PDA

View Full Version : Barcode Scanning Application POC

Art
June 24th, 2007, 09:14
Hi Guys,
I just dropped in to share news of a little project of mine :)
This is not a release, but rather a demo/news, or whatever, as I believe it
is a world first of a barcode scanner application for the PSP with YouTube videos to proove it ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/defxev/PCS.htm

Direct YouTube links in case the embedded videos don't work:
http://www.youtube.com/v/P_pZaAKR3g8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO7HENwIvPs
The video was required so you could hear the voice speaking!
Cheers, Art.

parkermauney
June 24th, 2007, 09:23
lol, where do you get the barcode scanner?

Great work, never would've thought of it. :D

Axelius
June 24th, 2007, 10:53
This is funny! It would be even more useful, if it would work with the psp camera...

parkermauney
June 24th, 2007, 11:05
At first I thought it my use ir, but then I became not stupid about barcodes being made of paper. :p

Hawq
June 24th, 2007, 13:47
Barcode Battler flashbacks anyone?

Vylen
June 24th, 2007, 15:54
Apart from "Just cause i can" - why would anyone want to do this? As well as that, who even thinks of attaching a bar code scanner to a PSP.

I'm not bagging this out, i think its cool cause a lot of effort would be put into it. I'm just curious as to how people think...

Airdevil
June 24th, 2007, 15:54
lol what does the voice say after the price?.... sounds like its swearing! lol

but good work i guess, ill prob never be able to get a scanner for my psp though.

watupgroupie
June 24th, 2007, 16:01
If you go the website he supplied he tells you thats it's very easy to hook one up to the psp and they are cheap, I imagine if you looked around enough you could find one ;). This would be fun just walking around in a store using.

Vylen
June 24th, 2007, 17:05
If you go the website he supplied he tells you thats it's very easy to hook one up to the psp and they are cheap, I imagine if you looked around enough you could find one ;). This would be fun just walking around in a store using.

Not really.

On a technical side, bar codes on products dont store any information apart from their number. The number is used to look up information in a database (hash-tables, direct look-ups, etc) to find out their associated product name, price or what have you. (Sort of mentioned on his website).

So, in other words, if you walked around a store scanning stuff, you wouldn't get anything (apart from the number) unless you have the entire stores inventory database stored in your PSP somewhere or wireless accesst to the database on the stores network...

pibs
June 24th, 2007, 18:00
it would be cool if he could make a scanners homebrew game, where each different scan is a monster to fight.

mike03$$$
June 24th, 2007, 20:33
this is a cool proof of concept but i dont really see the use of this but its a good app, now maybe supermarkets will put psp in the store

Art
June 25th, 2007, 00:21
Not really.

On a technical side, bar codes on products dont store any information apart from their number. The number is used to look up information in a database (hash-tables, direct look-ups, etc) to find out their associated product name, price or what have you. (Sort of mentioned on his website).

So, in other words, if you walked around a store scanning stuff, you wouldn't get anything (apart from the number) unless you have the entire stores inventory database stored in your PSP somewhere or wireless accesst to the database on the stores network...
That's about right, but if you do have those full product databases from a few companies you can
start to have some fun finding who is cheapest
on certain items, etc.
A lot can also be done with stocktaking data.
Art.

Buddy4point0
June 25th, 2007, 05:51
what a wierd idea, very awsome though and i will most deffinantly get this

Vylen
June 25th, 2007, 08:52
That's about right, but if you do have those full product databases from a few companies you can
start to have some fun finding who is cheapest
on certain items, etc.
A lot can also be done with stocktaking data.
Art.

Out of curiosity, how big on average would a companies product database be though?

cloud_952
June 25th, 2007, 15:00
Out of curiosity, how big on average would a companies product database be though?

o_o HUGE. I work in Target doing backstocking, so I spend about 8 hours a day scanning items. There are literally thousands of different items and barcodes. You must also consider that they keep information on older items not currently in stock (though these are eventually purged.. I've encountered it a few times when we have an old item that was never sold, barcode purged, and the computer has no clue what it is). I don't imagine that the database would be some sort of impossibly huge file (especially since there isn't alot of information on each product), but it definitely would be big.

Soo.. yeah. Tons and tons of barcodes. o_o

VFerg
June 25th, 2007, 15:11
Probably not that big at all. All they have to do is associate the string of numbers with the product. They just scan an item when its new and type in all the information for what they want to call it. I want to try it out since I have access to a ton of barcode readers. Working in a laboratory they have them to map speciman in racks and print out extra labels to attach to them. I dont do that stuff but I setup everything since Im there computer guy. It makes me wonder if I could get a label printer hooked up to the psp as well so you could scan a barcode and have it print whatever you scanned. But of course this would take a whole seperate program coded to do that.

VFerg
June 25th, 2007, 15:20
o_o HUGE. I work in Target doing backstocking, so I spend about 8 hours a day scanning items. There are literally thousands of different items and barcodes. You must also consider that they keep information on older items not currently in stock (though these are eventually purged.. I've encountered it a few times when we have an old item that was never sold, barcode purged, and the computer has no clue what it is). I don't imagine that the database would be some sort of impossibly huge file (especially since there isn't alot of information on each product), but it definitely would be big.

Soo.. yeah. Tons and tons of barcodes. o_o

Depending upon what software you are using could determine the size of the database but I would not think that it would be very big even with thousands of items since its a very simple code to have an item mapped to a specific barcode. Maybe if they use something like SQL that database may grow to a pretty big size.

cloud_952
June 26th, 2007, 02:25
Depending upon what software you are using could determine the size of the database but I would not think that it would be very big even with thousands of items since its a very simple code to have an item mapped to a specific barcode. Maybe if they use something like SQL that database may grow to a pretty big size.

While it's true (that it shouldn't be too big), Target (and likely alot of other places) associates quite a bit of information and cross-referencing with each barcode. Not only does it locate the item, but depending on which menu you're in (which program you're running), it pulls up different information.

So, basically, the information stored on each item (from what I've experienced, there could be even more that I've never encountered) is: in-store location, backroom location, current price, sale price, Target item number (DPCI), and UPC (SKU, barcode, whatever you want to call it). So.. it really does take a little more than just the scanning and a simple barcode + info. Though, it really depends on what you intended to do, I guess.

o_O I think most of the information is processed server-side (the cross-referencing) before being submitted to the end-user (me, the stockboy). Though all that information would have to be located on the PSP, and the PSP would have to process the info and cross-reference the information, too. ^_^; Ouch.

But that's just for Target, and likely many other large stores. For anything else and smaller, I'm sure alot's doable.

Art
June 28th, 2007, 18:48
So, basically, the information stored on each item (from what I've experienced, there could be even more that I've never encountered) is: in-store location, backroom location, current price, sale price, Target item number (DPCI), and UPC (SKU, barcode, whatever you want to call it). So.. it really does take a little more than just the scanning and a simple barcode + info. Though, it really depends on what you intended to do, I guess.

.. and don't forget the Human readable description :D The most memory wasting field of all.

Yes that's most of what is contained in the stock files I've seen.
There is also a few possible extras like carton quanities, or pallet quantities in the case of a warehouse.
Actual inventory levels are in a seperate file.

It would probably be fair to say smaller than you think.
Say 16Mb for 22,000 product records.
Target might have more items than that ranged into
their stockfile, but compression is doable by stripping out fields you don't need.