PDA

View Full Version : Is there any new news on PSP Linux?

the_eternal_dark
June 13th, 2007, 09:36
I have yet to hear any further developments of Linux on the PSP in a good long while. Are there any further developments?

parkermauney
June 14th, 2007, 01:59
I think it was dropped. Wouldn't be very useful, most linux apps/games are open source, and can be ported more efficiently.

the_eternal_dark
June 14th, 2007, 11:49
True, but the fact is that it was a brilliant idea to make a PSP version of Linux. Why should the PS2, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, GP2X, and PS3 (and Dreamcast at one time) have Linux and the PSP not?

dangee
June 14th, 2007, 13:36
can SUM1 bring me up2 date on the
best s/ware that could run on a PSPLinux

the_eternal_dark
June 15th, 2007, 08:59
A faster web browser maybe? More audio/video playback support? WEP/WPA cracking software? Wine? Gaim? The ability to stream media to and from the PSP with WiFi more efficiently without the pimpstreamer or other streaming applications, enabling you to do other processes as well? Apache (lol, very unlikely)?

I'd like to see the PSP be used as a PC (or close to a PC). A firmware replacement rather than loading completely via the memory stick would be most ideal, but hey, I'll take what I can get (but not on the bochs emu, too slow and not very pretty).

There's a bunch of things I could use it for personally....

dangee
June 15th, 2007, 20:00
the cracker alone would make a working PSPLinux v. popular..

parkermauney
June 15th, 2007, 20:10
WEP/WPA cracking software?Good luck with that.

A firmware replacement rather than loading completely via the memory stick would be most ideal.Great for UP.

The only problem would be getting up a working windows system and display manager/desktop environment. (Lack of RAM/Processor speed). Everything would have to be command line based, and be very hard to get about. One of the only ways you could get around is writing a portal for the shell.

the_eternal_dark
June 16th, 2007, 06:38
Good luck with that.

Great for UP.

The only problem would be getting up a working windows system and display manager/desktop environment. (Lack of RAM/Processor speed). Everything would have to be command line based, and be very hard to get about. One of the only ways you could get around is writing a portal for the shell.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about something pretty, just usable. As for the WPA/WEP locker, I don't think it would be that hard to come up with a command line based cracker/scanner.

Also, would there be a way to use part of the memory stick in place of the ram? Such as a specialized formatter/loader or something? The processor isn't really a hindrance.

F9zDark
June 16th, 2007, 18:40
I'd like to see Linux on the PSP, but I don't think its going to happen. Its been 'in the works' since nearly the dawn of the PSP homebrew scene and yet its still not out...

dangee
June 16th, 2007, 21:48
so how feasible would it B to port the cracker without linux?

Tesseract
June 16th, 2007, 23:35
I remember playing around with QNX long ago. The Kernel, Network/Modem drivers and Web browser fit on a friggin' floppy disc.

If it's still around, this might be the best starting point as it was built to run with low overhead in web appliances and such.

parkermauney
June 17th, 2007, 00:49
Yeah, I wasn't talking about something pretty, just usable. As for the WPA/WEP locker, I don't think it would be that hard to come up with a command line based cracker/scanner.

Also, would there be a way to use part of the memory stick in place of the ram? Such as a specialized formatter/loader or something? The processor isn't really a hindrance.

Well as for a wep cracker, http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24244/98/

Here is a list of required hardware:
Wireless Access Point - This will be the "target" access point and can be any brand. We used a Netgear WGT624 v2
A laptop or computer with wireless capability - This will be the "target" computer and it doesn't matter which wireless chipset or card the computer uses. Our lab had a surplus Dell laptop with built-in wireless that worked just fine
Two 802.11b PC Cards based on the PRISM 2 chipset - Some of the programs (such as Kismet) we use in this series can support a wide variety of wireless cards. But we suggest you stick to using cards based on the PRISM 2 chipset, which are supported by all the programs we will use.It's pretty complex stuff.
The only way really would be to force it. (Try every possible combination) Which would be a pretty long proccess to load.

