PDA

View Full Version : Cave Story DS

wraggster
June 27th, 2007, 20:38
News/release from Ravenworks: (http://community.livejournal.com/doukutsu/92406.html)

Enjoy! Very sorry it took so long to get this far, but actually between this demo and the last one I completely rewrote the entire graphics engine from scratch; the whole damn thing runs on the 3D hardware now. (Except the far backgrounds, anyway.) But it should look the same; this way just lets me use way more of Pixel's original DirectX code without needing to adapt anything for the DS's 2D core.

Anyway, major things we're still missing: HP, guns, SFX, and scripts! I was tempted to add guns, but rather than open that can of worms I just released it as-is, they'll be in the next one ;P Event scripts are a biggie, of course. Everything else is pretty minor and just needs to be implemented...

Anyway, enjoy! Lemme know if there are problems.. (If anyone can put their finger on why my .NDS icons work on some hardware but not others, please do..)

Oh, and if this demo seems to run slower than previous ones -- you're right, because the old ones were running too fast gigahedgehog caught that... turns out Cave Story runs (graphics AND logic!) 50 times per second, not 60. Feel a little embarrassed that I didn't catch that myself, but hey, that's what you guys are here for ;D

So yes! Enjoy

http://cavestory.ravenworks.ca/screens/cs_eggs_1.gif

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Shyvnal
June 27th, 2007, 21:56
This is shockingly good.
I couldnt patch it for DLDI but it worked anyway.. thats on my R4.
The speed is great just need more options. Also the bottom screen will become almost useless when its finished unless its used as a map or an interface for the items. This is defiently a homebrew im going to keep track on.

sabernet
June 27th, 2007, 22:30
Awesome!!!

zauberer
June 27th, 2007, 23:45
I can't wait for the other release!

Wow!

He is amazing!

XDelusion
June 28th, 2007, 01:59
Shyvnal: You should not need DLDI patching anymore I think. As the M3 Simply and I think the R4 just got a firmware update that no longer requires us to manually patch the executables.

Anyhow, this game looks quite well, I'm eager to test it out once guns, HP, scripts and the like are added in!

Tets
June 28th, 2007, 16:12
Wow. I was just thinking last week about how cool it would be if Cave Story had a homebrew port to any handheld. Then this comes out of nowhere! I really must be out of the loop. There's one more homebrew project for me to start getting excited about.

Meloku
June 28th, 2007, 16:28
I was comparing last night the screen size of the PC version with my DS top screen, wandering how may look Cave Story on a DS... THIS JUST LOOKS AND SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL!!! JUST LIKE THE PC VERSION!!!

Keep up the good work, and maybe for the next demo release you could include maybe Booster 2.0 or the Machinegun, in order to fully exploring the demo levels ;)

w00tman X
August 3rd, 2007, 20:46
Ah, that man is brilliant. I have been looking forward to handheld Cave Story for 3 years.

Hurry up man, and give us some guns!

mikyman
October 6th, 2007, 02:17
I can't wait! Good luck, man.

acevampire
October 6th, 2007, 13:18
It doesn't work on my MMD. Even after DLDI patching. Ah, I may try running it through DSO.

linksdeity
June 25th, 2008, 23:16
Nnnneeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd Uuppddaaaatttttteeeee

fdtoonsman
June 29th, 2008, 01:18
Wow, i love Cavestory. I support this project, and I hope it's finished soon! Good luck!

felipefelipe
August 29th, 2008, 07:38
There's any update or news about this homebrew?