PDA

View Full Version : Official Sony PSP unbricker utility leaked online

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 15th, 2007, 08:12
According to internet reports, the official PSP 'magic memory stick' utility has been leaked onto the web which also has the capability to ubrick PSP units in accordance with a special battery. The supposed software is 16.8MB in size.You will special battery addon which from what ive heard sends 30 and 60hz signals via the middle connetor to the psp to sync it with the PSP but in time im sure they may a way bypass this...(update heard its been in some good hands for a while and nothings come of it yet)...

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Leaked_official_Sony_PSP_Unbricker)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Leaked_official_Sony_PSP_Unbricker

You will need the special battery however

-Xandu-
June 15th, 2007, 10:05
It would've been useful if we had that battery. And I highly doubt that battery has anything to do with it, since it's just power supply.

jonezybaby
June 15th, 2007, 10:50
its prob just a larger sized battery to stop the power dying quickly!

Cloudhunter
June 15th, 2007, 12:18
Nah, the battery triggers the magic process. It must send some sort of signal, or a certain voltage.

If we can hack that, then we are in business. No more problems with downgrading or bricking!

Edit: I was sort of right. It does send a signal, via a third pin on the battery. However, it can't be hacked easily, if at all. We definitely need the special battery, to do anything with this.

More information here: http://forums.maxconsole.net/showpost.php?p=386656&postcount=37

Cloudy

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 13:06
It would've been useful if we had that battery. And I highly doubt that battery has anything to do with it, since it's just power supply.

no! if you haven't realized the battery itself has a chip which i dont get it... :confused:
well just open the battery and you will see...
and i think its the middle pin.... i thought it was a ground pin, to ground the battery to the psp?

Airdevil
June 15th, 2007, 14:10
no! if you haven't realized the battery itself has a chip which i dont get it... :confused:
well just open the battery and you will see...
and i think its the middle pin.... i thought it was a ground pin, to ground the battery to the psp?

How would a portable system ground something?

It was no cables or wires coming out of it, unless you count the battery charging process.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 14:15
Wow didnt expect this coming.

Anyone know where to find downloads or are they on special sites

buildit92
June 15th, 2007, 14:19
this is great but if its leaked, then ill look for it. and hopefully the "specail battery" might just be a bigger one. thats what i think. and i no a special site...if possable do you guys want me to post it up here

yaustar
June 15th, 2007, 14:30
Do not link illegal leaked material on DCemu. Anyone that does, I will instantly ban. Fair warning.

Also, buildit92, you spelt 'obey' incorrectly in your signature image.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 14:40
You dont have to link it here just use google and think hard and you are on your way to finding it

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 14:44
If you would have read what it says there is no download link on that page.

Here are the folders. In the PSP/Savedata there seems to be some golf game :confused:

http://i10.tinypic.com/5y0386e.jpg

burrito
June 15th, 2007, 14:49
Sorry, they recently removed the download link. It was there about an hour ago.

Welshboy
June 15th, 2007, 14:54
As has been said it would all depend on getting that battery and taking it apart. I don't see how a battery can have some sought of chip in it?.....it's very far fetched?. Sending out a certain voltage is far more realistic in my opinion.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 14:57
^ ^
This is Sony we are talking about here. I think the chip in the battery could be possible. The battery is being called the "Jigkick" battery.

There are also reports that the PSAR included cannot be dumped via PSAR Dumper.

I am not sure who to believe

Panini
June 15th, 2007, 14:57

lol

He obviously has his own language as well as his own laws! :rofl:

burrito
June 15th, 2007, 15:05
All batteries have a small chip in them. The "special" one may just have a different kind.
Someone on Maxconsole said that the Golf thing in the "special" download is a demo used for testing if the psp works after being fixed.

Edit: This shows that all batteries have a chip/circuit board - http://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=%20AAA%20Battery%20Mod%20by%20-Neubit-

burrito
June 15th, 2007, 15:13
You spelled 'spelled' incorrectly too. ;)

`The0n3
June 15th, 2007, 15:22
It may be possible for an update psar dumper to possibly hack this utility and make it use a normal battery perhaps? :\ I sure hope so.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 15:25
Hmm...

