PDA

View Full Version : Flashback for the DS Port 0.1.9

GPF
June 15th, 2007, 23:32
REminiscence is a rewrite of the engine used in the game Flashback from Delphine Software. This program is designed as a cross-platform replacement for the original executable and uses the SDL library. Original version by Gregory Montoir, [email protected] - http://membres.lycos.fr/cyxdown/reminiscence/

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/flashbackds.jpg

Copy the original dos files into /data/flashback/Data/ directory, and

In order to hear music, you'll need the original music files (.mod) of the
amiga version. Copy them to the DATA directory and rename them like this :

mod.flashback-ascenseur
mod.flashback-ceinturea
mod.flashback-chute
mod.flashback-desintegr
mod.flashback-donneobjt
mod.flashback-fin
mod.flashback-fin2
mod.flashback-game_over
mod.flashback-holocube
mod.flashback-introb
mod.flashback-jungle
mod.flashback-logo
mod.flashback-memoire
mod.flashback-missionca
mod.flashback-options1
mod.flashback-options2
mod.flashback-reunion
mod.flashback-taxi
mod.flashback-teleport2
mod.flashback-teleporta
mod.flashback-voyage

Thanks to Gregory Montoir for the great engine and for releasing the source.
Thanks to Sektor for his Flashback port/update of my previous REminiscenceDS 0.1.8 version, I have tried to incorporate his changes into this new release.

Fixes in this release from PC version
release 0.1.9 (2007/03/16)
- fixed minor glitches in cutscenes
- fixed several Conrad moves
- fixed fast mode
- made game version autodetection defaulting to English
- added support for SegaCD speech files

for the DS I have add pausing the system when closing the lid, and poweroff the ds when choosing exit from menu as well as saving/loading save states, and jumping to new levels from the password menu.
Sound is alot better now with the use of my updated libSDL release which supports streaming sound.

Enjoy,
Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/REminiscenceDS.shtml

XDelusion
June 16th, 2007, 03:34
Can't wait to try it...

...but what's this about the Sega CD Speech support? I did a search in both docs for the word SEGA and didn't find any matches.

GPF
June 16th, 2007, 04:49
Copy your VOICE.VCE speech file from sega cd american version, copy it into the Data directory and then the character will have speach with the text when talking to Conrad. Also I forgot to put in the readme.ds Left trigger brings up the savestate menu.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Adrenalin
June 16th, 2007, 07:28
Edit: don't worry i found it

Thanks for the update!

XDelusion
June 16th, 2007, 07:51
Thankx you!

XioN980
June 16th, 2007, 09:40
do the files have to be a certain case, ie lower or upper cos ive got all the files renamed the necassary ones and there in the correct directories but do not load

GPF
June 16th, 2007, 16:21
do the files have to be a certain case, ie lower or upper cos ive got all the files renamed the necassary ones and there in the correct directories but do not load

i have all the file as uppercase since thats how they come from the DOS version. The amiga modfiles are lowercase. Make sure you have the case of the directory names correct /data/flashback/Data/ and make sure and dldi patch the nds file for your hardware.

Troy(GPF)

XioN980
June 17th, 2007, 13:57
no lol its a problem with the readme. i put all of the "required files" in the readme in to the directory but none of the other files, so in a rage i put all the files in and it worked, lack of initiative on my part.

Besides in FAT case doesn't matter

My Bad :D

XDelusion
June 18th, 2007, 00:51
The voice file from the Sega CD version seems to add a bit of delay, but other than that, everything seems to be working great!

Any plans on bringing Out of this World (Another World) over to the DS?

It's a shame Heart of the Alien was never ported to PC then opened sourced. :/

GPF
June 18th, 2007, 01:15
The voice file from the Sega CD version seems to add a bit of delay, but other than that, everything seems to be working great!

Any plans on bringing Out of this World (Another World) over to the DS?

