PDA

View Full Version : Do You Import Games and Consoles ?

wraggster
June 19th, 2007, 22:42
With the legal action against Lik Sang last year and other stores who sold PSP Games and Consoles it stopped a lot of stores Selling PSP Games and Consoles to Europe.

Luckily the likes of Success HK (http://www.superufo.com/?aff_id=24) and Divineo (http://www.divineo.cn/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=) still sell PS3 & PSP Consoles and Games from Asia to anywhere in the world.

The benefits of importing are much cheaper consoles for example a £400 PS3 in the UK can be brought for £275 at SuccessH (http://www.superufo.com/product_html/Playstation_3_Sony_Playstation_3_20GB_Japanese_Ver sion.html?aff_id=24)K. Games also nearly half the price in asia what they sell for in Europe.

USA folks might import because different coloured consoles arent available to them.

so Do You Import Games and Consoles ?

DIGG THIS and SPREAD THE WORD (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Do_You_Import_Games_and_Consoles)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Do_You_Import_Games_and_Consoles

jonezybaby
June 19th, 2007, 22:52
ive only ever imports 2 jap psps and 3 usa psp games, i dont make a habit of it but thos games arnt avaliable in europe and the psp's i couldnt wait for euro release!!

sfaok
June 19th, 2007, 23:05
Since I own a ton of US/NTSC PS1 and PS2 games I'm probably going to go with a US PS3 when i take the plunge. However, upon viewing those sites I could only find one offering the Japanese model.

So, to anyone in the UK that has imported a US PS3, where did you get it from and what do you consider the most reliable place to get one from ?

Demolition49
June 19th, 2007, 23:06
i have imported 2 psp's before, and a few games but i avoid doing so, i only do it if i can get hold of it in my country (uk) and i will be importing manhunt 2.

Veskgar
June 19th, 2007, 23:07
I've not yet imported anything yet. I was thinking about importing a silver-metallic PSP, but with no guarantees I'll get a downgradable one I am holding off. It is a damn shame that SONY for some dumb reason never released other colors in North America. It would have helped the PSP's sales some.

I've scratched my head in disbelief many times at that strange move by SONY. I can only assume that they over-manufactured the BLACK PSP's for North America and are trying to sell off most of that inventory before releasing colored PSP's.

I will always want a silver-metallic PSP. But only if I can use it with homebrew and install custom OE firmware on it.

If I could read Japanese there would be a ton of games I'd be importing. But unfortunately I can't.

mexicansnake
June 19th, 2007, 23:15
I imported my blue psp, then someone stole it :(.

mcdougall57
June 19th, 2007, 23:28
imported a ds phat when it was released in america so i had it before my mates in the uk and imported 8 games for it thereafter

alucard001
June 19th, 2007, 23:31
never imported sad i know

ZeakStarwind
June 19th, 2007, 23:46
I import a lot of games from japan just because it's unique and also cause there are games that won't ever make it to the US.
So far I got Ryuusei no RockMan: Dragon, Bokura no Taiyou: Django & Sabata, Bokura no Taiyou: Gyuakkuu (sp) no Sabata "comming Soon as it's shipping", RockMan Dash 1 & 2 for PSP and PS1, RockMan ZX, Tales of Phantasia PSP & PS1 and also Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex PSP,but...too many of them so I won't go into details..and yes, it's the legal stuff. =P

I_Highway
June 19th, 2007, 23:48
I imported my Wii, because it costed 1200,00 dollars here in Brazil. And it was cheaper also import my games, paying 60% of taxes, than buying here. Xbox 360 costs 1500 dollars, as does ps3. it is a little bit expensive...:p

Xiofire
June 20th, 2007, 00:05
Only ever imported one thing, and that was Rainbow Six Vegas for Xbox 360. Did it cus it was £26 rather then £40-£50. Will import Manhunt 2.
-Xiofire

Nikolaos
June 20th, 2007, 00:29
I imported my PSP, and a PSP UMD Movie that is rare :)

Dogmatic1
June 20th, 2007, 00:59
I've only ever imported Electroplankton (this was before a US/EU release was even mentioned), and Resi Evil DS (£10 cheaper for the US version).

I was gonna import my DS Lite (JPN), but it would have worked out 50% more expensive than waiting for the UK release.

I've also imported odd accessories when they'll work out cheaper.

Anger
June 20th, 2007, 01:16
the last time i imported it was from lik-sang.
however it also coincides with the last time i bought a games console.
why? i hear you ask - well the answer is simple - i live in rip-off britain.
so do i/would i import consoles again? a resounding yes.

RevVS
June 20th, 2007, 01:48
About 40% of my 200+ game collection is Japanese plus 4 consoles to play them.

However, almost none of those had any kind of North America release. I'm a bit of a Japanophile and just love to see how much North America misses by never looking beyond its own borders.

Did we mention Playasia.com (http://www.playasia.com)?

Lots to be had in the east that just never gets translated... At least D3 is starting to port some of their popular PS2 titles to Xbox360 (not that I have a 360)...

