PDA

View Full Version : Sony unbricker battery "Sony JigKick" pictures revealed!

-Xandu-
June 23rd, 2007, 11:46
Sony PSP unbricker "Sony JigKick" finally has a face!

More info about the unbricker:

There was a PSP that Sony unbricked that was sent back to the owner with a memory stick inside.
The memory stick contained these items:

- Binary encrypted full NAND image.
- Required modules for system control for use by IPL of debug hardware.
- Logging module for debug log review (log is saved after full write).
- A file used for testing that the system plays well (usually a demo of a PSP game).

This memory stick supposedly unbricks any PSP.
But, you need a special battery in the PSP to load the files.

This battery is know as the "Sony JigKick".
It sends data through through the 3rd. battery pin that enables writing to the IPL from the memory stick.
Here are the battery specs:

- 1.1v-3.5v debug unit for connecting through the serial port in 3rd. battery pin.
- Transmission of data is UNENCRYPTED but uses a XOR algorithm for transmission (easily parsed and analyzed).
- Contains any number of IPLs (different ones for each motherboard revision (TA-XXX))
- IPL is loaded into the Kernel Memory. ME area seems most likely (IPL of the PSP is the same but missing 2 essential modules that the debug unit has).
- Contains ipl_mg_modules.bin and ipl_mg_nanddriver.bin
- IPL is encrypted in 3 stages. Easily decrypted to show stages, but not for decrypt each individual stage.
- Contains a 40x120 column TFT screen for display.
- Has a SERIAL port for PC connectivity.
- Seems to have a 32MB ROM IMAGE on Flash.
- 8MB of RAM.
- Nickel-Cadmium Battery Cell (possibly 76 hour battery life).
- AC/DC adapter port 15V.
- Contains 4 buttons (on/off, reset, connect/disconnect, menu).
- Arrow keys UP and DOWN for menu.

DIGG THIS NEWS (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Unbricker_Pictures)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Unbricker_Pictures

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8868/dsc00303acf6927sr4.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2417/dsc00296ad0f6acpx3.jpg

Sketchy
June 23rd, 2007, 12:05
The memory stick contained these items:

- Binary encrypted full NAND image.
- Required modules for system control for use by IPL of debug hardware.
- Logging module for debug log review (log is saved after full write).
- A file used for testing that the system plays well (usually a demo of a PSP game).

This memory stick supposedly unbricks any PSP.
But, you need a special battery in the PSP to load the files.

Would it be possible to ever clone one if the right ppl got hold of it.......for hombrewers and everyone one on the psp scene bricking would be a thing of the past......:thumbup:

blabla
June 23rd, 2007, 12:15
lets hope lets hope,
yesterday i bricked my psp...

jonezybaby
June 23rd, 2007, 12:16
im sure sum1 could? mainly clever people in the world 2day! if the right group of people get there hands on it and examin the individual parts of the battery eg. 1 guy does power supply, another examins the chip etc then hey we would get sumwere!!!

splodger15
June 23rd, 2007, 12:25
Come on this needs to be release. Plus were did the images come from someone has this

-Xandu-
June 23rd, 2007, 12:31
Nickel-Cadmium Battery Cell (possibly 76 hour battery life).
Nice battery!:p

rbervoets
June 23rd, 2007, 12:32
you know if this thing unbricks PSP's to vertion 1.5 there would be no need for downgraders !!

Sonicboy 101
June 23rd, 2007, 12:36
you know if this thing unbricks PSP's to vertion 1.5 there would be no need for downgraders !!

Yeah. Wouldn't it be great?

froggie22
June 23rd, 2007, 12:54
hope a group of hong kong people get it coz there not afraid to remake them and sell em lol. there is more pictures of the debug menu and stuff

here:

Gabba Gandalf
June 23rd, 2007, 13:39
hope a group of hong kong people get it coz there not afraid to remake them and sell em lol. there is more pictures of the debug menu and stuff

here:

1 word AWSOME :thumbup:

Micky_c_dog
June 23rd, 2007, 13:47
LOL someone at sony is getting fired for sure

rbervoets
June 23rd, 2007, 14:11
LOL someone at sony is getting fired for sure

MUAHAHAHA EVIL !!!

