PDA

View Full Version : SONY counterstrikes with 3.51 firmware update

Veskgar
June 29th, 2007, 08:52
Well, I just used my PSP to download the latest Network Update and it was 3.51. So it looks like SONY may have patched the Lumines exploit. There is no confirmation yet but I think we all know what that means. Lets hope people have finally gotten wiser and don't all flock to upgrade to 3.51 just because it is something new.

I'm sure we will all await to hear from Team C+D on decryption.

So does 3.51 once and for all spell the end for downgraders? Please post your thoughts.

Classic80s
June 29th, 2007, 09:34
"I'm sure we will all await to hear from Team C+D on decryption."

What's the point? No one gives a shit about 3.51. Let alone a possible 3.51 OE

End for downgraders? Hell no.

End of discussion.

bah
June 29th, 2007, 09:35
It will be a long time till new PSPs will have this firmware installed, so anyone who knows about homebrew prior to buying their system will have no problems downgrading.

It will be a a while before there are even any games that require it.

It probably spells and end to this particular downgrader (for now at least, look what happened with the resurrection of the GTA exploit), but surely not an end for downgraders in general.

There are a lot of smart people like fanjita out there working on finding and making use of exploitable bugs in the firmware/games.

jak66
June 29th, 2007, 09:56
1)sony never changed the encription/decription keys for minor updates like this before (minor as in X.X0 to X.X1), why would they start now.
2)game that would require 3.51 would work on 3.50 OE, as the only difference would be the lumines patch (well, maybe slightly better pops compatability, but thats dobtful)

gannon730
June 29th, 2007, 10:29
1)sony never changed the encription/decription keys for minor updates like this before (minor as in X.X0 to X.X1), why would they start now.

Actually they have like 1.50 - 1.51 and again to 1.52

jak66
June 29th, 2007, 13:37
Actually they have like 1.50 - 1.51 and again to 1.52

they changed the keys for those minor updates? well that shuts me up

p.s. wiki says this update blocks lumines exploit and adds a ps store icon that says 'coming soon...' (i think thats what was said)

bah
June 29th, 2007, 13:47
Hahaha, thats their new feature to entice people to update: A 'coming soon' icon for some future update.

Way to go Sony.

Airdevil
June 29th, 2007, 15:33
Just because they patch 2 games doesnt mean the end of downgraders.

Just think of all the other games out there which are covered in exploits which will allow a downgrader to be possible.

Why give up if two exploits are fixed? "Plenty more fish in the sea", as it were.

Nasty Nate
June 29th, 2007, 16:01
sony lost, they should give up, end of story

gannon730
June 29th, 2007, 16:32
they done it this time i reakon they cn do it again i just think sony need to give up

mnuhaily22
June 29th, 2007, 16:44
The war is over anyway, I mean, this is one of the first times an update is still the latest, when a downgrader is released, so people downgrade instead of upgrading. Sony...you lost...
Reasons:
1. OE firmware owns the original.
2. Sony cannot protect there damn firmware...lol
3. PS1 games are a disappointment.

burrito
June 29th, 2007, 16:54
This can be decrypted. The only change in this firmware is the Lumines exploit is patched. So there would be no reason for 3.51 OE if 3.50 OE is made.

Dorian
June 29th, 2007, 17:11
They said 3.10 would be the end of downgraders,but the Illuminati exploit proved that wrong,3.51 shouldnt be a problem at all.

DeleterX
June 29th, 2007, 17:18
Maybe in a Wek or 2 Noobz and DAX him will decrypt that firmware Dax is a GOD who can beat a god? XD......

Skai725
June 29th, 2007, 17:37
I think this won't be the end, I mean I updated too many times because I thought it wasn't possible to downgrade anymore and yet they released the downgrade when I upgraded, so I just left mine at 3.11 and what do you know one came out and the main reason for the PS store is for purchase of PS one games... which is kind of worthless since we can rip our own.

burrito
June 29th, 2007, 17:57
Maybe in a Wek or 2 Noobz and DAX him will decrypt that firmware Dax is a GOD who can beat a god? XD......
3.51 has already been decrypted. The 3.50 decrypter works on it.

Shrygue
June 29th, 2007, 18:18
Sony releases PSP firmware 3.51 in almost no time after the 3.50 downgrader was released - just as I expected. I bet the company have some people that look out for any news on firmware exploits and then act lightning quick to release a fix to patch it up.

Sketchy
June 29th, 2007, 19:18
The truth is tho Sony will never give up with trying to prevent downgrading - wot bothers Sony isn't so much the 'unsigned code' that we run off of THEIR console, it's the fact that OE Firmwares allow Piracy of PSP Games........

