PDA

View Full Version : Seriell to USB

matrix681
June 16th, 2007, 19:07
Hi!

i read a lot about MapThis! and would try it. But the problem is, i have a USB-GPSreceiver.
As i read, there is no support for USB-Devices.

So my question: is there an adapter to get my USB-Device on the seriell-port of my PSP?

kR
Ahmet

MIB.42
June 17th, 2007, 09:31
Hi!

i read a lot about MapThis! and would try it. But the problem is, i have a USB-GPSreceiver.
As i read, there is no support for USB-Devices.

So my question: is there an adapter to get my USB-Device on the serial-port of my PSP?

kR
Ahmet

Even if there was one, you'd need to still write the driver for it on the PSP. I guess if you have the source code - say for Linux -, that could give a quick start on the protocol.
Oh wait, even the Low Speed comm on the USB is 1.5Mbps, while you can't get more than 115Kbps on the PSP ( or even less, a lot less ), so the answer is NO. A very special electronics would need to be designed to deal with the temporal shifts and the signal levels... :eek: Sorry...

matrix681
June 17th, 2007, 16:42
Hmm, i dont know much things about this kind of hardware, but it makes sense :)

can you maybe explain to me ( a noob :) ) also, why the 290 works on the USB-Port, but no other USB-GPS-Device?

thanks a lot

deniska
June 18th, 2007, 05:57
can you maybe explain to me ( a noob :) ) also, why the 290 works on the USB-Port, but no other USB-GPS-Device?

thanks a lot
PSP-290 was specifically designed to work with PSP.. and Sony did provide the driver for it...

MIB.42
June 18th, 2007, 18:03
PSP-290 was specifically designed to work with PSP.. and Sony did provide the driver for it...

Just to add to it, generally there are 2 type of USB devices; Hosts and Client devices. There can be connection between hosts and clients only, not between 2 clients. The PSP was designed to be a Client device ( you plug it in a computer and it shows up as a mass-storage-device, so that you can copy programs to/from it. ). The PSP was not designed to be a mini computer, thus can not accept Client devices. All GPS receivers etc. are Client devices, as they were designed to be connected to a computer. Both the little PSP camera and the PSP-290 have a very special (bridge) chip in them which makes them Host devices to be able to connect to the PSP, thus - as Deniska pointed it out - they were specifically designed to work with the PSP. ...as far as I know...

More on USB Host / Client devices:
http://www.mypdacafe.com/articles.php?id=219

matrix681
June 19th, 2007, 13:35
Thank you very much

Codaz
June 19th, 2007, 16:45
Lol the PSP-290 is a host device ? Maybe we should open it to see what's inside (nothing haha)

It's soo small and then a host chip :O !