PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros - Dynarec Update (10.06.07)

blackrave
June 10th, 2007, 17:13
Moments ago, StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com) posted some really exciting news about Daedalus. Here's a direct quote:

This is just a quick update to let everyone know I've finally figured out why the dynarec wasn't working in Super Smash Bros. The problem has taken a lot longer to identify than I'd hoped - in part because it was a particularly tricky bug but also because I've not had as much time to work on Daedalus recently as I would have liked.

Anyway, I managed to spend a few hours this weekend isolating the problem, and after a little experimentation I've been able to come up with a temporary workaround. With the fix in place SSB is running at around 30-40fps in game on the PSP, which is very exciting.

Now that I've identified the problem my next job is to come up with a permanent, robust solution to help fix similar problems in other roms. I also want to add some improved checks in the debug build to help spot other situations where this problem arises.

For those that are interested I'll post an update shortly (within the next day or so) with some of the technical details.

-StrmnNrmn

Great news, good luck!

Sonicboy 101
June 10th, 2007, 17:15
30-40fps? That's amazing!
Great news! Thanks StrmnNrmn!

DarthPaul
June 10th, 2007, 17:51
Omg 30-40fps! Awesome!

Gold Line
June 10th, 2007, 17:57
:eek: thats fast!

dthpsc
June 10th, 2007, 17:58
SSB is running at around 30-40fps in game on the PSP

Good God, that is fast. Does this mean Super Mario 64 has gotten faster as well? :confused: ... nevertheless glad to see the most ambitious and quite possibly the greatest emu alive and kicking. :thumbup:

Buddy4point0
June 10th, 2007, 18:01
30-40 fps!!!!! OMG! i cant wait for this update!!!!!! dude! i hope that makes all other games go faster too!
super mario was at like 20, so now mabey its full speed!

Triv1um
June 10th, 2007, 18:03
Wow, lmao.

30-40 fps!!!

Amazing.

Cant wait.

Safari Al
June 10th, 2007, 18:06
this is gonna be awesome! can't wait to play SSB!!!!

tophead420
June 10th, 2007, 18:08
30-40 fps!!!!! OMG! i cant wait for this update!!!!!! dude! i hope that makes all other games go faster too!
super mario was at like 20, so now mabey its full speed!

I feel you man. I really hope this helps speed up Zelda Orcarina of time, Donkey Kong 64 ( maybe it will boot correctly this time), And Mario 64. Especially the first 2. Those were my favorite games back in the day. Well great work Nrmn and keep up the great work. O yeh thanks for the updates to :p :thumbup:

Gold Line
June 10th, 2007, 18:11
mario 64, zelda oot, ssb and zelda mm might all be full speed in the next update!

Basil Zero
June 10th, 2007, 18:33
Super Smash bros 30-40 fps? WOW!!!

I wanted to play the classic fighter on PSP since N64 emulation was possible

CaptainMorgan4
June 10th, 2007, 18:34
Guys these Dynarec issues that StrmnNrmn has semi fixed in SSB right now will have NO EFFECT over other games in speed unless they had the same problem. So Mario 64 and the other games working won't be any faster because of these SSB fixes, they are only for SSB. Remember though he did make some small speed fixes for all games in R12 and also we'll be able to boot Goldeneye now in the next update so alot to look forward to, thanks StrmnNrmn!

burrito
June 10th, 2007, 18:58
Guys these Dynarec issues that StrmnNrmn has semi fixed in SSB right now will have NO EFFECT over other games in speed unless they had the same problem. So Mario 64 and the other games working won't be any faster because of these SSB fixes, they are only for SSB. Remember though he did make some small speed fixes for all games in R12 and also we'll be able to boot Goldeneye now in the next update so alot to look forward to, thanks StrmnNrmn!
I was just going to say this.
StrmnNrmn found a way to fix just Super Smash Bros., which is what he calls a temporary fix. He is still working on making all games having this fix.

jurkevicz
June 10th, 2007, 19:06
I wonder if these fixes would benefit Goldeneye.

