PDA

View Full Version : Sony threatens to pursue legal action against PS3 hackers

wraggster
June 13th, 2007, 06:46
Following reports that hackers have cracked PlayStation 3's anti-piracy software, SCEA has declared that it will "aggressively pursue" anyone caught engaging in such activity with legal action.

"Unfortunately, hackers will try to exploit any hardware system software," SCEA spokesperson Dave Karraker told GamesIndustry.biz.

"The best we can do as a company is to make our security that much stronger and aggressively pursue legal action against anyone caught trying to use an exploit in an illegal manner."

As reported by CVG.com, hackers have cracked PS3 firmware versions 1.10 and 1.11 - thereby forcing the console to boot illegal copies of games.

Booting games and playing them are two different things, however; so far, hackers have not been able to get any of the copied games to run, nor have they been able to run homebrew software.

Every hardware launch brings with it a race for hackers to defeat the system's protections, whether for the technological challenge, to run copied software, or to allow for homebrew games.

Despite Sony's attempts to prevent its emergence, the PSP has a strong homebrew community - and hackers are doubtless hoping to establish a similar base for PS3.

If legal consequences are not a deterrent, there are other risks involved. Like Microsoft, which has banned some modded Xbox 360 consoles from Xbox LIVE, Sony could easily stop PS3 units from accessing the PlayStation network. Hackers also risk bricking their consoles.

"Naturally, any use of an exploit on the system software does void the warranty on the PS3 system... Which could be a costly mistake to see if you can run an old SEGA CD game on it," said Karraker.

via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25750)

Basil Zero
June 13th, 2007, 08:16
Running PS3 games that are copied bad

running old generation system games = good :)

but legal action, like i said in another topic, alls they have to do is lock PSN for those PS3s.

and btw, one must have no life to try to get a 15-20 gigabyte file.

pibs
June 13th, 2007, 08:26
Its not like everyone has a blu-ray burner on their pc to just start making copies, so i doubt this will get any further. and like Basil said only a loser would spent so much time downloading those high gig games.

cartmandude14
June 13th, 2007, 16:30
sony is gonna spend more money by taking action and trying to stop these hackers than they would lose through piracy

Destroyer699
June 13th, 2007, 16:30
I don't think voiding my warrenty would be a bad thing if I could run an old Sega CD.
I would exchange homebrew for warrenty any day.

Triv1um
June 13th, 2007, 16:41
I don't think voiding my warrenty would be a bad thing if I could run an old Sega CD.

Yes, i would happily void mine for homebrew.

There is nothing saying that all new ways are going to be through dis-mantling the console. It could work similar to the PSP.

mcdougall57
June 13th, 2007, 16:49
sony sound scared

im sure someone with a blue-ray burner will bring copies to a car boot sale nearby

splodger15
June 13th, 2007, 18:29
This wont stop nothing at all.

One hacker falls another takes his place.

All you who say that if you download a large file your a loser.

Ever thought that you can get them off friends who have the pirated game on a disk.

So no downloading there then.

Basil Zero
June 13th, 2007, 19:33
Blu-Ray copies...how sad seriously...

Sonicboy 101
June 13th, 2007, 19:38

Yeah, I would if I had one. :D

jonezybaby
June 13th, 2007, 20:32
Its not like everyone has a blu-ray burner on their pc to just start making copies, so i doubt this will get any further. and like Basil said only a loser would spent so much time downloading those high gig games.

thats wat broadband is for!! u leave the computer and internet on alday whilst ur at work!! haha! but seriously how much are blu-ray burners these days?

splodger15
June 13th, 2007, 20:54
Blu-Ray copies...how sad seriously...

Because you are aggainst piracy. I know piracy goes on and some of my mates do it I just dont care if its cheaper then what stores are selling games for then most people do it

If I had a PS3 I am not going to spend £50 on a game when I can get a copy from someone and keep it

I would rather spend the £50 on something else then just one game

jdnation
June 13th, 2007, 23:21
Given the cost of Blu-Ray burners and the cost of discs at this point... it's most likely cheaper to just buy the game in stores... :P

F9zDark
June 13th, 2007, 23:26
Piracy should be shot down no matter what it takes. Piracy is a big thing anywhere, but China LIVES off it. Take the largest nation in the world, with the largest population and consider that 99% of them don't buy the games, movies and music they play, you have got a serious problem when it comes to running a business.

I hope the pirates are taken to court and shot the **** down. Homebrew is one thing, but piracy is wholly another.

And to those saying they would rather pirate a game than buy one, I say, get a ****ing job. Don't want to pay for the games, then don't buy the system. Plain and simple.

splodger15
June 14th, 2007, 08:59
I have better things to spend £50 when I could just get it for free.

Most people on this website pirate games not all.

Drop the prices of the PS3 games then yeh people would consider buying but in this moment in time I would be pirating them.

You cannot take every pirate to court you will be taking like nearly everyone in china.

Most people who dont pirate are usually the people who dont want to or because there shit scared the feds will come knocking on your door one morning.

