PDA

View Full Version : NesDS 14/06/2007 Released

wraggster
June 15th, 2007, 14:35
Loopy (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/) has released a new version of his Nes emulator for the Nintendo DS.

Heres whats new:

Update:
DLDI support added (6/14/2007)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Homerun
June 15th, 2007, 15:27
I prefer Nester over this....
Does it work better than Nester?

Well Super Mario Bros 1 takes you to the Minus World every time >_>.

Sir_Voe
June 15th, 2007, 16:56
Thank you, Been waiting for this for a while. Saving works fine on my slot 1 card now. BTW, The minus world thing on SMB has to do w/ an odd dump of the game. I was able to find one that doesn't do that.

Homerun
June 15th, 2007, 16:59
Thank you, Been waiting for this for a while. Saving works fine on my slot 1 card now. BTW, The minus world thing on SMB has to do w/ an odd dump of the game. I was able to find one that doesn't do that.

Oh kk I'll try and find one :eek:

paul1991
June 15th, 2007, 17:26
so, do i just put my roms in a folder with the name "NES". Im still using the version that has to compile them into a single nesds.nds file.

zauberer
June 15th, 2007, 18:29
This is way better than Nester, I wanted to Nester be the best...

This is what I was waiting, DLDI!!

Homerun
June 15th, 2007, 19:35
This is way better than Nester, I wanted to Nester be the best...

This is what I was waiting, DLDI!!

So did I but I still use it for SMB. NES DS Hates my SMB Copy :(

kiariki
June 15th, 2007, 19:51

You got battery saving working? I tried Zelda out and it didn't save didly squat.
:/

RV2006
June 15th, 2007, 20:06
This isn't much different to the last version for me...
The DLDI patches, but the touch screen controls don't work properly on my R4...

Sir_Voe
June 15th, 2007, 20:51
You got battery saving working? I tried Zelda out and it didn't save didly squat.
:/

Yeah, battery saving works for Zelda 1 and 2. Make sure you save in game first, then use "Save SRAM".

TeenDev
June 15th, 2007, 21:05
damn, its been since 2005 that this was updated...

souLLy
June 15th, 2007, 23:53
now this supports file browsing it's easily one of the best emulators on the ds. I just completed life force salamander using this, awesome stuff. I love the rewind/fast forward feature too, it lets you retake the same life again if you lose on a level :)

Is there some kind of interlacing used as well to fit it onto the screen? it looks very smooth, i'd love to see this used in something like lameboy too

goofy00
June 16th, 2007, 05:39
Is anyone else having the problem I am? I have an M3 Simply, and I have save state successfully with about 3 or 4 games, when I try to save with others, it does not work, then if I try to load a new rom, it locks up and displays a msg about the r4/m3 not working? anyone else get this or know how to fix it?

Steely
June 16th, 2007, 16:33
Mine doesn't save right. Whenever I press "save SRAM", it displays "R4DS - revolution for the DS failed", or something like that, like goofy00.

mmochel
June 17th, 2007, 03:33
Perhaps someone would like to post some instructions as this does not seem to do anything when loaded.
Do the roms go in a seperate folder?
As there is no readme I have no idea what to do with it.

voteforpedro36
June 17th, 2007, 03:46
Make sure (all of you) DLDI patched it. And SRAM saving won't work on the R4, use the regular one.

Sir_Voe
June 17th, 2007, 04:09
SRAM saves work fine on my R4.

toymin80r
June 17th, 2007, 18:55

Hey homer, you just have a crappy rom man, dl a clean rom, not a modded one.

jackal27
June 17th, 2007, 20:06
How do you Save SRAM?? Is there a menu on the bottom screen? I don't get the menu if there is.

DanTheManMS
June 17th, 2007, 22:50
I prefer Nester over this....
Does it work better than Nester?

Not at all. NES DS is better than NesterDS for nearly all games, as it doesn't require frameskip to maintain fullspeed. It also has fast-forward and rewind capability, in addition to save support.

For SMB, just hold A while pressing Start or find a good copy of the game.

so, do i just put my roms in a folder with the name "NES". Im still using the version that has to compile them into a single nesds.nds file.

Just DLDI patch the file without compiling games into it and it should give you a file browser where you can select the *.nes file from your card.

Is there some kind of interlacing used as well to fit it onto the screen? it looks very smooth, i'd love to see this used in something like lameboy too

If you touch the screen to bring up the menu and go to the Display area, you'll find various scaling options. You can change the scaling amount by touching horizontally, while touching vertically changes the location of the screen when you've unscaled it to the point that it's larger than the DS screen. You can also choose between Flicker blending and o-lerp (replacing the o with that symbol), with most users preferring the o-lerp.

