PDA

View Full Version : PSP-PDA v1.3 with IR keyboard support !

zx-81
June 17th, 2007, 21:53
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/psppda-snap-1.3.jpg

Hi all,

Here is a new release of PSP-PDA, the PDA applications for PSP.

For those who haven't seen previous versions of this great peace of homebrew, PSP-PDA is a set of PDA programs including notepad, music player, image viewer, address book, calendar, calculator, and clock.

It has been written by Rob_psp. It is distributed under GNU licence, and sources are provided.

My contribution to this projet is MINOR, all credits should remain to Rob_psp !

What's new then ? it now supports IR-keyboard :) !

The IR keyboard part has been tested using a Targus Universal IR Wireless keyboard. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTargus-PA870U-Universal-Wireless-Keyboard%2Fdp%2FB00009EBYA&tag=nokiangagenew-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325)

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Enjoy,

Zx.

DIGG THIS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_PDA_App_Supports_IR_Keyboard)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/PSP_PDA_App_Supports_IR_Keyboard

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
June 17th, 2007, 22:24
great work zx81, pity that sony didnt release a keyboard for the PSP :)

lilbart90
June 17th, 2007, 23:21
i have the palm one wireless keyboard and i tried it with pspda and the keymap is messed up. can somebody who has a working keymap for the Palm IR Keyboard please post it, i really reallly neeed it

pspfan
June 18th, 2007, 00:44
Thank you very much zx for adding IR keyboard support to so many apps that need it! You are awesome!

hatrix
June 18th, 2007, 02:48
i have the palm one wireless keyboard and i tried it with pspda and the keymap is messed up. can somebody who has a working keymap for the Palm IR Keyboard please post it, i really reallly neeed it

ZX-81 are your programs compatible with Palm Universal Keyboards?

I tried and I don't think it is working?

eternityoffate
June 18th, 2007, 06:11
i just figured this out so i thought i'd share it. if you have pikey installed, uninstall it by removing it from the flash0 and this app will run if you've been having problems. all these applications work wonderfully! no longer need to bring my laptop or calculator to classes. thank you so much zx-81!

Video_freak
June 18th, 2007, 06:12
Nice! I've been waiting for something like this for a while. Thanks a bunch.

Gizmo356
June 18th, 2007, 06:17
Nice! I've been waiting for something like this for a while. Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, me too. This is awesome.

PS: I love your "How do you kill that which has on life?" sig thing. xD

hatrix
June 19th, 2007, 07:21
i just figured this out so i thought i'd share it. if you have pikey installed, uninstall it by removing it from the flash0 and this app will run if you've been having problems. all these applications work wonderfully! no longer need to bring my laptop or calculator to classes. thank you so much zx-81!

Hey which keyboard are you using?

lilbart90
June 19th, 2007, 20:32

im in the same situation as u hatrix, i dont have a good keymap for the palmone keyboard, i did uninstall the pikey from my flash0 but that didnt change the fact that my keymap is off. Like delete is up and enter is K or something like that, its all messed up

IndianCheese
June 19th, 2007, 21:16
How pimp would you look with a keyboard "attached" to your PSP sitting in a coffee shop or something? This is totally awesome, but I don't see it as something I would use. Damn, I wish my school would let me use it!

eternityoffate
June 20th, 2007, 02:36

I'm using the targus keyboard and all the applications work fine for me after i sorted out the pikey problem.

r7walker
June 20th, 2007, 03:36
Just joined by looking for just such a program. It looks awesome. When I installed all I get is a blinking currupt. Any ideas? Thanks

horizonjob
July 17th, 2007, 02:28
Question: Does the keyboard support work for apps other than those in PSP-PDA? In other words, can I use it for Google Mail? If so, I can ditch my laptop for short trips and just read and reply to email using my psp and a portable keyboard.

The typing function in the PSP is okay, but not great for longer messages.