And using the hard drive (memstick in this case)as ram is known as "swap" in linux, a partition of a drive meant to be used as ram. (Pagefile for windows)

Cloudhunter
June 17th, 2007, 01:05
uclinux on the PSP (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=7426&start=0)

Not really usable at moment.

Cloudy

mexicansnake
June 17th, 2007, 02:24
Well it seems that some users here what to have a portable wep cracker...

Right now the psp cant do that. but you can...

choices:
1- Get a vega umpc
2- Get a sony vaio ux

then go here:
http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

choose an usb with prism 2.5 chipset and the wlanng driver based on linux. then buy it...

Install backtrack 2 or any other linux security distro.

Learn how to use it. And then you got it!:D.

But in fact a psp linux oss would be awesome!.

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 04:36
I remember playing around with QNX long ago. The Kernel, Network/Modem drivers and Web browser fit on a friggin' floppy disc.

If it's still around, this might be the best starting point as it was built to run with low overhead in web appliances and such.

http://www.qnx.com/

Are you talking about this?

Thanks Parker, I've used that walkthrough before. I'm looking to be able to do it all from the PSP.

Tesseract
June 17th, 2007, 09:54
Yup. That'd be it. It doesn't appear to be open-source, unfortunately, but the Idea is sound.

Instead of having a 'monolithic' kernel, you just have a basic kernel that handles the barest necessities. Then you build from there. Who knows... Maybe they'd even provide pointers for a port...

Cloudhunter
June 17th, 2007, 10:48
A port already exists of uclinux. Check the link I gave ;)

It's the most that is gonna happen any time soon.

Cloudy

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 11:33
A port already exists of uclinux. Check the link I gave ;)

It's the most that is gonna happen any time soon.

Cloudy

Yeah, I've seen that but it is sooooo limited at the moment.

But, what about something like Damn Small Linux (even via a PC emulator)? Very very small...

*edit*- check this out here....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux

DSL has been demonstrated browsing the web with Dillo, playing games and music on systems with a 486 processor and 16Mb RAM.

I realize that this is not for the MIPS processor family though...

Cloudhunter
June 17th, 2007, 12:45
That isn't even the problem. The size isn't the problem. The problem is the PSP has no MMU. However, uclinux is the only thing that will work on the PSP. No other distribution can be ported.

You will just have to wait for that to improve.

Cloudy

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 14:43
That isn't even the problem. The size isn't the problem. The problem is the PSP has no MMU. However, uclinux is the only thing that will work on the PSP. No other distribution can be ported.

You will just have to wait for that to improve.

Cloudy

Damn, I didn't even think about that....

acn010
June 17th, 2007, 14:54
to be honest, i want linux to ba on the psp, since basically is another OS app that is compatible even for a simple ipod... damn, i want it on the psp now *sigh*

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 15:44
to be honest, i want linux to ba on the psp, since basically is another OS app that is compatible even for a simple ipod... damn, i want it on the psp now *sigh*

That was one major reason. I have an iPod Nano with Linux, :( . The DS has it too... Bochs just doesn't do it for me and uclinux is not really usable yet.

parkermauney
June 17th, 2007, 16:57
I once installed linux on my 5g ipod, it screwed up so bad, all I could do is look at the demos, it wouldn't play music or videos at all. Rockbox didn't play videos, I found out the hard way.

acn010
June 17th, 2007, 17:08
same happened to me, i had no idea on how on use it... oh well..

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 18:12
Rockbox didn't play videos, I found out the hard way.

It does now.

parkermauney
June 17th, 2007, 21:42
Sweet. I might actually get it again, does it play other formats beside mp4?

the_eternal_dark
June 20th, 2007, 05:44
I think it is a custom format specifically to load in rockbox. Check rockbox.org for the converter. It worked on my 1st gen Nano.