StrmnNrmn
June 10th, 2007, 19:10
Morgan/taco are right - this is purely a compatibility fix that enables dynarec for SSB. Unfortunately it will have no effect on games which already run with dynarec, but hopefully a few more incompatible games will now be able to run.

For this reason it won't affect Goldeneye either, but there are other fixes in R12 that get this running with dynarec (it's nowhere near as fast as SSB though :( )

CaptainMorgan4
June 10th, 2007, 19:32
StrmnNrmn cool to see you on, when do you plan on fixing the DKR issues, because with the FPS display on you can see it runs pretty fast, Starfox 64 speeds.

burrito
June 10th, 2007, 19:39
StrmnNrmn, will the next version be released by next week?
I think it is much better to have many small updates frequently, rather than larger updates occasionally.

DarthPaul
June 10th, 2007, 20:21
Nah,I can't agree with you there taco111. I prefer to have one worth release,than many worthless releases. For me,it's better if he takes his time and work on that version the most he can. I hope for a good sound fix too this time.

xg917
June 10th, 2007, 20:33
man i dont wana bother StrmnNrmn with any questions.
i just want to know.. when is the ME going to be included
and what is he planning to do for next release R13

masamune
June 10th, 2007, 21:03
Yay!

StrmnNrmn
June 10th, 2007, 21:05
StrmnNrmn cool to see you on, when do you plan on fixing the DKR issues, because with the FPS display on you can see it runs pretty fast, Starfox 64 speeds.

The problem with DKR is that it uses a proprietary microcode for displaylist processing. To get the graphics working nicely would require a significant amount of reverse engineering. As the work wouldn't benefit any other games I'd have to be sure most people would prefer getting DKR working rather than spending the time on another title.

Maybe we can have apoll after R12 is release :)

MadCat_rus
June 10th, 2007, 21:46
I would like to ask StrmnNrmn: is there even a slight chance that Conker will ever work, even 15-20fps? I think that it won't, but I would like to hear Author's opinion. Thanks...

mavsman4457
June 10th, 2007, 22:02
This is going to be awesome. SSB is one of my favorite games for N64 and is an incredible multiplayer game.

CaptainMorgan4
June 10th, 2007, 22:04
Thanks alot for answering my question StrmnNrmn and I like the poll idea after the R12 release. Throw a few popular titles up there and lets us vote, thanks again for answering my DKR question but when do you think the ME will be incorporated into Daedalus.

Harshboy
June 10th, 2007, 23:38
HOLY CRAP!!!! Now only if Majora's Mask could run that fast with Sound ;)

fatcat04912
June 11th, 2007, 01:05
awsome now if only you could make it ad-hoc so i could do the black hole glitch =) that would be truly amazing

felonyr301
June 11th, 2007, 01:44
Yea definitely like the idea about having a poll after r12 release. Personally I would like to see ME being put on or something with sound improvement and have either zelda 64 game be improved on speed and more reliable.

pspvik
June 11th, 2007, 02:35
always doing an
awsome job StrmnNrmn

can't wait for the release.

gunntims0103
June 11th, 2007, 02:42
Wow, StrmnNrmn has really gotten a great speed up for SSB in-game. It sounds awesome. I can't wait for the next release :)

porchemasi
June 11th, 2007, 03:31
Totally amazing work!

and to all these comments ....

i believe he fixed this individual game ... he fixed the glitch in dynarec not working for SSB ..

other games like zelda already have dynarec enabled and running ... running how well or correctly is a different story. Lets hope he tackles the TOP 10 N64 games in the world individually or ifnds a universal patch in the dynarec code:thumbup:

Gold Line
June 11th, 2007, 03:42
these are the top 10 most wanted games

1. zelda oot
2. mario 64
3. goldeneye 007
4. mario kart 64
5. banjo kazooie
6. paper mario
7. zelda mm
8. conkers bad fur day
9. ssb
10. banjo tooie

and a good wwf game (for me :D)