Thanks!

pspfan
July 17th, 2007, 06:23
horizonjob,
zx-81 (the developer who released this) also released an addition to the program PSPoste (an email client) to have IR keyboard support. Search for PSPoste v6.1 (and yes it has support for Gmail).

horizonjob
July 17th, 2007, 14:38
Thanks, pspfan. I did go to the pspposte site and now I'm wondering if I'm out of luck because I slavishly updated the firmware to the current version. It made sense at the time, since I'm using my psp more and more for Web surfing and watching movies and TV shows on trips (for which I need the 4GB support). The upgrade to 3.11 hasn't been an issue until now.

Anyway, can I get IR keyboard support with the official 3.11?

I'd even considering getting another psp and controlling my firmware upgrades better, but I wouldn't want to lose the functionality I need for listening to most audio types, using a 4GB stick, having Flash, and so on.

If I am out of luck on the IR keyboard compatability with 3.11, does it make sense for me to try again with a new psp - in other words, is there a way that I can get all of the functionality I need and still be able to use psppda (does that work with 3.11?) and psposte?

Thanks for your help.

zx-81
July 17th, 2007, 15:10
IR keyboard doesn't work with official sony firmware, and with 3.11 in particular.

You can't run homebrew using 3.11 SCE

I wonder why you didn't downgrade to 1.5 and then upgrade to a custom firmware such as 3.40-OE. You will have all the 3.40 features + all homebrew / Ir keyboard capabilities.

horizonjob
July 17th, 2007, 17:33
I didn't know enough to do it. I'm still learning. I only stumbled onto the homebrew discussions after realizing how nice a keyboard would be....

Anyway, am I past the point of no return with 3.11? Hey, for $169, I'd get another PSP that I could use for homebrew. What's the latest Sony firmware I can have where I can still downgrade to 1.5?

Thanks again for your help. It amazes me how much you can do with a device that sells for 1/10 of many UMPC's. Sure, you can't do spreadsheets, but it really seems to be the ultimate thin client.

zx-81
July 17th, 2007, 18:31
I didn't know enough to do it. I'm still learning. I only stumbled onto the homebrew discussions after realizing how nice a keyboard would be....

:)

Anyway, am I past the point of no return with 3.11?

For now you can downgrade up to 3.50 ... after you can't. For 3.50 you need the game lumines 1 (see http://www.noobz.eu for details)

Hey, for $169, I'd get another PSP that I could use for
homebrew. What's the latest Sony firmware I can have where I can still downgrade to 1.5?

Thanks again for your help. It amazes me how much you can do with a device that sells for 1/10 of many UMPC's. Sure, you can't do spreadsheets, but it really seems to be the ultimate thin client.

There are very few PDA / Office applications, and psp-pda is far from what you can expect from a real PDA software/system environement.

horizonjob
July 18th, 2007, 04:08
One last question. Where's the best/safest place to get 3.40-OE and psp-pda? Thanks.

zx-81
July 18th, 2007, 07:55
One last question. Where's the best/safest place to get 3.40-OE and psp-pda? Thanks.

I suggest you to find a 3.50 -> 1.5 downgrader ready to use zip package with all required files (~ 13.3 Mb) there are many on the internet.

For the 3.40-OE installer, you will also find ready to use zip package (~ 17.4Mb)

pspfan
July 18th, 2007, 10:24
DCEmu (here) is a good place to download them. There's also other sites but I'd probably be frowned upon if I mentioned them here (particularly one of them).

So, to do what you want (use an IR Keyboard for emailing on Gmail on your PSP), you'll need to downgrade with the 3.50 downgrader that zx-81 showed you (I'm not sure if you've already done this). Then upgrade to 3.40 OE-A (or I might suggest 3.51 M33 because that is actually the latest firmware and it's hacked to have homebrew support, so if you want to be on the latest Sony firmware and have the latest Sony features like you mentioned, 3.51 M33 might be for you). Then install zx-81's mod of PSPoste which is v6.1 (I don't know if it's on the PSPoste website since zx-81 is the one who added the IR keyboard support). Then lastly get an IR keyboard if you don't already have one (the reccomended one is the Targus Universal Wireless IR Keyboard). Once you've done all that, then you should be able to email away with a keyboard on your PSP using Gmail

NoQuarter
July 18th, 2007, 11:55
Zx-81 is there any chance of you fixing the inability of psp-pda to launch eboots?It was supposed to be able to do that but it never worked,it would save a little time not having to go into another program to launch an eboot.

