PDA

View Full Version : job interview

gunntims0103
June 8th, 2007, 18:14
I'm about to go to my very first job interview. I'm a little nervous as to what sort of questions the manager will be asking me. I was originally going to try and apply at GameStop. It would be very easy for me to get there since there numerous GameStops almost everywhere. It would also be great to work there because i deal with games almost everyday anyway. Hence DCEmu :P

I applied to FinishLine http://www.finishline.com/store/index.jsp

I have an interview with them in a short while. Its a sneaker store, which sneakers is a second hobby of mine. First would be DCEmu.

Any words of advice for my first interview would be great :)

splodger15
June 8th, 2007, 19:36
Here are a few questions they could ask

school qualifications
any experience in this type of work before

Also when you go in there try to make a good impression as soon as you go in through the door.

Dress smartly
Speak clearly

Sit up try not to slouch and look as if you cant be asked to here.

Make eye contact with the employer I know its hard for some people but it can show you are interested.

They make ask you: if you have a criminal record , ASBO, Reprimand

dejkirkby
June 8th, 2007, 20:04
My advice to you is to be yourself, no point trying to be anything else!
Good luck gunntims!

splodger15
June 8th, 2007, 20:18
Oh yeh Good Luck aswell.

steve520
June 8th, 2007, 20:24
good luck. and dont give them a hint that your nervous be confident in yourself. hope you get the job

Mark30001
June 8th, 2007, 20:24
Make sure you make a firm hand-grip when shaking hands, but don't break their hand (I nearly did once). :D

gunntims0103
June 8th, 2007, 20:25
Thanks guys, just got a hair cut and im about to get dressed soon. First time ever getting a job so im a bit nervous. Its like being a bird nursed by family and friends, then thrown into the "real world".

It should be good experience for me.

:)

dejkirkby
June 8th, 2007, 20:29
You WILL get the job, I have faith in you!

Accordion
June 8th, 2007, 21:29
Make sure you make a firm hand-grip when shaking hands, but don't break their hand (I nearly did once). :D

this is very important in general.

being on the recieving end of a stroke is one of lifes most uncomfortable moments.

other than that...be normal, but dont cross you arms

whoever interviews you will most likely make up their mind within the first couple of minutes.

Vampbri-n
June 8th, 2007, 21:35
My advice to you is to be yourself, no point trying to be anything else!
Good luck gunntims!

Yeah you need to be yourself thats what lets them know your not pretending to like this job or somthing.:thumbup:

kcajblue
June 8th, 2007, 23:43
make sure you get a handshake at the end.

gunntims0103
June 8th, 2007, 23:44
Just got back from the interview. The manager didn't seem like a bad guy, he often made jokes and was pretty funny. The interview in my opinion went very well. The manager told me i most likely have the job, he nodded in approval.

All went well, hope im hired :)

kcajblue
June 8th, 2007, 23:46
lol. i guess i was late with my comment as i just got home.
but it sounds like the interview went very well.

Vampbri-n
June 8th, 2007, 23:55
yay now your making money, then there taxes>_<

V3N0M
June 8th, 2007, 23:58
Hey don't forget to mention you help manage a gaming website. That will earn you some extra points :thumbup:. That is if you're still applying for the GameStop position. :cool: What I found humerus about this thread is I just got an Internship for a programming company ( Great experience opportunity ;) ). Afterwards I plan on applying at a GameCrazy. GameStop's competitor :p.

EDIT: Looks like I was a bit late too in getting this precious advice to you..:rofl:

dejkirkby
June 9th, 2007, 00:47
Well done Gunntims!
Interviews will get easier!

gunntims0103
June 9th, 2007, 00:59
Thanks guys. All i have to do now is wait for the call. The manager has to check my referrers and make sure everything is all good.

One think i really don't like is people your friends with or people you know going to your job just cause you work there. Thats really annoying

acn010
June 9th, 2007, 01:13
so, any news???? do you think you'll get the job???
once i did that he was funny, and later he never called me for the job...i pretty much felt bad

gunntims0103
June 9th, 2007, 01:32
so, any news???? do you think you'll get the job???
once i did that he was funny, and later he never called me for the job...i pretty much felt bad

lol, yea im hoping that doesn't happen. I think it might though. Managers can come off cool and you think everything went well. Then BAM no phone call.

I haven't gotten any news from them yet. I might get word tomorrow or by Monday. If i don't get conformation by Monday. Ill be looking for another job.

acn010
June 9th, 2007, 01:49
ha ha ha... it is true... hope for the best ok??? never think negative

V3N0M
June 9th, 2007, 02:01
Well I personally would continue looking for other jobs now. Don't get your hopes up for one job, you want to try to apply to as many as you can to increase your chances of landing a job as well as have a few other job opportunities to choose from. No worry’s, Best of luck to you gunntims! :thumbup: I'm curious though, you still using your Wii to access the internet? :p

gunntims0103
June 9th, 2007, 03:29
Well sometimes. Not as much anymore since i have my friends laptop. He let me use it for a really long time, so im real greatful for that.

Anyone know about a range of how long it takes jobs after interviews to contact you?

I would say 2 days, no?

SnesR0X
June 9th, 2007, 08:13
Usually 2-4. I could be longer depending on how many other people have applied recently. Do you have an idea how many other people want/applied for the job?

splodger15
June 9th, 2007, 09:52
^ ^
Yeh if alot more have applied they will choose the best few. But they should contact you on monday.

dejkirkby
June 9th, 2007, 10:11
In my current job, it took 5 days for the hierarchy to contact me! I still got the job (and a phat pay rise!!)