:rofl:

AI-Ron
June 23rd, 2007, 14:41
I think it's a fake to stop people from speculating about it.

Darkfrost
June 23rd, 2007, 14:46
Haha, Sony must be thinking

"Oh $%&! Oh $%&! Oh $%&! Oh $%&!"

By the looks of this, it seems like it could be used to downgrade any psp, unbrick psps, and more more stuff!

icow
June 23rd, 2007, 15:15
the first images look a little photo shopped

the images of the actual menu could just be some homebrew

pretty cool all the still

-Xandu-
June 23rd, 2007, 15:21
the first images look a little photo shopped

the images of the actual menu could just be some homebrew

pretty cool all the still

Not really, it's just the camera.

Could be, maybe you're right. It looks less Sony"ish" to me.

Sketchy
June 23rd, 2007, 16:10
lets hope lets hope,
yesterday i bricked my psp...

Ahh i feel for ya dude. Bricked mine a couple weeks ago, got it repaired and now it's gd as new. Although im now thinking bout gettin' the UP mod chip, it's just the installation that puts me off a bit......I'm a lazy S.O.B :D

But then again why would sony feel the need to go all out on a Sony"ish" UI when this wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone but the Techies at Sony HQ......

lilbart90
June 23rd, 2007, 16:59
Not really, it's just the camera.

Im sure sony had no intentions on the public getting their hands on it, let alone even knowing about it. But i can say one thing, this is one product that consumers should stay away from, there gonna get sued up to ying yang if they start producing they Jigkick batterys.

Another note, i believe this is real because sony has to have some way to unbrick PSP's, they are not replacing every psp they get thats bricked with new MOBO's.

burrito
June 23rd, 2007, 17:04
Fake - Photoshop

jerrt
June 23rd, 2007, 17:19
now that is quite the battery. i hope this gets out in the public.

Zephyroth_drgs
June 23rd, 2007, 18:04
could some one take one, disasemble it and make a circuit that enable every one to reflash a psp?

Poor-Kingz
June 23rd, 2007, 18:30
pretty complex for a battery. they should make AAs with screens.

DeleterX
June 23rd, 2007, 18:56
OMG if that's possible...... bricking PSP's can be things of the past, maybe some hard Modding to a Simple Battery can emulate that special battery, Maybe?

Zargon
June 23rd, 2007, 19:08
If it is real, and if it works, and if it might be released for public purchase, then its awesome.:cool:
If not, I'm pissed off.:mad:

Zin0099
June 23rd, 2007, 19:09
I was thinking the same thing! like see if mod chipping a psp battery would work

steve520
June 23rd, 2007, 19:31
Damn now I know what it looks like im gonna raid sony.

Man
June 23rd, 2007, 20:31
How important is this really, its basicly useless to people with custom firmwares, because of the recovery menu, other wise i can see it if you have like 3.50 or somthing. And even if it is real, wich im a bit sceptical on, i need to see a video or somthing. Sony will destroy the companies producing it, they shut down Lik Sang just for exporting PSPs, what the hell do you think they're going to do to these people, if it is real, wich, i dout it is.

Darkfrost
June 23rd, 2007, 20:38
Just in case anyone isn't sure if it's real or not, I got the two images of the battery and put them next to each other.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/25/untitledbx4.jpg

- Yup, I know it's done very badly, but it's just for reference :P

Doesn't really prove anything, and the images are at a slightly different angle.

To me, the one on the right seems to have a wider screen, but that is probably just the angle.

Photoshop? Real?

Not sure. But it's a good photoshop if it is.