I'd probably be interested in European games too if they had more exclusives. The only Europe-only games I've ever come across though are the Asterix ones...

which is a shame because all the ones I have been able to try have been in English, half-way decent and Asterix does have a cult following albeit a small one by Hulk and Spiderman standards...

devdj
June 20th, 2007, 01:52
i have only imported games and movies from play.com cause they were cheaper and got the gba movie player device that works with the DS and a memory card for it from lik-sang back in 2004

Emulation_Chief
June 20th, 2007, 03:32
Hello:

Importing, for me, is just more than having games first than anyone else; is collecting, understanding and enjoying how other cultures play games. Games like Pepsi Man for PSone is a good example of that. A commercial icon in Japan, only trough the Internet you know about this game. Actually is kinda fun and entertaining. Very simple to play.

So far, my Dreamcast is the machine that I acquire the most imported games. Mostly, like the majority of importers, will not be available elsewhere or are unique collector's games. I wouldn't mind to bought Sonic Adventure 2 USA version (the one that sells in Puerto Rico) if Sega Japan doesn't sell the Collector's Birthday Edition. Games like the one I mentioned worth the time, money and Internet resources to importing games and consoles.

Don't think Europe is back behind. Games like Shenmue 2 on DC and Altered Beast for PS2 didn't saw the light, and probably will never, in USA. Importing those ones are also a reason to continue this practice.

[Roger]
June 20th, 2007, 04:27

I stole it viva Nvo Laredo
nah just kid that sux bro

brunobelo
June 20th, 2007, 05:11
You all forget about the people who doesn't live in USA / Europe / Japan. I'm from Brasil and here I can only buy Xbox 360, Wii and DS games, but 90% of the DS and wii games are imported.

PSP? No way, Sony hates Brasil. PS3? Who cares about that shit anyway. :-)

But since Tec Toy (licensed for Sega here, take a look at wikipedia) and Playtronic (Gradiente + Estrela, used to release Nintendo games) we didn't had official support. Until Microsoft released X360 here, at december 1st 2006.

By the way, if I couldn't import games, I couldn't play Playstation, PSP, PS2, Xbox and 90% of the other games.

Sorry about my english. :)

Aryn
June 20th, 2007, 05:12
All of my consoles were purchased locally due to the fact that before the last time I purchased one I did not have a credit card to shop online with. Come to think of it, my PSp is partially import3ed due to the fact that i ordered a new faceplate for it online and will likely be ordering a new screen and the PSP2TV hardware for it.

As for games, I only bothered to import them when I wanted them and could not obtain them locally.

cloud_952
June 20th, 2007, 05:16
o_O Wow.. that was just a long, overglorified advert for SucessHK.. kinda lame.

dejkirkby
June 20th, 2007, 05:20
I imported my first PSP from Lik-sang, and my last from SuccessHK and will be importing Manhunt 2 for the Wii!

the_eternal_dark
June 20th, 2007, 05:35
Imported my silver PSP and my blue PSP. Also imported 5 Dreamcast games, half my PS1 collection (all resident evils, and more, something like 40 games), and 5 PS2 games.

steve520
June 20th, 2007, 05:36

I feel your pain my brother stole mine and my DS.

SmashinGit
June 20th, 2007, 07:55
Have done and occasionally still do. My psp being imported from Japan with Ridge Racer is the most money I've spent importing. Wario Ware for Gameboy Advance is another game that comes to mind.

mnuhaily22
June 20th, 2007, 08:10
All games here are imports...mostly european

DarthPaul
June 20th, 2007, 10:01
I've never imported anything. I'm afraid...

yaustar
June 20th, 2007, 11:01
I mostly import games and niche hardware. I rarely import consoles.

Ci5tm Konfliqt
June 20th, 2007, 16:07
yeah i import a reasonable amount. my ps3 and psp are both from japan.

JKKDARK
June 20th, 2007, 16:13
Yes if it's cheap

Dogmatic1
June 20th, 2007, 20:43
All games here are imports...mostly european

Well technically, I think short of China or Japan, every country sells imports... unless there are PSP/DS/PS3/Xbox assembly plants in US, UK etc that I don't know about.

mnuhaily22
June 21st, 2007, 14:14
^^^The US has no imports for games as far as I know...

darkpoetjk
June 21st, 2007, 16:09
I own a universal PS2.... ( The ones that were first released lacked a REGION code and were recalled... I never sent mine back...... ) I am constantly getting games from Japan..... ( Had ff12 almost a year before we got it in the US.. and was about 50% THROUGH it when I lost interest) Im constatnly switching game up...... and also since I got the custom PSP firmware I got both remakes of FF and since they have an ENGLISH option there was no need to get the US ones...... Thanks DAX your everyones HERO

Sketchy
June 21st, 2007, 20:33
I haven't imported any consoles yet (my first console import will be the ps3 within the next few months...) And I've only ever imported one game which was Smart Bomb for PSP US version. It's very hard to find here in britian (just a shame i completed it in a week....) I will defo be importing Manhunt 2