PDA

View Full Version : Multitouch Stylus demo

wraggster
June 10th, 2007, 19:18
News/release from Felix123 (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13406&sid=fea1e972614d32ff1cd91fabd56b07dd)

This program can detect if there is one or two styli on the touch screen.

To use:
First, press hard on the touch screen using one stylus and push A once to calibrate the system. (You can also use up and down to manually calibrate it.)
Then try touching the screen with one or more styli.

This is probably a solution looking for a problem, can anyone think of a use for this code?

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

kcajblue
June 10th, 2007, 19:32
the last time i used two styluses on my ds it messed the calibration a lot.
i had nintendo exchange it.
i just told them that it had a dead pixel. hehe.

sabernet
June 10th, 2007, 22:29
Can't you recalibrate the stylus on the setup screen?

In any case, this is an excellent proof of concept. Touch screen are inherently incapable of multi-touch because the matrix inside them was never meant for it(try pressing more then 4-5 keys at the same time on your keyboard and tell me if they all register).

Multi-touch screens are very very very new tech and until recently(as with the iphone, etc...), have been based on lighting tricks with glass or cameras.

If this guy could juryrig a single poc touch screen to handle two pocs, that's damned cool(even though it's probably not reliable).

kcajblue
June 10th, 2007, 23:18
the ds calibration sucks.
its not reliable for recalibrating your ds at all.
i used a toothpick to try and calibrate it but it still was horribly uncalibrated.

tamper
June 11th, 2007, 08:36
Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but:

Does anyone else find that touch-screen accuracy varies from game to game? For example, I find Trauma Center almost unplayable due to selection inaccuracy, whereas the keyboard on the NDS Browser is spot-on accurate.

Buddy4point0
June 11th, 2007, 10:38
nope, my styalis is dead on all the time. i dont know what could be the problem.

on topic > i better not mess with this if it messed up kcaj

spinal_cord
June 11th, 2007, 11:36
I don't see the point in this demo. It seems to just remember the first stylus location and estimate the second one from the combined two touches. If you touch with two stylus at a time, the point is usually between the two.if you notice with this, you cant move the first stylus once the second one is down, not much use at all really.