PDA

View Full Version : Editorial: Why The Wii Is Not Meeting My Expectations

Triv1um
June 11th, 2007, 16:49
Via Rotpod (http://www.rotpod.net/rotpod/?p=487)

Every gamer knows that the Wii is the most popular console of this generation thus far. It has been sold out since launch and is still relatively hard to come by. But what is driving this console’s success? Its simplicity, for one thing, is making it popular among the public, as is its cheap price point. But is this widely successful console really the best one?

The Wii is the only console of its kind, unless you count those “ALL-IN-ONE sports games” or those “GREAT-VIDEO GAMES FOR CHEAP,” that you will likely see at Wal-Mart. The Wii’s motion sensitivity is a unique factor that draws people to the console. The ability to easily pick up and play the console fares well with gamers from the elderly to the very young. And after they play it once, everyone says to themselves, “It’s cheap and easy, so why don’t I get one?”

This attitude has contributed to the console’s immense success in the industry, and has sparked waves of imitators, from the PS3’s motion sensing to the 3rd party Xbox 360 version. But the things that make the Wii great for casual players, such as simplicity and motion sensitivity, may not fare as well for hardcore gamers. This is exemplified when Nintendo puts out games like WarioWare, Raving Rabbits, Excite Truck, and Zelda for the Wii. These games were all very popular for the system and have had immense success, most notably Zelda.

Although Twilight Princess did get great reviews, it was a departure from the standard Action-Adventure games that die hard gamers have come to play and love. At first this game too felt awesome to play, but after a while the game lost most of its novelty, and I was looking for shortcuts just to finish it. For me, this is the case for many of the games that I have played on the Wii. The games really do seem fun at first, but eventually they become dull and repetitive.

With the exception of mini-game collections like Raving Rabbits and Wario Ware, the groove that Wii games have been falling into may not be a problem for developers now, but as the console grows in age, it may. People who really play alot of video games may begin to realize that there is not that much innovation that can be done on the console, and could stop investing money into its games. Another factor that might drive some gamers away are the sub-par graphics that are standard for Wii titles, and the lack of HD output.

The Wii features a ‘Broadway’ processor and an ATI graphics card; these are roughly equivalent to a spot in between the Gamecube and the first Xbox. To say the least, this is not stunning, and could make a gamer start to think. The hardware capabilities (or lack thereof) are revealed in many games, a main example being Tiger Woods PGA Tour: 2007. The graphics in this game are down-right horrible and rumor has it that for the PAL version, they get even worse. Graphics this bad are unheard of in this generation, but can still be seen on the Wii. The idea that this console could never even come close to matching the graphical power of the 360 or the PS3 really turned me off as a gamer.

These bad graphics are again emphasized by the lack of any resolution above 480p. High-Definition is slowly becoming a new standard for gaming, and HDTVs are quickly becoming common objects in many households. Therefore, the lack of the HD on the Wii becomes more of an issue because one is unable to unlock the full-potential of his or her TV, while the Wii looks worse on this HDTV than it would on a normal display.

So far the Wii is plagued by gimmicky games, bad graphics, and lack of HD output. The Wii is also brought down by its uniqueness because game ports from developers are much harder to make comparable to the other platforms. Game developers can no longer simply port their games over to the console because of the changed control scheme and hardware. This, in turn, causes the Wii to miss out on major multi-platform titles.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the Wii when it came out; I beat Twilight Princess, downloaded VC games, voted on the Everybody Votes Channel, and created countless Miis. But, after spending a lot of time with my 360, I realized that it would be hard for me to have quite as much fun with the Wii. Therefore, in my eyes, the Wii has not met my expectations.

PS- Where is online play?

This Article Expresses the Opinions of it’s Author, Which do not Necessarily Represent Those of Rotpod.net or It’s Contributors

mcdougall57
June 11th, 2007, 17:27
from what ive heard the wii has a better graphics processor than the first xbox i mean look at mario galaxy or metroid prime corruption and i think mario galaxy features online play and mario strikers is out for ur online play needs. though the console going through a games drought at the moment i think it will shine through.
killed the ps3
only 3 more million units to catch up with microsoft

Balthasar00
June 11th, 2007, 17:55
Not far from xbox v1 but under it. Wii dosen't match xbox graphics ; Halo 1/2, Ninja gaiden, DOA etc.. HDTV sets are becoming cheaper and XBOX360/PS3 will deliver way better games in the near future. Wii should follow the DS sucess story. Fun games, original and tons of RPGs.

