PDA

View Full Version : StellaDS v0.71 Released - Atari2600 Emulator for DS

wraggster
June 6th, 2007, 17:28
The Atari2600 was the first console as a very young lad i remember seeing and playing and today the Chuckster (http://thechuckster.homelinux.com/index.php?id=22) releases a new version of his Atari 2600 Emulator for the Nintendo DS and it comes with a load of Homebrew games for the Atari 2600 :)

Heres whats new:

All right, here's a much-needed StellaDS Atari 2600 emulator update before the major overhaul begins. Changes include:

DLDI and libfat support for all of the new flash cartridges
Updated to latest devkitpro toolchain
Long-awaited streaming sound without any crackling and popping noises
Code optimizations (code in the ITCM and the new armv5te compiler optimizations)
Faster speed but still not 100%
Usability enhancements with the menus (key repeat, no more bogus dot entries)
So now the sound finally works as it should, and many more people with microSD cards and the like can enjoy StellaDS. Look forward for more features in the future! Wifi multiplayer Warlords or Pong anyone? How about 100% speed via an assembly-optimized CPU emulator? I can't make any guarantees, but I'm definitely trying to implement these features.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Sir_Voe
June 6th, 2007, 18:32
This version is my first experience with StellaDS, and I'm glad I finally gave it a shot. The backup selection screen is a little twitchy for some reason, but the sound and graphics are dead on from what I've played. Playing Haunted House on the DS brings back many fond memories. Thank you.

JushinLiger
June 6th, 2007, 23:03
YES! I've been looking forward to this for ages. I might even be able to beat Solaris now!

crookedmouth
June 7th, 2007, 02:37
Holy $*&#! Thank you Chuckster.

First thing I'm loading up is ET. lol (just kidding)

Seriously though, I can't wait for HERO, Cosmic Ark, Pitfall, Empire Strikes Back.....

Just checked it out and there is no sound and a pixelated bar on the right side, guess my crap card can't handle this one. :)

Anyway, great work. Still very playable.

Edit: Sound works!.I have to keep the number of roms to 12, I believe. Just awesome!

duckharding30
June 7th, 2007, 08:35
have tried a great many games so far and most work fine some slower than others but there is quite a few that are pretty much full speed, i have sound working fine on everything but would have loved a fast scroll button on the menu screen as i have 527 roms on the list :-) this is a great release i cant wait for the next update.

F2bnp
June 7th, 2007, 10:01
Managed to play HERO!Very good update.

Mini Moose
September 28th, 2007, 06:11
I can't get it to work on my MMD! (v1.22)
I patched it with the latest DLDI and every thing.
Someone please help me.....:confused:

crookedmouth
September 28th, 2007, 11:59
I know it works.
For some reason atarids.nds has to be in the root of your card, not in a folder.
All of the game roms (which can be in .bin and .a26) must be in a folder named stellads also on the root of your card.
Of course continue to dldi patch it, and be forwarned that not every game plays at 100% speed.

Coire
September 30th, 2007, 19:07
This Is One Cool Emulator! Nice One. The Atari 2600 was before my time, So I might just find some real Gems.

crookedmouth
October 1st, 2007, 02:30
Look for Empire Strikes Back, it plays at a good speed and is a great star wars game and the first licensed star wars game to boot. It's a Defender inspired game but well worth playing IMO.

Mini Moose
October 1st, 2007, 07:22
I know it works.
For some reason atarids.nds has to be in the root of your card, not in a folder.
All of the game roms (which can be in .bin and .a26) must be in a folder named stellads also on the root of your card.
Of course continue to dldi patch it, and be forwarned that not every game plays at 100% speed.
Fantastic! It works! :D Thank you! XD
Does sound work? Cause I read on some sites that it works and others say it doesn't. StellaDS says "Initializing Sound..." and "Done Initializing Sound!" but I hear nothing.
I'm confused.... ._.'

crookedmouth
October 2nd, 2007, 03:28
For me on my MMD, I have to reboot again and again until sound is functional. Sadly this was the same for FrodoDS.
Hope that works for you.

shertz
October 17th, 2007, 04:39
I keep getting this message "Unable to initialize libfat!" on my G6 lite. What is dldi patch anyway?? I cant find it anywhere.

crookedmouth
October 17th, 2007, 12:06
I keep getting this message "Unable to initialize libfat!" on my G6 lite. What is dldi patch anyway?? I cant find it anywhere.

