PDA

View Full Version : The value of content

EvilSeph
June 27th, 2007, 07:24
Seeing as this is not the first time this has happened and possibly because this time it is a news release of epic proportion (comparatively), I just have to comment on how disappointed I am with the news staff at DCEmu as they continuously seem to take "time" over "content". When someone takes the time and effort to make a news article presentable so that it may appear on the front page - that shows dedication, caring and intelligence. Something news sites seem to lack these days as articles are often full of errors both of the grammar and spelling nature or they are mere 3 line posts.

As opposed to a properly formatted and professionally written article, a mere 3 liner is a joke to say the least. And when someone has taken that extra minute or so to make it look professional for the benefit of DCEmu, only to be spat in the face by a member of the news staff stating: "This news has already been posted." is an outrage, not to mention gives evidence to the fact that the news staff merely read the article name, possibly glance at the article and then decide it's been posted already. The logical thing to do would be to use the better article - but that doesn't seem to come to thought for any of the news staff here.

Not to put down anybody's hard work, but when that hard work results in a loss of quality then that works needs to be questioned. Picking a mere 3 liner over a full blown article brings one thought to mind: carelessness.

Pardon the rant, but I'm sure many other people want to know why the better article was not used (the one that actually contained the full contents AND what the original author requested) and hope a response full of thought and care is provided because this is truly an outrage. I've seen people witness this happening or have this happen to them and then deciding never to post a news article at DCEmu again. I'm sure this is not what you want, so please shed some light on the situation.

I was going to provide proof of my claims, but that well written article has been deleted or hidden (as someone wise once put it: "Just to add insult to injury, all that time was wasted and pointless as NO ONE will see it.") [if for whatever reason you want an example, the article that was written was about the 3.50 downgrader] and I noticed the Administration had to rectify the poor choice of decision soon after the 3-liner was posted.

kando
June 27th, 2007, 07:30
oooo oo first post (how ironic)

indeed true...words of wisdom.

Wally
June 27th, 2007, 07:30
I'd also like to add onto this in regards to DCEmu's Future / health.

** Downloads tend to cut themselves after a certain amount of time / bandwidth on a dialup connection hence wasting everyone who is on dialup's time.

** The website starts to load then starts misbehaving and corrupting itself coming up with some random HTML at where it stopped, usually it takes about 5 refreshes to correct itself.

** I have tried contacting wraggster quite often about the problems but they seem to be ignored 95% of the time or not addressed.

** DCEmu badly needs to partner with other gaming sites. It makes no sense how stuff is taken from other sites but its not credited

I do like DCEmu its a great place. It just needs a lot of things fixing up, adding onto and gluing things together.

I'll offer to clean up if someone in admin gives me global moderator and we have a meeting about staff (maybe some changes regarding it as it seems many are not active)

Thanks

Wally

ninja9393
June 27th, 2007, 07:37
I agree DCEmu needs some fixing up to do

Its not the same place as when i joined and really started to post as ninja9393

and that was a while ago

But i still think DCEmu is a awesome site

kcajblue
June 27th, 2007, 07:45
yeah.
in the short time i have been here the site has changed.

LordSturm
June 27th, 2007, 08:31
Tis true, ...

/me sobs.

Indeed some news sites are just relays for psp news, when infact one could easily out present the rest. :D

bah
June 27th, 2007, 11:04
Wally: what browser are you using? I'm on firefox 2.0.0.4 and have no issues with pages rendering incorrectly.
Ive had that issue with the downloads but only say once or twice in the 100+ downloads ive made from the site.

I don't know why it appears to happen to some people more than others, possibly something to do with your browser/ISP caching files.
I saw someone say that choosing open file not save as fixed it for him, and that is certainly client side not on dcemu's end.

Sure some of the news posts that make the front page could do with a little more journalism and less copy/pasting from other sites, but then again I rarely submit news so I guess I'm not helping the site either am I.

Man
June 27th, 2007, 17:43
I dont know what decides value of content, its different in different peoples eyes, some people dont need a long winded explanation, others prefer different things, i could care less, as long as the info i need is there.

parkermauney
June 27th, 2007, 20:22
I would love a lite version of dcemu, it literally takes about 2-4 minutes to load a page on the psp, and about 30 seconds a page on the pc at times.

Kaiser
June 27th, 2007, 21:20
We've been trying a number of different ways of trying to improve our news posting. I have even added a new staff group to help post original and well written news articles. Of course we still want to cover as much news as we can, so sometimes we have to sacrifice "orginality" by getting sourced news from other sites. Remember that DCemu's staff is entirely made up of volunteers (my self included) and we sometimes don't have time to do somethings.

I suggest contacting me personally when such problems occur again EvilSeph. I always answer my PMs and will try to get back to you ASAP.

