PDA

View Full Version : v3.50 PSP downgraded in China (with video)

evolve
June 26th, 2007, 02:45
A video clip of a supposed v3.50 downgrader is in action at a game shop in Shenzen and China who claim they can softmod PSPs with a firmware version of over v3.10. People are suspecting that this downgrade process is conducted with the Official unbricking battery from Sony.

Via EvolveXMB (http://evolvexmb.com/Main/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=493&forum=19)

http://union.bokecc.com/flash/player.swf?videoID=30619_468870

(Video Embedded - wraggster)

BelmontSlayer
June 26th, 2007, 03:12
Excellent! I can't wait for the schematics to get on the net! Hopefully they'll start producing knockoff batteries for the masses.

buildit92
June 26th, 2007, 03:21
im not sure if i belive this. for a couple of reasons. one is that after the psp "downgraded" there was no blue screen like every other time anyone downgrades. also it looked like a video game shop. but i have on theroy which makes planty sense. mabey he hacked it so it said 3.50. then the activated the auto boot eboot feture that custom fw have. so then on his other memory card he has the recovery in his psp:game:boot:eboot (eboot being the recovery to 1.50) then he downgrades to 1.50. not very hard to fake. ill belive it when someone release data for it or something. but until then, this is what i think.

Bobtentpeg
June 26th, 2007, 03:25
to BelmontSlayer

downgrading does not always result in a BSoD. In fact, i have only gotten a BSoD once due to a firmware change, and that was when i uped to 340 OE.

@ buildit92
possible, but, most people are not likly to advertise that they can perform a service tht they cant. They learly show what store it is, so they will most likly get customers from it, so it does them no good to try and trick us

scarph
June 26th, 2007, 03:26
o right buildit92, he did all that...for internet fame?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
June 26th, 2007, 03:27
um...this is said in the jigkick thread. dont take credit for it

Welshboy
June 26th, 2007, 03:27
If its genuine Sony are up sh*t creek without a paddle, but on the plus side homebrew for all and more units being sold. If it isn't we still have the exploit............so let's face it, Sony are still floating (not so far up) sh*t creek without a scooby doo what to do. I like it.

ICE
June 26th, 2007, 03:30
wouldnt be hard to fake but i hope it isnt.

buildit92
June 26th, 2007, 03:30
its been done before. and this could be it. all im saying is that even thow it might be true, im not going to belive it until the battery is released or the data on the memory card is released. that way we all no that its true.

Bobtentpeg
June 26th, 2007, 03:45
the data has been released, and its not a meter of teh battery being released, it a mater of the battery being replicated

buildit92
June 26th, 2007, 03:49
wait, im talking about we can acculy see it and put it on ours, and if it is, can someone send me the link.

xcjzerox
June 26th, 2007, 03:52
I will said this ones no more fw 4.00
and no more games thank you.. all of this dw
comon why don't you relise it when good game comes out

Psyberjock
June 26th, 2007, 04:24
I would have to say that he did use the official battery. Notice how he removes the battery door, puts in a memory stick, then quickly puts a battery into the PSP. Then when he starts it it begins some sort of checklist, which he is reluctant to show clearly.

Once it is all updated, he restarts the PSP and it is downgraded to 2.71. Most softdowns are to 1.50. No one really downgrades to 2.71 do they? 2.71 still requires some slightly tricky steps to get it to a custom firmware. If he was truly doing something in the realm of standard homebrew he wouldn't go to 2.71 and he wouldn't take the battery back out as soon as he booted some non-existent homebrew checklist.

These guys probably just shot themselves in the foot. Sony won't take kindly to having an official restore battery being used in such a way. If they truely had a homebrew version of the battery then they'd be safe, but considering it's China, I bet it's a stolen official one. But at the same time, it is China, I wonder what Sony can do?

Veskgar
June 26th, 2007, 04:30
The first thing that caught my eye was that they seemingly pulled out a brand new PSP (could have been staged, I know) and the PSP had 3.50 pre-installed from the SONY factory? I didn't think PSP's were even shipping with 3.40 yet, let alone 3.50. Are PSP's really starting to arrive with 3.50 firmware pre-installed?

the data has been released, and its not a meter of teh battery being released, it a mater of the battery being replicated

Yeah, I'm with you there. This comes from China lets not forget. If generic jigkick batteries are going to be replicated, it would not surprise me that they are being made in China.

