PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Nintendo Working on iPhone Games

wraggster
June 19th, 2007, 20:44
via gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mama-miaaaa%21/rumor-nintendo-working-on-iphone-games-270204.php)

An eyebrow-raising rumor has it that Nintendo and Apple have teamed up to bring games to the iPhone, with $29 Nintendo games coming to the touchscreen device within a few months of launch. The games are said to use a touchscreen d-pad for control, although what kinds of games the big N will make aren't made clear.

OK, what?

Using a touchscreen keyboard will be annoying enough, but trying to play videogames using touchscreen controls? That sounds downright infuriating. And since when did Nintendo make games for anything but Nintendo systems? And don't they already have a portable device with a touchscreen that's insanely popular? There's not a lot that makes sense in this rumor, and as much as the Apple and Nintendo fanboy populations would explode in ecstasy if it happened, it seems like a big steamy pile of wishful thinking to me. We'll see, I guess.

Homerun
June 19th, 2007, 20:54
Wow.......That be weird.................

Dogmatic1
June 19th, 2007, 21:05
Actually, I think the iPhone would be quite a good mobile games platform (in comparison to the games featured on other mobile phones and the iPod); however, I don't see Nintendo developing games for an Apple device.

In a similar style to games on iPod, the iPhone could see some 3rd party games, but Apple hasn't been very supportive of 3rd party developers for the iPhone so far.

Kulawend
June 19th, 2007, 21:13
I play Nintendo games on my modded iPod all the time :P

But I really wonder what kind of mods will come out for the iPhone.

Veskgar
June 19th, 2007, 21:40
Sure, playing traditional games as we know them on the iPhone would be annoying. However, Nintendo is obviously about innovation and new ways to develop games.

I am not sure I believe the rumor but I think if Apple were to partner with anyone, Nintendo would be the best bet. I think Nintendo would do the iPhone right and further change the way we think of gaming. I remember a great quote and ironically enough it may have come from Steve Jobs. It basically talks about how you should give people what they don't even know they want. Meaning sure, games on the iPhone initially sound pointless, but if done right, we will be given something we didn't even think or know we wanted.

I do very much want an iPhone and it will be interesting to see if any sort of homebrew scene develops for it. Even though the iPhone is nice, it still could not ever take the place of my PSP or DS Lite for portable gaming.

Dogmatic1
June 19th, 2007, 22:40
I remember a great quote and ironically enough it may have come from Steve Jobs. It basically talks about how you should give people what they don't even know they want. Meaning sure, games on the iPhone initially sound pointless, but if done right, we will be given something we didn't even think or know we wanted.

I think I've heard it from Jobs, but he may have been quoting someone else. I believe it was in an interview and he was saying you can't ask the public what they want, because by the time you've delivered, they want something else; you have to think ahead and give them something they had no idea they wanted until they saw it.

Cheatsurfer
June 20th, 2007, 03:43
Nintendo making Apple games? I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe Palm might be interested...

skater9269
June 20th, 2007, 04:27
Thats just dumb, theres no way nintendo would make games for the iphone unless apple and nintendo merge.

Adrenalin
June 20th, 2007, 15:11
i doubt it. ipods are stpid for games and the iphone is stupid too. hell, apple is a stupid company for tools.

gutbub
June 20th, 2007, 18:42
i wouldnt buy a phone for games, i'd buy it to talk to other people. also, why would nintendo make games for another company's device? o yeah, thats right, they wouldnt. you said it is a rumor, and so far as im concerned, thats all it will ever be.

paul1991
June 20th, 2007, 18:42
Wern't gamecube games supposed ti be compatible with the Mac G4....
Wern't apple and Nintendo going to merge a few years back...
Ok whose dumber:
The people that keep coming up with these Apple Nintendo Rumours?
Or:
Us For believing every single one?

Dogmatic1
June 20th, 2007, 21:04
Wern't gamecube games supposed ti be compatible with the Mac G4....