** Downloads tend to cut themselves after a certain amount of time / bandwidth on a dialup connection hence wasting everyone who is on dialup's time

We're still looking into this. But again, a vast majority of our users never have any problems.

** The website starts to load then starts misbehaving and corrupting itself coming up with some random HTML at where it stopped, usually it takes about 5 refreshes to correct itself.
Under certain circumstances this does happen. Another thing we're trying to improve.

** I have tried contacting wraggster quite often about the problems but they seem to be ignored 95% of the time or not addressed.
Contact another Admin instead. Wraggs is almost always too busy to answer PMs.

I'll offer to clean up if someone in admin gives me global moderator and we have a meeting about staff (maybe some changes regarding it as it seems many are not active)
I've worked hard to keep the staff team well kept up. I assure you no one is inactive. Some just simply do different work then moderate and visit on the public forums.

VampDude
June 27th, 2007, 21:50
I'd also like to add onto this in regards to DCEmu's Future / health.

** Downloads tend to cut themselves after a certain amount of time / bandwidth on a dialup connection hence wasting everyone who is on dialup's time.

** DCEmu badly needs to partner with other gaming sites. It makes no sense how stuff is taken from other sites but its not credited

I do like DCEmu its a great place. It just needs a lot of things fixing up, adding onto and gluing things together.

Thanks

Wally

You say stuff is taken but not credited from other sites, but what you don't see is when a news post is made it usually says where it originally came from...

...So if that's not credit, I don't know what is!

dejkirkby
June 27th, 2007, 22:05
I must say I tend to agree with a lot of EvilSeph's points. As an Admin on a Gaming site, copy and pasting 3-line articles pisses me off. Sometimes that is all there is on offer, but if there is a choice between a 3-line post and a well-written article, I'd rather use that as a source every single time.

SnesR0X
June 27th, 2007, 22:23
The only real thing for me is that indeed only the ads and logo load, and then the rest of the page remains blue, even though it says it is done loading. What's worse is that it is becoming more and more frequent. :(

VampDude
June 27th, 2007, 22:27
The only real thing for me is that indeed only the ads and logo load, and then the rest of the page remains blue, even though it says it is done loading. What's worse is that it is becoming more and more frequent. :(

That's due to server overload, the server cannot finish loading the page. It's easy to resolve by simply tapping the reload/refresh button

EvilSeph
June 27th, 2007, 23:34
The issue I have is not about originality but instead that your news staff looked at both articles and decided just because the 3-liner was already posted on the front page, that it was better. They then locked the complete, full blown article and it was later deleted.

Thanks for your concern and reply. :)

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 00:28
The issue I have is not about originality but instead that your news staff looked at both articles and decided just because the 3-liner was already posted on the front page, that it was better. They then locked the complete, full blown article and it was later deleted.

Thanks for your concern and reply. :)

Doesn't make any sense, why would they delete a fuller version of a news article? It was probably moved!

EvilSeph
June 28th, 2007, 00:47
Moved, deleted, hidden. Same thing to a normal user. Fact remains the public can no longer see that article - not even the author can see it.

pibs
June 28th, 2007, 00:54
wasn't it cloudy who released the other article? I think i saw that when it first came out. and got shut down by a mod for the other article because it had a picture.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 00:58
Moved, deleted, hidden. Same thing to a normal user. Fact remains the public can no longer see that article - not even the author can see it.

If you have any problems with DCEmu I suggest you talk to an moderator/admin about it, as there might of been a reason as to why it was "removed"

kando
June 28th, 2007, 01:46
We've been trying a number of different ways of trying to improve our news posting. I have even added a new staff group to help post original and well written news articles. Of course we still want to cover as much news as we can, so sometimes we have to sacrifice "orginality" by getting sourced news from other sites. Remember that DCemu's staff is entirely made up of volunteers (my self included) and we sometimes don't have time to do somethings.

you still havent addressed the reason why 2 posts existed, and the better one was disreguarded because it was not as quick as the 3liner.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 02:24
you still havent addressed the reason why 2 posts existed, and the better one was disreguarded because it was not as quick as the 3liner.

The longer one was possibly moved, also it was probably/possibly deleted through a misunderstanding that it held more information than the original of only 3 lines???

SnesR0X
June 28th, 2007, 02:29
That's due to server overload, the server cannot finish loading the page. It's easy to resolve by simply tapping the reload/refresh button

Yes, it is the obvious thing to do:p

It is still however, extremely annoying, and sometimes it takes 3-4 refreshes to load the damn page

Cloudhunter
June 28th, 2007, 02:42
I admit that mine was an copy and paste... However, the fact remains I spent a long time trying to get everything looking exactly how it was on the actual post - not easy without a wysiwyg editor.