I'm still hoping for a possible downgrader using the Lumines exploit, but for the right price, it would be nice to have a JigKick battery replica lying around.

ish420ism
June 26th, 2007, 05:58
I would have to say that he did use the official battery. Notice how he removes the battery door, puts in a memory stick, then quickly puts a battery into the PSP. Then when he starts it it begins some sort of checklist, which he is reluctant to show clearly.

These guys probably just shot themselves in the foot. Sony won't take kindly to having an official restore battery being used in such a way. If they truely had a homebrew version of the battery then they'd be safe, but considering it's China, I bet it's a stolen official one. But at the same time, it is China, I wonder what Sony can do?

I'm with Psyberjock on this. It seems to be an official Sony Firmware Restore Kit(SFRK). Wouldn't doubt sony in creating this, with the original designing of the psp. As for the visual deprivation of the other side of the psp screen, it is highly likely that there is a checklist process, maybe an identification of the SFRK, which would identify which factory carried it. I doubt many people coming across this thing anytime soon, if ever. So, No, sony is not loosing the war, nor are they engaged in any war, especially not with us, forum heads. It seems sony has a neat toy we all would like to have. Why not get our gears turning and figure out how to make our own. Without the original design.

P.S. BLAH BLAH BLAH:rofl:

Buddy4point0
June 26th, 2007, 06:21
awsome! i cant wait for the homebrew comunity to get ahold of that

Thomly
June 26th, 2007, 08:27
When he opens the box and gets the psp, you notice that the psp isn't new. If you start it up for the first time, he'll ask the date and language and stuff, and this psp doesn't...

pibs
June 26th, 2007, 08:41
nobody said it was a new psp.... might be refurbished or something its just a shop making money downgrading psp's sounds pretty reasonable.Knowing the huge black market over there the battery was most likely stolen.

jonezybaby
June 26th, 2007, 09:06
When he opens the box and gets the psp, you notice that the psp isn't new. If you start it up for the first time, he'll ask the date and language and stuff, and this psp doesn't...

i was going to say that but u beat me 2 it lol

~~roach~~
June 26th, 2007, 09:22
i dont care weather or not it was new, used, or hangin out his @$$. I just want to be able to downgrade from 3.50 without much trouble so i can play my nes roms as well as my psp games. is that to much to ask for

~~roach~~
June 26th, 2007, 09:35
1 other thing if this store is charging to do it, tell me were to send it and i will UPS mine and my brothers to them, we both want our emulators to work.
http://www.denverbrown.com/07pot.jpg

jonezybaby
June 26th, 2007, 11:59
Once it is all updated, he restarts the PSP and it is downgraded to 2.71. Most softdowns are to 1.50. No one really downgrades to 2.71 do they? 2.71 still requires some slightly tricky steps to get it to a custom firmware. If he was truly doing something in the realm of standard homebrew he wouldn't go to 2.71 and he wouldn't take the battery back out as soon as he booted some non-existent homebrew checklist.

if memory serves me right, if u try directly downgradin a TA-082+ board to 1.5 BRICK!!!!! u still need to go to 2.71 and use the generic downgrade that bypasses the 1.5 check and stops it brickin! thus why hes goes to 2.71, we no the 2.71 downgrader works, i rest my case!!

Aryn
June 26th, 2007, 12:24
Before there was a working 2.0 to 1.5 downgrader a group called WAB managed to scam people into sending them money for development of a downgrader over a bunch of videos they posted online. DO NOT TRUST A VIDEO THAT COULD EASILY BE FAKED, WAIT FOR SOME ACTUAL RESULTS.

tvrstl
June 26th, 2007, 12:33

it's not tricky to downgrade 2.71, it's the easyest fw to downgrade, I personaly think. but don't misunderstand me,, I get your point, why not all the way down?

hodey
June 26th, 2007, 13:31
Who cares. We'll have the Lumines exploit soon enough and all theese bogus "downgraders" will be forgotten

Gold Line
June 26th, 2007, 13:35
i smell a fake video :rolleyes:

Vangar
June 26th, 2007, 15:22
nobody said it was a new psp.... might be refurbished or something its just a shop making money downgrading psp's sounds pretty reasonable.Knowing the huge black market over there the battery was most likely stolen.

I was going to write that, so yeah, good point.

