PDA

View Full Version : More information on the Leaked official Sony PSP Unbricker

evolve
June 15th, 2007, 18:09
Yesterday it was reported that Sony's special PSP memory software was leaked onto the web, and in conjunction with a special battery had the abilility to unrbick PSPs. We sought some more information on what this magical software/hardware combination can do and found out a few interesting facts. The software is used only at official Sony factories, and requires the use of a special battery which enables Sony to unbrick a PSP when both software and the respective hardware is present. The battery is used to initialise the PSP service mode and once this is active the kernel on the memory stick runs.

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Leaked_official_Sony_PSP_Unbricker)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Leaked_official_Sony_PSP_Unbricker

[via EvolveXMB (http://evolvexmb.com/Main/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=426&forum=19)]

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 18:29
interesting isn't it????? i wonder if a person could hold both???

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 18:32
interesting

Just need to find a near sony factory to me and I buy have to buy a new crowbar

mavsman4457
June 15th, 2007, 18:42
This information is pretty much the same as what was in the last post about this but this is still pretty cool. I wish I had one of these to sell the services of it and unbrick other peoples PSP's.

double_d
June 15th, 2007, 18:57
Somebody needs to lift one of those batteries,
then maybe reverse engineer it or clone it or something.

The advantages of having this work, and being something people could build would be endless.

That would also mean Sony lost the war completely.

ExcruciationX
June 15th, 2007, 18:58
This information is pretty much the same as what was in the last post about this but this is still pretty cool. I wish I had one of these to sell the services of it and unbrick other peoples PSP's.
Same here.

It would be fun to work at one of those just to see what exactly they do.

burrito
June 15th, 2007, 19:02
Same here.

It would be fun to work at one of those just to see what exactly they do.
You should try to get a job at the main Sony place then "borrow" an unbricking battery, and take it to someone to get them copied.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 19:25
Yeh this being leaked out would make us Win The War On Sony.

^ ^
I like that

pt9087
June 15th, 2007, 19:33
Hmm wow i bet that battery is gold!

parkermauney
June 15th, 2007, 20:04
Can this reflash any fw?

MicroNut
June 15th, 2007, 20:05
What they are calling a battery sounds like a self powered eeprom flasher that contains the IPL microcode necessary to flash the psp eeprom with a special recovery firmware.

Why couldn't the same thing be accomplished with a Devolution chip?

parkermauney
June 15th, 2007, 20:15
It could, people just aren't smart enough to install it.

MicroNut
June 15th, 2007, 20:21
Smart probably doesn't have a lot to do with it.
More like steady hands, skill and the right equipment.

What makes this "battery" any less difficult to use.
Why couldn't a chip like the devolution be adapted to use the same technique especially *if* its easier to use...
ie less install points, sanding and so on.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 20:24
This battery I presume holds kernel access to the firmware. Thus launching the prx's in the file which then must launch the PSAR file and flashes the firmware to whatever the PSAR update is

MicroNut
June 15th, 2007, 20:30
I see... the devolution does not contain any Sony IPL
Which is what makes it "legal"
So less solder/contact points I assume...

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 20:38
Develotion just contains another flash onboard thats how they restore the corrupt flash

acn010
June 15th, 2007, 20:41
true true... probably a 3rd party unbrickerss????

califrag
June 15th, 2007, 20:48
what lies on this little chip that does the wonders? hmm...

http://www.acidmods.com/tutorials/images/btm5.JPG
http://www.acidmods.com/tutorials/images/btm6.JPG

(images above taken from PSP AAA battery mod at acidmods.com)
http://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=%20AAA%20Battery%20Mod%20by%20-Neubit-

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 21:10
There the original battery's I dont they have anything on them Sony are not that stupid to leave something like kernel access on them

Airdevil
June 15th, 2007, 21:21
There the original battery's I dont they have anything on them Sony are not that stupid to leave something like kernel access on them

or ARE THEY!? lol

They make mistakes all the time.

nal
June 15th, 2007, 21:28
here me out, I'm not skilled in this department but I bet acidmods, n00bz, or dax could figure this out.

The so called golden battery has a 4th pin that is used during the flashing, so couldnt they make a usb cable the has connectors to all the pins the batter hits? so the psp would be charged via the usb cable and hit that pin allowing an reverse enginneered program running on the pc to do the rest? we have the software so that should tell us how it does it right?

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 21:43
I think we wont get a official copy of the battery but we will get a clone of one that someone has made.

Only problem is how much are they going to charge for this

Triv1um
June 15th, 2007, 21:45
I dont believe this to be honest.

I will believe it when i see it.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 21:53
I think this is quite real all the files I have seen in the folder seem (cushty) to me.

DPyro
June 15th, 2007, 21:56
FYI many 'versions' of this have been leaked before, this just happens to be an earlier version which flashes a lower firmware than the others.