SSaxdude
June 11th, 2007, 18:22
I think after we get the good Wii games (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, SSBB) the Wii will get the recognition it deserves. The graphics aren't as good as Xbox, but I didn't buy it for the graphics.

silasrye
June 11th, 2007, 20:04
The Wii is the only console I have, and the only one I've ever bought new. Last night I felt like playing a video game, but there were none that I really wanted to play. :( The games I've really liked are Zelda, Trauma center, Godfather, and ssx blur, plus wii sports of course, I've got a rental pass, but just am not into anything else. I think the current line of games have had bad control schemes, lacked GOOD multiplayer, or not been easy enough to pickup that you can have fun playing with a friend who doesn't play regularly. When playing with friends, especially people new to the Wii, Wii sports is still the best game. As intuitive as its supposed to be, it takes some time to pickup. Even bowling takes 1 game to adjust to. I think that what I've said so far is becoming very evident, and we can expect better games to come, with better control. Full Tennis, Baseball, boxing (much improved controls), Pool, as well as a GOOD FPS multiplayer, and all online capable is when the fun is really going to kick in!

ikarodemon
June 11th, 2007, 20:38
The question is "WHY" when i play 360 games a see good graphics but i really prefer a PC game. But Nintendo games dont have mirrors in any other plataform. And yes Wii have better graphics then Xbox because the hardware is new and have more effects. See Smash Bros or Metroid 3.

-Xandu-
June 11th, 2007, 21:39
Well let me tell you something.

The Wii features a ‘Broadway’ processor and an ATI..

First of all, it's not all about graphics. You may get bored playing with an HD game, but have more fun playing on the Wii with some friends.

PS- Where is online play?

And where's online play for the PS3?...

But, after spending a lot of time with my 360..

You cannot judge a recently released console with one that's released over a year now. Every console must have sucked at first. Wait for the good games to be released. I remember when PS2, PSP games sucked at the launch date..

The games really do seem fun at first, but eventually they become dull and repetitive..

Everybody who owns Zelda loves it..

High-Definition is slowly becoming a new standard for gaming, and HDTVs are quickly becoming common objects in many households..

HDTV's won't be available widely in all homes until at least, 2 years later.

So far the Wii is plagued by gimmicky games, bad graphics, and lack of HD output.

The idea of gimmicking, you see, Nintendo comes up with new ideas, new games. Unlike other systems who have the same games, same old games but better graphics like all the EA Sports games and all the other FPS games. So what? I'd rather have fun with friends with a Wii other than playing a game on my own on PS3. What's more fun? Playing as if you're in the game? Or playing shiny graphics games? Let's say an FPS game, Red Steel. I've player Resistance : Fall of Man and other PS3 FPS games, and guess what? Red Steel is much more fun on the Wii. I agree, PS3 graphics are much more better but it's boring. Playing the same games all over again? No new ideas?

Game developers can no longer simply port their games over to the console because of the changed control scheme and hardware..

Which is better because if they do port it, the game will "suck" on the Wii, and will not differ much from all the other consoles.

Let me compare the "control schemes" for the games on the Wii, and the PS3.
Let's say, tennis. On Wii, you swing the controller as if it was the racket, on the other hand..,

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/virtuatennis3_sixaxis_02.png
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u120/SXandu/virtuatennis3_sixaxis_01.png

pennas
June 12th, 2007, 01:25
Everybody who owns Zelda loves it..

Sorry to contradict you, but not *quite* everybody :p

As you may have noticed, this is my first post. I've been lurking for a while, but this article really struck something of a chord with me!

I've had a Wii since launch. I got Zelda, Monkeyball and Wii Play with the console. I've still as of this day probably only played about 10 hours total on Zelda, it just never made me want to come back for more! (I've never played a Zelda game before, but got it because of all the hype I supppose!).

Monkeyball has been great as a party game, although i've never played more than an hour or 2 in Single player mode.

My two favourite Wii games so far have actually been Excite Truck and Rayman - both of these have kept me hooked in single player, as well as being fun in multiplayer. Excite just rocks as far as i'm concerned ;)

Actually, number 3 probably goes to Super Mario World which i've spent so long rediscovering on VC! (Never had a SNES, but spent many hours playing at friends all those years ago ;)

But to the point! for the first 2-3 months I played Wii every day, friends came over and it was great fun! But i've probably played on it 5 times in the last 2 months. I got frustrated with SSX and just couldn't get to grips with the control system, which is rather annoying since it actually looks incredibly sweet on Wii, and runs nicely!

