PDA

View Full Version : No fixes in Tokyo

neil_rix
June 13th, 2007, 18:57
I'm getting no fixes in Tokyo. Running v.3.40 OE-A using a GPS 290. Any ideas/suggestions?

deniska
June 13th, 2007, 20:56
I'm getting no fixes in Tokyo. Running v.3.40 OE-A using a GPS 290. Any ideas/suggestions?
Can you post more info, like if whether you get gps clock running, etc...?

neil_rix
June 14th, 2007, 03:01
my cpu clock is set to 111 mhz, loc is set to 2. GPS state: on. for some reason the date and time are wrong (not sure if that's at all significant). not sure which usbgps or usbacc I'm using, but i downloaded at setup from a forum from this link

http://rapidshare.com/files/32177069/3.40oe_and_psp-290.rar.html

that is supposed to work with the 3.40 oea.
Tried for about half an hour and couldn't get a single satellite. What is GPS clock?

MIB.42
June 15th, 2007, 07:09
my cpu clock is set to 111 mhz, loc is set to 2. GPS state: on. for some reason the date and time are wrong (not sure if that's at all significant). not sure which usbgps or usbacc I'm using, but i downloaded at setup from a forum from this link

http://rapidshare.com/files/32177069/3.40oe_and_psp-290.rar.html

that is supposed to work with the 3.40 oea.
Tried for about half an hour and couldn't get a single satellite. What is GPS clock?

Tokyo is notoriously bad for signal reception. My
Holux240 had really, really hard time acquiring a lock. Even at the 40th floors...
This is why the next official Map application for the PSP uses WiFi signal locations to "enhance" reception...
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/blog/index.php/2006/11/14/gps-on-your-psp-lol/

BarfHappy
June 16th, 2007, 07:25
Odd, i had next to no problems in Nagoya and it s the 3rd city in Japan (iirc).

In my former place near the shakujii kouhen station (Nerima, near tokyo) i had little problem as well, even when going to tokyo.

But that was with the In Car GPS...

Damn i hated the GPS voice... the girl from the trains and subways, buses and now your own car !! >.<

I still have nightmares "mamonaku, niban sen no ressha ga mairimasu. abunai desu kara kuroi sen no uchigawa made osagari kudasai"
never go to japan, never

MIB.42
June 16th, 2007, 08:15
Odd, i had next to no problems in Nagoya and it s the 3rd city in Japan (iirc).

In my former place near the shakujii kouhen station (Nerima, near tokyo) i had little problem as well, even when going to tokyo.

But that was with the In Car GPS...

Damn i hated the GPS voice... the girl from the trains and subways, buses and now your own car !! >.<

I still have nightmares "mamonaku, niban sen no ressha ga mairimasu. abunai desu kara kuroi sen no uchigawa made osagari kudasai"
never go to japan, never

Naruhodo nee... Car GPS has a significantly bigger antenna afaik...

neil_rix
June 17th, 2007, 03:03
Japan is great, but even Maplus doesn't give me a lock. one or two satellites now (In Oizumimakuen), but no lock. Why is it so hard to get a lock in Tokyo? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation?

MIB.42
June 17th, 2007, 09:17
Japan is great, but even Maplus doesn't give me a lock. one or two satellites now (In Oizumimakuen), but no lock. Why is it so hard to get a lock in Tokyo? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation?

Height...

Signals seem to bounce around a lot I think. I remember once I got a lock with my 240 and it was pointing sporadically to random places within like a quarter of a mile radius. I got decent lock on the ~50th floor...

neil_rix
June 17th, 2007, 17:54
Cheers, I'll try that. I'm thinking of getting 'Mina no Chizu 2', which apparently has WiFi support to help you find where you are. how that works I'm not sure though, seeing as most networks have passwords.

clody
June 18th, 2007, 11:33
Well I think that if you want a good map of japan, use the Maplus that they have. Too bad its in Japanese tho.

MIB.42
June 18th, 2007, 17:52
Cheers, I'll try that. I'm thinking of getting 'Mina no Chizu 2', which apparently has WiFi support to help you find where you are. how that works I'm not sure though, seeing as most networks have passwords.

It doesn't require you to actually log-in to that network, it simply has a database which stores access point (AP) IDs and their corresponding (GPS) locations. The PSP than does a sweep to see what kind of APs are in range and based on their signal strength, does a very rough approximation on location. Pretty simple really. Cheers.

neil_rix
June 19th, 2007, 17:53
That's really clever. Have you got it, and if so, would you recommend it?