PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite vs Sony PS3 Summary Judgement

Triv1um
June 9th, 2007, 19:04
Via Product Reviews (http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/06/09/microsoft-xbox-360-elite-vs-sony-ps3-summery-judgement/)

With so many fans dedicated to their type of games system with the most popular being the Xbox 360, Sony PS3 and the Nintendo Wii. We thought we should compare a basic summery of the new powerhouse Sony Playstation 3 and the latest Xbox 360 upgrade (as it was out a while ago).

Xbox 360 Elite
The upgrade of the popular next-gen video game console has a 120GB hard drive (much bigger than before) and HDMI output which again is missed on the first release of the 360.

The Xbox 360 Elite has an excellent selection of Top-notch games and a couple of but very important improvements over the first model, what I do not like is the Noisy DVD drive and cooling fan on the 360, no built in HD DVD drive, no built-in wireless networking and the massive power supply.

Sony PS3
This next-generation games console from Sony has great media features particularly an integrated Blu-ray player, quiet operation, no external power supply, online play is free, (UPDATE: media streaming from PCs and remote Internet access via a PSP thanks to firmware update), Wi-Fi and it may be more expensive but taking into account all the extra features it has that you have to buy separate on the Xbox 360 it then works out about the same cost.

What I do not like about the Sony PS3 is the lack of good games at the start of this consoles life, the HDMI cable is not included; no force feedback support in the controller and the Sony PS3 doesn’t upscale DVDs to hi-def resolution (UPDATE: feature was introduced in a recent firmware update (http://www.product-reviews.net/2007/05/25/ps3-firmware-180-released-streaming-your-media/)).

Both Consoles Summery:
The Sony PlayStation 3 may be the most expensive, but because of its cool design and amount of features this console is perfect for people that want less clutter and more in the package from start.
The PS3 might not have all the greatest selection of games now, but give it another year and things will be very different.

The Xbox 360 Elite is not a must have upgrade for Xbox 360 current owners and its not got as many features as the PS3, but currently the 360 has the top-notch gaming and digital media features to make it the better choice out of the two next-gen consoles…but give the Sony PS3 some time and things could change a lot.

SSaxdude
June 9th, 2007, 20:06
It all comes down to the games. The 360's lineup looks better than the PS3's (in my opinion.) But I'm sure if I were a RPG fan I would probably choose Sony's console instead.

ketchup
June 11th, 2007, 08:11
Not sure about the "PS3's cool design." It's like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it. Personally I hate it.
PS3 is quiet, most of the time. When the noise kicks in though, wow what a noise!

I also wonder how long the free online gaming will be. Will it be forever or will cost come later, (servers and maintenance are damned expensive). Paid for by advertising?

One last thing. I am concerned by the fact that you can browse the web with the PS3. I'm wondering if the thing can get attacked and the core firmware corrupted by a virus type of thing. Paranoia maybe but I do worry. Smart Ars&% crack this and mod that etc. So I'm thinking it's only a matter of time!!!

Triv1um
June 11th, 2007, 16:18
I also wonder how long the free online gaming will be. Will it be forever or will cost come later, (servers and maintenance are damned expensive). Paid for by advertising?

The PS2 lasted through all of its life without cosing. I really cant see them money grab like that like microsoft.

Dickhead
June 13th, 2007, 10:13
Yeah I know that the Xbox 360 is cheaper at the moment but when the PS3 price comes down then thats when the rubber will hit the road for most people

the_eternal_dark
June 14th, 2007, 12:46
I'm not a big fan on wasting the electricity by playing my movies on consoles when most players are using about 1/5 the power at most and have no noise at all...

acn010
June 14th, 2007, 12:58
i have a ps3, it cooks eggs, is that revolutionary??? lmao!!!

Stigmatized
June 14th, 2007, 13:40
I reckon the 360 really does well with its achievement points; if the PS3 designed a points system it may be more popular I'm not sure. I think the price is quite high, but then you are getting a blu ray player, and an advanced next gen console too.

Come september/october there will be some good games coming out, GTA4, MGS4, etc so I think more people will buy it then.

I have both consoles and would say at the moment the 360 is better, only because of the points system and range of games.