PDA

View Full Version : Need to borrow hardware!

deniska
June 26th, 2007, 22:08
Hi,
I'd like to add more devices to the program's compatibility list before I push out version 0.5.
My friends at http://pc-mobile.net/ confirmed that PSP's serial interface is compatible with following receivers:
Garmin GPS60 / GPS76
Magellan Meridian
Lowrance iFinder Map & music

Unfortunately, there are some hickups in the NMEA parsing logic, which are very hard to fix w/o actually having the devices... So if you own one of there receivers and don't mind lending them to me for 2-3 weeks please PM me for details.

You'll need to ship it to me at your expense ;-)
Once I'm done, I'll send it back to you (will pay for shipping it back) with a factory made data cable for your device. - I got a few cables from pc-mobile for my testing...

Codaz
June 27th, 2007, 00:08
This is a serial cable right ?

This means that version 0.5 is coming in a month or maybe later.

Couldn't you better give out 0.5 so that you please everyone and then work in al peace on 0.51 or maybe even 0.6 ?

I think that users are demanding 0.5 so hard that you can't let them wait another month for official 0.5

If so, unofficial versions will rise and you loose control of what people are using and many many questions come up of features that arent working or people using the wrong software.

See 0.5 as a safe zone. Those "fairly new" GPS devices aren't demanded very hard. They are optional.

Codaz

Russoxley187
June 27th, 2007, 01:19
I agree with Codaz..
Man, I check this site like once an hr...
No joke...
BTW, I got the new cable from them guys.. Its awesome..

r2000
June 27th, 2007, 03:30
I think it does no one any harm to release a "beta" just to keep many people quiet.

skylife
June 27th, 2007, 05:06
just be patient ppl, good things take time. :)

nerd.geek
June 27th, 2007, 14:21
I agree with codaz, it would be great to have a .5 to tie us over, I'm like Russoxley187, keep checking these forums every hour or every day since installing Mapthis !!!

I can't wait for the voice instructions and dont really want to use the unofficial Mapthis...

However I kinda understand if Deniska doesn't want to release it yet, hey its up to him !

Anyway not to get off topic, I don't have one of the above devices but would be more than happy to lend them to you if I did.

deniska
June 27th, 2007, 16:01
I know many of people are anxious to get a newer version, but as the code's complexity grows it takes progresively larger amount of time to "properly" test and document all features... Putting out minor-change releases and un-tested "betas" really backfires at me since people owervealm the forums with repetitive questions and references to numerous versions...

Please also understand that this is a non-comercial project, so real-life's events take precedence :-)
Don't get personally offended if sometimes I miss the "projected" date or don't reply to some questions....

MIB.42
June 27th, 2007, 19:39
I know many of people are anxious to get a newer version, but as the code's complexity grows it takes progresively larger amount of time to "properly" test and document all features... Putting out minor-change releases and un-tested "betas" really backfires at me since people owervealm the forums with repetitive questions and references to numerous versions...

Please also understand that this is a non-comercial project, so real-life's events take precedence :-)
Don't get personally offended if sometimes I miss the "projected" date or don't reply to some questions....

Deniska, I tried sending you PMs, but they all bounced back... I had a discussion with atari800 on code releases and "unofficial betas". He is quite a bright fellow and agreed with exactly what you wrote above. Also, asked you about work/priorities you want me to focus on. I will be doing the MP3 player after some more GPSFS_util polishing. ?

Cheers, MIB.42

deniska
June 28th, 2007, 06:08
MIB.42, sorry for bounced PMs - my mailbox get's full every few days and I forget to clean it...
As far as priorities go - I wanted to clean up NMEA parsing and extend support to other serial devices..
Also, I would like to create a separate "trip computer" screen for situations when map imagery is not available (going out of map's range or don't have a map at all). This screen may have more trip data: (avg moving speed, top speed, etc) - If geodata file is present - it may also display nearest street crossing ahead; perhaps some info about a waypoint or nearby POI if corresponding file was selected...

As far as mp3 player goes - I don't see it as top priority, since you can already do it, multitasking in IrShell....

Codaz
June 28th, 2007, 12:07
Deniska when will the new version be available then ?
Maybe MIB.42 or atari800 can help you code.

crater
July 2nd, 2007, 05:49
Glad to see you have your priories clear Deniska. I'll patiently wait for it, but i hope we get .5 before i do a road trip things with all my friends coming up in a few weeks. :-D

Just got my 290 in the other day from play asia, is working like a charm with the latest release.

Codaz
July 2nd, 2007, 16:56
Don't be too sure on that crater. So far nobody has lend Deniska the equip he needs so he can't develop further.

I don't have those machines, too bad.