I bet the company have some people that look out for any news on firmware exploits and then act lightning quick to release a fix to patch it up.

i'd say so for sure. Perhaps a few of them are members on this very site......

psp411
June 29th, 2007, 19:52
end of downgraders? never... as long as hackers live, there will never be a version of ANYHTING that will be hackproof...(people are bond to mess us no matter what they do)....
i hope sony makes this patch as crappy as they did for the gta patch... itll probably give newer fw a second wind with this game :D :cool:

gdf
June 29th, 2007, 20:17
sony will continue to fight, but to be honest, most people that actually want homebrew will have downgraded by now...

Veskgar
June 29th, 2007, 20:25
Well, it took SONY much longer this time around to figure out how to patch the exploit than it did when the GTA exploit was announced. I think Noobz (http://www.Noobz.eu) stumped them with this one. Its amusing to paint a picture of a bunch of programmers at SONY racing around the labs for the past 5 days feverishly trying to patch the exploit. All the while its probable that fat cat execs were breathing down their neck screaming "PATCH IT!, PATCH IT NOW DAMMIT!!!" LOL

But we love you SONY. Thanks for giving us the PSP. We should stop thinking of this as a war against SONY and instead think of it as friendly competition. After all, SONY has admitted certain admirations towards the homebrew community and SONY has yet to aggressively attack or try to shut down homebrew in any way. No cease and desist E-mails being sent to Noobz, Dark_AleX, or anyone else as far as I know. So the battle continues to be a fun and exciting tug-of-war in a sort of David vs. Goliath way.

What's the point? No one gives a shit about 3.51. Let alone a possible 3.51 OE

I know that. The point of this thread and the way I worded it was just to get people talking about the future and where we go from here. I don't want, nor do I expect Dark_AleX to waste his time on a 3.51 OE.

It will be a long time till new PSPs will have this firmware installed, so anyone who knows about homebrew prior to buying their system will have no problems downgrading.

I hope so. But lately I've spotted PSP's at local Target stores with 3.40 pre-installed. That happened faster than I thought. It wasn't too long ago that I was seeing PSP's with 2.71 & 2.81 pre-installed.

p.s. wiki says this update blocks lumines exploit and adds a ps store icon that says 'coming soon...' (i think thats what was said)

So to hide what is really going on SONY puts a useless icon into the firmware? That is sad...

Just because they patch 2 games doesnt mean the end of downgraders. Just think of all the other games out there which are covered in exploits which will allow a downgrader to be possible. Why give up if two exploits are fixed? "Plenty more fish in the sea", as it were.

Those are great points. Again, I was more or less trying to incite discussion on the future strategies of keeping the homebrew scene as alive and active as it is today. The PSP is not selling like the DS Lite is and there are plenty of people who don't yet have a PSP that would like one. To keep the homebrew scene growing in numbers over the next couple of years, I'm hoping that there are more exploits known about that people are keeping secret. SONY has shown us that in just days they will patch and prevent these amazing exploits from working. So the strategy I would put into effect is to wait until SONY releases some BIG firmware updates before we break out the big guns. The more downgradable PSP's SONY pumps out of the factories the better. Or I would try my best to keep new exploits very secretive between talented groups like Noobz. Then when the time is right, announce the exploit.

However, the other side of that argument is that when you have such amazing developments like a new exploit, downgrader, etc. all individuals involved deserve credit. SO its not really fair to ask them to stay quiet on it. They deserve the attention and donations that they have rightfully earned.

Sony releases PSP firmware 3.51 in almost no time after the 3.50 downgrader was released - just as I expected. I bet the company have some people that look out for any news on firmware exploits and then act lightning quick to release a fix to patch it up.

That is true. There is actually a job title that some companies give out for the sole purpose of being a part of fan sites or community sites to keep track on the latest buzz from consumers. And in the case of the PSP, keeping an eye on the homebrew scene has probably been focused on more than anything due to the you know, "security vulnerabilities". I'm sure DCEMU has some SONY reps trolling the forums. As do other major sites like qj, MaXconsole, etc.

Buddy4point0
June 29th, 2007, 22:42
since 3.51 is only a security patch there is really not all that much point to make a cf. also im almost positive that it will be able to be downgraded, because i dont think we've seen the last of the lumines exploit. i remember when sony thought they killed the gta, and they didnt. hopefully they messed up killing the lumies one too.

cypressice
June 29th, 2007, 23:22
there is no such thing as the end of downgraders

Sorry Sony

jak66
June 29th, 2007, 23:45
since 3.51 is only a security patch there is really not all that much point to make a cf. also im almost positive that it will be able to be downgraded, because i dont think we've seen the last of the lumines exploit. i remember when sony thought they killed the gta, and they didnt. hopefully they messed up killing the lumies one too.