Veskgar
June 15th, 2007, 21:58
My theory on how this could open up many doors in the future is that we could purposely brick PSP's with 3.10 and above firmware and then use this to unbrick and install 1.50 firmware. Then we could upgrade to 3.xx OE firmware from Dark_AleX.

Does this make sense?

If that would work, how would you brick a PSP with official SONY firmware?

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 22:00
^ ^
Well update pull the battery out and you have a brick

zoson
June 15th, 2007, 22:06
WOW, this thread is filled with so much garbage, I'm debating posting actual information here. The OP is accurate, but the assumptions that everyone is making are just LUDICRIS.

1. There are only _THREE_ pins in the battery compartment. Not four. One is a positive contact, one is a negative contact, and the third is a serial link directly to the PSP's bus.

2. This 'battery' everyone is referring to is not a battery at all. Sure it provides power, but it is a base station that you will not get your hands on. The base station is capable of emulating all of the PSP hardware that exists before the Bus hitch at the battery. This means that the station can initialize all of the hardware within a bricked PSP. Essentially they use a second psp to boot the first.

Think of it like this:
You have a motherboard with a bad CMOS.

You boot a working, identical motherboard into a CMOS flasher, pop out the working board's CMOS, and pop in the corrupted CMOS to flash.

You use another machine's hardware to write to the first machine's memory.

So the conclusion to all of this? It's a worthless post, and a worthless piece of software. Why do you think Sony cares so little that this software got leaked?

Because it will not help anyone unbrick a PSP. You NEED the base station or this software does NOTHING.

The 'unbrick' trick does NOT lie in the leaked software. The trick is the ability of the base station to initialize all of a bricked PSP's hardware so you can write to the flash.

Squidman
June 15th, 2007, 22:08
^ ^
Well update pull the battery out and you have a brick

but if you have it, then you can un-brick it :thumbup:

and this "Base Station" sounds a little more correct than an actual battery

Buddy4point0
June 15th, 2007, 22:11
i need to go steal one of these and sell it on ebay for 1000000000 dollars

steve520
June 15th, 2007, 22:14
If i had one of those things i would buy tons of bricked PSP's of the internet and then unbrick them and sell them for more money.

splodger15
June 15th, 2007, 22:16
The 'unbrick' trick does NOT lie in the leaked software. The trick is the ability of the base station to initialize all of a bricked PSP's hardware so you can write to the flash.[/B]

^ ^
Most people in the PSP scene had known that already. There is assumptions the "Jigkick" battery contains kernel access then it runs these leaked files.

This software is launched when the battery is implemented

shorty_carnage
June 15th, 2007, 22:16
If i had this batery i would sell it!

psp411
June 15th, 2007, 22:18
if this "battery" (base station) gets out with the software, ill be VERY happy :D :cool:

Cokemusic
June 15th, 2007, 23:08
i need to go steal one of these and sell it on ebay for 1000000000 dollars

No even better, get the whole homebr3w community to raid sony factories worldwide emptying out all these base stations.

Downgraded version 1.5 PSP's for everyone !!.

pt9087
June 15th, 2007, 23:35
Bit dodgy! Reading some of you ladies comments made me think... False

burrito
June 16th, 2007, 01:41
it appears that the bottom three pins all do the same thing as they would still be semi hidden behind the warranty label so they need 3 pins(RED CIRCLE) to confirm the connection
the other pin seems to come from the yellow power socket(PINK CIRCLE) not sure whether it is +v or -v but it seems that you just short these holes as with the NDS flash process

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/wty4ka/psp_pwrswboard.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/wty4ka/336.jpg

(All of this is speculation its not my fault if you try it and brake something further)
I found this on another site. I think there is no special battery, but you first need to do something to these pins, then load the "special memory stick".
And the board DOES connect directly to the motherboard.

shrimpidy
June 16th, 2007, 02:36
Isn't that hinting something? What could be so special about a battery. Like I understand the use of software to unbrick but a battery? I had a PSP sent back around March this year and when I got it back, there was a new face plate on it so I thought the motherborad got replaced or something until now when I look to c if its a TA something. This is interesting news.

burrito
June 16th, 2007, 03:10
I heard that sometimes Sony gives you back a different used psp.

razorak
June 16th, 2007, 04:30
like the Refurbished 1.5s? i've seen them around...lol. In fact, some of them are still bricked xD

YourStillWithMe
June 16th, 2007, 05:47
The software is already leaked people, I have it. I'm sure there is something else to it aside from the software. . . .obviously. . . .I'm sure somebody will figure it out and than post on a forum somewhere.

sourced
June 16th, 2007, 07:40
interesting

splodger15
June 16th, 2007, 09:46
The software is already leaked people, I have it. I'm sure there is something else to it aside from the software. . . .obviously. . . .I'm sure somebody will figure it out and than post on a forum somewhere.

