PDA

View Full Version : PSP-290 really worth it?

DogRed9
June 15th, 2007, 06:13
Ive been using mapthis without GPS for a while... just to view maps and stuff, and its come in handy a couple of times, but I do want a GPS device and don't really want to spend $500...
Ive been reading in these forums and it seems that locking onto satellites takes forever with the PSP-290.. so whats the average time for a lock-on?
The initial lock isn't that big of a deal, but what about once its locked on, does it follow well, and what about a road with trees, is that a problem? What If you go under a bridge and lose a signal for a couple of seconds will it quickly lock back on or will it take another long time to lock back on.
And probably the most important question... Is the speed reading accurate? (you can guess why)

Nieko
June 15th, 2007, 06:45
In my experience, initial lock is indeed rather slow (few minutes), but after that, everything works smoothly.

Precision is a meter or 2-3. Driving on roads with lots of trees, well, depends on the trees, but I've found no problems so far (follows just fine). After a bridge, it locks pretty fast, usually in seconds, a bit longer if you stand still under the bridge.

Speed reading deviates a bit, but is more accurate than the speedometer in my car, based on the number of hectometre stones on the freeway :P

Hope this helps :)

Liquid Smoke
June 15th, 2007, 19:19
its a nice accessory to have, but if ur patient and cant wait a few minutes b4 each trip to get it to lock to a satellite then it should be fine.

but otherwise, at least for me, locking onto satellites takes pretty long, sometimes 5+ minutes.

if u want a gps for the psp u should maybe look into the Holux one, it prob has much better signal, u'll just have to spend $10 extra to buy a usb cable to connect it to the psp, i never tried the Holux one but i read its better.

Nylon32
June 15th, 2007, 19:40
Using the extension cable with the 290 does improve the reception a lot but isn't always practical, also I do find while driving that the speed given is usually accurate.

so long as you use the right settings i.e. the right prx files and under clock the psp when trying to get a lock I find it has a strong, stable fix while driving, although I mainly use the extension cable now.

DogRed9
June 15th, 2007, 19:51
I'd rather stay away from the Holux ones... I don't want to have to change batteries and such...
I guess I'll buy one, is playasia a good source? (I've never used them before)

Liquid Smoke
June 15th, 2007, 20:03
yeah playasia seems good, but its $60 not including shipping. i got mine off ebay for $62 total with shipping.

nerd.geek
June 17th, 2007, 19:17
My PSP-290 is fine, it locks on with a average time of about 4 mins, it can find upto about 6 sats within an average time of about 2 mins.

Its tidy and easy to add to the PSP... in my opinion you cant get batter for the money.

skylife
June 18th, 2007, 01:23
yes the psp-290 is definately worth it. i usually 'see' sats within 20 seconds and lock onto them soon after. so from the time i switch on the gps mode, i usually atleast get a fix within 30 secs on a fine day and staying still. of course longer in cloudy wheather, but no longer than 1- 1&1/2 mins.

i got mine from yesasia.com, a little bit cheaper than playasia but not much.

sunami88
June 18th, 2007, 08:03
I've been loving my PSP-290 so far, it really is working well. It does take a bit to lock, but after that it works just as well as any other gps device I've seen.

As for Play-Asia, I've ordered stuff from there before (including my 290), and they've been nothing but perfect.

Waltrock
June 18th, 2007, 09:34
Remember that the PSP-290 is powered by the PSP itself!

With the other GPS-Devices you have to power them with another cable. That's why I bought the PSP-290, so i can charge the PSP while driving and I'll never get out of power ;)

troy1229
June 18th, 2007, 12:47
psp-290 performs better than i expected!!!!

Get one!!!

m0tyrider
June 18th, 2007, 13:26
Yer, its really good value for money. I live in kinda in the country area and when i do go through a patch of tree's the sat locks to go away, but shortly after return so it isn't a problem

And as mentioned before just be a little patient for it to lock on and then away you go :) i just leave my psp on while i get ready to go out then bang, she has already locked on and i am ready to go!

Its a good little unit. for how much its worth, you really cannot complain!