PDA

View Full Version : Powder RPG v0.86

wraggster
June 26th, 2007, 20:10
Brandon has updated his Roguelike RPG Game (http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about) for the DS and GBA (2 Seperate Versions), heres the long whats new:

Warning: The keyboard handling for SDL started as an ugly hack trying to present to POWDER the button layout of the GBA. I've largely removed that hack in exchange for a system that uses peeking of keys rather than trying to track keyboard states. This should be easier to manage and less error prone. However, be warned that there may be cases where hitting the wrong key causes POWDER to hang. If you encounter such a thing, please let me know! Similarly, you will note the repeat rate for keypresses is now unified. I'd appreciate any comments if this is a better or worse situation.
Exciting: This version introduces the ability to replace POWDER's tile set on platforms other than the GBA by merely adding the correct file to the correct directory. Look for the Art Pack which has directions on how to do this.

I've hit my 256th tile. ARGH!!!
Added Belweir's library to level 21.
Minotaur moved up to level 15, caverns now start a level earlier.
The creature memory of your intrinsics is now saved.
Creature kill list now sorted by creature difficulty - highest expvalue creatures will show first.
If you fizzle a wand zap, the wand is now marked as cursed.
Throwing cursed weapons or potions has a chance of fumbling and throwing them on the ground. In this case their cursed state will be noted.
New skill, ambidextrous.
The floppy hat and plain robes are gaudy, not guady. (David Damerell)
Wielding a platemail in the off hand no longer grants you a powerful shield.
You can now patch the Windows, Linux, and DS versions by adding a subdirectory called "gfx" with the appropriate .bmp files. You can find template .bmp files inside the latest artpack. The new graphics options show up as "From Disk" in the Tile menu.
Due to a mixup in the DS community, I've taken a hit to my humility stat to add my name to the title screen. Hopefully this clears up the confusion there.
Your armour value now reflects your skill in your armour, so as you gain skills your armour value will go up. You will see much higher values now, but the underlying code hasn't changed.
Funny messages inform you if you try to walk out of the map. (David Damerell)
Lava tiles are always lit now.
Quizar's level is now dark.
Chainmail is a flexible, not an flexible.
Paper items that fall in lava burn now.
Divination now spelled correctly. (David Damerell)
Corpses, statues, and bones are now "a brown slug corpse". This is shorter than "a corpse of a brown slug" and also avoids embarassing phrases like "stop playing with corpses of a brown slug". (David Damerell)
Sapphire, not saphire. Conscious, not concious. Rat tails, not tales. (David Damerell)
[L] and [R] work as page up and page down in text viewers.
If your secondary weapon is two handed, it will no longer attack during dual wield.
You are explicitly allowed to put two handed weapons in your off hand if your primary hand is single-handed. They will not dual-wield but this may be useful in the case of staves.
Equipping a two handed weapon will dequip your shield to free up the space.
[SDL] 100% CPU usage on some menus is fixed. (R. Alan Monroe)
[SDL] Previously, it was possible to get into a bad state where POWDER will be idle but would stop accepting key presses. This would often happen on info screens. This has been fixed, but I may have introduced new problems :< (R. Alan Monroe)
[Linux] The executable bit should be set on the powder executable in Linux. (David Damerell)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

w00tman X
August 8th, 2007, 04:37
w00tz! Brilliant. I love this kind of game. And, this one is made very well. Despite it's horrible graphics, of course.