It's a shame Heart of the Alien was never ported to PC then opened sourced. :/

Unfortunetly no, I have it ported and it works great, but the author of Another World has requested that newer versions based off of Gregory Montoir ported engine not be released anymore. I did a dreamcast version which I received permission to released with the commercial datafiles, that was a couple years ago and not sure how the author feels now I haven't tried to contact him.

Heart of the Alien was ported to the dreamcast if I remember right, so there is source code available somewhere but I haven't looked into that yet.

Troy(GPF)

Jimmy22666
June 26th, 2007, 19:31
Could someone please post a detailed guide as to how to get this to work, I have tried and tried and it wont work, the error I get is "unable to find data files, check that all required files are present!" I was not entirely sure on what files I needed so I just copied them all to the Data directory (some aren't needed)

By the way, in case it matters, I am trying this on the R4DS. The files I have are from http://www.abandonia.com/games/74/ (the amiga files are also there)

Please help

xenophreak
September 6th, 2007, 20:03
There is already a GBA version of Out of this World / Another World that works perfectly on the DS.

And I'm also trying to run this in the R4DS. Does this work on the R4?

Thanks

XP

xenophreak
September 6th, 2007, 20:58
OMG, yes, it works perfect in the DS with R4!!! Thanks!!
The animations are just a bit too slow, but everything else is fine.

Jimmy, you need to copy the nds file and the data folder in the root of your microSD card.

You need the original DOS files and the amiga MODS.

XP

db73
October 13th, 2008, 11:40
There is already a GBA version of Out of this World / Another World that works perfectly on the DS.
I'm running Flashback using the SNEmulDS SNES emulator. Works a treat. I tried Another World but it wouldn't run.

ahahah
November 1st, 2008, 11:05
hello

i wish i can play flashback on my ds

when i played the original, i remember there was a password protection at the end of the 1st level.

how can we write the password with the ds?

I'm running Flashback using the SNEmulDS SNES emulator.
yes i tryed it too, but with snemulds the savegame bugs (games are saved but can't be loaded with flashback..)

GPF
November 3rd, 2008, 18:05
hello

i wish i can play flashback on my ds

when i played the original, i remember there was a password protection at the end of the 1st level.

how can we write the password with the ds?

yes i tryed it too, but with snemulds the savegame bugs (games are saved but can't be loaded with flashback..)

instead of entering codes you can scroll through level codes on the password screen. Up/down for skill, left/right for level.

Troy(GPF)

ahahah
November 3rd, 2008, 22:50
hello

i tryed the game but it is very slow (unplayable) is it normal or have i made something wrong?

cualquiercosa327
January 14th, 2009, 18:37
Unfortunetly no, I have it ported and it works great, but the author of Another World has requested that newer versions based off of Gregory Montoir ported engine not be released anymore. I did a dreamcast version which I received permission to released with the commercial datafiles, that was a couple years ago and not sure how the author feels now I haven't tried to contact him.

Heart of the Alien was ported to the dreamcast if I remember right, so there is source code available somewhere but I haven't looked into that yet.

Troy(GPF)

Hello.I love also this game and i would like know if they are some news about if chachi has changed his opinion.I know they released a pc version (i prefer classic background) and also mobile versions.Are you contact him again?
I know also they are other great reverse engine (using 3do and new pc version) but has the same problem for making it available.

And other question,i saw a request about hota,none has tried port it?

thanks,i have enjoyed a lot flashback on my ds.
dani

cualquiercosa327
January 14th, 2009, 18:40
it works great for me.I finish it in the ds and no problem.
Only a few slowdown in some places (station if i dont remember bad)

great port,thanks!

Sektor
January 16th, 2009, 05:29
Some guy ported RAW (Another World) to Wii but I don't know if he got permission for that and I couldn't get his version working.

Flashback DS does need some improvements like speeding up cutscenes and making the text easier to read. The level and language select code from the PSP version would also be nice.