PDA

View Full Version : 5 Releases That Would Be Awesome

wraggster
June 16th, 2007, 21:10
Since the PSP Homebrew scene began (we were here a year before the scene) we have seen some excellent releases that number over 1000 by some of the very best coders in the Emulation, Homebrew and Hacking Communities.

Does this mean that the PSP is over the hill and not as exciting as it once was, the answer to that is a big no, yes the homebrew releases have slowed down compared to the craziness of up to 15 releases daily (which believe me was damn hard keeping up with) but theres still so much to do on the PSP.

Heres some items that would be great to see worked on or indeed released for the first time.

PS1 Emulation

The Custom firmware which has a hack of Sonys PS1 Emulator is all well and good but to have a fully legit and full speed PS1 emulator would be a killer release. (The release of PS1P and Yoshis PS1 emulator broke our members online records on those days.)

Nintendo 64 Emulation

StrmnNrmn continues to work on the N64 emulator for the PSP and is now the main emulator project on the PSP. Full speed and major compatability is a dream we are seeing unfolding before our eyes.

Map This Supporting Tom Tom and Others

This is something i dont know is possible but if Deniska`s excellent Map this program for the PSP`s GPS Receiver could support GPS apps such as Tom Tom then it could be awesome for the PSP Scene, unless Deniska himself releases an Homebrew version of Tom Tom/Co pilot ?

A PSP Unbricker

The news of Sonys PSP Unbricker being released onto the internet has caused a major stir, the investigation on how to unbrick and maybe an hardware release of amateur unbricker kits could be a future release with software to accompany it.

PSP Downgraders

The last firmware to be easily downgradeable was v2.80 and if your lucky then v3.03 (with unpatched GTA LCS GAME) but a new downgrader for consoles up to the latest firmware without the need for a certain game would be awesome.

Thats just a few of the things i would like to see anyone got their faves then answer via comments.

Mr.Denny
June 16th, 2007, 21:21
Did anyone say Sega CD?

splodger15
June 16th, 2007, 21:25
Yeh a new downgrader would be cool

xg917
June 16th, 2007, 21:33
all would be awsome. cant wait till that day..

starogre
June 16th, 2007, 21:34
i want an snes emulator, one that doesn't have to be put up to 2-3 frameskip for all the games, and make them glitchy, like yoshis island and mario rpg to name a couple

also kirby superstar and starfox dont even work-a couple of the best games on there

it also needs a simple menu like nes, gbc, and gba, instead of crap anime backgrounds, too many graphics make it take long to load, and many of the options cause glitches, even sleep mode

SNES EMULATION TO THE FULLEST IS A BIGGY FOR ME

gr42178
June 16th, 2007, 21:37
i want an snes emulator, one that doesn't have to be put up to 2-3 frameskip for all the games, and make them glitchy, like yoshis island and mario rpg to name a couple

also kirby superstar and starfox dont even work-a couple of the best games on there

it also needs a simple menu like nes, gbc, and gba, instead of crap anime backgrounds, too many graphics make it take long to load, and many of the options cause glitches, even sleep mode

SNES EMULATION TO THE FULLEST IS A BIGGY FOR ME

I aggree, but I dont think anyone is working on this are they?

Mr.Denny
June 16th, 2007, 21:38
Ok, what I truly hope for is...

A Sega CD emu,
A full speed Jaguar emu,
A user friendly Dosbox version,
Full speed N64,
Full speed MAME

;)

splodger15
June 16th, 2007, 21:41
^ ^
There all good but they dont move the scene forward to beating the War On Sony.

The unbricker and a new downgrader would finish this and we win.

Mr.Denny
June 16th, 2007, 21:43
Meh, "The war on Sony" is overrated.

Let's just enjoy what we have and work on more emulators I say.

Veskgar
June 16th, 2007, 22:06
1.) PSP downgrader - Lets face it, SONY was really fast on the damage control after the 3.03 downgrader and now with firmware up to 3.50, new downgrading methods could really help keep the scene thriving with growth. With the release of the leaked "unbricker" files, hopefully a homebrew workaround could be developed so that we could maybe brick 3.50 firmware PSP's, then unbrick them and install a lower firmware such as 1.50. Then of course, the door should be open for Dark_AleX OE custom firmware.