WTF has getting a job got to do with this please tell me if I want to go out one day and buy a games console I will I dont take orders I what I buy and dont buy. I will buy the PS3 and probaly 1 game with it but with the prices at they are at the moment there are plenty of different places you could get them from with atleast 3/4 of the price knocked off. Or you could get them free

mcdougall57
June 14th, 2007, 09:44

i agree it may be a legit emulation site but its not like everybody backs up every rom they use to emulate a snes or n64.

mastersho
June 14th, 2007, 09:56
not me im a dirty pirate!! Ar!! im gonna plunder your booty!!! yer booty and ps3 rips,ar!!!!!!!!

splodger15
June 14th, 2007, 10:21
FFS keep the thread on topic and stop building up post count.

the_eternal_dark
June 14th, 2007, 13:11
Emulators, Linux, open source.... Will Sony prosecute when (if) it is possible to run emus through Linux?

mastersho
June 14th, 2007, 13:12
ok then. but the fact of downloading a 15 gig files does kinda put of wanting to make a copy of then.

Sonicboy 101
June 14th, 2007, 15:19
I would rather spend the £50 on something else then just one game

Exactly.
Why spend so much for 1 game when you could just get it for free anyway.

splodger15
June 14th, 2007, 16:34
^ ^
Thank you for backing my point up Sonicboy 101

If the game is £50 and you had the choice to get them game free I know what I would go for. I am going to get them game for free

F9zDark
June 14th, 2007, 17:51
I have better things to spend £50 when I could just get it for free.

Drop the prices of the PS3 games then yeh people would consider buying but in this moment in time I would be pirating them.

You cannot take every pirate to court you will be taking like nearly everyone in china.

Most people who dont pirate are usually the people who dont want to or because there shit scared the feds will come knocking on your door one morning.

WTF has getting a job got to do with this please tell me if I want to go out one day and buy a games console I will I dont take orders I what I buy and dont buy. I will buy the PS3 and probaly 1 game with it but with the prices at they are at the moment there are plenty of different places you could get them from with atleast 3/4 of the price knocked off. Or you could get them free

And how are the PS3's game prices any worse off than the 360? At least with PS3 games the cost is justified in the fact that they are Blu-Ray discs, gotta pay the same price for a 360 game that comes on a DVD...

I have much better things to spend my hard earned money on too, but I don't resort to piracy. If I truly don't want a game I don't buy it.

Like I said, if you have no intention for paying the games you want to play, then don't buy the console. Get a Wii and enjoy playing a system and games that you can afford.

My point about getting a job has much relevance to this topic. As more than 90% of pirates who complain about the price of games, do so because they are poor or don't work. Yet can use mommy bought broadband to get games freely.

You people disgust me.

splodger15
June 14th, 2007, 18:16
I am not poor nor is my family.

The post above:

with the comment play games I can afford.

You dont know whether I am poor or rich so why try to put across I am poor.

If I want to buy a PS3 and the games are still £50 Im gonna pirate like a little less then half the world does anyway.

Drop prices on games then it becomes a whole different matter

F9zDark
June 14th, 2007, 22:04
I said the things about being poor because it seemed so because you complained about the price.

As far as I am concerned price is a lame excuse to pirate games. But considering that £50 is equivalent to $98, I'd be pissed too and probably wouldn't want to buy games either.

But since the PS3 is region free, you can buy games online that come from the US for £30 (or $60). The only issues games from NTSC territories have in PAL territories (is UK a PAL territory?) are the NTSC HD resolutions being incompatible with PAL HDTVs.

Solidsnake3000
June 15th, 2007, 00:51
^ the part about u calling people poor or bringing up poor makes me think u are the poor one and plus people dont have to be poor topirate games i mean think about it its a damn game losers play games all their life's and one day the game becomes cheap and u think bak did i actually buy this game but anyways back to the point some people have money just to get by and still buy games some are rich and still pirate games iam not gonna lie i buy games and pirate the games that i really like i buy them just to have them games i wana try i pare i mean think about some games are just to much for u to pay once then never play it again wat iam really trying to say is just leave it be

man thats bs to all who says piracy is bad andi would never do that do u guys for once think y a person doea that its because the price is outrageous and they are broke i mean i feel were sony is comming from trying to stop this but man give it a break just find them and do watever and if that cant stop try harder like they do on psp by putting more security on it not by tring to get the people and not that many people can afford a ps3 so start now

mastersho
June 15th, 2007, 01:00
well this wouldbt happen so much if sony was proactive not reactive. if they but money into stop hackers and not the blue ray then would have this problem. same with the psp sony brings it upon themself and i dont feel pity for them at all.

Solidsnake3000
June 15th, 2007, 01:06
well this wouldbt happen so much if sony was proactive not reactive. if they but money into stop hackers and not the blue ray then would have this problem. same with the psp sony brings it upon themself and i dont feel pity for them at all.

me either

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 01:56
guys, this is a corrupted world, ok?
legal actions are gonna take, big deal, mostly everyone pirate, from internet, from a friend, even in a game store itself.... it cannot be stopped, period...
homebrew is another thing......

mastersho
June 15th, 2007, 02:45
yea homebrew is clean and legal but sony puts both of them in the same boat. they fear homebrew just as much as piracy.

the_eternal_dark
June 15th, 2007, 03:53
yea homebrew is clean and legal but sony puts both of them in the same boat. they fear homebrew just as much as piracy.

