PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Console Possibly Hacked

cartmandude14
June 13th, 2007, 20:17
Today I was looking through some of the code on my virtual console games with my hex editor. I noticed that there is one line of code and text that is the same on every one of my virtual console games and game saves. I was thinking this might be the ID that ties each game to its own system. Even more interesting is when u change a digit in that line of code and try to copy it to your wii you get an error saying that the data was not copied. This is the same error you get when you try to copy someone else's game save or virtual console game to your system. It acts as means of protecting from copying of games and saves. I am going to try to test my theory later when i can get a hold of my friends virtual console data for one of his games. I want everyone to remember this is for experimental purposes only and that PIRACY IS BAD.

-Xandu-
June 13th, 2007, 20:24
That doesn't mean you hacked it. Nintendo definitely has stronger encryption methods than that.
And yeah, it has to be signed. You cannot modify the file, just like the PSP EBOOTs.

cartmandude14
June 13th, 2007, 20:33
I know it's probably stronger but couldn't you compare 2... mario 64's for example from 2 different wiis and see what parts of the code are different. That could be the encrypted part. And if i remember right you could hex edit psp eboots.

-Xandu-
June 13th, 2007, 20:46
Not that easy, if you were right, we could've gotten the PSP EBOOT signature a long time ago.

zonic
June 13th, 2007, 20:54
yeah and if so nintendo could possibly wouldnt think hackers would be interested in the hex code but you coud if you had the proper software to unencrypt the code and use the code to run homebrew or copied virtual console game by findinding or editing the signed software. your theory is correct but nintendo new updates make the security on the wii stronger like ta80-9 psp's
but undoing the code is easy but getting it to work it is not copying the software with its hex code somehow each hex code is is unique and cant work on any other wii ecept the one you downloaded the software on. emulators wich the virtual console is, nintendo had to get premission from sega and other game manufacturesjust to let them use the roms and emulator i.e. (VirtualConsole) many othercompanies use io's like game fly, block buster(just a rumor),and game tap uses an copy writed emulator with special permission. nintendo is alway a step ahead because there is hardly any hackers using mph roms on wifi metriod prime hunters
just as an example.

-Xandu-
June 13th, 2007, 21:21
That "proper software", get one from Nintendo :D.

And Nintendo doesn't improve the "security" of the Virtual Console games since they work on all Wii firmwares.

In order to find out Nintendo's encryption key it'll take years and years, good luck :), hope you find it out before 2080 :). Before I sell my Wii anyway..

cartmandude14
June 13th, 2007, 21:38
lol ok... well someone will find a crack eventually. they always do. like with the psp. actually that maybe just because sony is stupid :(

EDIT: my theory bypasses part of the security, the security in the game file, but now there is still ecrytion on the console preventing you from playing games that the wii hasnt registered as being purchased

TeamOverload
June 20th, 2007, 13:18
So basically, your "hack" does absolutely nothing new. This has been tried time and time again. It won't work. We won't have any hacks coming from hex editing. If you think of an idea that involves it, just give up before you even start it.