PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Further PSP Slim Details

Shrygue
June 12th, 2007, 19:40
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/further-psp-slim-details-268058.php)

Over at game blog Rumor Reporter, they're floating more details on the rumbled PSP slim. According to the site, the updated PSP won't have big speed increases and will be outfitted with a slot UMD loader. Screen-wise, the site states that its the same size and is "Sidekick-esque." That would give the portable a "flip-factor" and decrease the system's overall size. Underneath the screen, there's a "Home" button—just like there is now. There are also all new controls for UMD movie chapter and music skipping.

Hardware-wise, it's still the same writes the same. Battery-life will be improved, but Rumor Reporter says the screen isn't LED, but still LCD. What's more, Sony is considering Bluetooth capabilities for the PSP slim, but is only providing 4GB of on-board memory — though Rumor Reporter does mention that could change. Sony, the site reports, is still deliberating, but apparently the PlayStation Portable name won't change, and this new PSP would eventually replace all existing models. Pricing is "currently the same," and the release date is Fall 07.

True? Rumor Reporter's GDC predictions were way off, but the site did break news on Warhawk's troubles. We spoke with our insiders today, who confirmed the slot loading and pointed out that Bluetooth was an obvious PlayStation inclusion. What about the "Sidekick-esque" design and the LCD screen? My take: Sony wants to compete with the DS Lite (in Japan, esp.) and is going to release a competitively priced product that doesn't veer too far from the familiar PSP. Only E3 will tell us whether any of these rumors and these insiders are right or completely wrong. Can't wait.

Leave your thoughts on this via comments.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 12th, 2007, 19:46
Getting bored of this P$P slim stuff now....

dylandangles
June 12th, 2007, 19:47
That site doesn't look like a very reliable news source at all. I have a feeling they are making up these rumors in an attempt to gain more traffic for their mediocre site.

Once again, I call BS.

Buddy4point0
June 12th, 2007, 20:06
well as soon as it is cracked i will def buy one

DarthPaul
June 12th, 2007, 20:09
Getting bored of this P$P slim stuff now....

Same here.

nielsss
June 12th, 2007, 20:12
if this is true ill get one even if it hasnt got any homebrew capabiblities

yoshinatsu
June 12th, 2007, 20:43
Pricing is "currently the same"
Is that supposed to mean $170?:rolleyes:
I don't think so. Sony is no Nintendo.

-Xandu-
June 12th, 2007, 20:53
Why buy a new one? It's still a PSP.

I remember when PS2 slimline came out, I never thought of buying one to replace my original PS2.

IamAbe
June 12th, 2007, 21:33
Why buy a new one? It's still a PSP.

I remember when PS2 slimline came out, I never thought of buying one to replace my original PS2.

thats very different. the slimline ps2 was a cut-down version of the original ps2, there were no new features other than built in ethernet. in fact, it lacked hdd support. if the new psp has a built in 8gig flash drive and bluetooth theres a good chance i'll get one. as for the size, i dont care how big somthing sitting on my desk is, but the psp barely fits in my pocket. i would really like if they made it more 'portable'.

depending on how this ends up, theres a good chance i'll consider getting one.

EmO.KiD
June 12th, 2007, 22:10
Ok... well if its tru ... psp has screwed us yett again folks... the price has 2 b at least 300-400... no homebrew capabilities... the buttuns will probbibly be way wose then the origional line of psps and the battery will probibly be smaller... meaning less power... it took them a full year to make a battery pack with 2x power... also... they wuld never give people 4 gigs of memory... its sony... u buy a system off them u wont get a demo game which is cheeper then memory... also psp starts 2 heat up after half an hour of game play..... if u have a ps2 slimline u know... u cant play as long as u can on a regular ps2 because it heats up much more quickly this can cause internal melting.... i think sony has once again dug a hole 2 deep... and this time... i think they just might realize it...