I was also searching for ages how to get the donate link to work properly and to get the Amazon links right.

It wasn't so much that I wanted credit - far from it, however I was annoyed that I did all that work for nothing... I wouldn't have even minded if my post was just transfered into the original article.

After all, I like DCEmu, and want it to be the best it can possibly be... I wouldn't post on just any old site.

Cloudy

EvilSeph
June 28th, 2007, 03:11
The longer one was possibly moved, also it was probably/possibly deleted through a misunderstanding that it held more information than the original of only 3 lines???

That didn't make any sense at all.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 04:38
Yes, it is the obvious thing to do:p

It is still however, extremely annoying, and sometimes it takes 3-4 refreshes to load the damn page

I only need to refresh twice, I often have other tabs loading data when I'm changing pages here on DCEmu. Which if the first refresh doesn't work the 2nd will as the other pages have loaded (often browser slowdown as well as server slowdowns) :D

That didn't make any sense at all.

Neither do you, a post got deleted/moved it's not really the end of the world is it?

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/images/smilies_final/violin.gif (violin for added dramatization)

JKKDARK
June 28th, 2007, 04:45
I don't have any problem loading the different pages on DCEmu. Maybe because I'm not a dialup user ?

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 05:04
I don't have any problem loading the different pages on DCEmu. Maybe because I'm not a dialup user ?

Neither am I, people on dialup should really stop complaining as it's no ones fault but their own that they have slow/crappy internet

Wally
June 28th, 2007, 06:52
Uhmm its not our fault either...

Telstra has promised me ADSL for say 7 years.. Up until now, nothing..

They said, ok we will have it done before the end of financial year. Now they put it on hold... Now we wait again and again...

Really pisses me off..

If someone suggests moving house then they can GTFO.

Wally

Kaiser
June 28th, 2007, 09:03
I don't know really why it was. Must have been another staff member.

Just be sure to PM me next time something similar happens EvilSeph and I'll try to deal with it ASAP. I'll also pass this thread along to the other staff so they are aware of your complaint.

EvilSeph
June 28th, 2007, 09:16
Thanks Kaiser, I'm glad DCEmu actually cares unlike <insert site name here>.

I will pm you as requested if it happens again. :)

quzar
June 28th, 2007, 12:19
To the content complaints: we have no news article authors, that is not the point of the site, it's simply a news reposting site. Staying on top of the news of others and collecting it in one location.

Even "DCEmu Exclusives" are simply the news as is from the source with two or three lines of mindless dribble. But, as is with the rest of life, if you want to fix it, any member of the forums has the power to do so. When there is new news, you can just as easily as anyone else write an article yourself, and if it was not yet reported, it will most likely be moved to news.

The current priority of course favors speed vs content though, if you can get both, kudos to you.

Cap'n 1time
June 28th, 2007, 16:12
Precisely what Q said. We take no credit for the news we copy and paste either. If you want more details we recommend you view the site linked to in the news post.

While it would be awesome if we were able to write our own detailed posts on every individual news item, no one has time for that. You, however, can post detailed information in the forums. It is the members of DCemu that make the site so informative. We merely post the news. It is your duty to discuss it in detail.

We do actually have some talented people we chose specifically for their ability to write decent articles. Mark, YKB, and JKKdark cant be responsible for all the news, but most of their articles are most enjoyable.

quzar
June 28th, 2007, 18:53
Also, after investigation of the specific article in question, it was submitted to news AFTER there was already a news release about it. It would be confusing for all if the article changed after being posted, and there is no way the old news post will be dumped for the new, so what I see is someone feeling bad that the article they had stake in wasn't posted fast enough.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 19:07
Also, after investigation of the specific article in question, it was submitted to news AFTER there was already a news release about it. It would be confusing for all if the article changed after being posted, and there is no way the old news post will be dumped for the new, so what I see is someone feeling bad that the article they had stake in wasn't posted fast enough.

I think I said that?

It could've possibly been added as a post to the current post, but new people don't see that (they just want to create threads)

Especially if it was posted first by a respected DCEmu newsposter

I posted what I thought was news the otherday and Wraggster moved it to the PSP Hacking section, I didn't complain

From what I see, someone just wanted to complain about something that in all reality was nothing!

quzar
June 28th, 2007, 19:13
I think I said that?

Yes, but I'm staff, and checked on the post times of the deleted post, the non deleted one, and who deleted the post. foo.

Shadowblind
June 28th, 2007, 19:17
Well thats confusing to say the least. Still I'm looking more toward the obvious, er, social problems then the technical ones here at DCEmu. JUNK did help quite a bit, though.

