PDA

View Full Version : N64 Emulator Project - Need Coders! - N64 Emulator for Wii & Gamecube

wraggster
June 16th, 2007, 12:18
emu_kidid a respected coder in the Gamcube Scene has today announced a new project to get a team of coders together to deliver the Holy Grail to the Gamecube and Nintendo Wii. Heres the announcement in full of his Nintendo 64 Emulator for the Gamecube and Wii Project:

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/N64_Emulator_Project_for_Wii_Gamecube)

http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/N64_Emulator_Project_for_Wii_Gamecube

I'm looking for some seasoned coders in GC and or N64 to join a team that I'm proposing get down to business and code up a N64 emulator for the GC/Wii. I know that doing this as a one man army takes time, but if we have several experienced coders, it won't take very long at all to do.

The most time consuming parts would be the cpu and gpu ports. The ROM Loading routines, buffer managment for games over 16Mb into ARAM, saving, GUI, Pads etc are only trivial.

I'm not asking for the impossible, in-fact it's very possible, because we've all seen the OoT and Majoras Mask emulator from the Zelda bonus Disc, which emulates a rather CPU intensive game such as Majoras Mask rather well.

The project goal for me would be to get the emulator as good as, if not better, than the already released commercial N64 emu on the Zelda DVD.

That is:
256mbit Rom Loading
Full CPU/Audio/Video/Pads
DVD loading of Roms
SRAM etc.

To surpass that:
Allow all roms to attempt to run
Save State/SRAM etc to SD or Memcard
GUI, 512mbit rom support (tricky but possible)

If you're interested, please message me on these forums. Only determined and experienced coders please.

The Project will commence in Mid July, with or without support of anyone else. How long it will take will be determined on how many coders help out.

Please use this as the official development forum.

Laters, let the days of N64 emulation on GC/Wii begin

Let him know Here (http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/member.php?u=290)

YourStillWithMe
June 16th, 2007, 19:37
The Holy Grail you say??? naaaaaa try Playstation emulation! mwahaha. I'm kidding, the ability to play Perfect Dark or Smash Bros would be pretty ballin. Best of luck man

Gold Line
June 17th, 2007, 10:14
i hope this emu comes true.
i'm trying to get into the wii homebrew scene i just need to find a gamecube sd-load

Man
June 18th, 2007, 02:37
GET A MODCHIP !!! its sooo much easier. and i hope this works out, i cant find anything for n64 emulation at all.

mcdougall57
June 19th, 2007, 01:57
maybe when wii homebrew is available and the firmware is unlocked we can use the virtual console to play roms using something like popstation to convert the roms so they will play

Arion2064
June 26th, 2007, 21:30
i only wish i could help with that project

tmator
July 21st, 2007, 11:14
Interresting projetc, but i never code on GC, just on Linux, PS2 and PSP.
Iff you need help, contact me tmator @ gmail.com

wiggy fuzz
July 21st, 2007, 19:41
linux gamecube...

apparently the wii might have a seperate external harddrive comming soon, as i think it has usb ports. is there any reason the wii couldn't be used with a conventional external harddrive or an ipod or even the xbox 360 harddrive (which works with windows)

brujagio
August 28th, 2007, 04:50
I hope I'd be able to put roms on my SD card instead of having to burn an iso. Either way, I really hope this gets done.

CalcProgrammer1
August 28th, 2007, 21:34
Yeah, it sounds like a great idea, but the preferred method of GC loading these days is either AR SDLoad or SDML, so reading ROM images from the SD card is a must. Other than that, I hope this is successful because it sounds great.

Gnimm
August 29th, 2007, 03:53
Have Nintendo's updates really killed interest in creating these emulators?

Because you know, GBA and N64 really are the final frontiers. That's all we need.

One or the other would suit me just fine.

CalcProgrammer1
August 29th, 2007, 05:03
Since Nintendo can't update the GC, sure, create the emulators. I'm ordering my SDML for my GAMECUBE...I've (sadly) already updated my Wii to 3.0, ah well, have to wait for (hopes of) a downgrader, hopefully when the Action Replay for Wii comes out there will be something like the GC SDLoad method (and the Wii has a built in SD Port :P ).