Cokemusic
June 26th, 2007, 15:35
i smell a fake video :rolleyes:

Your a nintendo Wii user , your input has no validity :)

Elven6
June 26th, 2007, 15:50
Heh I don't think Communist Red will like this, even if that is the battery how will it help users downgrade when its not available for public use.

blaz3d
June 26th, 2007, 16:00
it's not tricky to downgrade 2.71, it's the easyest fw to downgrade, I personaly think. but don't misunderstand me,, I get your point, why not all the way down?

because of the IDStorage problems that T0-82 and above motherboards have, remember that all the normal downgraders to 1.5 used to brick those motherboards!

the 0-79 boards wouldnt have that problem but its better safe than sorry!!
also if its actucally official it mabey the SFRK was the one for 2.71 (just an idea)

peace

xcjzerox
June 26th, 2007, 16:03
is there something to fix the idstorage from ta82

grantlionheart
June 26th, 2007, 16:27
I dont understand what they mean by Official unbricking battery, A bettery is a means to store power, nothing more, how could you have a data file on it?

As for the downgrade im sure it could be true, the chinese are always the forerunners of the hacking front. so it wouldn't surprise me.

mike_jmg
June 26th, 2007, 16:47
This seems very real, cause he uses the battery to start the process

I'm with blaz3d this must be a restore kit from back when 2.71 was out and wasn't downgradable

if memory serves me right, if u try directly downgradin a TA-082+ board to 1.5 BRICK!!!!! u still need to go to 2.71 and use the generic downgrade that bypasses the 1.5 check and stops it brickin! thus why hes goes to 2.71, we no the 2.71 downgrader works, i rest my case!!

I donīt think so since the jigkick battery was supposedly made for unbricking, it would be very lame to have an unbricking kit that bricks your psp again (LOL)

...yeah of course it's stolen, and I think we are going to see a downgrader from lumines exploit before we can see clone batteries on the market

mike_jmg
June 26th, 2007, 16:54
I dont understand what they mean by Official unbricking battery, A bettery is a means to store power, nothing more, how could you have a data file on it?

As I see, maybe you have a life and havenīt been around lately (no offense, to anyone else, especially me).

This rumor of an unbricking battery has been around quite some time, and some say it's possible since the battery that comes with your psp has some sort of circuit board (so maybe this jigkick battery has some special board, that access the psp through the third pin)

KuLeD00d
June 26th, 2007, 17:39
Lets eliminate some things here with one possible fact and one truth.

#1 - IF you look VERY VERY closely in the video you actually see a ASCII art of "OK" on the PSP screen once he is done.

#2 - Why go to 2.71 ? Because as others have said. thats the firmware this battery did! Think about it, why would we have a PSP battery with 3.50 in circulation? We'd have to have people inside Sony itself to do that. This is something thats eventually wormed its way out.

there was a final thing I was gonna add but I cannot remmeber it now.

pt9087
June 26th, 2007, 18:56
Why does this look dodgy,

1. He pulles out a "brand new PSP" with firmware 3.50
2. The battery is full! eh?
3. Its in a shop... Isnt that illegal?
4. Magic... the psp turns its self off before he gets to put the "downgrade" battery in, and he doesnt go anywere near the power switch.
5. BSOD, Were is it? this happens from flash"s basically getting confuzzled.

There is 5 perfectly good answers there, but i still belive this is not fake!

psp411
June 26th, 2007, 19:39
I donīt think so since the jigkick battery was supposedly made for unbricking, it would be very lame to have an unbricking kit that bricks your psp again (LOL)

The Ta-082 mobos were made so that they can't run any fw below 2.5. Since this jigkick was only to be used by sony to recover bricked psps and to update them to the current official firmware and not for downgrading, then it makes sense why he would downgrade to 2.71.
Therefore, it would in theory brick ta-082 psp if you tried to go back to 1.5.

