PDA

View Full Version : XCom DS

wraggster
June 20th, 2007, 16:07
News of a new project by blue_knight (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13472&sid=e5ac9f2bb94c3e6599ce5915b2854d08)

Has anyone started an XCom 1 clone for DS?
I ask because I've been working on an X-Com clone. It's a clone because I am not using the original source code but will be as close to the original as possible including using the original game data.

I can currently load MAP,PCK,TAB,MCD and LBM files, can load in and create tilesets, render Battlescape maps (where each 10x10 or 20x20 area is randomly chosen from a set of maps depending on terrain type) with up to 4 height layers (the same as the original game) and of course show vehicles like the Avenger and UFO's.

Anyway you can currently show different heights (which displays like the original game) and scroll around the maps with either the d-pad or by touching near the screen boundaries. Animating tiles work and I'm currently working on doors and such. Here are some cheesy JPG screenshots running in an emulator (it works on the real hardware too):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/blue_knight66/XCom5C.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/blue_knight66/XCom6C.jpg

Lighting and "fog of war" are not in yet and the top screen is currently used for debugging but will be used (most likely) to display the map. Since I'm using the GPU as a fast hardware blitter, lighting/"fog of war" will be pretty easy and shouldn't have any impact on speed.

saotome22
June 20th, 2007, 17:59
If he gets this fully playable
I will kiss* him!

*no actual kissing will be involved

F2bnp
June 20th, 2007, 19:37
OMG!Guy you're so cool!This is so...
AWESOME!

Veskgar
June 20th, 2007, 20:42
X-COM on the DS would be amazing. Thanks for taking on this project.

thebawp
June 20th, 2007, 22:36
Seriously, after ScummVM DS, this is my most wished for DS project. I will be watching this with great interest.

Category
June 21st, 2007, 12:37
X-Com was brilliant! The combat simultions would be cool on the DS! Mix it in with all the base-building and researching bits, this would be an AWESOME homebrew project!

Is the code a complete re-write, or are you porting it?

frobnitzz
June 21st, 2007, 14:07
wow wow wow.

Did I say wow?

:thumbup:

One of my all time favorite games - so many hours of my youth spent on this game :D

KuLeD00d
June 21st, 2007, 23:36
blue_knight if you EVER EVER EVER give up on this project I will hire a hitman to kill you!

And if it wasn't obvious, that was supposed to be encouragement :P

Neways please DO complete this, being able to play this on the go will be friggin awesome, I'd REALLY be able to relieve my childhood (LOL)

Next thing you know we'll see more Amiga games get ported (Super Cars 2 with wireless multiplay? ZOMG?!)

Maybe he can even take this a step further and allow players to go vs each other. One controls Humans the other the Aliens if this is the case most likely provide some form of multiplayer save so players can go back and continue their match.

jammet
June 22nd, 2007, 12:29
"And here I have a rare and valuable copy of..."

"OMGWTF!!! 11Torrent plz!!!"

Now seriously, if you can pull this of that would be FANTASTIC!

ddepp
June 24th, 2007, 11:51
Chaos Engine?!! Aga..?! ;)))

s0l1dsnak3123
June 24th, 2007, 14:42
chaos engine multiplayer would be awsome!

basilb
July 20th, 2007, 23:02
the western ds games scene, retail, is bizarre.

iD, lucasarts, westwood studios have to be smoking crack to have not attempted ds versions of their old games.

X-com is just one of a load of games ideally suited to the DS, that have had to be done by homebrewers for lack of games industry development.

argenzul
August 21st, 2008, 13:57
Why?

There has been no new news since August 2007.

I don't want it to die. Resurrect, you project.

xitpu
September 6th, 2008, 11:39
X.Com....i loved this game..