Not heard that one. I've heard the 360 games being compatible with G5s though... which was sort of true: the IBM processor destined for the 360 was obviously closer in architecture design to the IBM processors in the PowerMac than anything else at the time, so all the early demos where made and played on Macs (Microsoft had placed one of the largest orders for Apple hardware in order to get them to Xbox developers... rather amusing really). Yes I know this is very old, and well-known news; don't feel you have to point it out.

Wern't apple and Nintendo going to merge a few years back... What? When? I missed that... and being a loyal customer to both companies, I'm sure I would have heard about it. The most I heard was Nintendo was using some of Apples marketing tactics (the Macs are different/Wii is different thing, the name Wii being very similar in style and purpose to iPod, and the Wii's physical design looking "Ive-y")

Ok whose dumber:
The people that keep coming up with these Apple Nintendo Rumours?
Or:
Us For believing every single one?

I suggest you are the dumbest for visiting some very dodgy news sites, and then believing them. The people behind the rumors aren't dumb; they just like to laugh at you for believing them.

Overall though, I don't think this rumor is as outrageous as you make out. Sure it all sounds fairly unlikely, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the last we hear of it... but then; Apple is attracting more games developers for OS X... and if, for whatever reason Nintendo wanted to port SMB, or develop some new software for the iPhone, I'm sure Jobs would be very accommodating. As for why Nintendo would want to, well I couldn't say. Perhaps they'd like to see iTunes accessibility from the Wii, the ability to interact with the new (unreleased, and unannounced) iPod as their form of multimedia on Wii, or simply be associated with the iPhone. Who knows. It may happen, it may not. I'm not holding my breath though.

zhak-zigil
June 21st, 2007, 11:00
In 1992, Nintendo did develop PC-Edutainment Games for the CD-I, "Hotel Mario".

So why shouldn´t Big N work together with Apple?

yaustar
June 22nd, 2007, 13:02
In 1992, Nintendo did develop PC-Edutainment Games for the CD-I, "Hotel Mario".
No, they sub-licensed the Mario IP. Someone else developed the game.

shark12er
June 23rd, 2007, 06:42
The PDA phones have been about along while now all with touchscreen tech. and each new one has improved sencitivity. I got no doubts that the iphone will let us down. Ive hear that there will be 5 colours aswell. Exciting stuff

http://www.mp4-converter.net/iphone-converter/

paul1991
June 24th, 2007, 18:47
Not heard that one. I've heard the 360 games being compatible with G5s though... which was sort of true: the IBM processor destined for the 360 was obviously closer in architecture design to the IBM processors in the PowerMac than anything else at the time, so all the early demos where made and played on Macs (Microsoft had placed one of the largest orders for Apple hardware in order to get them to Xbox developers... rather amusing really). Yes I know this is very old, and well-known news; don't feel you have to point it out.

What? When? I missed that... and being a loyal customer to both companies, I'm sure I would have heard about it. The most I heard was Nintendo was using some of Apples marketing tactics (the Macs are different/Wii is different thing, the name Wii being very similar in style and purpose to iPod, and the Wii's physical design looking "Ive-y")

I suggest you are the dumbest for visiting some very dodgy news sites, and then believing them. The people behind the rumors aren't dumb; they just like to laugh at you for believing them.

Overall though, I don't think this rumor is as outrageous as you make out. Sure it all sounds fairly unlikely, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the last we hear of it... but then; Apple is attracting more games developers for OS X... and if, for whatever reason Nintendo wanted to port SMB, or develop some new software for the iPhone, I'm sure Jobs would be very accommodating. As for why Nintendo would want to, well I couldn't say. Perhaps they'd like to see iTunes accessibility from the Wii, the ability to interact with the new (unreleased, and unannounced) iPod as their form of multimedia on Wii, or simply be associated with the iPhone. Who knows. It may happen, it may not. I'm not holding my breath though.

Just because there have been (obviously incorrect) announcements that you have missed does not mean you have any excuse for attacking me.

Believe what you will. Leave me alone.