At the one who causes the problems(I do believe we know who it is): You've gained a bad rep here. Don't leave, simply make a new account and for cryin out loud, dont post half the crap you do...

All I seem to notice for technical problems is how DCEmu sometimes loads half-way of the page then quits. Then it takes around 5 minutes to restart and load the entire page.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 20:05
All I seem to notice for technical problems is how DCEmu sometimes loads half-way of the page then quits. Then it takes around 5 minutes to restart and load the entire page.

Wow, what type of connection are you on? It doesn't take that long for me, only a few seconds! :)

parkermauney
June 28th, 2007, 20:31
Sometimes when it loads it will "finish" after loading half the page stopping with an unfinished html tag.

VampDude
June 28th, 2007, 22:10
Sometimes when it loads it will "finish" after loading half the page stopping with an unfinished html tag.

That just requires a quick page refresh

parkermauney
June 28th, 2007, 22:53
Yeah, but it does that VERY often on the psp.

SnesR0X
June 29th, 2007, 00:02
Yeah, but it does that VERY often on the psp.

Well, computers generally work a lot better :p

I still hope that the reloading pages problem can be somewhat sorted out at least. Not expecting a miracle

Wally
June 29th, 2007, 00:26
Oh sorry,

^Kaiser^: Thanks for clearing those issues up with me :) You are a legend :)

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 00:31
Very bad DCEmu, thats why I never post here and this was the first forum I joined.

Pathetic

pibs
June 29th, 2007, 00:43
Very bad DCEmu, thats why I never post here and this was the first forum I joined.

Pathetic

Why is this site bad in particular? So sometimes theres problems but they even out with all the help and support provided here for new and old console owners, and upcoming homebrew users. The staff is great in responding to whatever your situation may be and addressing it with logic and respect.

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 00:52
Why is this site bad in particular? So sometimes theres problems but they even out with all the help and support provided here for new and old console owners, and upcoming homebrew users. The staff is great in responding to whatever your situation may be and addressing it with logic and respect.

ORLY? This site is not a news site, so what can you cal l it?

JKKDARK
June 29th, 2007, 01:02
ORLY? This site is not a news site, so what can you cal l it?

DCEmu is a gaming & homebrew site

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 01:09
DCEmu is a gaming & homebrew site

It sucks at newsposting, oh wait your a newsposter :rolleyes:

mikebeaver
June 29th, 2007, 01:12
I think Jordan's comments were made purely out of how people see this place.

To many people this will be their introduction to "The Scene" it is one of the most widely know places to come for homebrew and emulation (not just for PSP but ALL form of it)

I just think we have come to expect DC emu to have informative and well laid out news and other post's, so when those standards fall, people will notice, and in time if those standards dont return it will end up like all the other sites out there.

I for one would not like to see that happen, I have a fondness for this site, I have been coming here since the days of Dreamcast (different user then) and it has always been good, but I have to agree, 3 line posts are a little lame.

pibs
June 29th, 2007, 01:12
why do you even bother to post here then? this site is free, what do you have to lose from it, if you had or have a problem with the ways things are here why didn't you say something before? to a mod or by making a thread. Its more of a community rather than a news site.

EvilSeph
June 29th, 2007, 01:13
I dont know what decides value of content, its different in different peoples eyes, some people dont need a long winded explanation, others prefer different things, i could care less, as long as the info i need is there.

In general, since we're talking about news articles, the value of content is decided by the guidelines of journalism.

I must say I tend to agree with a lot of EvilSeph's points. As an Admin on a Gaming site, copy and pasting 3-line articles pisses me off. Sometimes that is all there is on offer, but if there is a choice between a 3-line post and a well-written article, I'd rather use that as a source every single time.

Personally, I'd pick the full-blown, well-written article any day as the quality of content determines if a visitor holds your site as being a reputable source of news or not.

Clearly you have no idea about proper webmastership. You only have - I believe it was - 8 seconds to grab and keep a users' interest before they get fed up and leave (this has been proven). The only reason Wally and others who experience the problems return is because they're already members of this community and enjoy being a part of it. However, technical issues like the ones mentioned cost sites visitors. A lot of visitors.

Neither do you, a post got deleted/moved it's not really the end of the world is it?

I for one actually care about the quality and reputation of this website. Speaking from a public relations point of view, when someone goes to a news website (or one reputed as such) and they see a pathetic 3-line news article they'll start to question the reliability of your site as a reputable news source.

That's rubbish. I see posts edited and made better every day. To tell me that it will never happen is an outright lie. Wraggster did it to the article in question because he actually knows how to run a site.

It's not confusing - it's done to most of the low quality news articles.

Ahem. The news article in quesiton was dumped and replaced by an article written by wraggster.