I know it's been said before, but there is definately a lack of games out there. I'd buy Mario Galaxy, Trauma Centre, Smash Brothers, a "Proper" tennis game, a Wii Mario Kart!!, Mario/Sonic@Olympics, Paper Mario etc, etc right now if they were available!! (UK!!) But they are not. We've been seemingly flooded with movie tie-ins and ps2 ports. Another thing I would love - a cricket game, that would ROCK!

I reckon i've spent more time playing PES6 on PS2 than anything on Wii recently... I want some goods games for Wii! :cool:

ICE
June 12th, 2007, 01:57
you do realize the wii hasnt been out for very long right? if your already judging a system after 7 months then you might be a moron.

yeah bad graphics. LAZY DEVS. just everyone shut you mouths about the wii until the good games come out. i mean god you cant wait a few months until MP3 is out?

ICE
June 12th, 2007, 03:22
:D

Miyamoto :

Wii hardware is not far from GC.. (6 years old) Besicaly, the Wii is a GC boosted. Has a Devs, can you realy be that much Lazy ?

whats your point?

Balthasar00
June 12th, 2007, 03:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthasar00 View Post

Miyamoto :

Wii hardware is not far from GC.. (6 years old) Besicaly, the Wii is a GC boosted. Has a Devs, can you realy be that much Lazy ?
whats your point?

Simple, since they already have tools and knowlegde, they should be ready to give better looking games than that.

WAit, aren't you one of those budies who were complaining about cheap PS3 launch games like Resistance ?!
:D

well you sure learn from your mistakes.

Not far from xbox v1 but under it. Wii dosen't match xbox graphics ; Halo 1/2, Ninja gaiden, DOA etc.. HDTV sets are becoming cheaper and XBOX360/PS3 will deliver way better games in the near future. Wii should follow the DS sucess story. Fun games, original and tons of RPGs.

Ok I was wrong. Indeed, Wii is stronger than Xbox V1. Ubisoft staff said however in an interview for Red steel that some shadings effects on xbox couldn't be acheived (so far) on the Wii since Nvidia earn some of those and ATi don't.

I found this on Katoku wich explain preatty well the situation.

The gamecube had superior texturing capabilities even though it used what we would clasify as a non-standard shader engine, so my point is it's probably some trivial direct x shader function [or as I thought earlier that propriatary Nvidia fog method that was more costly on ATI chipsets at the time] that is easy to do on xbox, but a little harder on wii.

Sofox - the reason you hear Wii quoted as 'just above the XBox' is simply that the CPU runs at the same speed (733 MHz), while the GPU runs at a slightly faster speed (243 vs 233 MHz). However, both parts were completely different (Intel vs IBM; NVidia vs ATI) so they aren't comparable, something people tend to ignore.

Even though GC had a much slower CPU and GPU in terms of clock speed, it wasn't as much less powerful than XBox as that comparison would suggest (and some of the difference is due to its anaemic memory; Wii has, again, slightly more memory than XBox).

Direct comparisons between Wii and GC are possible. So yes, Wii really is 'GC 1.5' although in terms of memory it's 'GC 2 and a bit'. If you consider RE4 with the textures twice as detailed and 1.5 times as many polygons or effects etc, that should be about the limit for Wii. (Disc transfer speed is also a bit more than twice as fast, but in terms of streaming data during play, that's only proportional to the memory / potential texture size; so load times ought to be about the same as GC.)

I think memory was a significant limiting factor on GC (just a hunch based on crappy textures...) so really it might be closer to GCx2 than GCx1.5 in practical terms.

As for XBox? It's not comparable. For a hunch, though, if we're using these 'console multiplier' numbers, I'd suggest maybe XBox 1.3?

In the end, its not about graphics, it about feeling. Give me somes of thoses Japan exclusives rpgs like Dragon quest V remake wich haven't been released here in america.

I'll feel better this way.

ICE
June 12th, 2007, 03:54
ninty has been making good games and will continue to. 3rd party hasnt.

Balthasar00
June 12th, 2007, 04:21
ninty has been making good games and will continue to. 3rd party hasnt.

Thats the way things always goes when a new system come out. At least, SE upcoming FF on wii looks promising.

ICE
June 12th, 2007, 04:24
the wii is new and hot so 3rd party gets to make crap games that sell like oxygen in space. when that stops working(usually about a year) i will be happy.

EDIT: wii is like 1.5 x gamecube.

also i never said that resistance was cheaply made, just that its made on a system to complicated to make good graphics for yet. by good i mean better than 360 which is far a far weaker but less complicated system.

dont put words in my mouth.

