PDA

View Full Version : ps3 outselling wii and xbox 360 in Au

lmtlmt
June 29th, 2007, 10:09
Source: http://au.gamespot.com/news/6173349.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Last week, Nintendo Australia was shouting from the rooftops about the success of the Wii down under, with the console becoming the fastest to reach 100,000 units sold down under. Now Sony Computer Entertainment Australia (SCEA) has gone on the offensive, with managing director Michael Ephraim saying the PlayStation 3 has been the number one selling next-gen console in the country since its launch, outselling the Wii and the Xbox 360 almost every week.

In an interview with GameSpot AU, Ephraim quoted figures from data trackers GfK Australia, which show that the PS3 has sold more than 50,000 units since it was launched on March 23. In comparison, the Wii has sold 100,000 units since its launch on December 7, 2006. "Based on GfK since launch, PS3 has been the number one next-gen console, outselling Wii and Xbox 360 every week, except for last week," Ephraim said.

"Since March 23, PS3 has been the number one-selling next-gen console in Australia, and this is GfK figures. We've now sold 50,000--and we're very excited about the fact that it's being sold in retailers that are gaming retailers as a gaming device and other things, but as you'll notice it's now being sold in Harvey Norman consumer electronic stores as a Blu-ray player."

Australia's next-gen console sales figures seem to be in marked contrast to Japan's, with figures from May showing that the Wii outsold the PS3 by five units to one.

Uberman
June 29th, 2007, 16:03
Sony has been caught in so many marketing lies before, you can't believe a thing they say. If the PS3 were actually outselling the Wii in Australia, Sony would have been the one yelling about it already. This is a reactionary tactic, and likely completely untrue -- as usual.

iceman100
June 29th, 2007, 17:35
who cares if it true Australia compared to the whole world is nothing, and if they are desperate for new try bringing up the stats in japan lol.

mastersho
June 29th, 2007, 19:04
Well sony should be happy that people are buying the ps3 somewhere in the world......

Cokemusic
June 29th, 2007, 23:54
Once the PS3 lowers in price it will completley own the Wii in terms of profitability , Sony may not have to sell more units.

It's not all about who can sell the most consoles in the first 2 years it's about cosistency over a 3-10 year period , I don't believe that Nintendo Wii will be able to come out with new ideas to accomodate it's style of gameplay for that period of time.

In the long run Sony have it in the bag , it's not who will win but how long it'll take for Sony to become market leaders , Sony's success with the PS2 will repat iself.

The only thing that has stopped me and many others is the Price of this console however i'll probably be getting one in december after the release of GTA IV a title which will be a console seller.

lmtlmt
June 30th, 2007, 00:15
Sony has been caught in so many marketing lies before, you can't believe a thing they say. If the PS3 were actually outselling the Wii in Australia, Sony would have been the one yelling about it already. This is a reactionary tactic, and likely completely untrue -- as usual.

Its not that they have sold more consoles, its that they have sold more consoles in the same amount of time as the wii.

dejkirkby
June 30th, 2007, 00:48
To be fair though (and no disrespect to my boy, lmtlmt) Australia is hardly a massive market for Sony to crack!
Sony can hardly claim a massive victory in this!

I_Highway
June 30th, 2007, 00:54
Hey, Nintendo, close Nintendo Australia and move to Brazil!!! Here we will buy your products!!! We need cheaper games!!!

Our GNP is bigger, our population is 800% bigger, we have more japanese living here and we love you since Nes times!!!

VampDude
June 30th, 2007, 02:17
Australia isn't really that big if you think about it, and worldwide the PS3 hasn't sold as many as the Wii.

lmtlmt
June 30th, 2007, 02:59
To be fair though (and no disrespect to my boy, lmtlmt) Australia is hardly a massive market for Sony to crack!
Sony can hardly claim a massive victory in this!
No doubt about that, it is just simply saying sony arent doing that bad.

Australia isn't really that big if you think about it, and worldwide the PS3 hasn't sold as many as the Wii.

The wii has been out longer.....i think??

on another note: All over the news here is that australia's 21st millionth resident is about to be born, taking long enough eh? even tho 21 million aint that much compered to other countries.

emuking
June 30th, 2007, 14:43
Once the PS3 lowers in price it will completley own the Wii in terms of profitability , Sony may not have to sell more units.

It's not all about who can sell the most consoles in the first 2 years it's about cosistency over a 3-10 year period , I don't believe that Nintendo Wii will be able to come out with new ideas to accomodate it's style of gameplay for that period of time.

In the long run Sony have it in the bag , it's not who will win but how long it'll take for Sony to become market leaders , Sony's success with the PS2 will repat iself.

