PDA

View Full Version : Sony to cut jobs at US PlayStation subsidiary

JKKDARK
June 7th, 2007, 14:19
via MENAFN (http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story_s.asp?StoryId=1093155756)

Sony Corp., the world's largest maker of video-game players, has announced fresh plans to cut jobs at its PlayStation subsidiary in the U.S. to reduce costs, Bloomberg reported.

The reductions add to planned job cuts in Europe and come after the PlayStation 3 contributed to a $558 million fourth-quarter loss, the company's widest in four years. Sony's video-game unit, which has sold more than 100 million PlayStation 2 consoles, is under pressure to boost sales of the PS3, which trails sales of Nintendo Co.'s Wii and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360.

Last month, Sony said that its losses at the game unit will narrow by almost 80 percent in the year ending March 2008 and will turn profitable the following year, as the company raises sales and slashes production costs.

Also, Tokyo-based Sony in April said it may cut 160 jobs at its European game unit to reduce costs. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd. has 1,900 workers, it said.

Boopop
June 7th, 2007, 17:40
I play games and i wasn't made by sony.

acn010
June 7th, 2007, 17:56
eh, ok... so this means that i wont get a job from sony??? crap, lol

R4mbo
June 7th, 2007, 18:21
Sony will get what it deserves. It the fault of their fantastic PR (lol, fu) they did the last year(s). Just sry for the people which work there, hope they find another job. For me, i continue boycotting everything from ****ing sony.

jwilds73
June 7th, 2007, 18:33
Why don't some of the Japanese exec's do the honorable thing and commit seepuku.

Dee-Lite
June 7th, 2007, 19:27
WOW now Sony are claiming they make the game players too!! :D

Firing their own people is yet another example of Sony's ignorance and greed. They make a sh!t console that's not doing too well. They would do well to learn from this motto

You can't polish a turd

Dee

Shadowblind
June 7th, 2007, 19:47
Sony, the largest video game-player maker--

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That title belongs to Nintendo and the makers of Halo ONLY. (Very argueable, the Halo part, but over 6 mill play Halo :) )

BTW, Nice one Dee, i'm gonna use that in a quote someday

Basil Zero
June 7th, 2007, 20:26
LOL @ Boopop's post

Err...anyways, if i was gonna work with a game company, I would go for Nintendo..lol

Actually in a way, Sony is still the largest video game company, system wise, Nintendo would be close, microsoft wouldnt be at all.

This is business, its messed up, but thats how business is

Joe88
June 7th, 2007, 23:36
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That title belongs to Nintendo and the makers of Halo ONLY. (Very argueable, the Halo part, but over 6 mill play Halo :) )

BTW, Nice one Dee, i'm gonna use that in a quote someday

do you know how many PS2 units have been sold woldwide up to this point???
way more then any other shipped

also lol halo
go play half-life 2 (pc ver not xbox >.>)

anyway back on to the topic
I still play my ps2, dont have any plans for the ps3 atm, wait for good games to come out like MGS4 and such, then maybe Ill buy one.
I have a Wii, im bored of it, thats why im playing my PS2 again. The novelty for the Wii doesnt last very long. Just like every other novelty (eyetoy, guncon, ect...) they all died out, fairly quicky.

Demolition49
June 8th, 2007, 02:17
Sony arnt the largest video game maker ever infact it has to be nintendo hands down, if you probably compared total video game units sold by nintendo then sony, im sure nintendo would really kick sonys ass. Its only because sony got big off the ps2 every1 sems o think they been doing this since the beggining of time.

Shadowblind
June 8th, 2007, 03:05
Nintendo started in around 1987 I think? When did Sony start? 1996 or 7 I believe for the videogame buisness.

Joe88
June 8th, 2007, 03:24
After Nintendo rejected the merger with Sony to create a new system.

Nintendo said no(one of the worst mistakes they ever made) , sony then said alright, created the PS1,
and the rest is history...

JKKDARK
June 8th, 2007, 04:15
Nintendo started in around 1987 I think? When did Sony start? 1996 or 7 I believe for the videogame buisness.

n00b!

Nintendo started in 1975, getting the rights to distribute the Magnavox Odyssey in Japan.
And Sony started in the early 90's, working on games for various consoles. But Sony Computer Entertainment (who made the consoles) was founded in 1993.

sappo
June 8th, 2007, 13:47
anyway back on to the topic
I still play my ps2, dont have any plans for the ps3 atm, wait for good games to come out like MGS4 and such, then maybe Ill buy one.
I have a Wii, im bored of it, thats why im playing my PS2 again. The novelty for the Wii doesnt last very long. Just like every other novelty (eyetoy, guncon, ect...) they all died out, fairly quicky.

Strange, after I bought the Wii, my two PS2 got so useless that now they are full of dust :D

shiftybill
June 10th, 2007, 15:52
i believe nintendo was originally a trading card company back in the late 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

check it out :D

JKKDARK
June 10th, 2007, 16:36
i believe nintendo was originally a trading card company back in the late 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo

check it out :D

Yes, but we are talking about the videogame buisness.