See the original post which has been quoted here (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461837&postcount=31) and compare it to what wraggster edited in. (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461766&postcount=1)

After, before, first - it doesn't matter. Leaving a 3-liner on the front page is damaging to DCEmu.

Also, the article in question did NOT contain KEY information. Would that not warrant an article edit? See here (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461816&postcount=24) for an example.

So, what I see is members of the news staff defending each other (and their work)...with inaccurate arguments.

It could've possibly been added as a post to the current post, but new people don't see that (they just want to create threads)

New people to the FORUMS don't see it. There are a hundred+ people that only go to the PSP news front page.

Especially if it was posted first by a respected DCEmu newsposter

Who cares who posted it first? It was terrible quality and had to be corrected immediately after.

I posted what I thought was news the otherday and Wraggster moved it to the PSP Hacking section, I didn't complain

Rebuttal in-line.

That just requires a quick page refresh

See above point about your not having the qualities of a successful webmaster. I also strongly suggest you open up your eyes because all your points are zoned into one train of thought. For example, not all people stuck with dial-up have a choice. It's not their fault. You should really think before posting..because you insult a lot of people (possibly indirectly).

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 01:16
EvilSeph just owned every member of DCemu ;)

SnesR0X
June 29th, 2007, 01:32
EvilSeph just owned every member of DCemu ;)

More like he gave his opinion about running a site...

mikebeaver
June 29th, 2007, 01:49
And it seemed like a well rounded and informed opinion, kind of like the article that was removed, unlike the article that made front page :)

quzar
June 29th, 2007, 02:15
That's rubbish. I see posts edited and made better every day. To tell me that it will never happen is an outright lie. Wraggster did it to the article in question because he actually knows how to run a site.

It most certainly does not happen "all the time" as you say. Usually the only times when it happens is: A) if the original post was inaccurate, B) if there was a continuing development that did not warrant a completely new post, or C) If wraggster wants it.

It's not confusing - it's done to most of the low quality news articles.

Ahem. The news article in quesiton was dumped and replaced by an article written by wraggster.

See the original post which has been quoted here (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461837&postcount=31) and compare it to what wraggster edited in. (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461766&postcount=1)

As stated above, the biggest rule on the site, that goes largely unwritten is "if wraggster wants". If he so wishes, he will add, remove, or edit anything to any news post period. He has the final say in what goes into news posts. I have written up a post, submitted it, and had him remove it the next day replacing it with his own that was identical just to change the site it linked to.

None of those things though are site policy, and there is a big difference. You will most usually not see any frontpage news altered after it is posted (with the small exception of maybe broken posts or poor spelling or whatnot). ESPECIALLY if it was posted by wraggster himself (no staff is allowed to modify his news posts).

After, before, first - it doesn't matter. Leaving a 3-liner on the front page is damaging to DCEmu.
And yet, your'e still here. The site has had it's priorities fixed for a LONG time, and they are first and foremost to report news quickly and to gather news posted elsewhere (as many other news reposting sites do). If you wanted the better post up, you should have goten it submitted before the 3 liner, plain and simple. If you don't like the way that works then too bad. I suggest for the future that if you want nice long things posted, to get whatever news it is written up fast and before anything else is submitted lest the effort be wasted.

Also, the article in question did NOT contain KEY information. Would that not warrant an article edit? See here (http://dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=461816&postcount=24) for an example.

I don't see how that is vital information at all. All of that has been boilerplate for any downgrader either since the start of at least for the past few months. If there were ACTUAL key information left out like: "Don't use this on european psps or they will explode" that would of course be edited in. "Downgraders have the chance of bricking your machine" is not key information by any means.

So, what I see is members of the news staff defending each other (and their work)...with inaccurate arguments.

I will have you know I take personal and professional (although amateur as I'm not paid in any way of course) offense to that. I have never been a member of the news staff, nothing I have said has been incorrect, I have never posted any news that would come into question in this debate at all, and I have not defended any individual.

What you seem to be doing is condemning all of the current newsposters (other than wraggster of course, who you seem to think makes great (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67127) news (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67144) posts (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66829)) for not adhering to what YOU think the policies of the news forums should be. What you should instead look to do, is try to change the policy, which is wraggster's, and has been that of the site since the beginning (I was here) of speed of news reposting vs writing our own proper articles.

FreePlay
June 29th, 2007, 02:22
If you wanted the better post up, you should have goten it submitted before the 3 liner, plain and simple. If you don't like the way that works then too bad. I suggest for the future that if you want nice long things posted, to get whatever news it is written up fast and before anything else is submitted lest the effort be wasted.

That is, by far, the most f*cking retarded thing I've ever seen someone say in regards to posting news.

You don't take the sh*tty three-line post over a thought-out, more professional article just because it was first. This just proves that you value quantity over quality, and that's what keeps you a tier or two below the best gaming news sites around.