The only thing that has stopped me and many others is the Price of this console however i'll probably be getting one in december after the release of GTA IV a title which will be a console seller.

um you know gta IV is coming out on the 360 too right, it saves you waiting a looong time and also money till the ps3 price drops, also wii already owns this gen, why, well for three simple reasons as i see it
1.wii is overhyped and its fun "party factor" meets that hype so casuals will buy in with all the minigames and casual games(they dig the wiimote)

2.wii has nintendo hardcore gamers in the palm of their hand with the big three, mario, metroid, and smash bros., and you can be sure we'll hear something at e3 about the next mario kart, pikmin, and animal crossing,(cant forget 3rd party devs :D )

3.wii sports, let's face it thats a system seller if there ever was one, especially to casuals who think different like "wow $250 and a free game sure :p "

simple reasons but so damn true

Kramer
June 30th, 2007, 15:00
Id say this is major bullshit, Aussies dont know whats good and whats shit when it comes to video games(most anyway) but there not stupid enough to spend $1000 on a console which is advertised as a bluray player.

Cokemusic
June 30th, 2007, 19:24
um you know gta IV is coming out on the 360 too right, it saves you waiting a looong time and also money till the ps3 price drops, also wii already owns this gen, why, well for three simple reasons as i see it
1.wii is overhyped and its fun "party factor" meets that hype so casuals will buy in with all the minigames and casual games(they dig the wiimote)

2.wii has nintendo hardcore gamers in the palm of their hand with the big three, mario, metroid, and smash bros., and you can be sure we'll hear something at e3 about the next mario kart, pikmin, and animal crossing,(cant forget 3rd party devs :D )

3.wii sports, let's face it thats a system seller if there ever was one, especially to casuals who thidifferent like "wow $250 and a free game sure :p "

simple reasons but so damn true

Both points 1&2 don't proove anything , that's the kinda stuff that keeps a console for a year (2 years tops ) . The hype will eventualy run out and then people will clearyly see how garbage the Wii is , in my opinion "next gen Wii" is oxymoronic.

Everyone knows that Sony will be depending on GTA IV as a title that'll sell consoles , so I'm pretty sure that they'll do everything they can to make sure the release of GTA IV is delayed for as long a possible on the 360.

It's all about consistency and we'll see in the near future that the Wii will lack in it , I can't see Wii going strong for another 2 years with the real next generation competiton.

VampDude
June 30th, 2007, 21:08
The wii has been out longer.....i think??

on another note: All over the news here is that australia's 21st millionth resident is about to be born, taking long enough eh? even tho 21 million aint that much compered to other countries.

There is only a day or two between the 2 consoles in the states, but here in the UK the Wii came out in December and the PS3 came out in March giving the Wii a head start.

lmtlmt
July 1st, 2007, 01:22
Id say this is major bullshit, Aussies dont know whats good and whats shit when it comes to video games(most anyway) but there not stupid enough to spend $1000 on a console which is advertised as a bluray player.

You calling me stupid?

emuking
July 1st, 2007, 02:16
Both points 1&2 don't proove anything , that's the kinda stuff that keeps a console for a year (2 years tops ) . The hype will eventualy run out and then people will clearyly see how garbage the Wii is , in my opinion "next gen Wii" is oxymoronic.

Everyone knows that Sony will be depending on GTA IV as a title that'll sell consoles , so I'm pretty sure that they'll do everything they can to make sure the release of GTA IV is delayed for as long a possible on the 360.

It's all about consistency and we'll see in the near future that the Wii will lack in it , I can't see Wii going strong for another 2 years with the real next generation competiton.

if gta 4 comes out the same day on both consoles sony is screwed, especially if 360 gets it first, remember gta is no longer an exclusive so sony already lost that, madden also looks much better in 360, dont believe me check out the videos at ign or 1up, madden runs in 60 frames on 360 and 30 on ps3, this has already been confirmed, there is nothing going for the ps3 now, it might be the next sega even, its only life support now is mgs 4 and ff13, and im pretty sure it wont be consistent at all if thats all it has to rely on, and no im not a fanboy i love all consoles, just ps3 alot less than wii and 360 :)

Wezwee
July 1st, 2007, 03:11
I find it funny that these sony fanboys say how developers will soon find it hard to fine new innovative ways to use the Wii & its remote...
Isn't it just the same with any console? Same joypad throughout the consoles life... like it matters, the Wii's remote can be used sideways like a normal joypad, and if its uncomfy, you can buy a grip for it. Not to mention the ability to plug extra accessories into it (eg. the classic controller & the nunchuk, who knows what else will arrive?)

