PDA

View Full Version : Just got an idea...

v14d4m1r
June 29th, 2007, 14:00
Why not add a function that would make the PSP still put out sound from its speakers although the audio jack is inserted? That way, people wouldn't have to buy a cable from pc-mobile, and have earphones or another pair of speakers just to hear the voice directions that are coming with version 0.5.

r2000
June 29th, 2007, 14:13
It would not work.
It is an a hardware thing.
Just like plugging a headphone into the PC output jack, the speakers will be disabled.

Software cannot change it.

v14d4m1r
June 29th, 2007, 14:32
And you know that how?

skylife
June 30th, 2007, 01:24
why don't you just buy a PSP-290, that way you don't have to mess around with batteries either.

they're cheap and work great.

sKilled
June 30th, 2007, 04:06
@ v14d4m1r

It is a simple short circuit - when there is no headphone jack to bridge the gap between the connectors inside then the juice (and therefore the signals) flow to the speakers, but once you insert the headphone jack the circuit is 'broken' and the juice flows to the headphones. It's a rather simple, and therefore reliable, method that's been used for decades. There is rarely, if ever, any software involved except that it recognises that headphones are being used or not and adjusts the sound output accordingly.

IndianCheese
June 30th, 2007, 05:56
Actually, it is very possible. If you take a picture with the Chotto Shot camera, no matter what your volume level is or if you have headphones plugged in, it makes a picture-taking sound through the speakers of the PSP at max volume. (I believe that they did this cause people have been using cameras to take upskirt pictures.) So there is a software workaround somewhere.

deniska
June 30th, 2007, 07:21
Actually, it is very possible. If you take a picture with the Chotto Shot camera, no matter what your volume level is or if you have headphones plugged in, it makes a picture-taking sound through the speakers of the PSP at max volume. (I believe that they did this cause people have been using cameras to take upskirt pictures.) So there is a software workaround somewhere.

I don't have the chotto shot nor familiar with the software it uses, but can you use it in conjustion with other programs through IRShell or some other multitasking environment?

r2000
June 30th, 2007, 13:02
It has nothing to do with the chotto camera.
Whenever there is sound, be it mp3, games, or whatever noise the software makes, it comes out of the PSP speaker!

If you put a headphone into the headphone jack, sound through PSP speaker is cut off and comes out of the headphone.

It really is simple as that.

I do not think you can programme the sound to come out only through the PSP speaker (when it is occupied), or the headphone jack, for that matter.

Nieko
June 30th, 2007, 16:39
I have just tested this with my Chotto Shot, and IndianCheese is right. With the headphones plugged in, the shutter sound is still clearly coming from both PSP speakers.

r2000
June 30th, 2007, 17:48
So that is possible in the programming.

No wondon I came across some utility to "disable" or change the shutter sound so as to keep quiet when taking picures.

Nieko
June 30th, 2007, 18:13
Heh, I can tell that plugin works wonderfully ;)

MIB.42
June 30th, 2007, 22:25
I have just tested this with my Chotto Shot, and IndianCheese is right. With the headphones plugged in, the shutter sound is still clearly coming from both PSP speakers.

That is wicked! Maybe some body ( hmmm, me?! ) could take apart the PSP's headphone connector to see if it has that bridge sKilled described. This is really cool! In my past x hundred years in electric engineering this is the first time - for me - to come across this "have the speaker enabled while the earphone is plugg'd in"... Sparked my interest in this you have...

Nieko
July 1st, 2007, 08:34
When someone knows how it can be done, instead of building this into MapThis, wouldn't it be a nicer idea to just write a plugin (prx) for it?

I can't really think of another program that would need this, but who knows :)