Most people have the software already now.

Micky_c_dog
June 16th, 2007, 11:37
if this software is leaked cant omeone find what it acceses/ does and work out what else it needs to work?

im sorry if im being a bit noobish but why does anyone care?

splodger15
June 16th, 2007, 13:55
Well it fixes bricked psp's it tells you in the title.

it also needs a special battery to work plus we dont have bthe battery

Man
June 16th, 2007, 15:21
If people figure out this battery, then the price for it is going to be huge, because people will try and sell it so that other people can unbick lots of PSPs, and to be completely honnest with you, a "special" battery, sounds a little fishy to me. But i could be wrong, lets hope.

burrito
June 16th, 2007, 16:15
New information has come to light on the official Sony PSP unbricker. According to internet reports, a gamer sent a bricked PSP to Sony who then returned it with a memory stick inside and contained a slew of files. As already established the memory stick is useless without a special hardware battery which accesses the battery pin that enables writing the IPL from the memory stick.

Contents of returned PSP Memory Stick

- Binary encrypted full NAND image.
- Required modules for system control for use by IPL of debug hardware.
- Logging module for debug log review (log is saved after full write).
A file used for testing that the system plays well (usually a demo of a PSP game).

Special Battery hardware specifications

- 1.1v-3.5v debug unit for connecting through the serial port in 3rd. battery pin.
- Transmission of data is UNENCRYPTED but uses a XOR algorithm for transmission (easily parsed and analyzed).
- Contains any number of IPLs (different ones for each motherboard revision (TA-XXX))
- IPL is loaded into the Kernel Memory. ME area seems most likely (IPL of the PSP is the same but missing 2 essential modules that the debug unit has).
- Contains ipl_mg_modules.bin and ipl_mg_nanddriver.bin
- IPL is encrypted in 3 stages. Easily decrypted to show stages, but not for decrypt each individual stage.
- Contains a 40x120 column TFT screen for display.
- Has a SERIAL port for PC connectivity.
- Seems to have a 32MB ROM IMAGE on Flash.
- 8MB of RAM.
- Nickel-Cadmium Battery Cell (possibly 76 hour battery life).
- AC/DC adapter port 15V.
- Contains 4 buttons (on/off, reset, connect/disconnect, menu).
- Arrow keys UP and DOWN for menu.

The dump is useless it's been leaked for AGES on QJ, even the minna no golf savedata on the MS has the same crc !, now ps3news are trying to make it look like it's a new leak to gain visitors. The battery (if it's really a battery as it could be a special hardware that uses some other ports) has never been leaked and I doubt anyone could walk out from SCE repair centers with one of those.

End of story.

This thread should be locked.
lol

zoson
June 16th, 2007, 20:03
yes, please lock this and never bring it up again. It's a waste of everyones time to revisit this.

denverqweqweqwe
June 20th, 2007, 20:19
Can this reflash any fw?

ya it means that when you update you can puposly turn the psp off and reflash any fw you want thats what they mean when they say we would win the war because ther wouldnt need to be anymore downgraders

Flatland
June 21st, 2007, 04:37
GUYS MUCH BETTER TO BACK UP UR FLASH0 THAN TO BUY THAT BATTERY MAYBE IT WORTH ALOT....... I BRICK MY PSP ONCE BUT I FIGURE IT OUT HOW TO UNBRICK IT JUST
POWER ON YOUR PSP THEN HOLD+L AND WILL OPEN IT AS A RECOVERY MODE
TOGGLE USB (YOUR MAIN MEMORY STICK) >
ADVANCE> TOGGLE USB FLASH0 (FILE OF YOUR PSP VERSION)>
TOGGLE USB FLASH1(HISTORY OF CHANGES YOU MADE TO YOUR PSP)
BETTER BACK UP ALL FLASH0 AND FLASH1 IN CASE YOU WANT TO PLAY YOUR PSP MAKING SOME CHANGES :rofl: IF YOU BRICK IT YOU CAN RECOVER IT UP.... :thumbup: I HAVE A FONT OF PIMP MY RIDE IF U WANT ILL UPLOAD A LINK HERE CHECK IT OUT!!!

COPY AND PASTE IT ON
FLASH0>FOLDER (font)

PSP BLACK (JAPAN)
PSP CAMERA
VERSION: 3.03 OE-C
4GB SONY MEMORY STICK HIGH SPEED

parkermauney
June 21st, 2007, 06:43
Dammit! When are you gonna stop posting that picture and random files every damn time you post?

thaforgottenone
June 24th, 2007, 03:58
i think ppl are going tha wrong way about tha batt... if u look at tha PSP's house'n for tha batt... 2 strips are thouchable(tha one on tha charger port, when tha batt is removed)... so maybe tha "batt" need'd uses those strips or with tha "3rd pin" ... hope you can understand what im say'n.... just a thought