Sony cant do anything about the GTA IV 360 release, all they have to offer in games are mainly sequels. And hopefully the "Yeah, that game is just a port from the playstation" crap will finally stop. (I cannot believe how many people say multiformat games are just crappy ports from the Playstation, even though they;re from different teams and sometimes different publishers!).

Sure I only own a Wii atm, and I know theres a lack of good games for it at the moment too, And I believe MS will probably win this round.
The only way Sony will squeeze some extra cash at the end of the generation will be to make another slimmed down version of their console.

I admit, the PS3 graphics capabilities are pretty - well - brilliant, which was on Demo at a local gamestation. But the 360's do match up. And no, developers havnt reached the limit of the Wii's capabilities. They'll always find a new technique to get more out of it.

- oh and I thought of an 'innovative' flaw with the PS3... rumble, and cupboard space.

mesosade
July 1st, 2007, 08:36
Wait, who's outselling who?!?!?!?! first it's the wii....nthan the 360...someone make up thier mind O_O

Cokemusic
July 1st, 2007, 09:05
I find it funny that these sony fanboys say how developers will soon find it hard to fine new innovative ways to use the Wii & its remote...
Isn't it just the same with any console? Same joypad throughout the consoles life... like it matters, the Wii's remote can be used sideways like a normal joypad, and if its uncomfy, you can buy a grip for it. Not to mention the ability to plug extra accessories into it (eg. the classic controller & the nunchuk, who knows what else will arrive?)

Sony cant do anything about the GTA IV 360 release, all they have to offer in games are mainly sequels. And hopefully the "Yeah, that game is just a port from the playstation" crap will finally stop. (I cannot believe how many people say multiformat games are just crappy ports from the Playstation, even though they;re from different teams and sometimes different publishers!).

Sure I only own a Wii atm, and I know theres a lack of good games for it at the moment too, And I believe MS will probably win this round.
The only way Sony will squeeze some extra cash at the end of the generation will be to make another slimmed down version of their console.

I admit, the PS3 graphics capabilities are pretty - well - brilliant, which was on Demo at a local gamestation. But the 360's do match up. And no, developers havnt reached the limit of the Wii's capabilities. They'll always find a new technique to get more out of it.

- oh and I thought of an 'innovative' flaw with the PS3... rumble, and cupboard space.

The Wii mote is one of the top selling points for the Wii , a point like that will soon be worth nothing in a few years.

How the hell can people say the Xbox 360 is on level grounds with the PS3 in terms of performance IT'S NOT the PS3 is far more advanced , keep in mind developers have had much longer time to make games for the Xbox 360 and have a better understanding of how to unleash it's full potential , PS3 isn't even in it's first year you can't expect it to be at it's best. Plus 360's are garbage , i've heard and seen countless reports ofthis piece of poorly created garbage malfunctioning.

I won't even bother comparing the Wii to the PS3 in terms of specs , all the Wii is , is an over hyped gamecube with a motion controller and slightly improved graphics , call me a Sony fanboy ( despite the fact that I don't really like Sony ) but the Wii sucks no matter how you try to spin the truth.

sKilled
July 1st, 2007, 12:57
Comparing the Wii and the PS3 is like comparing the PSP with the DS - apples and oranges. They target different markets, Wii (like the DS) is a fun machine, whilst the PS3 (like the PSP) is more suited for those who get immersed in gaming as well as other multimedia - hence the HD playback capacity of the PS3, unlike the Wii. It's as fruitless (no pun intended) as comparing sales of the Porsche Cayenne with the Landrover Defender - sure they're both 4x4 (on paper) but that's where the similarities also end.

Cokemusic
July 1st, 2007, 19:33
Comparing the Wii and the PS3 is like comparing the PSP with the DS - apples and oranges. They target different markets, Wii (like the DS) is a fun machine, whilst the PS3 (like the PSP) is more suited for those who get immersed in gaming as well as other multimedia - hence the HD playback capacity of the PS3, unlike the Wii. It's as fruitless (no pun intended) as comparing sales of the Porsche Cayenne with the Landrover Defender - sure they're both 4x4 (on paper) but that's where the similarities also end.

That's very true , the Nintendo fanboys can't accept that the PS3 is currently the most advanced next gen gaming device , so they present the "Wii sold more units than PS3" I've given up arguing against this because they still never listen.

iceman100
July 1st, 2007, 20:23
LOl in 3-4 years it will be too late, and hell even 1 years from now it won't matter. More advanced doesn't seem to be selling units my friend, and if nintendo owns japan then it's only a matter of time before they become another sega. The only thing that people like yourself doesn't understand is that everybody else does know it's the most advanced...console, but pales in comparison to the pc it just it an outdated piece of tech.

