PDA

View Full Version : Cave Story PSP port

wraggster
June 26th, 2007, 06:27
News/release from ufoz (http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/92540.html)

http://cavestorypsp.googlepages.com/cs-psp-0.02.jpg/cs-psp-0.02-large.jpg

I wanted to do an actual free homebrew Cave Story PSP port for quite a while now. What with the Variant deal being mostly unclear / cancelled / whatever, it's time I got off my ass and tried it.

Finally got Pixel's approval and the source code. It looks doable, but at ~50000 lines of code it's a little daunting.

This is the preview version that I sent to Pixel, so it's mostly guesswork and buggy and certainly feels different from the original. Playable up to the first boss fight. Dual-language English and Japanese :) Tested on 3.10, should work unmodified with most custom firmware.

Will try to do this in four stages:
1. get the windows version working with the alternate screen size (480x272)
2. port filesystem+graphics+input handling
3. port sound+music
4. add menus (key config) etc.

I expect this will take a while, so I guess I'll try my best.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

SpacemanSpiff
June 26th, 2007, 06:46
Grreat news, I <3 Cave Story. Trying this out now.
EDIT: Wow this is really impressive stuff!

Buddy4point0
June 26th, 2007, 07:33
hmm, looks nice. im going to download it and try it.

edit: it plays pretty nice and is very good

Vangar
June 26th, 2007, 10:13
This is great work! I'm sure many people will follow development and be with you on this! Even more so that you've got official confirmation from the creator, which is excellent.

devmas
June 26th, 2007, 13:46
Oh wow, this was almost like a dream of mine! I will try this out immediately!

or, at least, that is what I would have said, if my PSP was not stolen from me...

Oh well. But, I do have one question... is the music the same as the original PC one, with the cool, synthesized music? But... this is definitely one project I look forward to trying one day :)

SpacemanSpiff
June 26th, 2007, 14:33
Yep, the music was the same as the PC version

pt9087
June 26th, 2007, 19:01
Wow, nice d/ling!

BelmontSlayer
June 26th, 2007, 23:11
I wanted to do an actual free homebrew Cave Story PSP port for quite a while now. I expect this will take a while, so I guess I'll try my best.

I LOVE YOU.

Cave Story = PC Classic

h4s30
June 27th, 2007, 00:02
well when i get my 2gig i'll save some space for you and you know you have a good game when people come back to edit their post so finish the game bro and become a psp hero

and i've never played cave story either so i'm hoping for a good time

wolfpack
June 27th, 2007, 04:29
cavestory is an awesome freeware game, i hope the game gets fully ported soon, its a great classic

AlexG1989
October 8th, 2010, 05:33
sorry to ressurect a deceased thread but I just got the full version of this game working on my PSP. Great job OP and AWESOME job Pixel. This game is incredible. I haven't had this much fun with a side-scroller since Astro Boy on the Gameboy Advance...