Jackal27, just touch the screen to bring up the menu.

I haven't tested this build extensively, but it's on my to-do list.

turnerl
June 18th, 2007, 01:45
Thankyou, great release!

ACID
June 21st, 2007, 05:11
how do you patch the games there is no read me file :(

DanTheManMS
June 21st, 2007, 05:19
It's standard DLDI patching. Read the sticky in this forum to learn what DLDI is and how to patch with it.

RibStabsHeart
July 1st, 2007, 04:12
Anyone with a Kensington MicroSD card get this to work? I need to try it, but I know the previous builds wouldn't do save states or SRAM. Anyone check it?

RibStabsHeart
July 1st, 2007, 07:29
Holy SHIT! IT WORKS!

If you have a Kingston micro SD card and couldn't save SRAM or States before, IT WORKS NOW WITH DLDI!

Loopy, this is amazing. Could you fix up SNESDS with DLDI real quick too?

x999x
July 1st, 2007, 16:52
Patched and auto patched with the new 1.10 R4 firmware, and I still can't get this to save.

I am receiving errors after I try to save to sram.

You can check this on your R4 by starting Zelda, making a character and then saving to sram. Now click "Load Rom" and you'll see an error message regarding your Sram save just before your DS locks up and requires a reboot.

pizzatacoman
July 1st, 2007, 21:28
DAMN, This won't work with the damn Games n' Music.

DanTheManMS
July 4th, 2007, 02:10
pizzatocoman, try the new DLDI file that Chishm made for the GnM, available at the DLDI Wiki (Google for it).

phantal
July 10th, 2007, 14:43
Hey homer, you just have a crappy rom man, dl a clean rom, not a modded one.

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. I distinctly remember getting to minus world on my NES when I was a kid. I was using a plain old "Super Mario Bros" game cartridge (not the Duck Hunt one), not one of the carts that comes with many games on one cart, I was not using any special tools such as Game Genie, etc.

I seem to remember there being a letter to Nintendo Power about it from a user describing how to get to minus world, and that's what induced us to try it. After all, in the late 80s most people didn't have internet access, and those that did -- I kinda doubt they were talking about the latest thing in video games. Either way, we didn't know what the internet was, and yet my brother & I still heard about it as kids.

So, those of you who don't believe minus world is legitimate, I challenge you to find an NES and a copy of SMB1, and try getting to minus world. I think you'll be surprised.

Oh, and another thing. We used to try jumping over the flagpole all the time. I'd get very close, landing just on the other side of the ball on top of the flag, and it'd pull me back over and I'd slide down the flag pole. With a game genie you can do it, but you get a similar effect as to minus world -- you just run forever until you run out of time.

-Brian

DanTheManMS
July 10th, 2007, 19:24
Actually phantal, you're thinking of something else. There are improper dumps of Super Mario Bros.nes that don't initialize some settings correctly, and as such when you press Start to begin the game, it starts you off at world 0-1, which appears to be an underwater version of a castle or something (contains the bridge and key at the end). This is most likely what homer was talking about.

You can fix this by holding A as you press Start, or you can obtain a correct dump of the game.

The minus world you're thinking of is the one you access through world 1-2 by going through the bricks. That is indeed possible using NES DS and either the good or bad dump of the game.

Shayne
July 12th, 2007, 05:45
Hey everyone I got a question here, I'm like brand spanking new to this lol I just bought a cyclo ds evolution for my ds lite, I downloaded this nesds emulator and I can load my roms no problem, but how do I save my games with it? I can't create save files or? and I'm a freshie so gotta be polite with the big words lol ;)

DanTheManMS
July 12th, 2007, 07:08
Tap the touchscreen to bring up the NES DS menu. The "File" tab has the options for saving and loading.

Fr0t3x
July 19th, 2007, 16:41
It doesn't work with my R4 and my 1 gb Kingston microSD T_T

DanTheManMS
July 19th, 2007, 20:40
I've heard of NES DS not working with the built-in autopatcher. Use DLDIrc to patch it manually with the R4 DLDI file.

Fr0t3x
July 19th, 2007, 21:22
I've heard of NES DS not working with the built-in autopatcher. Use DLDIrc to patch it manually with the R4 DLDI file.
I did and it still doesn't work...
btw sorry for my bad english >>