PDA

View Full Version : Convert SQL to Geodata for Australia

kaitoudark
June 20th, 2007, 05:10
Hi I have a SQL file that contains the postcode, suburb name, lat and long for Australia. Just wondering how would I go about creating a geodata file from this and use it on my psp with Australia's maps.

riceboi
June 20th, 2007, 09:57
hey kaitoudark,

thats some interesting information which you have there. would be useful to compile into geodata for Australia,

I'd probably recommend that you private message (pm) deniska on this request as he should be able to give you information on possibility doing this.

Im from australia too and would find this information helpful to get mapthis working with gps guidance and not just gps mapping :)

Cheers.

kaitoudark
June 20th, 2007, 11:15
Well I tried PMing deniska.....unfortunately deniska's inbox is full and does not accept any PMs.
:(

riceboi
June 21st, 2007, 08:50
any way of passing that information to me so i could have a look ?

Leake
June 21st, 2007, 21:58
There's a few Aussie users on here, and I'd love to have this also, it'd be a huge help.

kaitoudark
June 24th, 2007, 00:43
PM me ur email if you want the SQL file and have a crack at it yourself.

in7ane
July 3rd, 2007, 12:39
It should be reasonably easy for you to get the data into a CSV (Excel database connection, move about some columns, etc.) after that I've added importing custom geodata into GMDL, see: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!?#Custom and redownload http://www.in7ane.com/psp/gmdl0.4.17a.zip

kaitoudark
July 4th, 2007, 02:52
Thanks in7ane, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

a_haouchar
July 4th, 2007, 08:46
hey everyone:)

im new to all this stuff.

Im about to purchuse a gps for my psp and i live in Australia, would it work, asuming from riceboi post it does? what are you guys talking about? something wrong with gps service in australia?

hes21
July 4th, 2007, 12:53
At the moment all we can do is surf around lots of tiles (pictures). There is no data stored in them apart where they sit in comparison to other tiles.

Adding geodata means that Mapthis can determine which tiles are in which suburb, and tell you how to get there (at the moment you can only do this on you PC and them transfer the info).

Eventually full geodata (street numbers, street names) should be available, at which time we can search for a street and number and Mapthis can figure out how to get there. Our friends in other countries already have this.

kaitoudark
July 4th, 2007, 23:54
a_haouchar yes the GPS with PSP does work in Australia.
I don't know if the geodata I have can actually search street and numbers. All i know is that suburbs will work.
I'll have to have a check for that.

a_haouchar
July 5th, 2007, 04:49
thanks i clearly get this:)

i hope the geodata works out:)

pldrummerboy
July 10th, 2007, 08:09
G'day gents, I am new to the world of map this on psp etc..... I currently have FW 3.40 oe-a, map this 0.499 & holux m1000 running. It seems pretty damn good and had no probs with psp but on the other hand I have huge probs with download tool!!! to download a map about 400mb in size it takes about 3 days!!!! what am I doing wrong? any answers???:confused:

kaitoudark
July 11th, 2007, 11:34
Your not doing anything wrong. When making maps it does take a long time. Mine took me 1 day to make. There are various factors that make it longer. E.g. The size of the map your downloading and also the selected zoom levels you have. If you have lots of zoom levels it will take longer to download.

inthemix
August 19th, 2007, 15:20
Very interested in the outcome of converted geodata for Australia. I'm in sydney myself, so any news on progress in this area would be greatly appreciated. Any results kaitoudark?

On that note, i was wondering is there any way to extract geodata from the map cd/dvds that come with full fledged gps units such as a Navman?

Also...

G'day gents, I am new to the world of map this on psp etc..... I currently have FW 3.40 oe-a, map this 0.499 & holux m1000 running.

just wanted to ask if your setup works well. i'm in the market for a holux gps unit and am tossing up between getting the GPS slim236/240 that MapThis! was originally designed for or the newer M1000 (which apparently has faster Time To First Fix etc)

sneaky101
August 20th, 2007, 15:27
im really intrested in geodata for australia. last month i nearly crashed my car, starring at the map. and recently i got my 290. that made life better, but geodata would be even more of.win. also i have poi's for all retail shops, fast food, speed cameras, fuel, etc..

tetravus2001
August 24th, 2007, 03:05
hey sneaky, would u mind sharing those POIs? i live in sydney and have been trying to make some POIs but i haven't had time to finish them just yet. would be greatly appreciated; if sharing of these kind of files is permitted...
geodata would be awesome, i'd be happy to help out if there is anything that can be done to speed the process up =) i'm kinda new to all this MapThis homebrew

inthemix
August 26th, 2007, 17:27
regarding my suggestion earlier about extracting geodata from the map data cd's that come with commercial gps units, it seems the application 'nokia maps' as used by S60 mobile phones for GPS navigation has a map data folder.

from my understanding it allows for address lookups and various POIs in sydney and other parts of australia. in7ane would it be possible to convert the map data used by 'nokia maps' into geodata that 'map this!' could use?

catch22
November 10th, 2008, 01:12
Anyone get anywhere with all this I have the POI's and maps for Sydney would love the geodata?

pwarren
November 11th, 2008, 02:12
hrm, this is an old thread, did anyone end up getting that SQL data from the OP? I've certainly got the skills and resources to do something probably useful with it (I'll try a PM and see how I go).

I've a few POI files that I have compiled, you aught to be able to find them at:

http://pjphotos.homelinux.org/mapthis

Hope that helps!

corban987
December 7th, 2008, 08:18
Has anyone got the geodata for Australia yet, I am definately interested as well.

cooldude123
December 24th, 2008, 06:36
I've found a website that may help.
It doesn't exactly have geodata but you can convert it into a geodata file. The website ishttp://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html

TheBigpickles
December 24th, 2008, 10:39
sorry to sound stupid but how can we convert it

Nieko
December 25th, 2008, 09:52
That doesn't sound stupid, don't worry :). The geodata file has a specific format, which you can't just create in Notepad or something.

I've indeed provided those Perl scripts to give an idea of how you can create geodata and what data you need.

Those scripts were all I needed to create the Dutch geodata, so you shouldn't need much more.

Perhaps http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Global_Map_Download_Tool#GeoData.DAT can help you out some more though.

One final thing, if you can't program, and can't get it to work through GMDL, I'm afraid you're out of luck.

cooldude123
December 31st, 2008, 01:11
Sorry I didn't read your reply Nieko

TheBigpickles
January 4th, 2009, 06:46
sorry for the late reply was a little confused with your statement Nieko till i saw cooldude123 reply im willing to give it a bash on an old map that i made a while ago thanks all for your words of wisdom

TheBigpickles
January 27th, 2009, 11:38
well i had to download my map again and trying to add the geo data but map this says geodat missing im abit lost read most of the posts i can find either im missing steps or im doing it totaly wrong