Airdevil
June 12th, 2007, 23:14
Ok... well if its tru ... psp has screwed us yett again folks... the price has 2 b at least 300-400... no homebrew capabilities... the buttuns will probbibly be way wose then the origional line of psps and the battery will probibly be smaller... meaning less power... it took them a full year to make a battery pack with 2x power... also... they wuld never give people 4 gigs of memory... its sony... u buy a system off them u wont get a demo game which is cheeper then memory... also psp starts 2 heat up after half an hour of game play..... if u have a ps2 slimline u know... u cant play as long as u can on a regular ps2 because it heats up much more quickly this can cause internal melting.... i think sony has once again dug a hole 2 deep... and this time... i think they just might realize it...

lol lets play guess the amount of dots in the post!

lol anyway, im calling BS because sony had confirmed that they werent working on a remake like 2 weeks ago. Also a lot of those things like the 8gb onboard memory suddenly changing to 4 gbs?.

I mean come on.... sony will not make a portable system where its user accessed memory is free. Unless you count walkman mp3 players. The memory sticks and the likes are an extra source of income, they wont lower their revenue sources, they will only change or increase the the sources to increase the revenue created.

Sony are profit hungry. Nothing will change that.

Basil Zero
June 13th, 2007, 00:54
That site doesn't look like a very reliable news source at all. I have a feeling they are making up these rumors in an attempt to gain more traffic for their mediocre site.

Once again, I call BS.

Even if it is false, I'm still going to post it in my news forum:thumbup:

cashboxz02
June 13th, 2007, 02:36
$170??????????

i thought that's the price of the memory stick itself. there is nooooooo way the slim psp will be dat much.

hd_
June 13th, 2007, 05:01
This new rumor sounds like more bullshit than the original one- it doesn't even make sense to consider changing the name from PSP other than some extension like 'slim'- since it is only a revised version..

New buttons for music/video skipping? Bullshit, that is lame and pointless- you already have perfectly good shoulder buttons for that, and a whole bunch of other button aswell.

It seems like a lame attempt to sound official by squashing the last rumor. It really just sounds like a child wrote it. (and I am not saying I believed the first one, but it did at least sound like it was written by someone with more than half a brain).

F9zDark
June 13th, 2007, 05:29
Yeah I am sorry, but having 2 conflicting rumors just disproves both. At least the prior one made some sense (LED screen because LCD is too bulky... Then again, I don't know if an LED screen is even possible...)

8gb of flash memory in the last one became 4? Come on. While Sony would want to maximize profits, 4gb is not enough if we cannot supplement it with our already bought memory sticks. Granted 8gb isn't all that much either, but its better than 4gb.

New buttons? Flip options? Haha sounds more like a phone and Sony just squashed that rumor...

ab88
June 13th, 2007, 09:41
Okey. thanks for your input emokid, you may leave for school now. There you will hopefully find someone to teach you this something very special called "grammar".

On topic: Sounds like bull. Then again I would not buy it because I already have one. Also I would tell my friends to not buy one (They like my PSP because the see me running emulators and WIFI applications, which are all homebrew).

onetwentyeight
June 13th, 2007, 10:55
the possible inclusion of bluetooth would offer a ton of possibilities over the current unused infrared port (homebrew apps for bt keyboard instead of ir? or an earpiece for supposed phone capabilites?). as for an led vs. lcd screen, i just want something without "red-shift" during video playback. was "the incredibles" ever released on umd? that would be a blast to watch (wonder how good of a job xvid4psp can do to correct that issue).

hd_
June 13th, 2007, 13:27
It would be nice to get a screen that is visible in the sun light- the current one makes the psp not so portable :S

thefanaticgamer
June 13th, 2007, 20:58
why would sony includean internal memory??? that only seems to support homebrew which they definately dont want to do

thefanaticgamer
June 13th, 2007, 21:08
why would sony includean internal memory??? that only seems to support homebrew which they definately dont want to do

EmO.KiD
June 14th, 2007, 14:43
i didnt know i was beeing graded like on a test for christ sake... i know im not the best at grammer but i try to pass a point...