Also, To me it seems strange that there is a screen on the battery, and yet it uses the psp's screen. Still, This proves nothing.

xcjzerox
June 23rd, 2007, 20:42
if people are trying to show it off to the public why don't they make a ****ing video of this now gosh..

ab88
June 23rd, 2007, 21:00

Also, To me it seems strange that there is a screen on the battery, and yet it uses the psp's screen. Still, This proves nothing.

If you had bothered to research before posting you would know credible sources (Jas0nuk) confirmed the screen is used to navigate menus on the unbricking process. Last time I checked a bricked PSP's screen did not display a lot of data. The shots taken here (If they are legit) are from a PSP that has already booted the ipl and debug firmware from the battery and Memory stick respectively.

Anger
June 23rd, 2007, 21:13
Im sure sony had no intentions on the public getting their hands on it, let alone even knowing about it. But i can say one thing, this is one product that consumers should stay away from, there gonna get sued up to ying yang if they start producing they Jigkick batterys.

Another note, i believe this is real because sony has to have some way to unbrick PSP's, they are not replacing every psp they get thats bricked with new MOBO's.

actually they cant sue them - they will only be replicating the functions of the device, of course assuming they can get one. if they produce one and it contained sony copyright code it could of course be grounds for being sued but there not that stupid.

duol90
June 23rd, 2007, 21:18
- Nickel-Cadmium Battery Cell (possibly 76 hour battery life).

It all looked good until I saw this. 76 hours battery life using Ni-Cd chemistry? Smells like a load of sh*t to me.

-Xandu-
June 23rd, 2007, 21:44

Ahh i feel for ya dude. Bricked mine a couple weeks ago, got it repaired and now it's gd as new. Although im now thinking bout gettin' the UP mod chip, it's just the installation that puts me off a bit......I'm a lazy S.O.B :D

But then again why would sony feel the need to go all out on a Sony"ish" UI when this wasn't supposed to be seen by anyone but the Techies at Sony HQ......

I wasn't talking about the UI ....

The screenshot looks like a homemade one and Sony, they probably do it automatically without a need for a menu..

Anger
June 23rd, 2007, 21:51
It all looked good until I saw this. 76 hours battery life using Ni-Cd chemistry? Smells like a load of sh*t to me.

this is speculation - and remember, we still dont know anything about exactly how the battery does what it does. its most likely nowhere near as much as this time but, the psp would be formatted and no other hardware in the psp would be active other than than the flash and possibly the screen if indeed this menu is for real, so 76 hours is totally realistic.

pibs
June 23rd, 2007, 22:10
what about that memory stick they talk about? no pics?

Shiori
June 23rd, 2007, 22:10
Speculation... Something sounds very strange...

And why do they never have any good pictures...

Indeed the 76 hour life seems like a very tasty hook/guess?

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4281/kik2ys7.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kik2ys7.jpg)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3629/kikyc9.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikyc9.jpg)

- Huzzar for casio 1337. Now, if it wasn't for the very obvious buttons. Wouldn't you be convinced?

burrito
June 23rd, 2007, 22:16
No, this is the real one!!!!!!!!!1111!!1!!!!!
http://i9.tinypic.com/6bm82oh.jpg
I hate pspgen, starting rumors....

Shiori
June 23rd, 2007, 22:18
Oh look. Jigkick is an anagram of PSPSLIM.

Just add a couple of P's, an L, M... Take out a few letters in true sony style...

Jigkick codename PSPSLIM.

... Yeah.

- I am still curious as to why it would need a menu, isn't it made for only one purpose? Or can it do something else which is unable to be automated.

pibs
June 23rd, 2007, 22:26
ha where those photoshopped? yea its kinda weird that they just show the battery but not the memory stick that does wonders:rolleyes:

mike_jmg
June 23rd, 2007, 22:27
76 hour battery life, using it as it is intended for no?

having a new one with like 10 hour in-game battery life would be nice

Shiori
June 23rd, 2007, 22:29
The memory stick will just be a memory stick.

Thats a kinda for-sure.