I presume the "JigKick" battery would have connectores that connects to the PSP. Under the warranty sticker is a 3 pin connector maybe that has something to do with it

burrito
June 15th, 2007, 15:30
Do you mean the yellow part? That is the plug for the charger.
You need to just get hired by Sony and check how they unbrick psps, if they can at all lol

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 15:32
Not the yellow part I remember seeing a picture of 3 little holes under the warranty sticker that connect to the motherboard

yaustar
June 15th, 2007, 15:48
You spelled 'spelled' incorrectly too. ;)

Really? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spelt

xg917
June 15th, 2007, 16:10
AWSOME, if i get a hold of this unbricker i can unbrick my old psp i still have under my bed. lol
i wasnt kidding about that

The_Ultimate_Eggman
June 15th, 2007, 16:12
If you would have read what it says there is no download link on that page.

Here are the folders. In the PSP/Savedata there seems to be some golf game :confused:

The golf game save could be off the psp the software was lifted from ;).Just looked mines the same version

nielsss
June 15th, 2007, 16:23
aah man its not even on the torrent web sites =( and no links are allowed right? What about pm ?

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 16:40
Its basically useless to someone who has hardly any experience in the PSP scene anyway.

aah man its not even on the torrent web sites

^ ^ You haven't searched hard enough then

Knups
June 15th, 2007, 16:57
Yes, $ony can unbrick PSP's, so if you have bricked one send it to $ony and for a fee, probably a big one, they will hook you up. After said bricked PSP is unbricked by $ony immediately install custom OE FW and never brick your PSP again. Problem solved. Though it would be cool if they could hack this and bypass the propriatary battery, why wait? I of course will keep an eye on this thread though.

mavsman4457
June 15th, 2007, 17:02
This is unbelievable. This would give hackers a great advantage when trying to develop a downgrader as they wouldn't need to worry about bricking anymore and it would give me no reason to get a mod chip at all even for future PSP's that I might get.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 17:03
Knups
^ ^
You dont understand not at all.

Sending it to Sony means you get a PSP with 3.50 that means you cannot install custom firmware. Please read up the process before posting

Elven6
June 15th, 2007, 17:32
Another way for Sony to make money, can't the same thing be done with the AC adapter?

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 17:48
what about the ac adapter.. it has nothing to do with the topic, lol
well yeah, its basically a chip pn the battery, you guys think somebody will recreate a chip almost exactly like the unbricked batt? the guy who create it will be damn rich!!! :o

FOL
June 15th, 2007, 20:15
what about the ac adapter.. it has nothing to do with the topic, lol
well yeah, its basically a chip pn the battery, you guys think somebody will recreate a chip almost exactly like the unbricked batt? the guy who create it will be damn rich!!! :o

Why has no one mentioned SONY CamCorders yet?

They use LI-ON Batteries, that get detected by the unit, if the LI-ON battery is not detected the unit says "LI-ON not detected" and then shuts down.

I would guess the PSP already checks for this unbricker battery, doesnt see it, so the psp see's the standard battery and continues in customer mode.

Spose you could say its abit like multi-regioning a dvd with the customer remote via service mode. In this case they use the battery.

Well that would be the most logical way to work it.

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 20:28
i agree... (i think)

Anger
June 15th, 2007, 20:44
sorry to burst your bubble but the way im understanding it is this:
psp checks for battery - when detected it then checks for a special signal provided by the battery. if this signal is then detected the psp uses the battery as a flash disk. it then boots to a level where software can run, so it then proceeds to install the special psar from the memory stick.

now the only way i can see this working is with a hardware modification to the internals to allow the hardware to think the memory stick IS the special flash disk. my reasoning for this is that the hardware before it does anything checks the battery for this signal so unless we can make the psp think its getting this signal this will not come to anything.

now if we can make the psp enter the special mode we can then possibly run custom firmware meaning we wont need downgraders or modchips or anything else like that. things are looking up.

Buddy4point0
June 15th, 2007, 22:01
an officall sony unbricker sounds great, at least there not completely against homebrew. theres pretty much no way to brick a psp without it so this sounds great as long as the battery isnt too expensive

DarthPaul
June 15th, 2007, 23:39
Omg unbricker,Sony is the bomb. They really rule this world.

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 23:46
how can they rule the world with that????

DarthPaul
June 16th, 2007, 00:46
how can they rule the world with that????

Lmao! Ahaha I don't know.

Anger
June 16th, 2007, 02:49
an officall sony unbricker sounds great, at least there not completely against homebrew. theres pretty much no way to brick a psp without it so this sounds great as long as the battery isnt too expensive

i think you have missed the point - this is a battery only sony has, is only used to unbrick psp's, and noone can buy it from sony. it will never be sold to the public and was created not just to unbrick psp's but to also install them with the firmware in the first place. :rofl:

SSaxdude
June 16th, 2007, 21:32
This will be very useful for those afraid of bricking when they downgrade.