You value quickly-written garbage over real writing, and that's f*cking retarded.

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 02:23
It most certainly does not happen "all the time" as you say. Usually the only times when it happens is: A) if the original post was inaccurate, B) if there was a continuing development that did not warrant a completely new post, or C) If wraggster wants it.

As stated above, the biggest rule on the site, that goes largely unwritten is "if wraggster wants". If he so wishes, he will add, remove, or edit anything to any news post period. He has the final say in what goes into news posts. I have written up a post, submitted it, and had him remove it the next day replacing it with his own that was identical just to change the site it linked to.

None of those things though are site policy, and there is a big difference. You will most usually not see any frontpage news altered after it is posted (with the small exception of maybe broken posts or poor spelling or whatnot). ESPECIALLY if it was posted by wraggster himself (no staff is allowed to modify his news posts).

And yet, your'e still here. The site has had it's priorities fixed for a LONG time, and they are first and foremost to report news quickly and to gather news posted elsewhere (as many other news reposting sites do). If you wanted the better post up, you should have goten it submitted before the 3 liner, plain and simple. If you don't like the way that works then too bad. I suggest for the future that if you want nice long things posted, to get whatever news it is written up fast and before anything else is submitted lest the effort be wasted.

I don't see how that is vital information at all. All of that has been boilerplate for any downgrader either since the start of at least for the past few months. If there were ACTUAL key information left out like: "Don't use this on european psps or they will explode" that would of course be edited in. "Downgraders have the chance of bricking your machine" is not key information by any means.

I will have you know I take personal and professional (although amateur as I'm not paid in any way of course) offense to that. I have never been a member of the news staff, nothing I have said has been incorrect, I have never posted any news that would come into question in this debate at all, and I have not defended any individual.

What you seem to be doing is condemning all of the current newsposters (other than wraggster of course, who you seem to think makes great (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67127) news (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=67144) posts (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66829)) for not adhering to what YOU think the policies of the news forums should be. What you should instead look to do, is try to change the policy, which is wraggster's, and has been that of the site since the beginning (I was here) of speed of news reposting vs writing our own proper articles.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 02:25
That is, by far, the most f*cking retarded thing I've ever seen someone say in regards to posting news.

You don't take the sh*tty three-line post over a thought-out, more professional article just because it was first. This just proves that you value quantity over quality, and that's what keeps you a tier or two below the best gaming news sites around.

You value quickly-written garbage over real writing, and that's f*cking retarded.

I was going to say something like that, Mine would of been a 3 liner which is fine here

FreePlay
June 29th, 2007, 02:27
Mine was three paragraphs. Frontpage it!

mikebeaver
June 29th, 2007, 02:33
good god Jordan, that was pretty funny for you :P

quzar
June 29th, 2007, 02:39

You seem to say that as if the second post had all sorts of magical stuff that is NEWS in it. What the later post added was: the warnings that are affixed to every downgrader related thing, instructions on how to use the new downgrader, links for places to buy the game, and a donation link. ALL of these things are relegated specifically for guides or tutorials on how to use the exploit, NOT in a front page news piece on it's release.

Whenever a new version of an emulator, homebrew game, app, etc comes out, the news post most certainly doesn't describe how to install it, the controls in game, where you can buy games for it, or any other sort of info like that. What is given is the new news on the product.

In short: what was posted was not missing any information, was posted first, and was already replied to while the second was ridiculously long, had a lot of superfluous information, and was posted later.

I don't see where the problem is other than you regular users can't see the removed post. For reference, here it is in all it's lengthy mostly pointless glory:

via: noobz (www.noobz.eu)

We said it would be done - although some people even said we couldn't - and lo... let there be a downgrader! Noobz are proud to present a downgrader for any PSP - even the one in the picture on the left ;).

This downgrader is for v3.50 firmware, and includes a port of the Homebrew ENabler (HEN) for firmware 3.50. It will automatically detect all known PSP motherboard types, and do the appropriate steps to ensure a safe downgrade.

Before we get started, let's have the obligatory warnings:

Any downgrader carries some risk of permanently damaging your PSP. We've done everything we can to remove as much danger as possible, but if you choose to use this downgrader, you are accepting all of the risk involved. Nobody else will be held responsible for any damage to your PSP, howsoever caused.

Recent Sony official firmwares (3.30 onwards) have included checks that block upgrade from previously-downgraded PSPs with TA-082 or later motherboards. If you use this downgrader on such a PSP, you will lock yourself out of official firmware updates - although you will still be able to use new OE firmwares when they are released. We intend to release a tool to allow a return to official firmwares in the future.