- An no, they are real pictures. Number two is particualy nice.

xg917
June 23rd, 2007, 22:52
if that battery really lasts THAT LONG i want it now!!!!! 72 hours of battery life is amazing

Shiori
June 23rd, 2007, 23:08
I think that would be a battery life-projection based on just running the very minimal limit of psp hardware.

duol90
June 23rd, 2007, 23:30
But why would they choose to use Ni-Cd over Li-ion? o.O

james2150
June 23rd, 2007, 23:48
IF it's real I hope that it doesn't get released because 76 hours will cost A LOT of money. Maybe it needs to be long to unbrick the PSP and flash stuff. BTW- the memory stick is normal, just plain any mem stick but the files on it are what matters- the files I have!

psp411
June 23rd, 2007, 23:56
i dont believe the battery life spec a bit... seems to long for a ni-cad to live for... even if its just performing basic functions of the psp... also, im interested in the recovery menu option that the jigkick can install(i think its right after install or repair current fw?)
all in all... i hope that this is real
btw to all with the photoshop... pretty nice... i believed it till i took a closer look :D :cool:

mexicansnake
June 24th, 2007, 00:06
Awesome, I want one of those :D.

sebbe
June 24th, 2007, 00:19
if it is a one way communication between the psp and the battery it would be easy to just record the signals sendt by the battery and play them with a little chip.

Anti-QJ
June 24th, 2007, 00:53
Nice find.

lets hope its true.

parkermauney
June 24th, 2007, 01:47
There's an app to find if photo's are photoshopped, I'll take a look right quick.

Well dammit if I could find it!

burrito
June 24th, 2007, 01:47
ha where those photoshopped? yea its kinda weird that they just show the battery but not the memory stick that does wonders:rolleyes:
lol i was bored so I made one of them:
http://i9.tinypic.com/6bm82oh.jpg

psp411
June 24th, 2007, 04:29
wow..... very photoshopped indeed....looks "official" hahaha :D :cool:

Darkfrost
June 24th, 2007, 11:47
Thanks to the guy who posted the info for me earlier :)

sonofsamus
June 24th, 2007, 22:28
Question: Why is it that everyone believed the overhyped slim PSP rumors when they came out, without any shred of evidence, but then when something with convincing photographic evidence comes out, something with real plausability, everyone cries bullshit? What gives, people?

Shiori
June 24th, 2007, 22:38
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4281/kik2ys7.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kik2ys7.jpg)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3629/kikyc9.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kikyc9.jpg)

I like those odds!

- And possibly because it made viable sence for sony to produce a smaller, re-designed psp. Under the thinking of "oh look DS lite".

Drunken
June 25th, 2007, 00:08
Kinda coincidental about a week after i brick my psp this comes along =] ill just wait about 2 more months to see this released.

REMEMBER PEOPLE 2.6 DOWNGRADER WAS THOUGHT TO BE IMPOSSIBLE =] Dont GIVE UP TRYING TO DO THIS! =] Lol

zackforbing
June 25th, 2007, 05:08
Question: Why is it that everyone believed the overhyped slim PSP rumors when they came out, without any shred of evidence, but then when something with convincing photographic evidence comes out, something with real plausability, everyone cries bullshit? What gives, people?

if that's what you call "convincing photographic evidence" , I suggest you get your driver's license revoked, because you're obviously blind. those "spoiler" shots are bald-faced photoshops, and not very good ones at that. you can see the texture of the battery through the up and down buttons, and on the rest of the buttons, you can see the edges of the rectangular marquee used to copy and paste them.

aj4000au
June 25th, 2007, 10:06
How important is this really, its basicly useless to people with custom firmwares, because of the recovery menu...

If you're saying it's impossible to brick a PSP that has custom Firmware, think again. I had 3.40 OE. I was tinkering with some flash files, putting on a new theme and I accidently deleted the wrong folder. I could still access the recovery menu, and I attempted to reflash. But my Recovery EBOOT was corrupted and the flashing errored and now it wont boot. PSP not booting = Brick.