VampDude
July 1st, 2007, 21:51
That's very true , the Nintendo fanboys can't accept that the PS3 is currently the most advanced next gen gaming device , so they present the "Wii sold more units than PS3" I've given up arguing against this because they still never listen.

I'm no a Nintendo fanboy, but everybody wants Nintendo lately...

...Try saying to the Japanese that the PS3 is better than the Wii, they will agree but still chose the Wii. Nintendo is currently #1 all over the world (except in Australia), chances are that even thou the Wii isn't as advanced as the PS3 people actually prefer it due to playability

Cokemusic
July 1st, 2007, 22:24
Wii is #1 in sales but apart from that it falls short in every other department. I'd give my 9 year old brother one but being a serious gamer I wouldn't be found dead beside one.

"Wii" even the name sucks , Gl with your dressed up gamecubes while i'm playing ultra realistic , ultra high def and most importantly ultra fun PS3 action.

I'm not buying a PS3 right now because I just don't have the time to play it my PSP keeps me occupied , later on in December me and all my other friends who were eager for a price drop in the PS3 will defineltey be purchasing a unit.

VampDude
July 1st, 2007, 23:12
Wii is #1 in sales but apart from that it falls short in every other department. I'd give my 9 year old brother one but being a serious gamer I wouldn't be found dead beside one.

"Wii" even the name sucks , Gl with your dressed up gamecubes while i'm playing ultra realistic , ultra high def and most importantly ultra fun PS3 action.

I'm not buying a PS3 right now because I just don't have the time to play it my PSP keeps me occupied , later on in December me and all my other friends who were eager for a price drop in the PS3 will defineltey be purchasing a unit.

Sound and graphics isn't everything thou!

emuking
July 2nd, 2007, 01:57

dude ps3 is garbage 360 is better, but lets be honest, no one hates nintendo, this is a fact, think about it people complain about their image, that theyre too kiddy, ps fans like ps because they are more adult, the only reason that ps fans dont like wii (not hate, remember the kiddy image) is because they cannot simply view wii better than sony or should i say adult like sony because the image they have of sony is that they are hardcore, that is what makes a sony fanboy thus any fanboy, their image of one company remains the same if it has been positive for them (ps2,ps2 duh) nintendo has good games so does sony of course, just remember you dont hate nintendo, you just think they cant live up to your ps2, maybe psp too :), there is a reason why there is nintendo fans, like you a sony fan they have the image that the games they play on their system is the most hardcore of hardcore, this is true for all three systems and both hanhelds they all have good games, some more than others but still good games, just give nintnedo a chance and you will find out why there are people out there who love nintendo as much as you love sony, remember you can never really hate a company if you love another, take this advice from someone who loves nintendo and sony :)

Cokemusic
July 2nd, 2007, 08:39
PS3 > 360 > Wii , I never said I never liked nintendo ,infact I have an admiration for the company I just think they failed at targeting the general audicence they intended to it's not the console for a proper gamer.

I'm not a Playstation fanboy , I owned a gameboy advance , DS and gamecube in the past and the only games that I really took an interest was Smash Bros meleee ,zelda and pokemon (WTF ??LOL) apart from that the rest of my collection was multi platform.

grantlionheart
July 3rd, 2007, 01:26
Well 50,000 huh but you have to consider with such a high price tag once all the rich people buy one the market will halt, not many people can afford the 1000$ for a console and many will either go 360-wii so good on ya sony for your sales but.. will it last?

lmtlmt
July 3rd, 2007, 13:39
I never expected this thread to go so so long and so much argument in it.

wiggy fuzz
July 3rd, 2007, 15:41
ps3 is for adult gamers? wii is for kids? *cough* manhunt 2 - banned in the uk (wii)

*cough* go pizzle (puzzle - i meant puzzle) (ps3 download)

hope that messes up with the farce (force - i meant force)

mcdougall57
July 4th, 2007, 01:44
I'm no a Nintendo fanboy, but everybody wants Nintendo lately..

thats because simplicity is bliss

VampDude
July 4th, 2007, 22:52
thats because simplicity is bliss

Indeed it is, and Nintendo are almost taking full control of the market now :)

Cokemusic
July 5th, 2007, 09:39
Indeed it is, and Nintendo are almost taking full control of the market now :)

Simplicity is boring and empty apart from being well....Simple.

As for nintendo taking full control of the market , Meh it's still a year at least before you can stap blabing about Nintnedo being market leaders.