This software is provided free of charge, so that you can use legitimate homebrew on your PSP. You are explicitly prohibited from selling it, or using it to pirate commercial games or applications. If you want to play a commercial game, do the decent thing and support the developers by buying it. If you don't, then YOU are contributing to the death of the PSP software industry.

To use this downgrader, you will need the following:

A PSP, upgraded to the official Sony v3.50 firmware. You should also set your language settings to "English".
A legal Lumines UMD, either the EU (ULES00043) or US (ULUS10002) version. The original, Platinum, or Greatest Hits versions are all fine. Support for the Japanese version will come soon.
Sufficient intelligence and english language skills to be able to carefully and throroughly read the instructions.
It would also help if you've previously run the Illuminati Hello World, so that you're familiar with how to run the Illuminati exploit.

For instructions on how to run the downgrader, see the Downgrader_HOWTO.txt file in the ZIP.

Future plans? Firstly, we intend to provide a solution for people who are stuck on firmware 3.10 or 3.11, unable to upgrade to 3.50 due to the new Sony checks. The exact format of that solution is still to be decided. We also intend to develop an eLoader for v3.50 HEN, so that those who do not want to downgrade will still be able to run some homebrew.

As well as the work from the Noobz team, credit is due to the following people:

Everyone who has contributed to the ps2dev.org toolchain, without which none of the Noobz software would ever have been possible
Archaemic for his original input into the Illuminati exploit, and JoeK for work on the kernel exploit
Dark_AleX and Mathieulh, for their work on custom firmwares, HEN and the downgrader core
The various websites who continue to develop and support the homebrew community. You know who you are, and we're not going to stir up site politics by mentioning any specific sites. ;)

If you don't yet have a copy of Lumines, you can buy it from Amazon using one of the links below. Doing so will help us out, by automatically donating a small percentage of the purchase price to us, at no cost to yourself.

Amazon UK - Lumines Platinum (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000G8NWII?tag=fanjitasplace-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000G8NWII&adid=07AGNX2CYMTVRMCPGCPB&)
Amazon - Lumines (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007VDF22?tag=fanjitasplace-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0007VDF22&adid=0AFY3YF562BYJCKD2561&)

While you're at it, why not buy another PSP game, and help support the commercial game development industry?

We donate all of our software free of charge to the community, and don't develop for the sake of monetary gain. But if you find this downgrader useful, please donate a small amount of money to help us to afford to continue developing for the PSP. All money goes towards development costs, not individual's pockets.

http://noobz.eu:88/images/x-click-but04.gif(Donation link coming soon - noobz currently down :p in the mean time, you can donate to noobz by donating to [email protected])

And remember - only losers pirate!

Wow, great news! All PSP's can be downgraded!

DOWNLOAD AND GIVE FEEDBACK VIA COMMENTS

Do you really think it would be fitting to have that spamming up the front page, not to mention the fact that it doesn't add any relevant NEWS to the topic, it simply includes a full Operators Guide along with the actual news.

PS: For reference, both the original and this post were directly copy+pasted (content-wise) from noobz, the news post that you see on our site was taken from their news page, as makes sense. This was a more in depth article that they had on it that was accessible away from their front page (for obvious reasons). Also to note, both of them link directly to where all the extraneous info can be found.

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 02:45
That article was pure gold,unlike your shitty 3 liner

mikebeaver
June 29th, 2007, 02:46
well, if its more than 3 lines you cant miss it, if its only 3 lines you might waste your time typing something else up, only for it to be ignored.

Cloudhunter
June 29th, 2007, 02:48
Sigh.

I admit that my post was copy and pasted, but even while copy and pasted it was STILL higher quality than the 3-liner. DCEmu seems to copy and paste alot.

However, even if that was so, I wouldn't have even minded it evolve's post was replaced with my post.

As I've mentioned before, credit doesn't even matter to me, even if I've spent a while on it.

I just prefer the Scene getting the most it can.

Cloudy

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 02:50
meh :P

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 02:54
Sigh.

I admit that my post was copy and pasted, but even while copy and pasted it was STILL higher quality than the 3-liner. DCEmu seems to copy and paste alot.

However, even if that was so, I wouldn't have even minded it evolve's post was replaced with my post.

As I've mentioned before, credit doesn't even matter to me, even if I've spent a while on it.

I just prefer the Scene getting the most it can.

Cloudy

They want 3 liners because if they let the big articles
be on the front page, it would take up all there shitty webspace

FrozenIpaq
June 29th, 2007, 03:00
DCemu's content is not original, it's copy + paste, and everyone should know that. However, when someone fails at providing content (like the post in question), it baffles me as following DCemu's tradition would probably have taken less time to produce a post then the three-liner of which the news poster made up (he had to think about that, but you don't have to think when copying and pasting).