I hope something like this does get out there to save me having to put down $280 AU for a new PSP that may or may not be downgradable.

Cormin
June 25th, 2007, 11:45
actually they cant sue them - they will only be replicating the functions of the device, of course assuming they can get one. if they produce one and it contained sony copyright code it could of course be grounds for being sued but there not that stupid.

im pretty sure anything that bypasses security on a device, (or even downgrades to a buggy version) is illegal... like any modchip merchants for xbox wont include Evox, since it allows you to run games off the hdd

so if this device were to be reproduced, it would probably be breaking some law... sony will find some way to strike back at our community, theyve got money, and some damn good lawyers

BTW: with that kind of battery, plus LCD screen, and everything else... i bet this beast would be expensive!

Shiori
June 25th, 2007, 17:20
If you're saying it's impossible to brick a PSP that has custom Firmware, think again. I had 3.40 OE. I was tinkering with some flash files, putting on a new theme and I accidently deleted the wrong folder. I could still access the recovery menu, and I attempted to reflash. But my Recovery EBOOT was corrupted and the flashing errored and now it wont boot. PSP not booting = Brick.

I hope something like this does get out there to save me having to put down $280 AU for a new PSP that may or may not be downgradable.

lol.

Why on earth did you run a recovery eboot if you just deleted a prx folder?

- why don't you have a backup in the first place?

Too much haste gains you last place.

-- This is possibly sonys answer to "official" bricks. It is very likely, as said. That the whole process will be illegal if replicated without sony's permission.

Why you would want to pay for a psp (jigkick/jigkick use) if this was produced by a 3rd party. Might aswell get an "old" psp-fat for a little extra?

Anger
June 25th, 2007, 19:30
im pretty sure anything that bypasses security on a device, (or even downgrades to a buggy version) is illegal... like any modchip merchants for xbox wont include Evox, since it allows you to run games off the hdd

so if this device were to be reproduced, it would probably be breaking some law... sony will find some way to strike back at our community, theyve got money, and some damn good lawyers

BTW: with that kind of battery, plus LCD screen, and everything else... i bet this beast would be expensive!

if that was the case, dark alex would have had his ass sued off by now, in fact anyone associated with either the downgraders, the custom firmwares, or the exploits would have.

they just want us to think this kind of thing is illegal - they want it to be but because of our rights it isnt. someone can in theory invent the same thing as someone else. does that make it illegal simply because it does the same thing? no. the illegality is if they have actually copied the hardware or software in whole or in part.

modchips are bordering on illegal because theres only 2 reasons for them - piracy and homebrew. unfortunatly the argument that we can all make a single copy of any software we own for backup purposes is holding less water these days - even tho it is still a valid and legal argument.
the lawyers would have a hard time proving otherwise.
its far easier for the big companies to line politicians pockets and get them to try and make things like modchips illegal.
the software that runs on the hardware is a very grey area. the evox software for the xbox used the offical sdk to make them so that was a clear violation of the software licensing agreements.
also theres practically no legal reason to run custom software on the hardware you own because of those damned greedy big corps.

anyway back on topic - yeah it could be expensive but economies of scale means that the more they sell the more they can reduce the price. if theres sufficient demand (which i think there would be) then it would be possible to release a device like that. but as stated before the grey area would be the software it uses.

Buddy4point0
June 25th, 2007, 19:41
dude i want one of these so bad! it would be so awsome to unbrick psp with it

mavsman4457
June 25th, 2007, 20:18
That would be incredible if we could get these things mass produced because then there would be competition among the UP the Devolution and this for unbricking purposes. Of courses this would only be able to unbrick, the Devolution would be able to unbrick and downgrade, and the UP can unbrick, downgrade, and dualboot so there are differences.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
June 25th, 2007, 22:16
if this were really true, those memory stick files would be all over the torrents right now.

burrito
June 25th, 2007, 22:34
I found this on Maxconsole:

Just found this video clip from a Chinese gamer website. I think you guys might be interested in. Sorry for my English.

