PDA

View Full Version : Editing eboot.pbp

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 03:27
Listen I am a noob at programing and everything, but i am making a mod for a super mini mario and need to edit the words at the bottom "Remaining Coins" (I think) to say something else. I think i'm supposed to edit data.psp which is apparently the executable file. I tried to edit it with notepad (noob) and got a bunch of random symbols. What can i use to edit this. Thanks

pibs
June 28th, 2007, 03:50
try a hex-editor maybe? ive extracted eboots and compiled them again but never messed with the data.psp and such files.

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 05:00
would that allow me to do what i want to do?

splodger15
June 28th, 2007, 06:47
Nope as it is compiled so you cannot see the code

dangee
June 28th, 2007, 16:34
if you edit data.psp, you may need also to edit
the data.psar offset in the eboot header (if data.psp size changes).
~ note "REMAINING COINS" may be IMG, not string ~

SSaxdude
June 28th, 2007, 16:42
Use a .pbp unpacker I think, or hex editor.

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 19:11
Hex editor doesn't do anything cause its' only 3 or 4 lines (definately not the whole game) I checked and the "Remaining coins" isn't an image.

Edit: The other thing doesn't realy matter right now but i am having a much bigger problem. Whenever I put in my custom sfx, i get a weird fuzzy sound. How do i fix this? Please help!!!1

dangee
June 28th, 2007, 20:03
most programming languages have string search & replace.
(eg string.gsub() in lua)
so, maybe you could load the data.psp into a string in RAM & gsub() "remaining coins"..

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 20:24
srry once again i'm a noob! How do you do what you just said (load data.psp into a "string of RAM?"??? srry

parkermauney
June 28th, 2007, 20:36
Wasn't the source for smm released?

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 20:48
i do not think so parker. In regards to the music (i could care less about the remaining coins thing.) I realllllllllllllllllllly need help with the sfx issue.

dangee
June 28th, 2007, 20:52
if you want to mod programs , some coding skill would be v. useful.
many noob programmers start with visual basic.
NEway, in lua:

dataPsp=io.open("data.psp","rb")
exeStr=dataPsp:read("*a") dataPsp:close()
modStr=string.gsub(exeStr,"remaining coins","StillNotGot")
dataMod=io.open("data.mod","w+")
dataMod:write(modStr) dataMod:close()

*SFX - i think its to do with bitrates . Use freeware Audacity to customize samples *

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 21:13
thanks dangee but for me there is no hope. please someone help me with the sfx issue. i do not care if it says remaining coins anymore but thnx for the help. The sfx is one of the biggest parts of the game and i need to mod it and it still sounds fuzzy. In the sfx folder i have 6 files: break, bump, coin, die, jump, and pause. I ahve my own .wav files i am replacing the last four. I have just tried to replace only the jump file (23kb) with one that is 20kb. It still made a static-like sound. I tried the ones from the sonic mod even though they exceeded the kb limit on the original ones and it worked. What do the sonic sounds have that mine don't???? Help would reallllllllly be apreciated!!!!!!!

dangee
June 28th, 2007, 21:23
does stereo/mono .wav make a diff.?

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 21:38
Not sure. I know that the sonic ones weren't mono.

parkermauney
June 28th, 2007, 21:50
Just use audacity and mix them to mono, that always seems to help.

dangee
June 28th, 2007, 21:56
may also be the samples level. try re-record at hi/lo volume?
(...offline now for today)

Safari Al
June 28th, 2007, 22:17
is audacity a program? I found the .wav files online so i did not record them. If that is what i should do then tell me. By the way i am using vista if that might cause problems. I also have win 200 comp. going to try it on that.

EDIT: I just used the audio converter i usually use on a sonic noise and put it back in the sfx and it also did the static noise. Now i at least know i am doing something wrong and its not the file. Any ideas?