PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ultimate 2000 AX VGA-TV Converter

bandit
June 21st, 2007, 03:00
Ultimate 2000 AX VGA-TV Converter
Manufacturer: Vtimage
Site: Buy from Goldenshop (http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Misc_htm/m_ultimate.htm)
Price: $49.99

Overview : Ultimate 2000 AX is a handed-size universal VGA to TV converter box. It supports resolution up to 1280x1024. Compact size, power from USB port, easy for carry. It is best for PC Game, PC DVD, Internet viewing on TV, Entertainment, Education and Presentation.

Features

Pure hardware design, just Plug & Display
No software driver required, compatible with any operation system
Support 640x48@60/72/75/85Hz, 800x600@60/72/75/85Hz, 1027x768@60/70/75/85Hz, 1280x1024@60Hz display mode
Switchable NTSC, NTSC-EIAJ (for Japan), PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL-combination-N and SECAM video system
Supports Position control and MENU button
MENU button supports HSIZE, VSIZE, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, HUE, SATURATION, SHARPNESS, and OSD BACKGROUND color adjustment
Support overscan and underscan function
Simultaneous display on VGA monitor and TV
Power from USB port
24bit, true color digitizer
Supports IBM PC and MAC G4
Compact form factor: 95mm(L)x55mm(W)x30mm(H)

Package Contents

Ultimate 2000 AX (PC to TV converter box)
User's Manual
S-Video cable
Video cable
USB type power cable
VGA cable for IBM PC & MAC G4

Quality/Usability : My video card on my PC has a VGA OUT I was able to watch movies on my 32" TV rather than my 17" PC monitor. This made viewing a lot easier for when I had company over. But having to my computer (motherboard died on me), I lost the ability to watch movies on my TV even though I am able to see my computer. So I had to look for another alternative.

Ultimate 2000 AX was that alternative solution. I tried the Ultimate 2000 AX both on my desktop as well as my IBM Thinkpad laptop that I got from my college. Installation was simple and basic. Connect a few cables whether it be VGA cables, S-Video cable or Video cable and the USB power cable and you're all set to go. Unfortunately, you'll have to play around with it as the manual that was included isnt really a manual. I had to go by the image that was printed on the back of the box.

On the front of the Ultimate 2000 AX are 6 buttons. LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, MENU and SIZE. LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN are pretty much self explanatory. MENU brings up HSIZE, VSIZE, BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, HUE, SATURATION, SHARPNESS, and OSD BACKGROUND color adjustment. HSIZE allows you to adjust the height, VSIZE allows you to adjust the width. BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, HUE, SATURATION, SHARPNESS are all self explanatory. OSD Background lets you adjust the color of the text on the MENU selection to either white or black. SIZE allows you to choose various different sizes that will suit your viewing and size of TV.

The back has a VIDEO OUT to connect to TV, S-Video to connect your VCR and VGA OUT to connect to your PC monitor. The left side is VGA IN plug. On the right side of is the DC IN and a switch 1 & 2. Switch 1 & 2 lets you choose your TV standard whether it be NTSC or PAL. For NTSC, switch 1 is down (ON) and switch 2 is up (OFF). For PAL, both switches are down. Remember the "manual"? As mentioned, there was really no manual and I had to figure this out myself as when I first plugged in the Ultimate 2000 AX, I thought I did something wrong or it was broken.

Besides the lack of information in the "manual", I am impressed with the quality that is displayed. The quality is clear, colors are vibrant and the ability to adjust the size of display to fit on your TV is a great plus! This is perfect if you have movies stored on your computer and want to view it on your bigger TV. Its also great for your presentation for either work or school related. Since this only supports video, audio is still coming from your original source whether it be from your laptop or computer speakers.

Conclusion : Overall, the Ultimate 2000 AX VGA-TV Converter does its job great. At first, I was skeptic about the quality of the display coming from a no-name brand device. But after seeing this in action, I am no longer skeptic. It would have been nice if the "manual" was actually a manual rather than a piece of paper that lists product features, introduction, system requirements and package contents. Price is fairly reasonable at $49.99.

Images via comments

blitzinferno
December 28th, 2008, 02:36
I was wondering if this would be a probable option to allow me to output my wii to an LCD monitor which has vga.

If not, is there anything you could suggest for a fairly reasonable price that would be able to accomplish that task for me. I can get a component connection easily for my wii if that would be the only option I am just completely stumped as to how to play my wii on an LCD monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.