pspfan
July 20th, 2007, 22:37

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69190

Well, now it can do spreadsheets :p!

zanco
July 24th, 2007, 03:03
Great app!
But again, one last question. When you mean "IR Keyboard Support" do you mean the ability to use the keys of the IR_keyboard to type letters and numbers or just the ability to use the keys as a substitute for the Square, Triangle, Cross, Circle ... etc.. buttons?
Because in my case, the keyboard is just a substitute of the Cross, Triangle, etc... button. I would be great if we could make it so that the keyboard prints a, b, c etc.. on the screen.

Again, thanks for your work!

---------------
Never mind: Problem solved.

The problem was: I had Pikey installed and it launched itself automatically when I was running homebrew thus rendering the keyboard a direct substitute of the PSP keys. What needs to be done to fix it is to disable Pikey. Don't do this solely via the Recovery menu. Do so by holding the "SELECT" button when launching the Hombrew app :P
Great WORK Zx-81!!
Maybe it will be wiser if you were to put this little "SELECT THING FOR PieKey" in the Readme.txt file.

again, thanks! Keep it up!

zx-81
July 24th, 2007, 07:49
Maybe it will be wiser if you were to put this little "SELECT THING FOR PieKey" in the Readme.txt file.

Yes you're right i will add it in future release (if there is any).

alexftirolese
March 31st, 2008, 00:27
hey there

ook so i downloaded this psppda to my psp and the icon is here and then it looks like its going to boot when i click on it but then it dosent boot it tells me soemthing like game can not boot how do i get it to work?

zx-81
March 31st, 2008, 08:12
you need a custom firmware. This homebrew works only with FAT PSP using fw15 addon ...

liamgould
April 17th, 2008, 19:27
i no ty i love it

lee

guymelef
June 16th, 2008, 07:58
I posted this somewhere else, but I think it would be more appropriate to post in this topic as this is the program I want to run.

ATM I have no interest in using the keyboard outside of this office suite, maybe the web but probably not as the psp's browser doesn't let access my online classes or emails, not mention VPN's.

Anyone interested in complaining about getting a prx utility to create keyboard ini's?

I could make one for palm pilots, or IR enabled PC computers with VB.net I think if I spent some time looking at the format of the ini's and matching the call code for the keyboard, unfortunately I don't see that as being possible because the ini's don't ask for a key code, and even if they did there is no telling if they would be the exact same (101 key as compared to 151 key standards (just an example))

Ultimately I think the best use for a program to profile any IR keyboard for the PSP would have to be a psp based prx or pbp utility to walk through all 102 standard buttons (it should only take 5 minutes tops to go through them all).

The only snag would be if your IR device is acceptable (i.e. no IRDA support (yet?), and of course no RF support ever, no USB support ever, but serial cables are a possibility, but I heard it had to be connected to a computer which would come close to negating any usefulness).

There are cheap keyboards out there so take a gamble, if you get a bad that doesn't work for the PSP just sell it anyone with a PDA, or some other such device, or keep it as a wireless keyboard for your computer, or pawn it for some guitar strings.

Anyone seen christuserloser?

guymelef
June 16th, 2008, 22:10
After looking up some information I decided to retract most of my statement.

IR devices are not as simply as ps2 or even gic compliant devices.

IrDa devices are even worse, a lot has been done to push IrDa keyboards to PSP unfortunately a universal profiler is a long ways off.

The hex that comes off some of the devices are what looks to be encrypted much like the gamecube AR cheats are encrypted. (not EXACTLY, but you get the picture).

This whole propietory remote signal stuff is extremely gay.

I am hoping for a little more from a serial cable perspective, or if someone REALLY wants to do something cool, then figure out how to create a usb host that can link another usb device to the psp, but even as a peripherial device the PSP has some capacity to have information sent to it.

sorry for the hopeful post

RDemusX
August 2nd, 2008, 03:23
Hello ... I have a Sprint IR Keyboard, and it works just fine with PSP Write, but not with this APP. Anyone know of a fix for this, or is it not supported?

Thanks
RDX