2.) Emulators - I always say one of the best things about PSP homebrew is the jaw dropping emulation possibilities that brilliant coders such as Exophase, StrmnNrmn, YoYoFr, NJ, and many others have given us. Unfortunately aside from Daedalus, emulator releases and updates have slowed or altogether stopped for some emulators. Personally, I would like to see updates to Snes9xTYL, PCEP or Hue, gpSP, Daedalus, and others. Also, like others stated, why not have Sega CD, Turbo Duo, and Atari Jaguar emulators? I know most people will say those platforms are not as good but I think the more the better. There is definitely interest. So hopefully we will see an upsurge emulators again soon.

3.) Custom Firmware - There is no doubt that Dark_AleX has created a PSP homebrew revolution with his OE custom firmware. As newer firmwares are released by SONY with perhaps more preventative measures, I just hope that the magic can be kept alive with future OE releases.

4.) Storage - As if the PSP was not already an amazing multimedia device. Homebrew really expands what the PSP can do. Unfortunately we are limited to just 4GB of storage (8GB if you want a slower SONY stick) and that is just not enough. With memory cards expected to hold as much as 32GB in the not too distant future, more internal memory card storage would perfectly compliment the PSP homebrew scene.

5.) Collaboration & Contribution - Many great developments and releases have happened from collaboration between talented dev teams and coders. I would love to see the scene continue to grow into more of a community where the amazing talent and insight can be shared. On the contribution side of things, I think a lot of coders don't get enough support or help. Whether it be from volunteers, donations, etc. We all have lives and responsibilities so any extra help we can give will definitely be helpful.

mike_jmg
June 16th, 2007, 22:30
the ones on the post are definitely top five

but I will really like to see some sort of infrastructure online gaming homebrew aplication (cause i donīt understand xlink kai very well, also i donīt have a router so i cannot use that exploit)

Buddy4point0
June 16th, 2007, 22:54
a pops hack that allows multiplayer wireless would be awsome

Sonicboy 101
June 16th, 2007, 22:55
a pops hack that allows multiplayer wireless would be awsome

Yeah, that would be great.

Tesseract
June 16th, 2007, 23:04
I think I'm not alone in wishing for a Media streaming option that works like LocationFree/RemotePlay. Currently, PiMPStreamer's about it. While it's great for around the house, it's no good at miscellaneous WiFi hotspots due to lack of DNS support.

HumanIce
June 16th, 2007, 23:14
umm.. GBA, SNES, neo-geo?
these reasons were also lame.. kind of.

2D consoles are just as good as 3D ya know!
and doom-PSP also rocks because I like playing on doom few times.. when I'm away from my PC..
damn why do I like playing on my PSP so much.. because I can play KKND krossfire, resident evil 2, resident evil 3, resident evil survivor, quake 2, bloody roar 2, gex enter the gecko, nightmare creatures, nightmare creatures 2, abe's oddysee, intelligent qube, silent hill, tekken 3 now portable!, DS bit**ez! (DS fanboys, in other words)

drEDN4wt
June 16th, 2007, 23:33
how about a wifi walkytalky.

using either the headset mic or the psp-camara mic,
ad-hoc mode for short distances,
infrastructure mode for long,
maybe even with video if you use the camara,
wpa ofc,

kinda like voip but more so.

Tesseract
June 17th, 2007, 01:26
Ad-Hoc's range is fairly limited... You'd be out of WiFi range long before you'd be out of shouting distance ;)

VoIP is definitely something that needs to have more work put into. It's nifty that Jajah has stepped up to the plate making their web-based VoIP PSP compatible, but a neat little homebrew package that's Skype (or others...) compatible would be sweetness.

SONY's said they watch the homebrew scene, so perhaps if a REALLY snazzy homebrew VoIP app shows up, it'll make its way into a future OFW.

akuma2000
June 17th, 2007, 01:38
I guess I must be different than most here because I am pretty satisfied with the state of the emulators that are already on the PSP. They all work just fine for me they play every game I throw at them just fine.

I love the PS1 emulation that is already out, every game I like seems to work great with no problems.