RV2006
June 12th, 2007, 11:04
The thing you got to realise about the XBOX360 is that its been out alot longer than the wii, so the graphics you see now are awesome, but if you look at the launch titles for the 360 and some early 3rd party titles for the 360, you'll see that the graphics were not much better than the XBOX.

The wii is still early so not all games look great yet, (but the 2D games look great on my 42-inch TV like warioware, much like the great looking 2D games on my DS)
and the wiimote has not been fully explored yet, in terms of creative value, and even coding, (as some games have had very dodgy controls!), but give it time and it will start to churn out some great looking games, (for example the new smash bros game looks awesome, Mario has never looked more stylish!), and 3rd party developers will clean up their games a bit, (in terms of coding and design flaws), and hopefully the Indie coders will get into the scene as well, and make some awesome games too!

I can see a bright future in the Wii, but we gotta wade through the dark storm first!

I heart Nintendo
June 12th, 2007, 13:39
The guy is talking shit. Plain and simple. As for "Where is the online play?" He obviously hasn't heard of Mario Strikers Charged.

Ewan
June 12th, 2007, 14:41
The idea that this console could never even come close to matching the graphical power of the 360 or the PS3 really turned me off as a gamer.

So.. everyone should go out and get PC's then, since there is no way a 360 or PS3 could ever match the graphical power of the "newest" nVidia or ATI chipsets that are now available on the PC, right? I mean, HD is 1080p, most PC games are based in 1600x1200 at this point in time, so they are "beyond" HD!

Really, a "true" gamer wants good graphics, but they aren't the basis of a "good" game. A good game stands on it's own and brings something to the table. Many of the current Wii games are quick ports from either the GC or PSP, because many of the developers that aren't Nintendo did not develop *any* games for the Wii at start.

Give it another 6-9 months, and we'll see what happens. The PSP is more powerful, can do more, and is the "better" handheld, and which one is being completely and utterly dominated in the market?

At the pricepoint of the Wii, btw, they a) are making money with each console sold (can Microsoft or Sony claim that right now?) and b) many folks will not be upset in 2-4 years if something "new" comes out? Nintendo may be taking a shorter lifecycle to the box than Sony or Microsoft can "afford" to right now. If my memory serves me the GC was the last of the batch to be released (I believe it was Dreamcast, PS2, xBox, GC in ordering), and the Wii came out in a shorter "development cycle" than the others did.

If you are "truly hardcore", get the box you want. I'm sure there will be games for it. The third parties will be making games for the boxes that have the highest percentage of the market share, thus if only 10-20% of the people buy the game they have a chance of still making money. The "technological leader" has seldom won the generation (the N64 didn't - it had the "best graphics", the Saturn didn't - it had the most powerful processor, the TG16 didn't, etc), it's the one with best 3rd party support.

Time will be the true judge, but as Sega said back in 2001 - never count out Nintendo.

rabidchild
June 13th, 2007, 00:12
Why doesn't this guy just sell his Wii if he is so disappointed? Then in 5 or 10 years he can tell everyone how he was the first to realize how the Wii was only a gimmick. Just like Pac-Man was. (Terrible graphics, Pac-Man. For Shame!)

Accordion
June 13th, 2007, 00:32
Why doesn't this guy just sell his Wii if he is so disappointed? Then in 5 or 10 years he can tell everyone how he was the first to realize how the Wii was only a gimmick. Just like Pac-Man was. (Terrible graphics, Pac-Man. For Shame!)

because people want to believe nintendo can make it work... thats why i have kept mine, i havent played since december, but holding on to the slightest chance nintendo makes a good game. and gamecube, psp, ps2 ports wont do at all, and nor will overused franchises.

Basil Zero
June 13th, 2007, 01:43
And where's online play for the PS3?...

Its called PSN

mastersho
June 13th, 2007, 03:29
because people want to believe nintendo can make it work... thats why i have kept mine, i havent played since december, but holding on to the slightest chance nintendo makes a good game. and gamecube, psp, ps2 ports wont do at all, and nor will overused franchises.

wait and you shall be given the great games. when the holiday season starts the games will roll right out. NiGhtS isn't too far away and SSBB will be out in October(i think).

shiftybill
June 13th, 2007, 07:02
if SSBB isnt online it will be a bad move on Nintendo's part and will make me think twice, BUT

Metroid is gonna rock so hard!! as will mario galaxy, mario kart anyone?

oh yeah wii music is gonna be some fun