Because in the case of Sony, many homebrew titles are better than the "official" ones.

Piracy is, hmmm, not as bad as everyone says it is. Look at how many suckers buy Windows products.

Microshaft and Blome are huge corporations. They lose more money on security than they do to piracy. I mean, does anyone's mother know that you can get any kind of software for free if you look hard enough? Highly doubt it.

mastersho
June 15th, 2007, 03:56
yes that is true. but some places are pretty seedy.....

F9zDark
June 15th, 2007, 05:59
^ the part about u calling people poor or bringing up poor makes me think u are the poor one and plus people dont have to be poor topirate games i mean think about it its a damn game losers play games all their life's and one day the game becomes cheap and u think bak did i actually buy this game but anyways back to the point some people have money just to get by and still buy games some are rich and still pirate games iam not gonna lie i buy games and pirate the games that i really like i buy them just to have them games i wana try i pare i mean think about some games are just to much for u to pay once then never play it again wat iam really trying to say is just leave it be

man thats bs to all who says piracy is bad andi would never do that do u guys for once think y a person doea that its because the price is outrageous and they are broke i mean i feel were sony is comming from trying to stop this but man give it a break just find them and do watever and if that cant stop try harder like they do on psp by putting more security on it not by tring to get the people and not that many people can afford a ps3 so start now

Haha, a person whose speech is barely legible and reeks of ghetto talk calling me poor? Look in the mirror buddy...

If you actually read my last post (assuming that you can read; your grammar and spelling seem to indicate that you cannot) you would have seen that I saw the error of my ways.

In fact, my error was not knowing how many $ there are to the £. Had the individual lived in the US where games are only 60 dollars, maybe my (wrongful) assumption of his monetary wellbeing would have been more accurate. But having to pay 100 dollars for a game is ridiculous, no matter where one lives.

Solidsnake3000
June 15th, 2007, 08:15
Haha, a person whose speech is barely legible and reeks of ghetto talk calling me poor? Look in the mirror buddy...

If you actually read my last post (assuming that you can read; your grammar and spelling seem to indicate that you cannot) you would have seen that I saw the error of my ways.

In fact, my error was not knowing how many $ there are to the £. Had the individual lived in the US where games are only 60 dollars, maybe my (wrongful) assumption of his monetary wellbeing would have been more accurate. But having to pay 100 dollars for a game is ridiculous, no matter where one lives.

omg r u that dumb so u think iam gonna waste my time typing a whole word wheni can shorten it lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 08:53
Basically until Sony can knock about £20 of there £50 games people would buy them more and now the console has been exploited it is the best time for a price drop as people would buy the games instead of pirating them.

The Blu Ray DVD's here in the uk are not as expensive as the games. £18 for Kung Fu Hustle thats about the same price as a normal new DVD released here.

mastersho
June 15th, 2007, 16:45
yeah dont flame here, just keep on topic guys. buy yeah sploder15 has a great idea there.

F9zDark
June 16th, 2007, 02:16
omg r u that dumb so u think iam gonna waste my time typing a whole word wheni can shorten it lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Using proper language is more a measure of one's intelligence than using a 'short cut'. Really, try speaking in abbreviated speech and see just how people treat you; most assuredly worse than I have of you.

Chatting and Texting are the only venues where abbreviated speech apply. Why? Because quickly getting a message said is more important than the actual words themselves. On a forum, which is a far more relaxed environment as far as timing is concerned, posts should follow even BASIC English rules.

Would you write a paper for school using shorthand? No. So don't do it on a forum. Until you comply, I will think of you forevermore as an idiot.

To Splodger:

Thats truly sad that BR movies are priced so much less than games are. I haven't purchased any BR movies yet, but a quick perusal on BestBuy.com reveals that movies are in between 24-30 USD (which if I recall is about 12-15 Pounds).

But I do agree with you now, knowing the exchange rate, that 50 Pounds is a ridiculous price to pay for a game. However, for argument's sake, how much money on average would you earn from working in a grocery/retail store?

Here its about 8 USD an hour, so a game here at 60 USD is roughly a day and a half of work.

mcdougall57
June 18th, 2007, 22:10
Basically until Sony can knock about £20 of there £50 games people would buy them more and now the console has been exploited it is the best time for a price drop as people would buy the games instead of pirating them.

i guess before they can start lowering the prices they need to lower the costs of actually making a next gen game.blue ray discs themselves do not actually cost that much more to manufacure because the process that makes them is the same as any disk, it is pressed

Shadowblind
June 19th, 2007, 01:15
MS doesn't sue the hackers for 360, they just ban them from Live.

Sony should take upon the example.

Because in the case of Sony, many homebrew titles are better than the "official" ones.

Piracy is, hmmm, not as bad as everyone says it is. Look at how many suckers buy Windows products.

Microshaft and Blome are huge corporations. They lose more money on security than they do to piracy. I mean, does anyone's mother know that you can get any kind of software for free if you look hard enough? Highly doubt it.

Sadly true.