the reason gta was good 2 times is because sony only patched save slots 1-7, not 8&9. however, unless i'm mistaken, lumines only has 1 savedata slot, therefore, its pratically impossible to not completely patch it this time (unless jap version is significantly different)

grantlionheart
June 30th, 2007, 00:22
Daaaaaaaaam i only just found out about the exploit :P i wish i still had my 3.30psp but my house got broken into and my psp was stolen :'(
But i still have my downgraded brothers psp, so i guess now ill just go buy a psp off some dumb kid and downgrade :P

wolfpack
June 30th, 2007, 01:08
funny thing is, im still staying at 3.03 OE :p

Solidsnake3000
June 30th, 2007, 02:09
stop saying sony should stop people what happens if they really do stop that means no more new games no more new updates at least say sony isnt good at this not saying they should stop because if they do you all just might start feeling dumb

kiore
June 30th, 2007, 02:29
I think its very unlikely that its the end of downgraders
someone somewhere will beat it and spread the word quicker than you can say "firmware update 3.52"

sKilled
June 30th, 2007, 08:23
Having read Veskgar's post, a funny little thought popped into my mind.

Consider this: The PSP is quite the sophisticated little powerhouse, both hardware and software specs are very impressive. Usually highly complex software results in many 'weakpoints' that are targeted by hostile individuals (i.e. cocksmoker wannabe hackers who are just out to ruin other peoples day). For example the OS on smart-phones and that pesky little virus that bricked thousands of Nokias, or the constant barrage of vicious crap that attacks ones PC every day.

But what of the PSP? With the exception of malicious 'downgraders' that where designed to brick the PSP of the over-eager and too-naive there have been no viruses, or trojan-horses, worms or spy-ware to speak of. Could it be that the PSP is immune to such crap because of the FW arms race between Sony and the homebrewers? Could or saving grace be the constant battle to find an exploit, and Sony's then consequent efforts to close the security gaps discovered?

So once a fully functional keyboard is available that would make the PSP the ultimate little web-surfing machine - aprt from the fact that most websites look rather odd on the browser. But I can live with that more than annoying pop-ups and hack-attacks.

I love my PSP, as much as any man can love a gadget.

Aryn
June 30th, 2007, 19:01
I wish SONY would realize that their attempts at blocking homebrew/unsigned code are doing more harm than good.

Being so zealous has made them look like the bad guys in this "homebrew scene", forced people to use hacked firmware that can launch ISOs and ISO loaders just to play the games that they legally purchased, pissed off those people, thereby fueling the desire for people to pirate on the PSP, and further publicised PSP homebrew to the point where it has a large fanbase. There is also an economic factor, "security" updates and developing PSP systems that are hardwired to commit suicide if lower firmware versions are installed only temporarily slowed down the homebrew "scene" and cost a bit more money.

On the other hand, Nintendo has not been trying to force updates to their DS system down our throats (and yes, they can do so, there is a large portion of the firmware that can be overwritten without touching the hardware) and have not been all that zealous in blocking unsigned code. Instead, they focus more of their resources on creating better games instead of trying to control their game system. As a result, they look like the good guys and maintain better public relations, which leads to far less piracy. People can easily pirate games using something that costs less than a high capacity PSP memory card but mostly choose not to do so.

Anyway, if SONY blocked only the aspects of homebrew that allow piracy (UMD access, running signed code from the memory card (not including game demos and PS1 games), launching ISO files) then the only people who really suffer are those who pirate PSP games, piracy software will not be as popular since more honest gamers who want to keep their unsigned code would not need it, people can still enjoy their homebrew without having to use hacked firmware and ISO loaders that can launch pirated games, and the fanbase will appreciate SONY enough to not pirate games as much. A compromise will be far more effective for preventing piracy than attempting to put PSP owners on a leash (for lack of a better metaphor).

Cokemusic
June 30th, 2007, 19:12
Anyway, if SONY blocked only the aspects of homebrew that allow piracy (UMD access, running signed code from the memory card (not including game demos and PS1 games), launching ISO files) then the only people who really suffer are those who pirate PSP games, piracy software will not be as popular since more honest gamers who want to keep their unsigned code would not need it, people can still enjoy their homebrew without having to use hacked firmware and ISO loaders that can launch pirated games, and the fanbase will appreciate SONY enough to not pirate games as much. A compromise will be far more effective for preventing piracy than attempting to put PSP owners on a leash (for lack of a better metaphor).

It's incredibly difficult to enable homebrew whilst disabling the ability to run piracy .

Like a wise man once told me "open the door of the prison and both the least deadly and most deadly criminals will definetley escpage"

Well a wise man never really told me( :D ) that but you get my point....

mcdougall57
June 30th, 2007, 19:28
maybe its an unsuccesful patch like the gta one

shaney2k
June 30th, 2007, 22:10
maybe sony should give the guys that find these exploits a job so before each new firmware comes out the exploiters get a week or something to come up with a downgrader lol, although it wont happen thankfully, thats what sony should do rather than get making unnessasary updates