PDA

View Full Version : Sony details PS3 1.82 firmware

Shrygue
June 27th, 2007, 19:51
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=78505)

Sony plans to introduce support for AVC High Profile (H.264/MPEG-4) file playback in a new firmware update due out soon.

The firmware, version 1.82, will be released "in the next few days", PlayStation Network Operations Director Eric Lempel said in a post on Sony Computer Entertainment America's blog.

Recent PS3 firmware updates have introduced the ability to upscale DVDs, PS1 and PS2 games to 1080p resolutions, to downscale Blu-ray video to 720p and to view files stored on a home network.

However, there has been a mixed reaction to firmware updates from those who intend to play older games on their PS3s, with the level of support for several key titles including Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater from Konami seemingly in fluctuation.

In his blog post of Monday 26th June, Lempel perhaps anticipated this concern when he added: "We're continuing to evaluate and improve things across the board, including PS2 software compatibility."

VFerg
June 27th, 2007, 22:51
Great! Ive got pleanty of movies this will be great for.

Only 1 real problem I have with these updates is that it takes a huge amount of time to download! Is it just me? I have had the system for about 4 firmwares now and the first 2 didnt seem that bad but then when 1.80 came out it was like 30 minutes to download it! I was hoping that since there was a lot to update in that firmware version that it could have been big. Then 1.81 came and it took just as long if not longer and offered hardly anything! Is it just me or do all these updates move at a crawl? They dont even show you how much your downloading or at what speed so I never know and just to let you know my speed is definetly fast enough and in the sony store I can get a gig file in about 20 minutes so I highly doubt speed is an issue. I dont mind the updates but if they take 30 somewhat minutes to download and install then they need a new plan to get these updates out there. The last time I just wanted to play a game online for about an hour but I needed an update and that pretty much ruined what little free time I had.

Triv1um
June 27th, 2007, 23:38
the servers were prob jammed when you were downloading so you prob had very little bandwith allecated to you.

mine aint that bad, 10 mins to get it up and ready.

this new update sucks.

F9zDark
June 28th, 2007, 05:04
Also, to keep in mind when downloading upgrades is the fact that the updates contain all the information from the PRIOR updates.

That means that when you download 1.82, you are also downloading the data that was included since 1.0-1.82. So while the 1.82 update may only add say, 3-4 megabytes worth of updated material, it contains the XX megabytes from all the previous upgrades.

DPyro
June 28th, 2007, 12:45
1.82 released.

SmashinGit
June 28th, 2007, 13:24
These updates are coming out quite quickly at the moment.

freitax
June 28th, 2007, 14:24
this firmware SUCKS! not even the avc high profile works, I tried two m2ts with avc profile5 and one with a avc advance profile, NOTHING! teken tag is still not working, what a lousy update...