Solidsnake3000
June 11th, 2007, 04:06
how fast is 30-40 fps cause i just wana play mario and it has to look way better than the ds or iam sticking to killzone online lol i wish for 2player games it has ad hoc

factor remix
June 11th, 2007, 04:20
StrmnNrmn, can I ask you a favor? Can you add an option to swap the Nintendo64 analog stick with PSP D-Pad? I really need this because I broke my analog stick... and I can only enjoy games like Grand Theft Auto (because there is a option to change your analog stick with the D-Pad) and some emulators (snes-tyl and gpSP).

I think this wont take too much coding, and people with my problem or with smililar problem can still enjoy your emulator and play Super Smash Bros. at a great speed.

-Sorry for bad grammar

syberjj
June 11th, 2007, 04:21
mario 64, zelda oot, ssb and zelda mm might all be full speed in the next update!

is this a guess or a statemant?

anyway, keep up the god work!
ssm and the zelda games are really the greatest ones for the n64

Gold Line
June 11th, 2007, 04:33
is this a guess or a statemant?

anyway, keep up the god work!
ssm and the zelda games are really the greatest ones for the n64

no that was a guess. and i was wrong only ssb will be full speed :(

SpacemanSpiff
June 11th, 2007, 05:29
how fast is 30-40 fps

For Smash Brothers its one half to two/thirds of full speed. Smash Brothers is one of the few N64 games to run at 60 fps.

CaptainMorgan4
June 11th, 2007, 08:10
R12 should be great, with the Dynarec fixes and SSB being improved, and the fact Goldeneye can now boot is very exciting.

Yungblaqs
June 11th, 2007, 14:36
Yo your doing a great job keep it up man!!!

Sonicboy 101
June 11th, 2007, 15:22
StrmnNrmn, can I ask you a favor? Can you add an option to swap the Nintendo64 analog stick with PSP D-Pad? I really need this because I broke my analog stick... and I can only enjoy games like Grand Theft Auto (because there is a option to change your analog stick with the D-Pad) and some emulators (snes-tyl and gpSP).

I think this wont take too much coding, and people with my problem or with smililar problem can still enjoy your emulator and play Super Smash Bros. at a great speed.

-Sorry for bad grammar

Yeah, mine too...
Sucks, doesn't it? :(

lockrock
June 11th, 2007, 22:52
here's my top ten

1.banjo tooie
2.mario 64
3.dk 64
4.star fox
5.banjo kazooie
6.zelda oot
7.mario party 3
8.pokemon stadium 2
9.dkr
10.bomber man 2+1

hope most of these work at least the top ones

felonyr301
June 11th, 2007, 23:37
There's no question about it that majority of people would love to see both zelda 64 games to be running at good speed. We don't need a poll for that lol.

Yea that's true what happen to the sound improvement or something about ME being used somehow. I don't want to bother but I love his posts and how informative and professional it is and would love to see an update on that subject.

CaptainMorgan4
June 12th, 2007, 00:01
Guys in this topic if you didn't read it already, StrmnNrmn said perhaps for R13 he will poll for which title(s) he will work on for on the new build. So I figured since he told me this after a question I asked him, that I would take the liberty of setting up the poll for him. So could you guys give me some examples of what games you would like to see worked on, THAT DON'T CURRENTLY WORK 100% on R11/R12 (soon to be). I will make a poll, there will be 10 available choices, I figure whichever 10 games are the most popular asked for are the ones that will be put into the poll. Please don't ask for games that totally don't work as of know, only choose games that are semi-working and but have problems. Personally I choose that Diddy Kong Racing to be worked on, how about you?

SpacemanSpiff
June 12th, 2007, 00:53
Sorting out the crashing issues in OoT would definitely be #1 on my list.

CaptainMorgan4
June 12th, 2007, 01:02
He updated his blog if anyone wants to make a new topic.