The most important thing when making a news post is content, make sure the reader is fully aware of what is being talked about and not just some downgrader for 3.50...where are the details in that? Is it safe? How the h3ll do I downgrade? Why do I need Lumines?....

And well, for the record, I would like to say it is entirely possible to have a grade-A article and still be the first one to "cover" the news as I myself have done this on several occasions.

mikebeaver
June 29th, 2007, 03:04
I think that the post from frozenipaq sums it all up really, quite well.

informative, useful, and posted quickly.
Simple :P

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 03:04
DCemu's content is not original, it's copy + paste, and everyone should know that. However, when someone fails at providing content (like the post in question), it baffles me as following DCemu's tradition would probably have taken less time to produce a post then the three-liner of which the news poster made up (he had to think about that, but you don't have to think when copying and pasting).

The most important thing when making a news post is content, make sure the reader is fully aware of what is being talked about and not just some downgrader for 3.50...where are the details in that? Is it safe? How the h3ll do I downgrade? Why do I need Lumines?....

And well, for the record, I would like to say it is entirely possible to have a grade-A article and still be the first one to "cover" the news as I myself have done this on several occasions.

For that, I like you

JKKDARK
June 29th, 2007, 03:05
jordanblack68, what are you doing here? If you don't like DCEmu and how it works, you should leave this site.
And can you explain (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=342830&postcount=3) these (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=139154&postcount=7) posts (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115028&postcount=18)? Didn't you like long and quality posts? It seems you're only a spammer.

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 03:09
jordanblack68, what are you doing here? If you don't like DCEmu and how it works, you should leave this site.
And can you explain (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=342830&postcount=3) these (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=139154&postcount=7) posts (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115028&postcount=18)? Didn't you like long and quality posts? It seems you're only a spammer.

Hey Mr 3 liner

O btw, I am not a spamming, thank you very much, you should get fired and ill take over. I would show you better longer posts then little 3 liners

JKKDARK
June 29th, 2007, 03:16
Hey Mr 3 liner

O btw, I am not a spamming, thank you very much, you should get fired and ill take over. I would show you better longer posts then little 3 liners

No, the problem is you cannot read, because you didn't answer my questions.
Also why I don't see your threads with original content on the Submit News Forum?
I know I only post 'copy & paste' information, but at least it's enough if you want to read and know about the news posted. Plus it's not against the rules.

EvilSeph
June 29th, 2007, 03:19
No, the problem is you cannot read, because you didn't answer my questions.
Also why I don't see your threads with original content on the Submit News Forum?
I know I only post 'copy & paste' information, but at least it's enough if you want to read and know about the news posted. Plus it's not against the rules.

I'm going to have to throw that comment back at you. You cannot read either. This topic is not about "copy[ing] & past[ing]" information. This is about the value of content.

No one cares if it is copied and pasted, so long as it is informative and well-written.

jordanblack68
June 29th, 2007, 03:20
I'm going to have to throw that comment back at you. You cannot read either. This topic is not about "copy[ing] & past[ing]" information. This is about the value of content.

No one cares if it is copied and pasted, so long as it is informative and well-written.

I agree, thanks

FreePlay
June 29th, 2007, 04:16
You seem to say that as if the second post had all sorts of magical stuff that is NEWS in it. What the later post added was: the warnings that are affixed to every downgrader related thing, instructions on how to use the new downgrader, links for places to buy the game, and a donation link. ALL of these things are relegated specifically for guides or tutorials on how to use the exploit, NOT in a front page news piece on it's release.

blahblahblahThat's great. But my post wasn't in response to the news. It was in response to your words - mainly, that you said you'd rather have a fast 3-line post than a slower post that's actual news.

Cap'n 1time
June 29th, 2007, 04:29
We cant be responsible for all the news... In fact we arnt responsible for a lot of the news that appears on the front page. A good percentage of the news is moved from the submit news section. That is part of the magic of dcemu though.. We DEPEND on our users to submit news and write articles and we strongly encourage it. Rather than bitching and moaning about something that happens every 1000 years (oh god, they didnt post a link, and id rather bitch and moan about it in offtopic rather than notifying someone), or complaining about the 3 liners (please, point to me an article that actually contains fewer than 5 lines, and also please tell me why you are too lazy to go to the site with the original article and content) Start posting better articles or giving your input in the thread.

We have some Exclusives, but most of our news is links to other news pages AND WE URGE YOU TO VIEW THEIR LINKS BECAUSE THEY DISCUSS THINGS FURTHER. Any user who feel 100% nessicary bits and peices of an article have been left out can pm a news poster or a moderator.

Now quit your completely useless blather and flame fest. That one lifeless mother ****er who joined only with the intent of spamming and bitching has been banned.

Locked.