Why does this look dodgy,

1. He pulles out a "brand new PSP" with firmware 3.50

2. The battery is full! eh?

1: it could've been used.... we dont know if its brand new... he didnt exactly take it out of the box during the video... alll we saw was the foam that holds the actual unit itself

2: when i bought ma 1st psp, the battery was full so if it is "brand new" then it could've had a brand new charged battery :p

i think that this video is valid and hopefully, what is shown in it can be replicated for future use in the homebrew community... anyways, i need this for my old ta-09 bricked mobo :D :cool:

mike_jmg
June 26th, 2007, 19:46
1. not brand new, maybe packed back by user
2. battery is not full, is not even inside, right away he puts the AC adapter (that's why the light is green) (other parts, jigkick full)
3. Yes it is
4. unbricking battery is inside just a little bit to boot then AC adapter is still plugged in
5. BSOD? (don't know WTF stands for)

psp411
June 26th, 2007, 19:50
1. not brand new, maybe packed back by user
2. battery is not full, is not even inside, right away he puts the AC adapter (that's why the light is green) (other parts, jigkick full)
3. Yes it is
4. unbricking battery is inside just a little bit to boot then AC adapter is still plugged in

i agree 100%

pt9087
June 26th, 2007, 19:53

Blue Screen Of Death.

acn010
June 26th, 2007, 19:56
my eyes are crying of joy ;)

mike_jmg
June 26th, 2007, 19:56
The Ta-082 mobos were made so that they can't run any fw below 2.5. Since this jigkick was only to be used by sony to recover bricked psps and to update them to the current official firmware and not for downgrading, then it makes sense why he would downgrade to 2.71.
Therefore, it would in theory brick ta-082 psp if you tried to go back to 1.5.

You're right but I'm saying it's not downgrade, it's like some device to install that firmware and no other. on a bricked psp (much likely non bricked too)

Maybe some lame attempt from sony to ban homebrew back when 2.71 wasn't downgradable. Imagine back then, you bricked your psp, hand it over to sony and they would give it back unbricked but with the latest firmware FROM THEN, wich HAD no exploits.

So this guy got hold of this, steal, black market, something
and that's it!

DragonPimpsta
June 26th, 2007, 21:00
WHOAAAAAAAAAAA!!

im not excited about the china 3.5 being downgraded BUT the video automatically started playing while i was outside the room, all i opened was th front page of dcemu and i heard all this BASS in my room, and i was like wtf is that sound? then i looked at hte page for like 5 minutes, and i had to scroll allt he way down to find this... really scared me

crypysmoker
June 26th, 2007, 22:55
I really dont feel like reading all these replies of kids who have no clue what they are talking about...

But...

Did anyone see the guy take the battery cover off, put an object into the battery compartment, start the psp then pull it out hiding it in his hand??? Because any Brand new psp I have ever bought does not have the battery already installed into it when u first buy it.
I do belive they are using not only this secret mem stick but they also have the debug/dev battery or somthing similar because he does defanately put something into the compartment and take it out just after rebooting it. the only reason the psp is still runing is because he plugs it in first thing.

Sorry if anyone else brought this up, but like I said I didnt want to read a bunch of posts from kids wanting to downgrade there 3.5 right now

Psyberjock
June 26th, 2007, 23:15
I really dont feel like reading all these replies of kids who have no clue what they are talking about...

But...

Did anyone see the guy take the battery cover off, put an object into the battery compartment, start the psp then pull it out hiding it in his hand??? Because any Brand new psp I have ever bought does not have the battery already installed into it when u first buy it.
I do belive they are using not only this secret mem stick but they also have the debug/dev battery or somthing similar because he does defanately put something into the compartment and take it out just after rebooting it. the only reason the psp is still runing is because he plugs it in first thing.

Sorry if anyone else brought this up, but like I said I didnt want to read a bunch of posts from kids wanting to downgrade there 3.5 right now

Well perhaps if you would have read just a few replies you would notice that we're not all a bunch of kids whining about downgrading. We've addressed everyone of your points and several others that you didn't mention.

We did all of that and we even made fewer spelling errors in all of our posts combined than you did in your single post. Makes me wonder who the kid is in here.

sonofsamus
June 26th, 2007, 23:18
Did anyone see the guy take the battery cover off, put an object into the battery compartment, start the psp then pull it out hiding it in his hand???. . . I do belive they are using not only this secret mem stick but they also have the debug/dev battery
Yeah, that's pretty much what this whole thread has been talking about.

like I said I didnt want to read a bunch of posts from kids
If you had, it would have saved you the trouble of making a new post completely devoid of original thought. Maybe we don't want to read YOUR posts. =P

h4s30
June 26th, 2007, 23:31
ahhhh its pretty obvious its the jigkick if you've been paying attention then you know that the jigkick consist of battery and memstick what did the person do to his psp??? he inserted a battery and memstick

the psp is not new either he took it out a different box than the psp box i also want to think there is more than one in the box

and maria sharapova is sooooooo fricken hot omg holy jesus i think i'm in love lol jp but she is hot

GAMERMAN0620
June 26th, 2007, 23:32
so is that video a hoax or downgrading 3.5 able???

irishwhip
June 26th, 2007, 23:37
christ, this place is getting worse than gamefaqs

Airdevil
June 26th, 2007, 23:39
i wish they would remove this video from the front page for the psp site.