Read here
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54281

And read my reply in the MarcaDS thread. DLDIRC is really the easiest method of patching your .nds files.

anthonyharris
October 17th, 2007, 19:10
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/
this is where you can get all your dldi patches. just download the patch which matches your card and download the patcher software, dlditool.

____anders____
November 3rd, 2007, 13:42
bowling, dig dug and human cannonball works at 100% speed and sound.

fast scroll would be nice as i have 2564 roms..

almost every rom i've tried works at almost 100% speed with sound on my r4.

Very good emu, keep it up!

mysticwaterfall
August 25th, 2008, 11:24
I followed all the instructions from TheChuckster - downloaded devkitpro, downloaded the source code, and put the .bins in the proper directory. It will compile for a while, then die with an error. - I keep getting:

make -C arm7
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/devkitPro/arm7'
make[2]: `/c/devkitPro/devkitPro.arm7' is up to date.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/devkitPro/arm7'
make -C arm9
make[1]: Entering directory `/c/devkitPro/arm9'
main.cpp
arm-eabi-g++ -MMD -MP -MF /c/devkitPro/arm9/build/main.d -g -Wall -O2 -march=arm
v5te -mtune=arm946e-s -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -marm -mthumb-interwork -
I/c/devkitPro/arm9/include -I/c/devkitPro/libnds/include -I/c/devkitPro/arm9/bui
ld -DARM9 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -c /c/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp -o main
.o
In file included from c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:20:
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/ringbuffer.h: In member function 'void Ring_Buffer::Buf
fer_Data(const void*, unsigned int&)':
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/ringbuffer.h:26: error: 'memcpy' was not declared in th
is scope
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/ringbuffer.h: In member function 'void Ring_Buffer::Get
_Data(void*, unsigned int&)':
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/ringbuffer.h:42: error: 'memcpy' was not declared in th
is scope
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp: At global scope:
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:38: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to 'char*'
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp: In function 'void loadROM()':
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:182: error: 'free' was not declared in this sc
ope
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:185: error: 'strcat' was not declared in this
scope
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:198: error: 'malloc' was not declared in this
scope
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:201: warning: unused variable 'bytesread'
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp: In function 'bool dotextmenu()':
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:263: warning: comparison between signed and un
signed integer expressions
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:281: warning: comparison between signed and un
c:/devkitPro/arm9/source/main.cpp:289: warning: comparison between signed and un
make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/devkitPro/arm9'
make: *** [arm9/devkitPro.elf] Error 2

Is there something else you have to do besides just copy the .bin files and use the makefile?

crookedmouth
August 25th, 2008, 16:42
You absolutly need to compile it?

JDvorak
January 4th, 2009, 17:11
No need to compile just download the emulator DLDI patch atarids.nds for your card, drop it in the root with the roms in the stellads folder and run it. Roms can be .bin or .a26. Pal roms flicker rest don't so just delete the Pal roms and run the NTSC roms. Works about 70% to 100% depending on the game. Some roms crash most don't. Yes it has sound although some games (PD) do not have any sound in the demo/game.

crookedmouth
January 5th, 2009, 03:55
He may have been trying to do something different with the source code. I was curious, but that was over 4 months ago. I bet he figured it out. :)

scratch_porkings
January 15th, 2009, 06:13
I've just got my 8 year old son playing adventure and he loves it! theres still life in the old dog.