The two things that I could think of to add to the PSP would be for the N64 emulator to keep getting better. Also a full speed MUGEN engine would be cool. Other than that I am really happy with the PSP.

jmendes
June 17th, 2007, 02:12
all i want now is MAME on PSP

gunntims0103
June 17th, 2007, 02:34
1)Mugen on PSP
As we have seen just recently a new build of mugen on the psp called PSP InfinityCat Mugen was released. Its full speed when only used with KFM, but the inporting of other characters causes various issues such as slow downs, ingame glitches, and various crashes. We have seen ShugenDo on the psp as well. The progress is okay, but not solid enough to really do anything on it yet. Openmugen was seen very early on, but its not even close to being playable. A perfected version of Mugen on the PSP would simply be a dream come true for many of us homebrew fans, i would think many would agree with me on this. I would say by early next year we mght just see a perfected Mugen. But thats just being hopeful on my part.

2)N64 emulator on PSP
As of right now StrmnNrmn is doing a stunning job on this project. Early on in the beginning of the PSP's homebrew scene many seen this as close to impossible and would never happen. PSmonkey then jumped on the scene with his release and we all became hopefuls. StrmnNrmn seems to be the only person as of now still working on a N64 emulator. He updates regularly which is great and the progress he's gotten thus far is simply astonishing. I hope to see his emulator full speed very soon.

3)PSP downgraders
Right now firmwares up to 3.03 can be downgraded, which is great for the homebrew scene as a whole. It means more users can enjoy the already great scene that the PSP homebrew community has put together. We are all very hopeful that new exploits will come about for higher firmwares very soon.

4)CPS3 on PSP????
Supposedly CPS3 has been hacked into. Im not to sure on the details but a possible emulator may be seen later on in the PSP future. If infact a emulator is seen on the PC, im sure NJ will be there to bring more arcade goodness to the PSP.

5)SmashGPSP completed
Its been quite some time since this project has been worked on. The source code can literally be found almost everywhere. I think its about time this project got updated.

Shiesty
June 17th, 2007, 03:58
something that lets you play videos without converting and resizing them would rock my world

philage
June 17th, 2007, 06:54
I would love to see the following, however, im more than happy with what we have tbh.

Mame.
Multi format video player.
A Good IRC Program.

F9zDark
June 17th, 2007, 07:38
This post is... Well odd. I mean how more legit can one get with a Sony made PS1 emulator? It works at full speed, works with a lot of PS1 games and didn't take 6 months to get one game running at 2 FPS...

And Map This supporting Tom Tom? Thats just redundant. Since, at least from my observations, all Tom Toms are GPS navigational devices and not just a GPS receiver.

Veskgar
June 17th, 2007, 10:57
This post is... Well odd. I mean how more legit can one get with a Sony made PS1 emulator? It works at full speed, works with a lot of PS1 games and didn't take 6 months to get one game running at 2 FPS...

In regards to PS1 emulation I completely agree. I would much prefer to use OE firmware with POPS and inherit POPS improvements with future OE custom firmware releases. The time & effort spent on a PS1 emulator from scratch with dynarec and other bells & whistles could be better spent on something that the homebrew scene does not already have.

But we must also look at it more objectively from perhaps a coders point of view. For a lot of coders, its more about the challenge and accomplishment. So if a coder(s) decide to code a PS1 emulator because they feel that is a more comfortable project to undertake based on their background and expertise, who are we to tell them that we don't need it because SONY already gave us POPS?

Take me for example. I like web design. And if I wanted to make a fan or tribute site it would likely be related to PSP homebrew. Sure there are already many sites dedicated to PSP homebrew but it is an area in which I have a lot of experience and passion for. So we shouldn't discourage coders and potential homebrew contributors before their ideas get off the ground.

Just my 2 cents. Battle weary Veskgar goes to sleep now...

cory1492
June 17th, 2007, 11:31
I'm surprised none of these hopeful homebrews target the camera but do target GPS... currently one can't even use the PSP as a PC webcam, though I for one think it should be possible.

Chackan
June 17th, 2007, 15:44
A Sega Saturn emulator! Would love that to happen =|

Besides, Ps1 emulation is already possible with OE firmwares :S

the_eternal_dark
June 17th, 2007, 16:48
Linux
Unbricker
Messenger/VOIP service
Duke3D update (save/load fix)
more Infrastructure/Adhoc multiplayer games

Basil Zero