While the news is very exciting if its not fake. I really dislike the sounds coming off the video when im trying to read the other news. Esp when i have music playing, thanks.

:thumbup:

burrito
June 27th, 2007, 00:34
evolve, please stop posting rumors in the News section. Everyone hates rumors.

mike_jmg
June 27th, 2007, 02:38
Blue Screen Of Death.

ups my bad,

but also it wouldnīt have the blue screen since youīre not downgrading, youīre unbricking.

well unbricking a non bricked psp, sort of like when you format your cpu and re-install operative sistem, like you had XP and then put win98

camcorderdoctor
June 27th, 2007, 02:46
Admins - PLEASE REMOVE THE VIDEO! Thanks

~~roach~~
June 27th, 2007, 06:38
ok people this has to be a hoax
1. The unit is definatly a used or refurb, because of 3.50
2. Why if it is being done in china is the psp set to english language(maybe they did it for the video but i doubt it)
3. Why would they risk being sued by Sony by posting the video, its not like Sony couldnt track down the source of the sender.http://fake.arttoday.org/images/pe4at.png

Psyberjock
June 27th, 2007, 15:24
ok people this has to be a hoax
1. The unit is definatly a used or refurb, because of 3.50
2. Why if it is being done in china is the psp set to english language(maybe they did it for the video but i doubt it)
3. Why would they risk being sued by Sony by posting the video, its not like Sony couldnt track down the source of the sender.

1. Assuming this is a store that downgrades existing firmware, of course it is used. Someone probably brought it in or mailed it in to have it downgraded. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a little showmanship when advertising a service. Commercials on TV do that all the time.

2. People speak English all over the world. Especially in Hong Kong, a former British colony and arguably the most modern city in China.

3. I wondered this myself, but I guess it's because Sony can't really do anything other than ask China to punish the people doing this, but given China's stance on copyright laws, nothing is likely to happen.

The PSP was designed to be unbricked. That's why you can send your PSP to Sony and have it fixed if you brick it. I don't see why someone using the PSP as it was designed to be used is a hoax.

Obviously I've come to the conclusion that this is indeed a stolen Sony firmware installing kit.

burrito
June 27th, 2007, 15:54
Maybe the video was Fanjita using the new 3.50 downgrader, before it was released, and was slightly different...

Mr. Shizzy
June 28th, 2007, 20:41
Obviously I've come to the conclusion that this is indeed a stolen Sony firmware installing kit.

Quoted for truth :)

voorheesda
June 28th, 2007, 23:21
this is good! but it is super annoying that the video autostarts everytime i visit dcemu

tallica
June 29th, 2007, 00:42
Still cant decide wether this is legit or not.

GSA1508
June 29th, 2007, 11:07
Actually I have been living for more than 1.5 years now in china, In Guangdong province, at 1.5 hours from Shenzhen, and another hour/ 2 hours distance to Hong Kong Downtown.

In both cities I have visited all the electronic areas; and even I prefer Hong Kong for being more secure; in both places you can find a lot of NEW gadgets for the PSP and also a lot of fakes, tricks and other stuff is forbiden to talk about here, but you get the idea. I do not want to minish the great work of people in Europe and America trying to come with new software, downgraders, etc.... but here people get access to a lot of information (schematics and parts as well) sometimes out of the correct channels; and therefore are able to either use that, copy it and/or make their own versions. I got a nice replacement battery for the PSP with Double capacity; and the 4Gb harddrive for PSP since last year. Both products are not SONY's products, but work very well.

Somebody mentioned on the thread that the store seems to be a Videogames store. well, actually this is the perfect place to find whatever you are looking for your games stuff; and in one of those stores I got a used PSP for the price of 100 Dollars, with frimware 3.03-c and recently even they gave me an upgrade to 3.30-oe for free .... :cool:

Next time I go to Hong Kong I will talk to my "supplier" and try to find out more information about this and to see if they will try to start selling or not the baterry to the public in general or to some "selected" customers ......