMan)
- added writes to shadowed region, broadcast and language locations (PsyMan)

http://dchelp.dcemulation.com/?Region_Changer

Dull Blade
June 6th, 2007, 20:44
I take it you need a coders cable or a BBA to do this, right? Do you think it would be possible to make region free bios or use region free bios if they already exist? That would be great if it was possible, no more game shark to boot all my pal games.

JKKDARK
June 6th, 2007, 23:26
no more game shark to boot all my pal games

well you can also use a modchip ;)

fackue
June 7th, 2007, 00:17
I take it you need a coders cable or a BBA to do this, right?
No -- it patches the flash binary. In other words the flash you use with emulators -- not the actual flash on the hardware like SWAT's region changer.

Do you think it would be possible to make region free bios or use region free bios if they already exist?
I'm not sure -- though this (http://dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=89863&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) link is pretty interesting. Nothing is solid and it seems unlikely to happen.

Dull Blade
June 7th, 2007, 21:03
Ohhh, I see. I sould of read the fine print closer. When I saw "region changer" in the title I though it had to do with the hardware region changes. If would chip my DC but I couldn't be bothered to locate and pay for one.

qatmix
June 8th, 2007, 20:58
Look.

you need to do a simple hardware mod which allows you to change your Dreamcast bios. Then you run the disc. Its better than a modchip as it makes the machine native so games that wouldnt run with a modchip (DDR etc) will run with this mod.

its a great hardware hack and It takes about 15 mins to do,

Dull Blade
June 9th, 2007, 02:12
I've known about the hardware region changer mod for a while, but I have both NTSC and PAL games and only 1 dreamcast, so If I convert it to pal, then it wont boot my ntsc games. I might as well keep it ntsc because i have more ntsc games. However I'll look into this, it might be possible to put a switch in the circuit, allowing easy region changes. I'm not new to circuitry, so there is a good chance I may do it.

qatmix
June 9th, 2007, 18:56
no sorry you dont understand.

the region mod goes with this software. To change teh region you just run the disc and slect the region you want. the DC will remain that region for as long as you want. If you want to change it again you just run this software and change the region.

Its great.

Dull Blade
June 9th, 2007, 20:06
Ok so you just put in the wire and run the cd. This seems ok. I'm going to start playing shenmue 2 again, so If I do this, I 'll just temperarily convert my DC to pal and avoid the dreaded boot disk.

sonofademon
June 11th, 2007, 22:20
Is there a tutorial on the hardware mod anywhere?
This looks to be just what i need.

It's hard being NTSC in the UK...