PDA

View Full Version : large map problems: copying time - any help?

Leake
June 13th, 2007, 08:24
Hi all,

can anyone suggest a quicker way to copy large maps onto the mem card? It took me about 24-30 hours to download a large Google map area for NSW in Aus, but it looked like it was going to take over a week to copy it onto the mem stick because of the hundreds of thousands of PNG files (it does one at a time).

Deniska, would it be possible to have MapThis! read a map file if it's zipped? Copying one large file is ALOT quicker than so many smaller files.

Keep up the good work, great little program.

MIB.42
June 13th, 2007, 09:22
Hi all,

can anyone suggest a quicker way to copy large maps onto the mem card? It took me about 24-30 hours to download a large Google map area for NSW in Aus, but it looked like it was going to take over a week to copy it onto the mem stick because of the hundreds of thousands of PNG files (it does one at a time).

Deniska, would it be possible to have MapThis! read a map file if it's zipped? Copying one large file is ALOT quicker than so many smaller files.

Keep up the good work, great little program.

I think you'd need to convert to GPSFS...

I assume you use in7ane's GMDL program? That can create GPSFS files which than can be read by MapThis!

Leake
June 13th, 2007, 19:35
Yeah, and I have the GPSFS files but also the folders 1x, 2x, 4x, etc, which have hundreds of thousands of PNG files in them. Do they not need to be copied over?

deniska
June 13th, 2007, 20:45
you can remove those

MIB.42
June 15th, 2007, 07:05
Yeah, and I have the GPSFS files but also the folders 1x, 2x, 4x, etc, which have hundreds of thousands of PNG files in them. Do they not need to be copied over?

As deniska also wrote, you only need the GPSFS[1234] files and the .png's, and not the directories with the 1x 2x 4x etc...

Leake
June 15th, 2007, 07:10
Oh wow, I had no idea they weren't required. I must have missed that somewhere along the way.

That just makes MapThis! even more useful than it is anyway!

Cheers guys.

FatesWebb
June 18th, 2007, 14:10
Yeah, it sounds like you dont have the latest version of the map downloader.

Leake
June 18th, 2007, 22:04
Oh, I'll check. Cheers.