I'd really like an n64 for Cube though, because playing the good old games on a TV is much better than looking at distorted, upscaled, low-res images on a computer monitor. As long as it loads ROM's from SD, I'm good (I don't have a DVD-RW drive, mine's only + :( so I can't burn DVD's for the GC :( )

Reppa
August 29th, 2007, 12:39
If you want to run gamecube/wii homebrew emulator with the 3.0 firmware on your wii, simply use this disc builder to create you own disc, you can add roms into BootDisk roms directory. Only if you have modchip ^^. I didn't try sd media launcher since the update

http://xreppa.free.fr/Wii-GC/Wii-GC-Emu-Mplayer-Config-BootDisk.7z

With it you can :

- Boot GCOS so boot other disc after (wiikey config for example)
- Include all gc emulator (just missing scumm)
- All Known GC homebrew (Include Quake, and Doom, must have a gecko for quake)
- Media PLayer and Media Player DVD
- DVD Dumper from emukikid (you rock emu ^^)
- SD Load

Have Fun

CalcProgrammer1
August 29th, 2007, 21:22
I know this is off topic, but is there any media player that works with the SDML, loading files off the SD? I'd like to use my GC as an mp3 or video player :)

Gnimm
August 30th, 2007, 07:12
I know this is off topic, but is there any media player that works with the SDML, loading files off the SD? I'd like to use my GC as an mp3 or video player :)

It's called Mortboot, and don't bother.

MP3s play okay, but videos are a total mess.

At best, they're extremely choppy.

The Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, and Xbox all have video solutions that work better than the Cube.

CalcProgrammer1
September 1st, 2007, 21:34
That's weird, usually the first thing consoles get is a media player...and there's nothing good for the Cube.

If I knew how decoders worked, I'd try porting one, but after I get an SD Media Launcher, the idiots at Datel said my order didn't go through so I'm not even going to try ordering from their site again.

160R
September 2nd, 2007, 20:29
Since Nintendo can't update the GC, sure, create the emulators. I'm ordering my SDML for my GAMECUBE...I've (sadly) already updated my Wii to 3.0, ah well, have to wait for (hopes of) a downgrader, hopefully when the Action Replay for Wii comes out there will be something like the GC SDLoad method (and the Wii has a built in SD Port :P ).

I'd really like an n64 for Cube though, because playing the good old games on a TV is much better than looking at distorted, upscaled, low-res images on a computer monitor. As long as it loads ROM's from SD, I'm good (I don't have a DVD-RW drive, mine's only + :( so I can't burn DVD's for the GC :( )

SDML is blocked for Wii for last firmware. Don't buy it. However you can still play in Wii with SD Gecko if you already own a modchip. Think about running an Action Replay backup or a SDLoad autoboot disc. Nintendo can't brick SD Gekko :D :thumbup: ;) :cool:

CalcProgrammer1
September 3rd, 2007, 06:31
I'm not intending to use it on a Wii...I'm buying the SDML for my GameCube (purple, DOL-001 GC hardware with Serial 2 and Digital AV port). I'm going to hold off on the Wii until a good method for real homebrew appears (that doesn't involve internal mods, I can solder and stuff, but I don't want to have a modded console). The SDML is the seemingly only all-in-one solution, new AR's can't enter codes (though I think I found a place to buy the old kind, which I'm going to buy along with my SDML...Datel messed up and terminated my order so I am NOT buying from there again). And I tried to find SD Gekko adapters but I only found them on eBay.

RPGFREAK
January 16th, 2009, 03:47
can't wait, the Emu for my Wii is slower than hell.

Oh, and you up there ^ There is another way to put Roms on your wii. Just download the twighlight hack and it patches you Zelda save file. It's quick and easy. It's how I do it! :thumbup:

ell1010
June 14th, 2009, 15:49
cant wait untill this is finished