Anger
June 16th, 2007, 22:10
only if the guys can make something of it - its useless without that battery.

burrito
June 16th, 2007, 22:55
The dump is useless it's been leaked for AGES on QJ, even the minna no golf savedata on the MS has the same crc !, now ps3news are trying to make it look like it's a new leak to gain visitors. The battery (if it's really a battery as it could be a special hardware that uses some other ports) has never been leaked and I doubt anyone could walk out from SCE repair centers with one of those.

End of story.

This thread should be locked.
:eek:

sebbe
June 17th, 2007, 02:09
i dont actualy think this will help anyone unbrick their psp's, becouse i think that the memory only contains the firmware, and the batery is comunicating with the psp and copies the firmware from the memory stick to the flash0. becouse after a full brick, there is nothing left on the psp that "knows what to do" with the memory stick files, as far as we know... :P

djvu
June 17th, 2007, 10:10
To be honest theres no proof this is even real!

Screenshots? nope...:(
Videos? nope...:(
Can we even boot up or test these files: as far as i know thats a nope :(

so how do we even no this is real or works> :confused:

i mean its like me claiming ive found a magic html page which hacks into the nand enabling you to flash whatever you want....no proof is there lol

goatsrulez
June 17th, 2007, 10:26
ciao

Cloudhunter
June 17th, 2007, 10:53
Sigh... This "news" is just a fresh releak of something, and as such is over a year old.

It should be locked, nothing will come of it as we don't have all the information.

It WONT be hacked to unbrick PSP's.

Cloudy

nds69
June 17th, 2007, 19:39
Hmmmm would have been nice though..i meen maybey just maybey hackers could use this to instead unbrick but downgrade quite a few firmwares in one app...like if you bricked psp then use the unbrick part of the app..but if downgrading then choose between all the firmwares which to downgrade to..that would be a *mistaken updaters* dream.....

Anger
June 17th, 2007, 21:30
cant the hardware of the psp be modded to allow booting from the memory stick in the same way as the 'battery' allows? i mean it would be cheaper to produce a mod that can replicate the functions provided by the psp battery because you wouldnt have to expose all those tiny traces in the psp - you would only need to connect it via 2 wires, possibly even external to the psp. the hard bit of course is getting a hold of the code the 'battery' contains. the practicalities are possible, its just about getting the thing we need.

chess0990
June 17th, 2007, 22:08
what motherboard was that guys psp? oh and my friends dad has the knowhow if it is voltage and all the things on it that he might be able to make one, but if the batteries chip is programmed to jump start it then he's lost

psp411
June 17th, 2007, 23:06
we need to see what pins go where for the battery imput... maybe that should shed some light on the mystery.... ill post up the pics of my old ta-079 mobo that was bricked when i find my usb cord.
:D :cool:

burrito
June 17th, 2007, 23:53
we need to see what pins go where for the battery imput... maybe that should shed some light on the mystery.... ill post up the pics of my old ta-079 mobo that was bricked when i find my usb cord.
:D :cool:

I found this on Maxconsole:

it appears that the bottom three pins all do the same thing as they would still be semi hidden behind the warranty label so they need 3 pins(RED CIRCLE) to confirm the connection
the other pin seems to come from the yellow power socket(PINK CIRCLE) not sure whether it is +v or -v but it seems that you just short these holes as with the NDS flash process

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/wty4ka/psp_pwrswboard.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/wty4ka/336.jpg

(All of this is speculation its not my fault if you try it and brake something further)

Anger
June 18th, 2007, 01:15
we know from the hackers who are working on this that the middle pin contains extra circuitry and programming on the special battery. this cannot be reproduced in the psp software, and it certainly cant be added to a normal battery either.

what motherboard was that guys psp? oh and my friends dad has the knowhow if it is voltage and all the things on it that he might be able to make one, but if the batteries chip is programmed to jump start it then he's lost.
then im afraid hes quite lost - it does. what does the motherboard revision have to do with this anyway?
@psp411: dont waste your time - it is a special battery - in fact it may not even BE a battery.
@taco111: good find. this may be a part of the process but it really isnt worth guessing about unless you have plenty of spare psp's about. i think we should be leaving this to the experts.

