PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in Arms DS

wraggster
June 8th, 2007, 06:46
New from Play Asia (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-cl-49-en-84-j-70-21y2.html)

http://image1.play-asia.com/170/5b/pa.95834.5.jpg

features
Brothers In Arms® on DS for the first time: Game exclusively designed for the DS with easy-to-use, stylus-based controls such as the screen aiming system.
Impressive, realistic 3D graphics: Incredibly detailed environments, highly believable characters and enemies, cinematic camera angles, and great animation.
Drivable vehicles: Drive a 4x4 or a Sherman tank and use a wide range of weapons (bazooka, sniper rifle, grenades, and more) to destroy the enemy.
16 missions and three different campaigns: Relive the intensity of WWII through three different campaigns, from North Africa to Normandy.
Redesigned new multiplayer experience: Fight major multiplayer battles with three of your friends with different multiplayer modes including Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch.
Contextual movements: Gameplay adapted to the DS hardware with auto-cover behind walls or auto-recovering life system.
An unrivaled sense of drama: Stronger emotional factor due to the third-person view and dialogue between the soldiers.

description
The critically acclaimed WWII shooter is now available on Nintendo DS™ for the first time. Discover a completely redesigned game that fully takes advantage of the DS functionalities.

http://image1.play-asia.com/640/5b/pa.95834.3.jpg

F2bnp
June 8th, 2007, 07:27
This is actually good although the framerate is not the best.

x999x
June 8th, 2007, 16:38
I agree 100%, this game really surprised me, I wasn't expecting this game to play so well.

Right now I'm almost done with Normandy, and I've had to slow myself down on purpose from blazing through it. The gameplay has thus far been dynamic enough to hold my attention, from driving tanks, snipe missions, planting charges, down to driving over "jerries" in a jeep :)

Multiplayer is limited to local wifi with friends, which is kinda sad, because the game also plays very well in death match. Grenades are extremely powerful, and can be used effectively in rooting out campers/snipers, as well as a salt-and-pepper combination to flush out a blind spot with a 'nade and pepper whatever comes out with bullets.

Visually, the game is on par with a ps1 game, and although the framerate has dropped at times, it does not seem to drop beyond the point of hindering playability. I have read that this game is actually a port of a cellphone game, which would lead one to believe that a DS specific build from the ground up would deliver a more lavish geometry engine.

With that said, this is my current favorite DS game, and preferred FPS, pushing Metroid off it's throne.

rigor
June 8th, 2007, 17:00
It's not a FPS, the game plays at the third person view. Yes, you control a character and you aim with the stylus to shoot like Metroid, but it's not an FPS.

x999x
June 8th, 2007, 21:54
It's not a FPS, the game plays at the third person view. Yes, you control a character and you aim with the stylus to shoot like Metroid, but it's not an FPS.

The onscreen character makes actions like taking cover behind objects easier to do.

For all intents and purposes, everything controls and plays exactly like an FPS.

dylandangles
June 8th, 2007, 21:55
Is this game online?

tomqman
June 8th, 2007, 22:41
this is a great game. and im not a fan of war games but i think this is one of the best ds games

Hyrule_boy
June 8th, 2007, 22:47
Is this game online?

Buy some glasses.

x999x
June 8th, 2007, 23:33
Buy some glasses.

Ouch.

But yeah, it's HARD to believe this game DOES NOT HAVE ONLINE multiplayer. It's soo good! Grenades are seriously fun!

toymin80r
June 9th, 2007, 00:06
this game is awesome guys, i didn't expect much out of it from the earlier screen shots, but once i played the first stage, i knew this was gonna be a great game. They should've used up 128 megs though, im pretty sure that the game would've probably looked better and have more guns and some more things if it was a larger game (as in the memory it takes up on the cartridge). Hopefully Ubisoft decides to make another BIA game for the ds, and adds a wi-fi option along with a few improvements over the game play. I can really see a lot more shooters coming out for the ds that can compete with this game.

Hyrule_boy
June 9th, 2007, 00:10
this game is awesome guys, i didn't expect much out of it from the earlier screen shots, but once i played the first stage, i knew this was gonna be a great game. They should've used up 128 megs though, im pretty sure that the game would've probably looked better and have more guns and some more things if it was a larger game (as in the memory it takes up on the cartridge). Hopefully Ubisoft decides to make another BIA game for the ds, and adds a wi-fi option along with a few improvements over the game play. I can really see a lot more shooters coming out for the ds that can compete with this game.
What the game lacks most at the moment is a stable framerate. And if this game sells good there will come another version!

Mr_Biggs
June 9th, 2007, 01:26
crappy PS1 graphics, awesome gameplay. if ubisoft built an engine from the ground up for this game, the GFX might be more leeter. i played the normandy campaign, purely amazing stuff. cant wait for another one.

XDelusion
June 9th, 2007, 01:48
If onyl it had Lovecraftian horrors oozing in from "the other side", then at least the plot would entertain me. ;)

Other than that, it's a great game, though it is really a shame they did not make this FPS, as the Camera can get annoying when you are next to a building...

...proof again that unless it is called Ninja Gaiden, 3D games should not be in 3rd person!

imprompt
June 9th, 2007, 08:18
An excellent game.
:thumbup:

F2bnp
June 9th, 2007, 09:10
I think these graphics are even better than PS1 graphics!

Echo1
June 9th, 2007, 12:42
No, I've played it. The graphics don't go beyond PSone level - which is okay as they look sharper on the tiny DS screen(s)

Wezwee
June 12th, 2007, 11:00
Well seeing as the DS is only just slightly more powerful than the PS1 I wouldnt expect the graphics be perfect :\

PS1:
CPU: 32-bit RISC (33.9MHz)
RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM
Polygons: 360,000 per second
Resolution: 640x480

Now i found a site with 'leaked' DS specs..
so i'll put it in the same format as above

DS:
CPU: 67MHz ARM9 (& 33MHz ARM7)
RAM: 4MB main RAM, 656kb Video RAM
Polygons: 120,000 per second
Resolution: (2x) 192x256

Nnnnsic
June 12th, 2007, 12:41
This game is great. I started work today as a game reviewer and this is just really cool.

Really hard, but not annoying-I-want-to-throw-it-out-of-a-window hard. A good challenging hard.

Two irritating things:
1. I think the camera is sketchy at times. I've been killed several times because there's been a building in front of my camera that takes too long to get around from, and
2. I think the AI on the same team as you is weak... they just can't seem to hit much in many of the scenes.