A game shop in Shenzhen, China claimed that they could softmod >3.10 PSPs on most of the Chinese game websites. A girl (identity unknown) went there and took the following video clip.

The guy who is working in that shop, kept on asking the girl to shoot the right side of the PSP, with the memory stick side unshown, until the process is finished.

Now people are suspecting this video has something to do with the unbrick magic battery. I've put this video on exophase as well, and will put it on lan.st when it's done with its renovation. Hopefully in this way, it could get the some attention from the most intelligent people in PSP scence. And a homebrew magic battery in future!

Here is the link of the video:
http://union.bokecc.com/flash/player.swf?videoID=30619_468870

aj4000au
June 25th, 2007, 22:54
Why on earth did you run a recovery eboot if you just deleted a prx folder?

Why don't you have a backup in the first place?

Cause I was lazy.

Cause I was silly.

Oh well. Just means I have to buy one of the cool lookin' blue JP ones off SuccessHK. :D

VampDude
June 25th, 2007, 23:36
My PSP's motherboard has a built in Recovery Mode, I think it's basically the same thing???

AvengedSevenfold Fan
June 25th, 2007, 23:53
I found this on Maxconsole:

dicks like that who keep that stuff from other ppl piss me off

dogspit
June 26th, 2007, 01:55
It can't be seen clearly in the video but looks just like a standard battery...

If it really is truth i hope it comes out. I have a shiny black brick waiting to come to life :D

sonofsamus
June 26th, 2007, 02:32
if that's what you call "convincing photographic evidence" , I suggest you get your driver's license revoked, because you're obviously blind. those "spoiler" shots are bald-faced photoshops, and not very good ones at that. you can see the texture of the battery through the up and down buttons, and on the rest of the buttons, you can see the edges of the rectangular marquee used to copy and paste them.
Those "rectangular marquees" you speak of are the labels above the buttons. The rest are JPEG artifacts, which the image is full of, as I'm sure your eagle eyes can tell.

lemmo11
July 1st, 2007, 19:06
Just in case anyone isn't sure if it's real or not, I got the two images of the battery and put them next to each other.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/25/untitledbx4.jpg

- Yup, I know it's done very badly, but it's just for reference :P

Doesn't really prove anything, and the images are at a slightly different angle.

To me, the one on the right seems to have a wider screen, but that is probably just the angle.

Photoshop? Real?

Not sure. But it's a good photoshop if it is.

left 1 is defo photoshop. but the ryt 1...i dont know looks real

mcdougall57
July 1st, 2007, 19:39
76 hour battery, yeah right why would it need that if its sole perpouse was to unbrick a psp

edit:i stand corrected, but i wouldnt think they had a battery that good unless it was the size of a car battery

-Xandu-
July 1st, 2007, 20:05
76 hour battery, yeah right why would it need that if its sole perpouse was to unbrick a psp

It's not just "a" PSP... They unbrick more than one you know ;).

jaron
July 1st, 2007, 23:04
my freind bricked his psp about 4 months ago after accidentally downgrading from firm. 3.11 to 2.60 when messing with the 3.03 downgrader. he upgraded to 2.71 and used the generic downgrader and bricked it.http://www.innfusion.com/blogimages/Brick.jpg

AvengedSevenfold Fan
October 7th, 2007, 03:17
these shitheads....

Prasoc
October 7th, 2007, 09:31
ooooooooooooooooooold topicccccccccc

gusgus
October 8th, 2007, 01:54
uht oh Sony!

award982
March 20th, 2008, 20:33
idiots!!!ever heard of a pandora battery and pandora's magic memory stick?it does the same ****ing thing as sonys jigkick,only its a simple battery...

Prasoc
March 20th, 2008, 20:42
idiots!!!ever heard of a pandora battery and pandora's magic memory stick?it does the same ****ing thing as sonys jigkick,only its a simple battery...

lol ur the idiot, this came out before pandora