camcorderdoctor
August 2nd, 2007, 01:34
Hello everyone - sorry for such a late post about this subject but - i am a Camcorder technician and have worked on Sony camcorders for over 10 year - There IS either a chip or a frequency / sync pulse generator in their Info Lithium batteries that tells the camcorder how much juice it has and/or that it is in fact a sony battery or equivalant (Info Lithium batteries have this technology) I am 95% SURE that psp batteries have the same basic properties because of what everyone has described. I am a hardware tech not a coder so I know the actual hardware not the programming. There may be a way to prove this - if you had an oscilliscope you could see the data pulses being sent to the psp from the battery on that third pin - not that it would help you in any way without the combination of other software and hardware interfaces - I hope this sheds some insight into this. Oh and I am a SONY factory trained and certified technician. I will look into this a bit more and get back to you all as I have semi-bricked my psp and 70 buck for mod chip is a bit steep but may still be worth it (beats 169 buck for new psp) - I haven't decided yet i may just get the mod chip anyway - LOL

junvienna
August 2nd, 2007, 01:44
Having this kind of tools in psp owners is very useful now the only thing that missing is the price coz if its the same cost as undiluted chip its much better...you can easily unbrick any psp just putting the battery.

Art
August 2nd, 2007, 02:33
The middle pin is an extra serial port.
We've known that since day dot.
The ordinary PSP batteries use it to pass data re
temperature, time for charge cycle, etc.

The special battery obviously uses it for something else.

I learned that more than a year back with all the useless modding I do :rolleyes:

ALTIMITHacker
August 2nd, 2007, 07:24
Well, Im not sure if this is connected but I might as well share the food for thought. lol. So, Anyway, every 3 - 6 months, I go into my flash0 and remove particular files so that I bricked my PSP. I do this because I like to use my warranty to get a new one. The last one I got was 2 months ago, and it was a different experience for me. usually its the "Ok its not loading, here a new one"(I go to Best Buy) , but this time, Geek Squad checked it out. Best buy apparantly has their own Geek Squad department this year. Anyway, they said "Give us a few hours to see if we can fix it", and I agreed, knowing that they wouldnt be able to. And they didn't, However, They told me that they were able to boot it up and use something that said its firmware was unknown, I was using 3.40 OE-A, or 3.30 OE-A, I dont remember. But it did shock me that they could use something to boot it up and get it partially running...I mean, I did a good job of "bricking" it, so I dont know how they could have loaded it up. Anyway, just to let you know that it is possible for "unbrickers" to exist, whether they do or not, idk. I just know that somehow, the little pesky Geek Squad group (Who dont know anything, seriously) were able to look into my firmware, and boot up a black screen.

...oh and if your feeling like posting just to say "liar", save it. Go fake brick your own and send it to Geek Squad, I bet they will do the same thing and you'll get the same type of response.

ish420ism
August 2nd, 2007, 10:30
Well, Im not sure if this is connected but I might as well share the food for thought. lol. So, Anyway, every 3 - 6 months, I go into my flash0 and remove particular files so that I bricked my PSP. I do this because I like to use my warranty to get a new one. The last one I got was 2 months ago, and it was a different experience for me. usually its the "Ok its not loading, here a new one"(I go to Best Buy) , but this time, Geek Squad checked it out. Best buy apparantly has their own Geek Squad department this year. Anyway, they said "Give us a few hours to see if we can fix it", and I agreed, knowing that they wouldnt be able to. And they didn't, However, They told me that they were able to boot it up and use something that said its firmware was unknown, I was using 3.40 OE-A, or 3.30 OE-A, I dont remember. But it did shock me that they could use something to boot it up and get it partially running...I mean, I did a good job of "bricking" it, so I dont know how they could have loaded it up. Anyway, just to let you know that it is possible for "unbrickers" to exist, whether they do or not, idk. I just know that somehow, the little pesky Geek Squad group (Who dont know anything, seriously) were able to look into my firmware, and boot up a black screen.

...oh and if your feeling like posting just to say "liar", save it. Go fake brick your own and send it to Geek Squad, I bet they will do the same thing and you'll get the same type of response.

LIAR!!!

JPJunkie
August 2nd, 2007, 10:38

Doesn't sound real!!!

Sorry if it is!!!:rolleyes:

Anyway we need to find out more about this unbricker!!!

ALTIMITHacker
August 2nd, 2007, 11:35
Doesn't sound real!!!

Sorry if it is!!!:rolleyes:

Anyway we need to find out more about this unbricker!!!

Ya I know....I kinda had the feeling I would get that response.

LIAR!!!

:rolleyes: nice lol